Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A warning to folks who worry only about direct transmission: "This is a sticky virus," says @ScottGottliebMD on @FaceTheNation. "We're learning that much more of the transmission probably happens from touching contaminated surfaces."

Will Saletan on Twitter

NEWS: @ScottGottliebMD says there's no antiviral drug that is in proper trials that's proven effective in preventing the #coronavirus
"Right now, there is no drug that looks like it's proven so overwhelming in early stage clinical trials that we can say it's highly promising. " Face The Nation on Twitter
Face The Nation on Twitter

.@ScottGottliebMD urges more #socialdistancing:
"Right now we're engaging in broad-based population mitigation efforts...unfortunately we're not engaging in those tactics across the whole country."
He also urges mass screening efforts across the U.S. Face The Nation on Twitter
Face The Nation on Twitter

US internet and wireless networks are coming under immense pressure to deliver reliable connectivity as schools and businesses shift day-to-day operations into homes because of the novel coronavirus, according to industry analysts and government officials The coronavirus is creating an 'enormous stress test' of America's internet - CNN
CNN International on Twitter

Shut down World of Warcraft! (Or whatever the current games are). Gamers all over the internet are gloating about their data use and mocking Youtube and Netflix for throttling. They are staying home and gaming more. They are encouraging each other to game more to irritate the old people who want Netflix. Grrrr.

<respectfully snipped>

I've said it several times: I am aghast that the Task Force, the President, and Vice President continue to stand shoulder-to-shoulder during the daily briefings :eek: Why? How can they expect the American people to cooperate with the pleas for "social distancing" when they, themselves, don't abide by the CDC rule? It isn't necessary for all of them to cram into a tight space so they can be seen on camera. Each can step up to the podium for individual report and return to the podium when asked a question. When not giving a report, the Task Force team should be standing out of view away from the podium and keep their distance from each other and the media representatives in the room.

I agree @BetteDavisEyes The press conferences by the President and the task force should not be done in that room no matter how inconvenient it is to do it elsewhere.

We had the same problem in the U.K but they have made all the reporters have empty seats between them now. The Prime Minister and the other speakers also now have their own separate podiums here.

I am replying mainly to say that I think your user name is awesome. The news itself is really sobering. UK may not have peaked yet in terms of new cases and the death toll is about 5%-ish (that's pretty high for an aggregate toll, but maybe the test kits are being used in a conservative manner - meaning late in the progress of the illness).

I am replying mainly to say that I think your user name is awesome. The news itself is really sobering. UK may not have peaked yet in terms of new cases and the death toll is about 5%-ish (that's pretty high for an aggregate toll, but maybe the test kits are being used in a conservative manner - meaning late in the progress of the illness).
It may have changed now but they were only testing people who have been hospitalised, I think there probably is a lack of testing.

My state AL is now up to 138 cases. It is strange that the cases are basically in about 15 counties and the remainder counties do not have cases.

Is there a rural/urban thing going on? Or is it lack of test distribution? Here in California, some counties aren't even trying to use their tests, other counties are using them in an indiscriminate manner (mostly dreamt up by low level political functionaries and bureaucrats).

Every cold should be treated as a positive case, IMO, until tests show otherwise, but of course that's not how it's working.

Just made a big beer run, five of us are going to get some much needed saddle time. Now, our saddle bags will be full. WMT/Lowe’s both packed, fortunately I did not have to go to either. Fortunately riding is one thing I can continue, yet maintain social distancing, cuz no one can keep up with my ornery steed, try as they might!

NEW YORK -- Extremist groups, including neo-Nazis and other white supremacist groups, have encouraged members to spread COVID-19 to police officers and Jews, according to an FBI report obtained by ABC News.

"Members of extremist groups are encouraging one another to spread the virus, if contracted, through bodily fluids and personal interactions," according to the alert issued by the FBI's New York office Thursday.

Intercepted messages from these groups show members were asked to use spray bottles filled with body fluids to attack police. Others were directed to spread to Jews by going to "any place they may be congregated, to include markets, political offices, businesses and places of worship."

Extremist groups encourage members to spread coronavirus to police, Jews: FBI alert

TENNESSEE.....Nashville Mayor steps up!

Nashville Mayor John Cooper has issued a "safer at home order" to combat coronavirus, urging residents to stay inside and closing non-essential businesses. What is essential? Details here: Safer At Home Order « Nashville COVID-19 Response

Essential and open: Post offices, airports, police, groceries, agriculture businesses, health care, utility services, gas stations, banks, laundromats, hardware stores, veterinarians, pet supply and any business that "rely upon delivers," including florists for some reason

Yes, you can get take out. Yes, you can go grocery shopping. Yes, you can go to the pharmacy. You can also walk your dog or ride your bike. But don't go to work unless you provide essential services listed in order linked above. Don't visit friends and family unless it is urgent.

There have been many calls for Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee to issue an order like this statewide, like California and Illinois.
As of Friday, Lee did not plan to do so. He believes in advising good behavior, but not mandating it. Despite coronavirus outbreak, Tennessee governor won't mandate business closures

Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the largest hospital in Nashville, is supporting Mayor Cooper's "Safer at Home" order. “By following the order, we can reduce the number of people who need hospitalization all at once, enabling us to manage the coming COVID-19 patients ..."
Brett Kelman on Twitter

Flights from Italy, Iran and China still landing in Britain

https://mol.im/a/8139529

This is worrying. My parents are due to land at Heathrow from Australia on Tuesday. I’m hoping they are given strict advice to quarantine when they land.

A friend wrote about his landing in India:
Landed Bangalore at 10:20 . Quick temp check and immigration. All of us then were seated and a doctor explained that we should pick up our bags and we would be taken to a test Centre . We were then driven in a coach for 20 min to a hospital where again very systematically we filled a form and were interviewed by 2 doctors . Basically questions on health and travel history . Post which they categorized as home quarantine - a stamp on our wrist . If one was category a or b they’re subjected to next round. We were then sent home . The whole process took 90 minutes . Courteous efficient and respectful. Hats off to the authorities . I’ve seen the mess that returning Americans have been subjected to and this was easy . Now at home.

Coronavirus live updates: Governor calls on New York City to open streets to public
Gov. Cuomo gave NYC officials 24 hours for a solution to halt people gathering.

Coronavirus live updates: Governor calls on New York City to open streets to public
12:00 p.m.: Cuomo calls on New York City to open streets to public
Gov. Andrew Cuomo called on New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and other leaders to come up with a plan to reduce density in parks, after he saw large gatherings in the green spaces over the weekend.

Cuomo called the crowds at the parks "reckless," "arrogant" and "selfish" because of the greater risk and said the city needed to take immediate action. He gave the mayor and City Council Speaker Corey Johnson 24 hours to come up with a plan and suggested they consider closing some streets to vehicular traffic and open it up to pedestrians.

"Get creative. Open up the streets" he said at a news conference.

Last edited:
Just made a big beer run, five of us are going to get some much needed saddle time. Now, our saddle bags will be full. WMT/Lowe’s both packed, fortunately I did not have to go to either. Fortunately riding is one thing I can continue, yet maintain social distancing, cuz no one can keep up with my ornery steed, try as they might!
Some friends from a nearby barn just drove down and road on the beach. I think I’m going to ask to go along next time. Sunshine, fresh air and sweaty horses sounds like a really good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nordlander