Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is odd. People need to self-isolate, to ensure they don't spread the virus, but taking a short drive to keep the engine running smoothly should not be a problem. I really don't understand why car insurance should be refunded. Is the policy on hold for a couple of months - if something happens during that time they are not covered by insurance?
Only a percentage is being refunded. You still have coverage. It's obvious to the insurers that people are driving less and accidents are down. A half dozen to a dozen insurers are giving rebates that I know of.

This is what I was afraid of - I can't produce meat (never hunted and wouldn't know how) - I can make all kinds of stuff - thankfully we don't eat that much but still... scary times ahead IMO.
Maybe it's time for us to dredge up "Diet for a small planet"....yes we can get amino acid balanced proteins from veggies. And this interesting one....
Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It
And this one:
7 Benefits Of Quinoa: The Supergrain Of The Future
----------------------------
I still eat meat, but much less of it. A few little chunks, some great black beans, quinoa every day instead of rice... we just don't need that much protein. Personally, if I could get fresh salmon, or halibut or some quality frozen fish once or twice a week I wouldn't care if I ever saw beef again in my life.

Within this GMA piece, is an embedded article from Daily Mail, making such strong reference to "different strains". Is that actually true. I have certainly heard of heavier virus load in different people but not "strains". Even the NYC cases, which they say came from Europe, still came from Europeans who had been in China. Is there legitimate/technical data out there on these different strains? tia

I know from recent info I posted from Dr. Jennifer Ashton, she said, what you wrote, it depends on how much viral particles, loads, where it ends up in the respiratory tract. A person's immune system

8 strains of the coronavirus are circling the globe. Here's what clues they're giving scientists

Varied COVID-19 Strains Not a Problem for Vaccines -- For Now

(That multiple strains of COVID-19 coronavirus exist in different parts of the world probably won't impede vaccine development in the short term, experts told)

SAN FRANCISCO – At least eight strains of the coronavirusare making their way around the globe, creating a trail of death and disease that scientists are tracking by their genetic footprints.

While much is unknown, hidden in the virus's unique microscopic fragments are clues to the origins of its original strain, how it behaves as it mutates and which strains are turning into conflagrations while others are dying out thanks to quarantine measures.

Huddled in once bustling and now almost empty labs, researchers who oversaw dozens of projects are instead focused on one goal: tracking the current strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that cause the illness COVID-19.

Labs around the world are turning their sequencing machines, most about the size of a desktop printer, to the task of rapidly sequencing the genomes of virus samples taken from people sick with COVID-19. The information is uploaded to a website called NextStrain.org that shows how the virus is migrating and splitting into similar but new subtypes.

Nextstrain

Nextstrain is an open-source project to harness the scientific and public health potential of pathogen genome data. We provide a continually-updated view of publicly available data alongside powerful analytic and visualization tools for use by the community. Our goal is to aid epidemiological understanding and improve outbreak response. If you have any questions, or simply want to say hi, please give us a shout at hello@nextstrain.org.

Coronavirus: How scientists are tracking 8 strains of SARS-CoV-2 virus

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85604

Last edited:
The new figures, released by the city’s Health Department, drove up the number of people killed in New York City to more than 10,000 and appeared to increase the overall United States fatality rate by 17 percent, to more than 26,000.

The numbers brought into clearer focus the staggering toll the virus has already taken on the largest city in the United States, where deserted streets are haunted by the near-constant howl of ambulance sirens.

Far more people have died in New York City on a per-capita basis than in Italy, the European country with the most deaths.
Here’s what you need to know:
Coronavirus Live Updates: Revised N.Y.C. Deaths Spike; California Looks to Next Steps

Maybe it's time for us to dredge up "Diet for a small planet"....yes we can get amino acid balanced proteins from veggies. And this interesting one....
Diet for a Hot Planet: The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork and What You Can Do About It
And this one:
I still eat meat, but much less of it. A few little chunks, some great black beans, quinoa every day instead of rice... we just don't need that much protein. Personally, if I could get fresh salmon, or halibut or some quality frozen fish once or twice a week I wouldn't care if I ever saw beef again in my life.

Friends have brought dishes made with quinoa to potlucks. I really want to like it because I know how nourishing it is, but the texture is very off-putting for me. Any suggestions? :)

“Smithfield is one of several meat-producing companies that have suspended or cut back on production in recent weeks.

JBS USA has closed a Souderton, Pa., beef plant until at least Thursday and has reduced production at a second facility in Greeley, Colo., because of high absenteeism among employees.

Cargill and Tyson Foods have also closed plants in Pennsylvania and Iowa.”

[...]

“Top U.S. officials have moved to assure Americans that they won't lack for food, despite the coronavirus. Vice President Pence, while touring a Walmart distribution center earlier this month, said that "America's food supply is strong."”

U.S. Meat Supply Is 'Perilously Close' To A Shortage, CEO Warns

Last edited:
I think this is odd. People need to self-isolate, to ensure they don't spread the virus, but taking a short drive to keep the engine running smoothly should not be a problem. I really don't understand why car insurance should be refunded. Is the policy on hold for a couple of months - if something happens during that time they are not covered by insurance?
Less cars on the roads > Less traffic accidents> Reduced claims > Increased profit margin for Auto insurance co.

We have auto and home insurance with AAA and always pay the full annual amount in November every year. I think we drove less than 10 miles since Feb 21, 2020, so the partial refund would make us very happy!:D

Less accidents as cars are used less so I am going to ring my insurance company up. We are only using the car once every 10 days.

Just a little brain fart fyi- I had to take Dad out for his errands today. The only place I had to actually go inside was w-mart. I put on a fresh paper mask. I remembered, that when I worked healthcare at the nursing homes, as a CMA, we dated the newly applied bandages and pain patches. With our initials of course.
Anyway, I decided to date my paper mask, when I wear it. I leave them inside the car with the gloves and wipes, but those aren't dated.
Anyway.... to those who might want to do the same. At least I know the latest date it was worn, and if enough time allowed between wearings for the virus to die.

Great advice.

When the pandemic began the discussion here I mentioned then how lucky we were that my hubby had three cases of masks in his shop.

I didnt know then what kind of masks they were. Well they turned out to be N95 masks.

Since then we have made sure we have shared them with our local family members, and our 2 next door neighbors who are both younger than we are, but are both very sickly.

I havent been getting out since we've been socially distancing for weeks now, but my hubby has had to go out in the public for necessities only. He has been wearing a new N95 mask, and a new set of gloves each time he goes.

We even use the gloves when getting the mail or receiving packages. We put them outside on our patio table then spray them with lysol until they are completely dry before opening. Thank goodness I was the one who had 4 large boxes of gloves since I use them for various house chores. I believe there is 100 pairs per box.

Like I've said before there is no such thing as too much protection since this virus is extremely contagious.

Jmho

And this one:

About how much protein are you taking in from sources? I've been wondering how much is actually adequate.

Friends have brought dishes made with quinoa to potlucks. I really want to like it because I know how nourishing it is, but the texture is very off-putting for me. Any suggestions? :)
If I'm out of oatmeal I use quinoa cooked with fruit, and milk. It seems to me that it is so versatile, to flow from breakfast food to soup or casseroles.
You could try cooking it longer to make it blander, or mix it with some other grain.
But I like the texture, so eat it as soon as it starts to cook. I discovered some quinoa flour, it is really great for thickening up a soup. So I guess I'm not much help, since I seek out textured foods.

This situation is a rolling crisis. Details changing hourly, if not daily. I am winging it like the rest of the planet...as well as being a recently moved in live in caregiver to my elderly father.

Things I had no idea that were issues....suddenly have become issues. Food. Transportation. Medications ans Dr appts. Daily boring necessities.

All that....AND......getting myself out of a domestic abuse marriage in another state.
Sometimes, I remember good ideas.

Most times.... no short term memory. Oh, and living with MS. And..diabetes 2.

Hugs and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members