Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so weird fighting an invisible enemy (the virus).

Most of us have probably experienced something devastating or traumatic in our lives, such as the loss of a loved one. After that loss, we still wake up every morning, happy as usual, and then we remind ourselves of that sense of loss. Slowly we adapt to a new normal.

That's what this feels like to me. I wake up looking forward to my day, and then there's the realization that everything is different and I have to adjust. Eventually we wake up and that new normal is what we wake up to. This new normal is quite scary.

I wish all of our leaders could put together a daily briefing similar to New York State's. It's calm, organized, heck they have POWERPOINT slides to help get the message across. I guess there's some leadership fundamentals that need brushing up on, all over. IMO

The reason that many states are urging "no tests" is that they do not have the tests to run.

There are some promising kits coming from the private sector, but right now, all states are limited in how many kits they have.

Drive-through testing (which encourages everyone and their brother to drive through) is not a good use of resources. People should at least have symptoms. Frankly, the tests should be reserved for people about to enter the hospital or other medical space.

The swab issue was ridiculous (I mean, srsly) but the fact that the kits have to contain specific reagents for the virus to be detected...that can't be produced by a former car factory. We need major pharma (and maybe related industries in food and health) to step up and produce those kits. I do not think that's happening. Our government claims the power to mandate this production but so far has not done so.

I wish all of our leaders could put together a daily briefing similar to New York State's. It's calm, organized, heck they have POWERPOINT slides to help get the message across. I guess there's some leadership fundamentals that need brushing up on, all over. IMO

New York is the bomb (in the complimentary sense). Gavin Newsom in California is also doing a good job and people are listening and believing. People really really are staying home in most of urban California.

Not political

I actually think that the press conferences are better coordinated now, and seem to be imparting some good information.

Glad that American businesses are stepping up. I hope that they will continue to be appreciated.

Still there. Can't wish it away.

Yamiche Alcindor
@Yamiche

·
34m

President Trump just said, “We don’t have empty shelves.”
President Trump has not been to Walmart. I guess he probably has never stepped foot in a Walmart.
Your guess is as good as mine then if i say he probably has stepped foot in a Walmart. The issue here is what the President said and not where he has been. I heard him say, when speaking about Walmart, that 'they' (Walmart) don't have empty shelves, not 'we'. Maybe I misheard-but I don't think so.

[URL='https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science']Health & Science
Hospitals warn of shortages, closures without emergency aid

[/URL]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a3e9d8-6b90-11ea-9923-57073adce27c_story.html

March 21, 2020 at 1:13 p.m. EDT
U.S. hospitals are warning that they are so strapped for cash that without some financial relief, they will be unable to meet their payrolls in a matter of weeks and some could be forced to close just as coronavirus cases are surging.

The American Hospital Association and three hospital chief executives spanning the country said in a conference call Saturday that a federal directive this week to cancel elective procedures — to conserve scarce resources for patients with covid19 — is halting the type of services that produce the most revenue.

And their ability to buy critically needed supplies — from protective gear to more hospital beds — is being stymied by the fact that private vendors are requiring hospitals to pay cash upon delivery, which they say they lack the money to do.
This stark portrait of the ground-level reality for hospitals, in communities where the pandemic has penetrated and those where it has not yet seriously struck, comes as hospitals and other cornerstones of the U.S. health-care system are pleading with Congress to provide large-scale financial relief.

The American Hospital Association, the American Medical Association and the American Nurses Association are jointly urging Congress to provide hospitals and health systems $100 million in emergency aid. The Federation of American Hospitals, the trade group for for-profit hospitals, issued a call Friday night for at least $225 million in aid.

more at link

Your guess is as good as mine then if i say he probably has stepped foot in a Walmart. The issue here is what the President said and not where he has been. I heard him say, when speaking about Walmart, that 'they' (Walmart) don't have empty shelves, not 'we'. Maybe I misheard-but I don't think so.

I was being sarcastic. I know President Trump is trying his best to calm our fears and emphasize the seriousness of the virus.

Maybe now is not the time for me to be sarcastic. Everyone is stressed and on edge.

I honestly don't understand why they don't just have a podium / mic for each person.
I KNOW !

Dr. Faucci needs to watch the UK press conferences. 3 Separate podiums and they are all about 5 feet from each other. Only 3 people there

Whomever is producing these WH press conferences needs to be called out and soon:

1. Too many people crammed shoulder to shoulder. 6 of them are not needed (except for their PR photos, IMHO)

2. Chose 3 people: Dr. Faucci, Dr. Bix and ONE politician. No more.

3. Each gets their OWN podium, end of statement !!
Trump is the worst at podium-grasping. He is persistently holding onto it for dear life, then he waves his arms and goes back to it again. Then Fauci follows behind him and grasps the podium in the same spaces. Only Dr. Bix seems to be able to avoid the COVID-19 podium.

Last edited:
It is moo one of our franchise fast food restaurants will close the drive thru service due to every employee needing quarantine due to exposure, leaving the restaurant with no one able to work. Again moo

Yamiche Alcindor
@Yamiche

President Trump confirms he has NOT invoked the Defense Production Act which he said he has signed but would only invoke in worst case scenarios.

Yamiche Alcindor
@Yamiche

·
4m

Q: When did you learn about the virus outbreak? Pres Trump: I wish they could have told us earlier. We didn't know until it started coming out earlier. China was very secretive. If we had a 2-3 months time difference, it would have been great.

I honestly don't understand why they don't just have a podium / mic for each person.
I KNOW !

Dr. Faucci needs to watch the UK press conferences. 3 Separate podiums and they are all about 5 feet from each other. Only 3 people there

Whomever is producing these WH press conferences needs to be called out and soon:

1. Too many people crammed shoulder to shoulder. 6 of them are not needed (except for their PR photos, IMHO) Seriouly, why is Ben Carson needed? Or 5 other people that never talk?

2. Chose 3 people: Dr. Faucci, Dr. Bix and ONE politician. No more.

3. Each gets their OWN podium, end of statement !!
Trump is the worst at podium-grasping. He is persistently holding onto it for dear life, then he waves his arms and goes back to it again.
Then inexplicably, Faucci follows right behind Trump and grasps EXACTLY the same places Trump has grasped.
Dr. Bix is smart enough to stay away from the COVID-19 Podium.

4. Simplify the messages. Trump goes of on one tangent for 3 minutes. Then Pence duplicates what Trump says and drones on.

5. Keep Trump away from the Q&A sessions. He just departs from the script and distracts from the work of this group.

Or better yet:

Watch what Governor Cuomo does.

NJ WHAT IS CLOSED AND OPENED

Nearly all of New Jersey's nine million residents should stay at home and all "nonessential" businesses in New Jersey are to close indefinitely starting Saturday at 9 p.m., Gov. Phil Murphy ordered Saturday to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. Gatherings of any size are banned, Murphy said.

These wide-reaching, draconian measures come as New Jersey announced 1,327 positive cases of COVID-19 in New Jersey and 16 people died due to coronavirus causes.

I can't be within six feet of my family when I go outside?
The six-foot rule does not apply to immediate family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners.

When does New Jersey's ban take effect?
The ban takes effect Saturday, March 21 at 9 p.m.

How long will this last?
"Indefinitely," Murphy said.

Here's what we know so far:

Coronavirus NJ: What is closed and what is open during the shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal