Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday (Saturday) was Dr. Birx's birthday. Maybe she was feeling sad because her birthday should be a fun day and it was not.

Maybe she's sad about her birthday, could be.

I do remember her saying we would have slides at the presser today. Health.data did not complete the update they posted for 4/4, even removed the message about any new updates. The last update was 4/1.

When Mike Pence spoke of our healthcare workers I really thought she struggled to contain her emotions.

Keep in mind, these folks know way more than we do. They know what the future holds and must dole out slowly to prevent pandemonium.

Just think if 100% of Americians knew what we KNOW, things be would be alot different.

Last Sunday, the presser brought news of increased deaths and for Americans to brace themselves.

Hoping it just the birthday blues....

Moo

What makes you say that?

The population density, the fact that the average age of the people who have tested positive is over age 65 (although they were only testing people who were older for awhile), the issue that most of the older people in Florida live in condos, assisted living, or nursing homes.

The other issues, are that many of the people in Florida speak English as a second language, if they speak any English at all, and are less likely to want to be tested, letting the "government" know who they are and where they live. There is a significant population of Visa overstays in FL, they stay under the radar by working as personal care attendants, for elderly people. This is a low wage, and they will go to work "sick" because they need the money. These folks are not going to get unemployment benefits or the "big" payout.

Florida is a huge state, and northen Florida is significantly different from southern Florida. The governor of FL just doesn't understand. But, I know Miami, and this area is probably going to be significantly worse than NYC.

I hope that my assessment is completely wrong. I would love to eat a big plate of crow.

Well in my 25 years of nursing I never thought i’d see the day my job was at risk. Especially during a pandemic, but it just got real on Friday. We have all been mandated to take 1 week leave between today and June 13th. There is an incentive to resign by April 30th in place. And in 10 weeks there will be a reassessment with lay-offs being the next step to a resolution of a financial crisis. So now not only do I have to worry about our empty beds taking COVID overflow in the next couple of weeks I have to worry about job security in the next 10 weeks. And continue to pray we all stay healthy.

Yes, I agree that the ventilators are gone. No one is going to go around checking serial numbers. The person who managed the loan will be relocated, off on a break, or just not available to arrange a return. In addition, people will be hooked up to the ventilators, possibly for an extended period of time. It's a one way street. We share equipment between two local hospitals and it's impossible to get stuff back.

But let's hope that if the original equipment doesn't come back, that at least equal equipment is given in return. Let's hope that new equipment is enroute and that the NY health care system will not forget the generosity of the people of Oregon. I'm hopeful, but honestly, I'm not optimistic.

Thank you and so well said.

Its not just Oregon, its ALL US taxpayers. Most of the supplies are being paid for by the US taxpayers.

The 140 ventilators than Brown gave NY came from the national stock pile. Virginia has request ventilators and PPE from the stockpile. NO vents and less than 1,000 mask in 3 shipments.

Yes, we will see how New Yorkers rise to the challenge of helping others.

Last edited:
BONOKOSKI: New York, New York — if you can’t do it there, you’re toast
April 4, 2020
''New York City is contagion-riddled. It’s become the place to which all other American cities are being compared because it has not gone well in the Big Apple where the deadly virus was initially deemed to be over-hyped.

As of March 31, however, NYC was teetering off its axle with more than 40,000 coronavirus cases — almost four times Canada’s total — and closing in on 1,000 fatalities, which is almost seven times the deaths here.''

''In New York City, meanwhile, a former senior advisor to De Blasio Rebecca Katz spoke of the embattled mayor as having a turnaround.

“He’s a New Yorker who cherishes New York things,” she said. “And I think just like a million New Yorkers were grieving about the loss of life as normal, he was, too. Except that as the leader, you have to be the one to give it up first. That’s where it got tricky.

“I think he gets it now.”

Well in my 25 years of nursing I never thought i’d see the day my job was at risk. Especially during a pandemic, but it just got real on Friday. We have all been mandated to take 1 week leave between today and June 13th. There is an incentive to resign by April 30th in place. And in 10 weeks there will be a reassessment with lay-offs being the next step to a resolution of a financial crisis. So now not only do I have to worry about our empty beds taking COVID overflow in the next couple of weeks I have to worry about job security in the next 10 weeks. And continue to pray we all stay healthy.

The same in SW VA. Per the WU model VA is short on ICU and regular beds, short 750 ventilators. The Governor is opening 3 emergency hospitals he says WE must supply staff for, plans on using this volunteer medical corp for non Covid patients. The "regular" hospitals will be responsible for all Covid patients.

I understand the lay off, as surgery centers and out patients services are closed. We must find a way to keep our medical staff employed while we await the surge. Not sure how many medical professionals are going to step up 10 weeks from now and be rehired with no seniority, lesser benefits and risk their lives.

ETA.. I am so sorry about your job, will keep you in my prayers.

We got a mess....

Last edited:
I found it beautiful that Oregon stepped up and supplied some ventilators to NY. I found it interesting that China has donated a 1000 ventilators to Cuomo. It's how it should work, when a state or Country is in need because of a catastrophic event we should help each other out and pay it forward.
I don't see that happening in our federal government, I see greed and confusion I see Darwinism, survival of the fittest, move over and die so we can get on with our economy. Shameful, I am so ashamed .
This is why I thought it so beautiful of Oregon to donate and if when the need arises for them it will be repaid tenfold. I hope to see more generosity, humanity and compassion from our individual states and the world.
BBM

As an Oregonian born in NYC, I’m incredibly touched by the generosity of Governor Brown toward NY. I hope her desire to help without even being asked will move other governors to send what they can out of heartfelt compassion for NY. How anyone could be so lacking empathy for what NYC is going through and imply that they didn’t plan well enough is beyond me. This isn’t the time to lecture those in crisis. If needed, that can come later.

For some, giving is transactional...expecting something in return. I don’t believe Governor Brown is that kind of person. But I do believe that if Oregon needs ventilators or anything else that Governor Cuomo will return the favor because generosity begets generosity.

But let's hope that if the original equipment doesn't come back, that at least equal equipment is given in return. Let's hope that new equipment is enroute and that the NY health care system will not forget the generosity of the people of Oregon. I'm hopeful, but honestly, I'm not optimistic.

It never occurred to me that NY would have to track down Oregon’s ventilators and return the exact ones they sent. I assumed they would send to Oregon whatever is needed from whatever source available and I do have confidence that Governor Cuomo will do exactly that. I also have confidence that Governor Brown knows how many ventilators Oregon has on hand, how many we are projected to need, and how many could be spared to help NY. She is a smart woman, as are those who are helping to
manage coronavirus in Oregon. Unlike some very ignorant and selfish locals, I do not believe that her generosity has endangered Oregonians at all.

JMO

The same in SW VA. Per the WU model VA is short on ICU need and regular beds, short 750 ventilators. The Governor is opening 3 emergency hospitals he says WE must supply staff for, plans on using this volunteer medical corp for non Covid patients. The "regular" hospitals will be responsible for all Covid patients.

I understand the lay off, as surgery centers and out patients services are closed. We must find a way to keep out medical staff employees while we await the surge. Not sure how many medical professionals are you going to step up 10 weeks from now and be rehired with no seniority, lesser benefits and risk their lives.

We got a mess....

It’s such a mess. We are in DC with multiple out patient centers throughout the DMV area essentially shut down so the revenue is not coming in from anywhere. But at the same time we are preparing for the predicted DC surge. Tents went up yesterday.

It’s such a mess. We are in DC with multiple out patient centers throughout the DMV area essentially shut down so the revenue is not coming in from anywhere. But at the same time we are preparing for the predicted DC surge. Tents went up yesterday.

There is much uncertainty, lack of transparency from our governor, and he's never even addressed the issue of the medical workers loosing their jobs and benefits.

My son lives in Georgetown and I am worried sick about him. So many people in close quarters.

Good Morning all. I am still having anxiety attacks. I am having to stay away from the news. I am going to start reading it every other day or two.

Hope everyone is safe. We are all in this together.

Yes. I agree with you.
Floridians and their leaders, have been in denial.
I hope that I am wrong.
I do project at this point, horrible numbers of deaths in Florida.
I hope I am wrong.

Being in Florida, I hope you are wrong. But I don't think you are. The people I know are staying in. I've gone out once a week for groceries, and once for a Dr appt.

In the local police blotter, officers were called to a driveway party of 20 people. They made 10 leave. IMO, they should have sent them all packing after a stern lecture.

Oregon sends 140 ventilators to New York; Gov. Kate Brown: ‘We are all in this together’

Oregon received 140 ventilators from the Strategic National Stockpile on March 27. That’s the full amount Gov. Brown requested from the federal government a week earlier. After those ventilators have been shipped out to New York, Oregon will have 762 ventilators available, the governor’s office said Saturday.

Oregon sends 140 ventilators to New York; Gov. Kate Brown: ‘We are all in this together’

In the local police blotter, officers were called to a driveway party of 20 people. They made 10 leave. IMO, they should have sent them all packing after a stern lecture.
I would have arrested the host- even if it meant releasing him or her with a warning. Blatant, public violations of the quarantine need to be punished as they only encourage more violations.

I have not seen any blatant violations in my area. I have, however, seen a ton of gray area violations. Mainly, this takes the form of shopping trips which may, or may not be, truly essential.

I am hesitant to criticize other gray area violations as I can work from home and am thus still being paid. These gray area violations take the form of small to midsize businesses self declaring themselves to be "essential" (broadly defined in my state) and re-opening. The re-openings then attract some customers.

Last edited:
My son lives in Georgetown and I am worried sick about him. So many people in close quarters.

Good Morning all. I am still having anxiety attacks. I am having to stay away from the news. I am going to start reading it every other day or two.

Hope everyone is safe. We are all in this together.
Aww take care of yourself. Go out and get fresh air. Your son is younger and likely healthier than you. Remember most of us will recover even if we get sick. We will get through this. Just stay strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member