Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM.

Just adding to this post about the UK, I had to read this a few times as I thought I was reading it wrong. UK police can force schools to stay open.

The Times reported the laws could also give police and immigration officers to detain people if they are suspected of being infected and the ability to direct schools to stay open. The newspaper said the laws could remain in place for two years.

standard.co.uk/news/health/uk-herd-immunity-coronavirus-who-margaret-harris-a4387346.html
I'm not on board with this idea basically because we don't know if herd immunity is even a possibility. It's not with influenza A or B without a vaccine, which we don't have for covid19.

Bumping my same post from yesterday. Frustrated :(

May I please make a request that everyone please be extra cognizant and meticulous about posting reference links to accompany content going forward. I’m seeing A LOT of posts without links and moos. It is really really important to keep everything clean here, especially as things may continue to become more hectic. Thanks in advance. I’m not a moderator nor do I pretend to be, but I have been known to become the link police if I have to. :) Waves and hugs everyone

@JerseyGirl
@KayElJay

Last edited:
Aye yi yi. This is the story of me and my husband's life this week. I finally able to get through to my best friend in her 70's, by asking who was going to take care of her cat if she got sick and ended up in the hospital. Another couple only had concerns about Church being cancelled. The rest are pissed off over the NBA being cancelled. They have not prepared at all. My family will be there to help them if they get into trouble. These people I love are stressing me out more than the coronavirus right now!
Our gov ’ asked churches to close. The first churches to close did so out of fear after the KY/Wmt employee likely infected a large percentage of a very small town, thru no fault of her own. Now, our Governor asked all churches to close, idk if all will. Gov’ or his sidekick mentioned singing as a source of transmission. (Left hand-right hand) Some of us want to cover our our faces and another group wants to sing hymns. I’m to the point if I’m in a store soon, I’ll keep my mouth shut. Less chance of ingesting germs in the air. Lol if a church remains open, will anyone attend?

Emerging Diseases

MARCH 6, 2020
COVID-19 Infects GI Tract, a Possible Route of Viral Transmission

By David Wild

Researchers in China are warning that the virus causing the novel coronavirus infection COVID-19, which has affected over 100,000 people and killed more than 3,200 globally, can potentially be transmitted through feces.

The reports, published online in Gastroenterology, found that more than 50% of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 have the virus in their stool; some patients have vomiting and diarrhea; and some test positive for virus in stool even after respiratory samples test negative for the pathogen.

“A better understanding of how this virus is transmitted is key to preventing its spread,” said Douglas Corley, MD, PhD, the director of delivery science and applied research and a gastroenterologist and research scientist at Kaiser Permanente, Northern California, and the co-editor of Gastroenterology. Dr. Corley was not involved in the research. “These observations may help improve how the disease is more efficiently diagnosed through testing for the presence of virus in the stool of patients suspected of harboring this virus.”

(this for me is more frightening than a sneeze/cough transmission. We had two years of constant restaurant closings due to Hepatitis. Most cases were linked to restaurant/food court staff.) Lexington has 100+ restaurants on probation for health violations; hepatitis A raises concern, but no cases have been related to food – Kentucky Health News many more links out here about the hep crisis the last couple years. So, if Covid 19 travels the fecal-oral route, buckle up, imo.
Iirc, our largest state mall had to shut their food court down last year to sanitize it.

Last edited:
Making a last trip to store today for hopefully a couple weeks- what am I forgetting?! Do y’all think cough expectorant would help or what medicine in case we get it?
My little one says we need ingredients to make pies!

I agree about the pie ingredients, (Hey, and today is Pi(e) day, 3/14!)

I not only stocked up on my usual pantry stuff, but I added a supply of things I might want if I were to be ill (ill with anything, cold, flu, etc -- anything that would cause me to not want to go out into the stores and interact with others) so I now have two boxes of mac-and-cheese comfort food, as well as several boxes of chicken soup and a box of crackers, even though that's not something I would usually keep on hand. Plus I bought some Nyquil and throat lozenges, the stuff I use for every cold, so that I don't have to go shopping while sick. That's a strategy I should have been applying for years!

Scottish coronavirus cases rise to 121

Coronavirus: Confirmed Scottish cases rise to 121

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Scotland has risen to 121.

Saturday's figures rose by 36 in 24 hours - the highest daily rise so far - after the country suffered its first fatality on Friday.

The elderly patient in the Lothian NHS area had existing underlying medical conditions.

A total of 3,715 people have been tested in Scotland. Across the UK, 798 people have been confirmed as positive and 10 more people have died.

The total number of UK deaths is now 21.

Good morning everyone. Playing catch-up here and still reading through the last thread. I did want to thank @justbeachy, who mentioned elderly people who live alone without a lot of contact. It made me think of a neighbour, so today I’m popping a note through her door offering to do an online grocery shop for her. She can put a list through my letterbox, I’ll place the order and it’ll be delivered to her home. Voila. No human contact needed.
As an introvert, I feel my whole life has been building towards this. ;)
That was so nice of you to mention my post. And I'm sure your neighbor will be so thankful for your gesture. In times like this I'm always reminded of that famous Mister Rogers' quote: When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

Last edited:
What is the one state? I'm in WV and not aware of any cases or even suspected cases here. I'm way behind on reading and trying to play catch up. TIA

Yes, WV is the only state to have no known cases of COVID-19.

The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) reports there are no confirmed cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in West Virginia.

As Friday night, West Virginia, through its public health lab, has tested 31 residents for COVID-19, with 26 results coming back negative and 5 pending...

UPDATE: West Virginia closes schools, still no confirmed COVID-19 cases

Making a last trip to store today for hopefully a couple weeks- what am I forgetting?! Do y’all think cough expectorant would help or what medicine in case we get it?
My little one says we need ingredients to make pies!

I would have these on hand:

- fever and pain medicine - acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- antidiarrheal med
- thermometer
- fluids w/ electrolytes
- multi-vitamin
- decongestant - IF high blood pressure, one that is safe for those w/ HBP
- throat lozenges

MOO

- And the stuff to make pies

Coronavirus: Spain poised for lockdown as infection spreads

Citizens are to be told to stay at home except to buy food or medicines, go to hospital, go to work or other emergencies.

Spain is poised to go into lockdown over the coronavirus pandemic as the number of confirmed cases rises.

The Spanish government is to tell all citizens to stay home except to buy food or medicines, go to hospital, go to work or other emergencies, according to a draft decree seen by the Reuters news agency.

It comes after the number of people with the infection increased by more than 1,500 to 5,753.

Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said a two-week state of emergency will come into force as the number of dead from COVID-19 - the disease caused by coronavirus - rose to 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot