Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are approximately 105,000 ventilators in the US right now.

But 80% are currently in use on critically ill people

So there are only ~20,000 free to use on the incoming severely ill with COVID-19.

And about 3,000,000 Americans who are predicted to be in this category

You do the math: It ain't good
What a sad state of affairs......

• March 5, 2020
LONDON — Ventilators in short supply. Intensive care beds already overflowing. Some health workers buying their own face masks or hoods. And if cases of the deadly coronavirus surge in anything like the numbers some experts have predicted, doctors say they would have to consider denying lifesaving care to the frailest patients to prioritize those with better chances of surviving.

“If we haven’t got ventilatory support to offer them, it’s going to end in death,” said Dr. George Priestley, an intensive care doctor and anesthesiologist in Yorkshire in northern England. “I don’t want to be alarmist. I just want someone to pay attention.”

Canada must take immediate steps to prepare itself for potential COVID-19 pandemic, experts say
''Another crucial issue is a potential lack of ventilators, said David Fisman, an epidemiologist at the University of Toronto’s Dalla Lana School of Public Health. If the virus starts spreading freely in Canada, ventilators will be important in the treatment of patients, particularly those over the age of 65, who appear to experience the worst effects, he said.

“There aren’t enough,” said Dr. Fisman, who is also an attending physician at Toronto Western Hospital. “There’s not a lot of clarity and there’s not a lot of leadership and there’s not a strong voice … in terms of how do you prepare in hospitals.”

Dr. McCready said she believes hospitals may have enough ventilators, but need guidance on how to make difficult choices about how to assign priority to patients who are critically ill with COVID-19.

“We need to be thinking about these decisions now, before I have 10 people in my emergency department who range from 30 to 90 years old who all need a ventilator and we only have five ventilators,” she said.''

We have thousands angry that their kid isn’t going to be able to show their pig or cow or whatever at the Houston rodeo. Not even kidding. They think this whole thing is ridiculous, the media has blown it completely out of proportion, and there was no reason to cancel the rest of the rodeo.

So, to answer your question, no, I don’t think all (or even most, sadly) folks would be on board with self quarantining for a few weeks to put a stop to this virus.

They’ve got pigs and cows to show. Among other asinine reasons why people can’t pause their life to stop a pandemic.

Some people are selfish. They’d prefer their kid get the blue ribbon & big check for prize hog. The same people would want to sue someone if they got the novel C, imo. Some don’t want to limit their public exposure, they think if the rest of us stay home we clear the coast for them. Look how many people drive thru high flood waters even tho we know “turn around don’t drown”.
The KY Derby is still appx 6 weeks out, I’m curious how it might change this year. The two weeks leading up to the Derby we have a lot of very large get togethers. Will anyone be allowed to attend, if they have the guts to go?

Reposting for anyone who thinks they’re in the “most people won’t die” category. Written by a doctor in Western Europe. Please read the entire article and give it some thought. Thank you.

“Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.”

Young and unafraid of the coronavirus? Good for you. Now stop killing people | Opinion

Not a chance! Canada has expressed concerned about the suppression of information South of the border for some time, especially keeping an eye on the situation on the West Coast. Other countries, and especially the WHO, would like to see the USA take the coronavirus more seriously.
Hi @otto Are you guys having luck with the availability of testing? How are you all set for ICU rooms, staff and ventalators?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, to keep things in perspective. That's only .0016 of the world population, including the extremely high numbers in China, Italy, Iran and South Korea. The US number, taken alone, is infinitesimmaly low.

Wondering how it's possible to have a perspective on how many cases the US actually has when there hasn't been a meaningful level of testing in the US yet.

is it expected 3mil will need vents’? Ty

The short answer is no.

The Coronavirus Outbreak Is About To Put Hospital Capacity To A Severe Test | HuffPost

The U.S. currently has about 160,000 ventilators available, taking into account both what hospitals have on hand and what the government keeps in an emergency stockpile. That is probably sufficient to handle a moderate outbreak *** In the worst-case scenario, doctors would have to ration the use of the machines, potentially deciding which patients get them and which patients don’t.

Nobody is saying this scenario is likely.

I am so furious at one country that keeps exposing the world to these viruses...again and again and again.
What the hell is wrong with these people?
Their chosen lifestyles have infected the entire world for God's sake.
For anyone who wants to tell me, how great the people of this country are.
I have curse words in response.
One country that continuously infects this planet and her inhabitants, has terrible issues.
I'm a fricking thousands of miles away, and myself and hundreds of thousands of good people are in serious distress, because of this country and it's backward, cruel culture.
Seriously pissed off that we have to deal, and suffer because of this country.
Are you referring to the country we count on for over 90% of our medical supplies?

• March 5, 2020
LONDON — Ventilators in short supply. Intensive care beds already overflowing. Some health workers buying their own face masks or hoods. And if cases of the deadly coronavirus surge in anything like the numbers some experts have predicted, doctors say they would have to consider denying lifesaving care to the frailest patients to prioritize those with better chances of surviving.

“If we haven’t got ventilatory support to offer them, it’s going to end in death,” said Dr. George Priestley, an intensive care doctor and anesthesiologist in Yorkshire in northern England. “I don’t want to be alarmist. I just want someone to pay attention.”

So....Why are we still allowing flights from the U.K.?

COVID-19 vs seasonal flu: What you need to know about both
https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/...easonal-flu-what-you-need-to-know-about-both/
The numbers are constantly changing, but as of now the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that more 34 million people have been sickened by the flu, from 350,000 to 620,000 people have been hospitalized, and from 20,000 to 52,000 people have died from it.

"Right now, the number of COVID-19 cases pales in comparison to the number of flu cases," says Dr. Poland.

The short answer is no.

The Coronavirus Outbreak Is About To Put Hospital Capacity To A Severe Test | HuffPost

The U.S. currently has about 160,000 ventilators available, taking into account both what hospitals have on hand and what the government keeps in an emergency stockpile. That is probably sufficient to handle a moderate outbreak *** In the worst-case scenario, doctors would have to ration the use of the machines, potentially deciding which patients get them and which patients don’t.

Nobody is saying this scenario is likely.

reports are so conflicting, I can totally confuse my brain.

Wondering how it's possible to have a perspective on how many cases the US actually has when there hasn't been a meaningful level of testing in the US yet.

Wondering that too. Anyone who talks about how few cases exist in the U.S. isn’t paying attention. In the past couple of days since testing has increased slightly, so have the cases. I can’t imagine why!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia