Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New York is testing nonstop. Big reason for increased numbers. 10,000 tests just last night.

Thankfully, finally,
10 000 tests will make a difference.

Canadain presser today says look for the future effects of border closure with US,
in 2 weeks will see new trend in numbers
as transmission through American and international travellers will no longer be a factor. (Snowbirds?)
ATM 90 % of reported Canadian cases can be traced back to travel.

TOM BOLLYKY

Travel bans neither stopped the spread of this novel #coronavirus nor prevented it from becoming a pandemic.

This updates our @ThinkGlobalHlth tracker of #COVID19 cases in countries with travel restrictions on China (red) & countries without such restrictions (blue). Thread 1/ Tom Bollyky on Twitter

88 countries and territories imposed travel restrictions on China due to #COVID19. The median duration was 47 days. Most frequently seen duration has been 48 days 2/

All countries and territories with travel bans and COVID-19 cases are indexed on figure, showing cumulative growth in reported #COVID19 cases since the day that each country imposed its first travel restriction 3/

Figure also shows all the countries with #COVID19 cases that did not impose restrictions on China. These countries are indexed to January 27, when an increasing number of countries began imposing travel restrictions 4/

Figure does not show countries without confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Mar. 18. This includes 18 countries without travel restrictions and 27 countries with travel restrictions. Most of these countries are small & w/limited testing 5/ https://t.co/hMyLiJva24

This @ThinkGlobalhlth travel ban tracker shows when all travel restriction were implemented, their type, our sourcing & current @who guidelines on #COVID19 trade and travel bans 6/ Travel Restrictions on China due to COVID-19 | Think Global Health

If you have further questions on the analysis, there is a good chance it can be answered by reading the @ThinkGlobalHlth post itself, which identifies sources, methodology used, and limitations 7/ Tracking Coronavirus in Countries With and Without Travel Bans | Think Global Health

Tom Bollyky on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_204914.jpg
    IMG_20200320_204914.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 12
Wow. You have an interesting life, for sure!
Thankfully I have my animals!
Cooking was relaxing actually. We decided to cancel our normal weekly cookout. I’m not afraid to be around the guys I ride with, they farm for a living & most have very limited social contact, they’re simply too busy, especially this time of the year. They go to the grocery, liquor & feed stores, that’s about it. When we work cattle, we don’t see the farm owner, just unload our horses & head out. I’m more concerned for them than myself. They’re tough & I think, will ignore symptoms, if they have any.

Thankfully, finally,
10 000 tests will make a difference.

Canadain presser today says look for the future effects of border closure with US,
in 2 weeks will see new trend in numbers
as transmission through American and international travellers will no longer be a factor. (Snowbirds?)
ATM 90 % of reported Canadian cases can be traced back to travel.

I hope that is the case, but don't count on it. There is community transmission in some cities, a couple of cases could not be traced. Canadians have been told to return home, so there are a lot of international travellers who will enter Canada in the next couple of weeks. It takes another 2 weeks to see whether they self-isolated or infected entire cities.

@FrostOwl, how are your fellow ER workers doing/feeling? You're all in my thoughts.
I've been at home this week, on holiday (I had planned a week in London, but it became a staycation instead), so I haven't spoken to my co-workers yet. The situation in my part of Sweden is still calm, we have 12 cases of Covid-19, and all had caught it abroad, or were relatives to people been abroad. The hospitals and residential homes here were closed to visitors early on, so it seems as there is no spread of cases there now.

The long-delayed effort to ramp up screening for the coronavirus in the U.S. is facing a new challenge: critical shortages of laboratory supplies.

First, some of the coronavirus tests didn't work. Then there weren't enough to go around. Now, just as the federal government tries to ramp up nationwide screening, laboratory workers are warning of a new roadblock: dire shortages of testing supplies.

The shortages are the latest stumble in a botched effort to track the spread of coronavirus that has left the U.S. weeks behind many other developed countries. Dwindling supplies include both chemical components and basic swabs needed to collect patient samples.

There are "acute, serious shortages across the board" for supplies needed to do the tests, said Eric Blank, of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, which represents state and local health labs.

