Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily Quarantine Questions:

What am I GRATEFUL for today?
Who am I CHECKING IN ON or CONNECTING WITH today?
What expectations of "normal" am I LETTING GO of today?
How am I GETTING OUTSIDE today?
How am I MOVING MY BODY today?
What BEAUTY am I either creating, cultivating, or inviting in today?

One of my dearest friends heads up a branch of the program called Family Promise in her city. (familypromise .org) This list of questions is her message today. I think it puts so much into perspective. I hope you appreciate it as much as I do.

These are great. I especially like the "moving our body" one. For those used to working out at a gym, they may find it a little difficult to do their training at home because they dont have all the equipment that the gym has but there are many simple exercises that can be done without equipment or by using things around the house. Like if you dont have weights and want to just do some arm reps using weights, then you can lift up a gallon jug or 1/2 gallon jug of water and pull them up and down. Also regular sit ups and push ups can be done without any equipment.

Most people do have at least some exercise equipment for home use. I was lucky enough years ago to invest in the "Total Gym" machine and I love it. Its the first home workout device that I have run into that actually is a little fun to use because of its moving parts. Doing the leg pushes up the inclined ramp is actually sort of fun. Well at least as fun as a workout can be. :)

Total Gym FIT | Total Gym

I'M loving this OHIO GOVERNOR!!

Reuters: OHIO WILL POSTPONE TUESDAY PRIMARY ELECTION DESPITE JUDGE'S REFUSAL, CITING PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY - GOVERNOR

Vincent Lee on Twitter

No offense to anyone here, but there are some people in denial in Ohio. You should see the comments that this is a conspiracy to affect the election.....even a prosecutor that says this is disturbing. What's disturbing is his dismissal of human life. A percentage of Ohioans wont be voting EVER in a couple of months.

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

I agree, Governor DeWine in Ohio is doing an amazing job and the Director of the Ohio Department of Health found a way to close down the primary due to the declaration of a health emergency in the state. DeWine said that no one should have to choose between their health and safety and their constitutional rights. The new date for voting in the primary is June 2nd.

This governor gets it. The secretary of state in Ohio had been hearing from a lot of election boards throughout the state concerned about high risk voters over the age of 60, and a lot of the poll workers were worried as well. So when an Ohio judge did not support DeWine's request to close the polls today, the Ohio Department of Health stepped in.

I love the way this man is stepping up. The way he lays out the facts, humanizes the crisis, continues to reach out to the federal government for assistance, proactively tries to get ahead of the issues, and in spite of the facts, still has a way to promote calm.

I need him every morning to stop my heart from racing.

Yes! Everything you've said describes Governor Cuomo!

Even his voice is calming. He explains everything so well and he takes on all of the issues and breaks them down in a way that helps everyone (especially me) understand what is going on.

I loved how he advised remembering to show compassion and kindness, especially at this time when we need to use social distancing. This was so important to hear, especially when he spoke to the panic and fear people are experiencing.

He doesn't offer false hope, he offers ways we can get through this together.

His message is ideal during a time like this.

I love the way this man is stepping up. The way he lays out the facts, humanizes the crisis, continues to reach out to the federal government for assistance, proactively tries to get ahead of the issues, and in spite of the facts, still has a way to promote calm.

I need him every morning to stop my heart from racing.

^^RBBM

Highly organized and rational in his thinking and laying out probs, plans, solutions
Anticipates problems and plans solutions
Remains calm, yet is realistic
Addresses emotional reactions of individuals & families
Willing and able to work w/ other leaders

Well, people I work with are still going to work. There are only about 40 of us and we are sheltered from a lot of people but still..... I am expecting to get told to show up at work or hit the road. Even department stores have drastically adjusted their hours. What is wrong with my co-workers??? Are they trying to be saints???

Happy St. Patrick's Day. This was a special holiday to my dad. He passed away last summer.

Yes Happy St. Patrick's Day.
Remembering the good times with family that are no longer with us.

ETA:
What a stark contrast to the huge weight gain the first week on the Covid diet, emotional eating with junk. My first thoughts went to get beer and ice cream. And trail mix.

Three weeks later I’m on a compleeeetely different path.

Again, I recommend more “meal based” and “nutrition based” food staples.

Think “sustenance” and meals.

Tasty Snacks did not last long at all in my house moo.

Reason #217 - why we love @margarita25 !

WV

Coronavirus worries put West Virginia under a state of emergency

CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) — West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice held another one of his now daily briefings. With health and public safety officials by his side, he declared the state of emergency. But the Governor stopped short of many of his fellow governors, and for now, is not ordering that bars and restaurants close.

“As far as our restaurants and our bars, that may be a situation we address soon. As far as shutting down the Capitol or shutting down our cities, or whatever it may be, it may be a situation we have to address soon,” said Gov. Jim Justice, (R) West Virginia.
Coronavirus worries put West Virginia under a state of emergency

ETA: Right after this briefing, it was reported that he is closing down all restaurants/bars later this afternoon. Drive thru/take out only.

I just finished cooking mashed potatoes and assembling my Shepherd's Pie. Topped potato layer with Kerrygold White Cheddar and dotted with butter for browning. Covered with foil, and it's oven-ready whenever DH wants to eat.

DH had a non-essential medical appointment tomorrow that has been canceled. I'm planning to go to physical therapy tomorrow unless they cancel. My sister thinks she has a UTI and will see her PCP tomorrow afternoon.

All performances of Michigan Opera Theatre's production of Champion have been canceled (we were going to final performance on April 5). Nothing announced yet about American Ballet Theatre's Swan Lake (our tickets are for April 19), but ABT canceled it's performances in Chicago this weekend. Still several weeks away, but maybe they will cancel their Detroit performances, as well.

Well, people I work with are still going to work. There are only about 40 of us and we are sheltered from a lot of people but still..... I am expecting to get told to show up at work or hit the road. Even department stores have drastically adjusted their hours. What is wrong with my co-workers??? Are they trying to be saints???

Happy St. Patrick's Day. This was a special holiday to my dad. He passed away last summer.

Kenzie, officials have advised, Dr Nancy for example and my Governor that employers need to be (can’t think of the word).

Here is what my Governor enacted.

Check your own states for something similar.

Grabbing the document for you, will require full hour of editing time, please allow.

——

ETA:

@Kensie

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Colorado HELP Rules 7 CCR 1103-10 (Temp)_0.pdf

COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
Division of Labor Standards and Statistics
Colorado Health Emergency Leave with Pay (“Colorado HELP”) Rules
7 CCR 1103-10 (2020) ____________________________________________________________________________________ Adopted and effective as temporary or emergency rules on March 11, 2020.
Rule 1. Definitions.
1.1 “COMPS Order” means Colorado Overtime and Minimum Pay Standards Order #36, 7 CCR 1103-1 (2020).
1.2 “C.R.S.” means the Colorado Revised Statutes (2020).
1.3 “Director” means the Director of the Division of Labor Standards and Statistics.
1.4 “Division” means the Division of Labor Standards and Statistics in the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment.
1.5 “Employee” includes all who meet the definition of “employee” under either C.R.S. § 8-1-101(6) or C.R.S. § 8-4-101(5), and “employer” includes all who meet the definition of “employer” under either C.R.S. § 8-1-101(7) or C.R.S. § 8-4-101(6). Both terms include private sector, local government, school district, and public authority employers and employees.
1.6 “MWO” means Colorado Minimum Wage Order #35, 7 CCR 1103-1 (2020).
1.7 “WPA Rules” means the Colorado Wage Protection Act Rules, 7 CCR 1103-7 (2019).
Rule 2. Authority and Incorporation by Reference.
2.1 State of Disaster Emergency. On March 10, 2020, Colorado Governor Jared Polis declared a State of Disaster Emergency as the number of identified coronavirus COVID-19 cases in Colorado and in the United States increased, and announced numerous emergency measures to protect public health and safety, including directing that immediate rulemaking be initiated to provide employees in certain industries with paid sick leave for possible coronavirus cases and testing.
2.2 Authority. These rules are issued under authority of, and as enforcement of, Articles 1, 4, and 6 of C.R.S. Title 8, and are intended to be consistent with the State Administrative Procedures Act, C.R.S. § 24-4-101, et seq. Specific authority includes but is not limited to C.R.S. § 8-1-111 (“The director is vested with the power and jurisdiction to have such supervision of every employment and place of employment in this state as may be necessary adequately to ascertain and determine ... the obedience by the employer to all laws and all lawful orders requiring ... places of employment to be safe, and requiring the protection of the life, health, and safety of every employee ... , and to enforce all provisions of law relating thereto.”), C.R.S. § 8-6-101(1) (“The welfare of the state of Colorado demands that workers be protected from conditions of labor that have a pernicious effect on their health and morals, and it is therefore declared ... that inadequate wages and unsanitary conditions of labor exert such pernicious effect.”), C.R.S. § 8-6-102

(“Whenever this article or any part thereof is interpreted by any court, it shall be liberally construed by such court.”), C.R.S. § 8-6-104 (“It is unlawful to employ workers in any occupation within this state under conditions of labor detrimental to their health or morals.”), C.R.S. § 8-6-106 (“The director shall determine the minimum wages sufficient for living wages ... [and] standards of conditions of labor and hours of employment not detrimental to health or morals for workers....”), C.R.S § 8-6-109(1) (“If after investigation the director is of the opinion that the conditions of employment ... are detrimental to the health or morals or that a substantial number of workers in any occupation are receiving wages, whether by time rate or piece rate, inadequate to supply the necessary costs of living and to maintain the workers in health, the director shall proceed to establish minimum wage rates.”); C.R.S. § 24-4-103(6) (Administrative Procedure Act temporary or emergency rules).
Additional authority derives from the State of Disaster Emergency declared on March 10, 2020, by Colorado Governor Jared Polis, as the number of identified coronavirus COVID-19 cases in Colorado and in the United States increased -- which declaration (A) announced numerous measures to protect public health and safety, including directing rulemaking to provide paid sick leave for employees in certain industries, and (B) supported such action pursuant to executive authority statutes, including but not limited to: C.R.S. 24-33.5-704(2) (“Under this part 7, the governor may issue executive orders, proclamations, and regulations and amend or rescind them. Executive orders, proclamations, and regulations have the force and effect of law.”); C.R.S. 24-33.5-704.5(1)(e) (“In the event of an emergency epidemic that has been declared a disaster emergency, the [expert emergency epidemic response] committee shall convene as rapidly and as often as necessary to advise the governor, who shall act by executive order, regarding reasonable and appropriate measures to reduce or prevent spread of the disease, agent, or toxin and to protect the public health.”); C.R.S. 24-33.5-711.5(2) (“The conduct and management of the affairs and property of each hospital, physician, health insurer or managed health care organization, health care provider, public health worker, or emergency medical service provider shall be such that they will reasonably assist and not unreasonably detract from the ability of the state and the public to successfully control emergency epidemics that are declared a disaster emergency. Such persons and entities that in good faith comply completely with board of health rules regarding the emergency epidemic and with executive orders regarding the disaster emergency shall be immune from civil or criminal liability for any action taken to comply with the executive order or rule.”).
2.3 Incorporation by Reference. These rules incorporate by reference the following statutes and rules: Articles 1, 4, and 6 of C.R.S. Title 8 (2020); the MWO, until March 15, 2020; the COMPS Order, on and after March 16, 2020; and the WPA Rules, 7 CCR 1103-7 (2019). Such incorporation excludes later amendments or editions; all cited laws are incorporated in the forms that are in effect as of the effective date of these rules.
2.4 Availability of cited and incorporated laws. All sources cited or incorporated by reference are available for public inspection at the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment, Division of Labor Standards & Statistics, 633 17th Street, Suite 600, Denver CO 80202. Copies may be obtained from the Division of Labor Standards & Statistics at a reasonable charge. They can be accessed electronically from the website of the Colorado Secretary of State. Pursuant to C.R.S. § 24-4-103(12.5)(b), the agency shall provide certified copies of them at cost upon request or shall provide the requestor with information on how to obtain a certified copy of the material incorporated by reference from the agency originally issuing them.

Rule 3. Paid Sick Leave for Certain Employees.
3.1 Any employer engaged in the field of leisure and hospitality, food services, child care, education at all levels (including related services, including but not limited to cafeterias and transportation to, from, and on campuses), home health care (working with elderly, disabled, ill, or otherwise high-risk individuals), operating a nursing home, or operating a community living facility shall provide up to four days of paid sick leave for an employee (A) with flu-like symptoms and (B) who is being tested for COVID-19. The paid sick leave ends if an employee receives a negative COVID-19 test result.
3.2 These rules do not require an employer to offer additional days of paid sick leave if it already offers all employees an amount of paid leave sufficient to comply with Rules 3.1. However, an employee who already exhausted his or her paid leave allotted by the employer, but then has flu- like symptoms and is being tested for COVID-19, is entitled to the additional paid sick days provided by Rule 3.1.
3.3 During paid sick leave covered by these rules, pay shall be provided (A) at the employee’s regular rate of pay (the COMPS Order Rule 1.8 definition of “regular rate of pay” is incorporated into this rule), including all forms of wages and compensation (but increased to the applicable minimum wage for an employee paid below the minimum wage due to a tip credit), and (B) for the employer’s regularly worked hours. To the extent that the employee’s rate of pay or hours worked had varied before the absence for illness, pay shall be in the amount of the employee’s average daily pay for the preceding month.
3.4 To the extent feasible, employees and employers should comply with the procedures of the federal Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”) to pursue and provide paid sick leave under these rules, except that (A) no employer may terminate an employee for inability to provide documentation during an illness covered by these rules, and (B) FMLA provisions do not narrow the rights and responsibilities provided by these rules.
Rule 4. Enforcement.
4.1 Failure to provide paid sick leave required by these rules is a failure to provide wages under Articles 1, 4, and 6 of C.R.S. Title 8, under the MWO (until March 15, 2020), and under the COMPS Order (on and after March 16, 2020). The Director or a designated agent shall investigate and take all proceedings necessary to enforce these rules, pursuant to the provisions of these rules, of Articles 1, 4, and 6 of C.R.S. Title 8, of the MWO (until March 15, 2020), and of the COMPS Order (on and after March 16, 2020). Violations may be subject to the procedures and remedies of these rules, of Articles 1, 4, and 6 of C.R.S. Title 8, of the MWO (until March 15, 2020), and of the COMPS Order (on and after March 16, 2020). The COMPS Order Rule 8.5 prohibition against reprisals applies to rights provided by these rules.
Rule 5. Interpretation.
5.1 Construction. Under the C.R.S. § 8-6-102 “Construction” provision (“Whenever this article or any part thereof is interpreted by any court, it shall be liberally construed by such court.”), the provisions of these rules shall be liberally construed, with exceptions and exemptions accordingly narrowly construed.
5.2 Division and Dual Jurisdiction. The Division shall have jurisdiction over all questions arising with respect to the administration and interpretation of these rules. Whenever employers are subjected to Colorado law as well as federal and/or local law, the law providing greater protection or setting the higher standard shall apply.

5.3 Separability. These rules are intended to remain in effect to the maximum extent possible. If any part (including any section, sentence, clause, phrase, word, or number) is held invalid, (A) the remainder of each rule remains valid, and (B) if the provision is held not wholly invalid, but merely in need of narrowing, the provision should be retained in narrowed form.
Rule 6. Effective Date and Duration.
6.1 These temporary/emergency rules take effect March 11, 2020, and remain in effect for the longer of (A) 30 days after adoption, or (B) the duration of the State of Disaster Emergency declared by the Governor, up to a maximum of 120 days after adoption of these temporary/emergency rules.

Last edited:

Happy St Patrick's Day Kensie! They aren't trying to be saints- they need to pay bills. Many I work with, that work in the buildings, are hopelessly stuck - Single parent, school is closed, and the choice is pretty evident- stay home with the kids and lose your job, or go to work- and leave kids with at risk grandparents and great grandparents, a neighbor, etc. Others are a bit more fortunate- with older kids, but bills have got to be paid.

Oh my goodness. I would be beside myself with worry. Freezer is full!!!

Yeah that’s rough.

Good idea to run the ice machine now and maybe make some ice blocks, get ice etc to help sustain the freezer IF that happens. It will take up room but can help keep things cold longer.

Thank you. Turned on ice cubes.

JMO, some of it is people who aren't well informed or don't bother to educate themselves. The folks who only watch ESPN and don't bother to read a real news article. People who would never dream of clicking on a link in the "Health & Science" section of their news feed.

I totally agree Betty!

I've said this before, but will say it again...ignorance is very dangerous for us all.

The ones who refuse to sacrifice anything are the very ones who will keep putting everyone else at risk.

Why so many seem to be so self absorbed is really chilling, and incomprehensible to me. Perhaps they haven't ever had to sacrifice anything during their life in order to help or protect others. IDK, but it needs to stop.

Jmho

Last edited:
Coronavirus vaccine trial underway in Seattle: Photos of first shots

(Uses Messenger RNA)

The first shots in the first vaccine trial for the new coronavirus were administered Monday as a small group of volunteers in Seattle will receive varying doses over the next several weeks to test the safety of the experimental vaccine.

Doctors at Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle gave the first shots in the trial aimed at combating the spread of COVID-19.

"Finding a safe and effective vaccine to prevent infection with SARS-CoV-2 is an urgent public health priority," National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci said in a statement. "This Phase 1 study, launched in record speed, is an important first step toward achieving that goal."

Yes! Everything you've said describes Governor Cuomo!

Even his voice is calming. He explains everything so well and he takes on all of the issues and breaks them down in a way that helps everyone (especially me) understand what is going on.

I loved how he advised remembering to show compassion and kindness, especially at this time when we need to use social distancing. This was so important to hear, especially when he spoke to the panic and fear people are experiencing.

He doesn't offer false hope, he offers ways we can get through this together.

His message is ideal during a time like this.

Cuomo really is doing a good job. This is one of those times when experience and skill count. I don't always agree with him on everything, but he's doing the right thing. He has a very big, complicated job that few people are qualified to do. Giving everyone a lesson in civics - how your government works. Another reason why we shouldn't be electing celebrities and CEO's to high public office.

His voice sounds like his dad.

They could and should have done this better. It was very slap dash and last minute. DeWine had to rely on his son, who is a justice on the Ohio Supreme Court, to save his statutory bacon. Sure, junior recused himself from the vote, but the influence was there. It's how Ohio rolls. Our Secy of State wasn't a whole lot of help. I don't think the guy even has a college degree. He got his job because his dad owns a big beer distributorship and donates a lot of money. Similar situation with the head of ODH. Has a medical degree from a diploma mill.

The strange part was that DeWine had to do this. The first judge said the gov was supposed to get the consent of the Ohio legislature. Admittedly, we have a terribly unqualified, crazy, corrupt legislature, but surely he would have been able to get this past them? COVID 19 is an interesting test of our systems of government. People should be paying attention. This is what happens when you get distracted and stop having any control over your elected officials.
Ohio Secretary of State Frank Larose's Biography - Ohio Secretary of State

In the legislature, LaRose spearheaded efforts to increase government transparency and efficiency, particularly in the areas of elections administration and regulatory reform.

Among numerous recognitions, LaRose was named the Legislator of the Year in 2016 by the Ohio Association of Election Officials in recognition of his support and commitment to improving Ohio’s election process. He is currently serving a two-year term within the Aspen Institute as a Rodel Fellow – a bipartisan group of America’s rising political stars brought together to promote greater civil discourse. In May 2019, LaRose was presented the Business Champion Award by the Ohio Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners.

LaRose developed his strong work ethic and sense of responsibility at a young age while working on a small family-owned farm in northeast Ohio. After graduating from Copley High School, LaRose fulfilled a lifelong dream by enlisting in the United States Army with the 101st Airborne, and ultimately served in the U.S. Special Forces as a Green Beret. During his decade in uniform around the globe, LaRose received numerous commendations and honors, including the Bronze Star.

LaRose continues to give back to his community since leaving the Army and entering public service. He is the Jr. Vice Commander of the Fairlawn VFW and, as an Eagle Scout himself, Frank now serves on the executive board for his local Boy Scouts of America Council.

LaRose graduated from The Ohio State University with a degree in Consumer Affairs and Business. He and his wife, Lauren, live in Hudson with their three daughters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia