Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New York City has such a high infection rate because the average New Yorker comes in contact with exponentially greater numbers of people everyday than in more spread out areas. Living in apartments, crowded streets, public transportation, office buildings - many more touch points than me driving in my car alone from my private house to my private office.

The problem is New York City itself, not the people who live there.
BBM. I think it is a combination. The reason the Mayor had to literally take down the basketball hoops in parks is because of people not wanting to comply with the request for social separation.

JMO

Maybe we should focus on talking about what we think of particular measures implemented in places, and whether we think they're a good or bad idea, along with 'why' we think that, rather than commenting on the person who made the decision for those measures?

Maybe we should focus on the content of a tweet or article instead of who made the tweet or wrote the article?

We can have differences of opinion without bickering and snide remarks. We can debate without arguing by putting forward our views and thoughts and explaining how we came to those views and thoughts.

I can't think of the exact quote I'm thinking of but we need to not turn war on the virus into war on each other; we need to not turn tragedy into farce. Some things transcend 'sides'.
On that note, I’m hoping that Pritzer not only extends the stay-at-home order to the end of April, but that he doesn’t wait until the day before the current order expires to announce it. I wish he’d just do it and be done with it.

Coronavirus live updates: Global pandemic kills more than 30,000 - CNN
''Nurse describes New Orleans hospital conditions

From CNN’s Kaye Jones

A nurse at a downtown New Orleans hospital has described to CNN the very difficult conditions at the facility. The nurse, who did not want to be identified out of fear that speaking to the media could lead to employment repercussions, described the situation at the hospital after finishing a shift two days ago.

"We are averaging five to seven intubations and three to four deaths a day. We have had to set up a temporary morgue (white box) outside the ED next to ambulance ramp for those who expire from COVID-19, this temporary morgue is full," the nurse said.
The nurse told CNN that while the situation at the hospital is dire, the staff are in better shape than some.

“We are being asked to recycle our N95 masks. We only have 16 unused ventilators left in hospital. We’ve been told the surrounding hospitals are at max capacity without ventilators, leaving our hospital and one other major hospitals left to care for these patients," the nurse said. "EMS are having to recruit volunteer EMT workers to help as New Orleans EMS paramedics are either in quarantine for exposure or sick themselves."

The nurse offered a grim prediction:

If this type of workflow continues into April, we will not be able to sustain as a hospital."

I agree with your theory. But....we have not done enough testing to know who has it and who doesnt. Judt because there are not any cases presenting doesnt mean its not there. Considering the prevalence of the counties that you listed, I will make a broad prediction that there is community transmission in PA. So you can lock down some and pore all kinds of resources in that action and then find it was all wasted.
Frankly, my opinion, these actions should have happened over a month ago. The virus has seeded and re-seeded throughout the country with multiple transmission. It's too late for containment other than a full lockdown.. We are in mitigation, which focuses on losing the fewest number of people to death. It's going to be a terrible April.

DR. DENA GRAYSON SAYS THIS:
"Due to a lack of #COVID19 testing, this deadly #coronavirus has been spreading UNDETECTED in the U.S. for months.
With outbreaks in MULTIPLE cities, the *only* way to contain this deadly virus is a NATIONWIDE #LockdownNow.
INACTION = more people DIE."
Dr. Dena Grayson on Twitter
So you are speaking here of a total lockdown being necessary. I AGREE.

So why did everyone freak out when the administration pondered locking down the tristate area?

It really confuses me. Cuomo uses national guard to create containment zone of New Rochelle, and all is good.

President contemplates using national guard to create containment zone for New York city, and it’s a declaration of war…?

I think the President is resistant to a Federal declaration of Martial law. I doubt it will come to this, but it IS possible.

"At least 20 state governors have now called up their National Guard to assist with delivery of food and medical supplies, clean public facilities, and adapt some of those facilities to house patients if hospitals become overwhelmed. Guard personnel could also help enforce quarantines ordered by state governors, and even arrest violators."

Martial Law Would Sweep the Country Into a Great Legal Unknown
I certainly hope not. Think Kent State.

I've never been so open here.

It will be ok. He's NOT mean . He's just mad and frustrated that I was serious with his daughter about social distancing.

It's all good. but I sure like blowing off steam here.

I totally get it. He is a good man but under a lot of strain. And times like this make us all short tempered.

Like you said, tomorrow will be better. And I bet his daughter will think about it, and realise you were trying to protect him. We will get through this.
duckie.gif

We are already under a travel ban and stay at home order.
Then why all the NY plates seen in other states now?

No one wants to see our California plates in Nevada or Arizona, because we have so many hot spots. It makes sense to me that they don't want us going to their towns and buying up their supplies, spreading our potential germs.

California is on lock down too but I know several people who have packed up for out of state trips.

Last edited:
On that note, I’m hoping that Pritzer not only extends the stay-at-home order to the end of April, but that he doesn’t wait until the day before the current order expires to announce it. I wish he’d just do it and be done with it.

I think some governments have seemed to start off by giving really short timetables for things, and leaving open the option to extend them later, rather than say at the start that they are likely to last a lot longer in reality.

I mean, to me, that's what the epidemiological models are suggesting, that a lot of these 'stay at home', and 'work from home if you can' things are suggesting, that this isn't going to be fixed anywhere in just two or three weeks, but this is just the beginning of a long fight against the virus, a long fight to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, and if they do a good job, then this might just be the first wave.

We need to keep the curves flattened until the cases are zero in our countries, or until there's enough vaccine to get them down to zero without needing the social distancing measures any more.

You don't just reach a peak and then that's it, it's over. You slowly go up, you hope to flatten out, you come down the other side. You're still left with lots of people who don't have immunity. The higher vulnerability people who you told to stay inside are still going to be vulnerable even after the peak that's expected in a lot of cities/countries in the next few weeks and few months.

WHAT??! I LOVE this.
Rhode Island Governor Announces National Guard Will Go 'Door-to-Door' to Identify New Yorkers to Slow COVID-19 Spread

Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo announced during a press conference on Friday that the state would take drastic steps to “pin-point” individuals who had recently traveled to New York in an attempt to stem the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

“Right now we have a pin-pointed risk that we need to address and we need to be very serious. And that risk is called New York City,” she said. Over the past week, New York has become the epicenter of the coronavirus crisis in the United States. As of Saturday afternoon Eastern Time, New York had at least 52,318 confirmed cases of COVID-19, according to a tracker by Johns Hopkin’s University; that’s nearly half of the at least 115,547 cases in the entire United States. In comparison, Rhode Island currently has at least 203 confirmed cases, per the tracker.

This^^^ is what they did in South Korea.

Didn't a lot of posts here suggest that we follow their protocol, and isolate those that might be spreading the infection?

It seems confusing that there is such anger that the country isn't doing enough, and yet when they try to be aggressive, that is criticised as well. JMO

So you are speaking here of a total lockdown being necessary. I AGREE.

So why did everyone freak out when the administration pondered locking down the tristate area?

It really confuses me. Cuomo uses national guard to create containment zone of New Rochelle, and all is good.

President contemplates using national guard to create containment zone for New York city, and it’s a declaration of war…?
When New Rochelle was isolated, at that point, the virus was still containable. Or thought to be. In fact, the spread did slow there due to being locked down.

Now it’s gone beyond that point of containment, and locking down NY, NJ and CT isn’t going to slow anything at this point. Virus is already on the move and getting worse in so many places, not all because of these 3 states.

IMO, it’s moving inward from both coasts. And much of that has to do with other places NOT shutting down soon enough, or not at all.

Last edited:
Then why all the NY plates seen in other states now?

No one wants to see our California plates in Nevada or Arizona, because we have so many hot spots. It makes sense to me that they don't want us going too their towns and buying up their supplies, spreading our potential germs.

California is on lock down too but I know several people who have packed up for out of state trips.
Parts of the same state don’t want visitors or vacation home owners to come there either. Jersey Shore towns have asked us to stay away. I have a place down there and won’t go because I can understand their reasons.

Long Island and Upstate NY probably don’t want people flocking there from NYC either.
What should we do? Block travel from county to county? From town to town?

I think some governments have seemed to start off by giving really short timetables for things, and leaving open the option to extend them later, rather than say at the start that they are likely to last a lot longer in reality.

I mean, to me, that's what the epidemiological models are suggesting, that a lot of these 'stay at home', and 'work from home if you can' things are suggesting, that this isn't going to be fixed anywhere in just two or three weeks, but this is just the beginning of a long fight against the virus, a long fight to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, and if they do a good job, then this might just be the first wave.

We need to keep the curves flattened until the cases are zero in our countries, or until there's enough vaccine to get them down to zero without needing the social distancing measures any more.

You don't just reach a peak and then that's it, it's over. You slowly go up, you hope to flatten out, you come down the other side. You're still left with lots of people who don't have immunity. The higher vulnerability people who you told to stay inside are still going to be vulnerable even after the peak that's expected in a lot of cities/countries in the next few weeks and few months.
Right. But hopefully, at some points in the middle, people with the antibodies will be able to go back to work and help us begin the recovery. Those who are older and who have underlying illnesses will still need to stay inside. But it will be encouraging to see their friends and family resuming some activities.

And before the vaccinations are ready, we will probably have some successful treatments and have greater access to instant testing. So all of that will make a big difference as well. JMO

When New Rochelle was isolated, at that point, the virus was still containable. Or thought to be. In fact, the spread did slow there due to being locked down.

Now it’s gone beyond that point of containment, and locking down NY, NJ and CT isn’t going to slow anything at this point. Virus is already on the move and getting worse in so many places, not at all because of these 3 states.

IMO, it’s moving inward from both coasts. And much of that has to do with other places NOT shutting down soon enough, or not at all.
More people would stay where they are if they knew they could be tested. They can't unless they are important, everyone knows this and they are petrified.

Is anyone dealing with child visitation issues?
My grandchildren's father gets them every other Sunday afternoon. He is still working in the restaurant business.
The kids have been staying with my other daughter (not their mother-she is their aunt) and her husband and 2 children in isolation at the home.
So, now the father wants to see them again tomorrow but we are all worried about all the cross contamination. He is working every day, in the public. The kids mother asked if he would wait until all this blows over and he can have them a week but he says no.
We're just trying to look out for the kids and safety of all-plus follow the law! help jeez

Maybe one of our verified attorneys can weigh in. My suggestion is to call your local health department and see what they say. From what I've heard, judges in places which have shelter-in-place orders such as Illinois think parenting time is a priority over protecting the health of the child and the community in which the child lives.

I think the best interest of the child is to continue to shelter-in-place and Facetime should suffice until the order is lifted. It's what my DD in Oak Park IL is doing and she has the support of the child's Child Representative.

JMO

Do these college kids not know that businesses and employers check SM and other forms of online docs for possible employments? I mean, what are these kids going to do when these videos of them being reckless, careless and disobeying rules causes them not to obtain the position they apply for? I don't know if they posted on their SM of their "fun-filled" Vaca, but going on video trying to explain their "WHYS" of doing it, will ALWAYS be accessible!
BBM

Too bad, so sad. They don’t deserve the position they apply for. I know I’m preaching to the choir @BHughes, but if they’re smart enough to go to college, they should be smart enough to have some basic understanding that actions and words last forever on the internet and have real consequences. They are in for a rude awakening.

Of course, the young “lady” Dr Phil interviewed is really “special.” She’s an internet “influencer” and a singer whose new release wasn’t getting enough attention (thanks to coronavirus) so she licked a toilet on her “sugar daddy’s” private plane and it went viral. She was “even” interviewed by FOX. I doubt she thinks she will ever need to apply for a job. Despite being a senior at Rutgers, she is stupid, vapid and totally self-involved. I hope IF she ever grows up, she is mortified. But somehow I doubt it will happen. :mad:

Now it’s gone beyond that point of containment, and locking down NY, NJ and CT isn’t going to slow anything at this point. Virus is already on the move and getting worse in so many places, not at all because of these 3 states.

So staying at home means nothing now. Useless.

Everyone should just go where they please because it's too late to contain the spread of the virus?

What about minimizing the amount of people being exposed to the virus and spreading out the timing of infection by limiting the movement of people?

Wouldn't that be a good thing?

So staying at home means nothing now. Useless.

Everyone should just go where they please because it's too late to contain the spread of the virus?

What about minimizing the amount of people being exposed to the virus and spreading out the timing of infection by limiting the movement of people?

Wouldn't that be a good thing?
Yes it would be. But the entire country has to be on board with that. Every state, every governor, every mayor. And then the citizens have to comply. Might be tough to achieve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member