US virus testing faces new headwind: Lab supply shortages

TOM BOLLYKY

Travel bans neither stopped the spread of this novel #coronavirus nor prevented it from becoming a pandemic.

This updates our @ThinkGlobalHlth tracker of #COVID19 cases in countries with travel restrictions on China (red) & countries without such restrictions (blue). Thread 1/ Tom Bollyky on Twitter

88 countries and territories imposed travel restrictions on China due to #COVID19. The median duration was 47 days. Most frequently seen duration has been 48 days 2/

All countries and territories with travel bans and COVID-19 cases are indexed on figure, showing cumulative growth in reported #COVID19 cases since the day that each country imposed its first travel restriction 3/

Figure also shows all the countries with #COVID19 cases that did not impose restrictions on China. These countries are indexed to January 27, when an increasing number of countries began imposing travel restrictions 4/

Figure does not show countries without confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Mar. 18. This includes 18 countries without travel restrictions and 27 countries with travel restrictions. Most of these countries are small & w/limited testing 5/ https://t.co/hMyLiJva24

This @ThinkGlobalhlth travel ban tracker shows when all travel restriction were implemented, their type, our sourcing & current @who guidelines on #COVID19 trade and travel bans 6/ Travel Restrictions on China due to COVID-19 | Think Global Health

If you have further questions on the analysis, there is a good chance it can be answered by reading the @ThinkGlobalHlth post itself, which identifies sources, methodology used, and limitations 7/ Tracking Coronavirus in Countries With and Without Travel Bans | Think Global Health

Tom Bollyky on Twitter

There were no travel bans while China exploded with the virus. Had there been travel bans, where no one could enter or leave China, then maybe a travel ban could have made a difference.

At this time, many new cases in Canada are from the USA, which is why Canada wants to close the border with the USA except for supply chain.

When it’s hurricane season in FL and we are without power - we neighbors gather for hurricaning - sharing supplies -cooking all our meats on grills so it doesn’t go bad - it’s a general party atmosphere after the weather bands leave our area and we wait for power sometimes 4-5 days to weeks - and we pool our beverages
Hence “hurricaning” I called it that in 2004 when we were hit with 4 in a row and without power for 6 weeks - it’s always stuck with me

Ah! Got it and it makes sense too, thank you! I like the term but don't like why it's needed.

I've been at home this week, on holiday (I had planned a week in London, but it became a staycation instead), so I haven't spoken to my co-workers yet. The situation in my part of Sweden is still calm, we have 12 cases of Covid-19, and all had caught it abroad, or were relatives to people been abroad. The hospitals and residential homes here were closed to visitors early on, so it seems as there is no spread of cases there now.

It sounds like there's still a good chance to contain the virus.

IDAHO

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article241381561.html
Eight of Idaho’s 44 counties have a confirmed case of coronavirus, according to the latest numbers released by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare and health districts late Friday afternoon.

Idaho has 36 confirmed cases, including the first case for Canyon and Bingham counties. Blaine added three more cases for a total of 19. Ada County added four more Friday for a total of eight, second-most in the state.

NEW CONFIRMED CASES

Ada County: Four new confirmed cases. Specific details on the patients have not been released. However, earlier Friday, Boise State University, Micron Technology Inc. and the Boise VA Medical Center reported that employees had tested positive.

Bingham County: A 37-year-old male was the first confirmed case in the Southeastern Idaho Public Health district based in Pocatello. The man is recovering at home from mild symptoms, according to a press release.

Blaine County: Three new confirmed cases. Specific details not released.

Canyon County: The first lab-confirmed case of COVID-19 in the county is a male in his 60s. He is recovering at home from mild symptoms. He recently traveled to a location that is currently seeing community spread, according to Southwest District Health officials.

Kootenai County: One new case is a male under the age of 30. The individual has been self-isolating since returning from travel and has experienced mild symptoms. The second is a female in her 60s from Kootenai County. She is currently self-isolating and recovering from mild symptoms at home.

Teton County: One new case, for two total. Specific details on the patient have not been released.

[...]

Oh please please rethink that. The melatonin isn't prescribed for sleep - it's prescribed for LUNG FUNCTION (sorry for the all caps). MELATONIN (just so others see it) does something to boost the resiliency of the lungs. I have the article somewhere (there's more than one). It either boosts a receptor or acts in another way to HELP THE LUNGS. It's not about sleep!!!!

Here it is, had to go retrieve it for you (and for everyone):

Melatonin and Respiratory Diseases: A Review. - PubMed - NCBI

Both of us are taking melatonin every night here to boost lung health.
Oh my goodness. I had no idea. They told me it was to make her settle down and sleep! She’s been sleeping a lot today. I will tell my daughter to be sure she gives her the melatonin tonight.

We can’t get the antibiotic in her. I crushed it up and put it in her food. I’m hoping before we go to bed, she’ll nibble a little. She doesn’t want anything to eat at all. Not even a cheese treat. She has vomited 3 more times. I think the anesthesia is throwing her for a loop. Poor thing. Tomorrow will be a better day.

I went out earlier to grab some food I had forgotten to buy last week. Figured I would stock up before the "stay in place" order goes into effect on sunday here in NYC. I have a compromised immune system but most importantly to me - I don't want to pass Covid to anyone else if there was a chance I did have it. Anyway, I was shocked about how many people just Did. Not. Care. about the 6 foot rule. Just gave no ****. The market was even pacing how many people were in the store. Plenty of room! Oy.

So very true in the stores.

We also have neighbours who have just returned from Florida and they're out walking in the sunshine, then she hopped into the car and went grocery shopping. What is wrong with these people??

They are about to get the shock of their lives.

Same here - they think they are “hurricaning”! And I’m the bad guy - don’t want any visitors and we are on self quarantine because of the cruise ...
Was thinking about you the other day and wondering when you were due back from the cruise. How was it? Good that you are self-isolating just to be safe. We are in the same neck of the woods, so if you need anything please reach out!

I was walking around my yard and up and down my long driveway. A small group of cyclists passed by at the end of the drive and cheered me on. Good feelings from my species.

Sweet!

Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
  • 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water or
  • 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water
Per CDC
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations

Thank you. They’re all still sitting there. :(

I’ll work through it.

Letting it “rest” out there moo

Then I’ll spray items with my bleach water mixture via spray bottle.

With gloves then transfer each item into a separate bleach bucket.

(ETA:
@Herat hahahaha

Honk horn.....:D

Ahahahaha...)

Be careful not to touch anything else with dirty gloves.

Ugh.

Where are we with surface transmission now and I mean latest sources since White House Dr. B strongly mentioned it moo

Last edited:
We should have a separate thread for discussing "when to go to the hospital" with an emphasis on expert advice, but all WSer's experiences. I worry that your plan is mostly about work and how long to stay out - rather than when to seek help.

I have cold-like symptoms frequently (allergies). I have a nightly cough (maybe asthma-related). If I get further symptoms I will self-treat until...fever above 100? I think that's when I'm going to dive into the world of how to get tested. I'm not going to wait until 103. If I wake up in the night with 102 (which happens) I wonder if I'll really follow through or just lay there.
As for when seeking advise when to go to the hospital, I know that I'm lucky to be able to call work and ask a nurse or doctor for advice if I have to, but I know not all have that possibility. Sweden have a telephone number you can call, and speak with a nurse who can give advice, when and where to go when needed.

TOM BOLLYKY

Tom Bollyky on Twitter

Poor Italy - institute its ban only about 30 days ago. I've been reading articles on why Italy got hit so hard and have been amazed at how many Chinese nationals live in northern Italy to work in Italian factories. Apparently, many of them take off around Chinese New Year and go home for 2 weeks. They return, often bringing friends or family for further time together. It's a happy reunion time for people who miss each other.

But at least two of the Chinese friends who accompanied the Italo-Chinese workers had CorVid19. That community of workers met frequently both at work and after (more regionally) and of course, lots of others in contact with them.

I had no idea that more than 50,000 people from China were working in industries in northern Italy (making things like refrigerators and cooktops and ovens, but also medical supplies).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissHalle