Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My post on Facebook, LOL:

When the woman in front of you in line at BJ’s asks if today is a holiday or something :rolleyes::p

Attachments

• IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 101
This may have been posted already, but if not, here is the Ministry of Health page for Ontario. It lists the ages, genders, transmission/travel and status of those who have had positive test results. The site is updated daily.

Although the US isn't yet named as a "Currently Affected Area", most of the cases in ON seem to have been transmitted through travel to the US and close contact. It also shows an affected age group which is younger than I expected.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-3

What this tells me is ...the Canadians are like "our canary in a coal mine" ..if they are bringing the virus to Canada from the US, we have many, many more cases here than we are discovering. Which I know is true, but do others realize it?

I ask myself this all day long. Especially when in a public restroom & I notice how many women do not wash their hands or their children’s hands. Then they are right back in the store touching shelved items. Makes me sick!

I have witnessed some really gross things in public restrooms. If we have to rely on other hygienic practices we're all screwed.

"It's really an uneasy situation for us." The head of an Italian cardiac surgery department said the coronavirus outbreak has forced his department to suspend operations to make room for coronavirus patients Italian cardiologist says surgical department has been shut down to make room for coronavirus patients
This is the health issue that will imperil even those who are not considered high-risk.

It could also impede surgical care of trauma patients, transplant patients, those awaiting orthopedic or cancer procedures.

Right. I totally get that decreasing crowd size reduces spread. But 250 is arbitrary- and meanwhile events for my children with 200 people for example are continuing along. The advice from many is to limit one’s exposure to groups much smaller than 250. My county, Santa Clara County, has suggested (not mandated and they are being mealy-mouthed about it, but still), 50 people.

It is not arbitrary. This is based on scientific evidence. Public health is a continuously funded field of study.

Public health measures: Canadian Pandemic Influenza Preparedness: Planning Guidance for the Health Sector - Canada.ca

Community-based measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Canada - Canada.ca

Long queues were seen at Madrid's Barajas airport as travelers rushed to board flights back to the U.S. before President Trump’s Europe ban goes into effect Friday midnight 'It caused a mass panic': travelers in Europe rush to get back to U.S. after Trump order Reuters on Twitter

Anyone want to take bets that there will be no temperature screening at US airports of all these passengers coming back from places that have seen a large number of cases lately.

We know screening doesnt catch them all but it would be nice if we at least tried to catch some cases before they start spreading to others. Most may be healthy, but we have seen purposeful exits of sick people that wanted to get out of their country.

Spain current case count = 3,059 with 86 deaths.

Spain Coronavirus: 3,059 Cases and 86 Deaths - Worldometer

The UK government has updated its coronavirus advice, following the latest emergency meeting of ministers and their advisers this afternoon. Here are the key points.
  • if you have symptoms of coronavirus infection (COVID-19), however mild, stay at home and do not leave your house for 7 days from when your symptoms started.
  • this action will help protect others in your community whilst you are infectious.
  • plan ahead and ask others for help to ensure that you can successfully stay at home.
  • ask your employer, friends and family to help you to get the things you need to stay at home.
  • stay at least 2 metres (about 3 steps) away from other people in your home whenever possible.
  • sleep alone, if that is possible.
  • wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, each time using soap and water.
  • stay away from vulnerable individuals such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions as much as possible.
  • you do not need to call NHS111 to go into self-isolation. If your symptoms worsen during home isolation or are no better after 7 days contact NHS 111 online. If you have no internet access, you should call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999.

Coronavirus live updates: death toll in Italy passes 1,000
This sounds like the most reasonable advice I have read of in a while

The GIS map has been down most of the day. Did you see this cruise ship number? Is that really from just those two ships - California and Japan? This is from when it was working earlier today.

Attachments

• Cruise Ship.jpg
    Cruise Ship.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 27
US does not have a system in place to test like foreign counties, lawmakers told

Several members emerged from a House briefing on the coronavirus pandemic saying that they were told that tests would increase — but that the briefers acknowledged that the US system is trying to catch up to other countries like South Korea.

“I don’t think anyone is going to leave that briefing satisfied with what’s going on with testing right now," Democrat Rep. Mike Quigley said. "Bottom line, you leave that briefing and we are not where we need to be and not sure when we are going to get there. We are flying blind.” He added: “I think the first thing they said was we don’t have a system that works like it does in other countries to adequately test at this time."

Rep. Jan Schawkowsky said that they were told 7,300 tests have been conducted by the public sector and 3,800 tests by private labs.

“I think everyone leaving that briefing is feeling more confused than ever and disappointed in the numbers that we heard — that we really don’t have a system that tests are being distributed and tests are being given,” Schakowsky said.

Live updates: Coronavirus US travel ban hits 26 European countries - CNN
We've know about COVID-19 since December and this rather impressive fact is just being noticed by Congress ?

And outdoor walks. The fresh air and birds chirping works wonders. (Guess that depends on where each one lives.) Walk indoors if needed. My kitchen - dining room-living room make a good loop.

Take care of yourself most importantly. You can't help anyone if you yourself go down. xo
I was wiping down doorknobs and countertops this morning and thought of opening windows and doors (if possible) to let some fresh air in-germs out. It'll do all of us some good to take a break from the news and reality and phone a friend/child/grandchild, not discussing the virus and focus on something that makes us smile for a few. These are trying times but we have to take care of each other and ourselves. I personally am missing my kids & grandkids badly, in the midst of my anxiety. Think I will Facetime later for some "love relief". MOO xoxoxoxo

Coronavirus: 27 new cases in Ireland, six patients now in ICU

There are now 70 total cases in the country, an increase from 43 yesterday.

There are 20 cases in Northern Ireland as of this afternoon, bringing the total number of cases on the island of Ireland to 90.

The new cases in the Republic were confirmed to be:

• 22 cases associated with local transmission
  • Two associated with community transmission,
  • Three associated with travel
ETA: Second death reported this evening

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online