Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in how many of the virus deaths were smokers?

According to these New York studies, obesity and age are the biggest issues:

It found that while age was the biggest risk factor, the health condition that was most strongly associated with serious illness was obesity. The report said: "The chronic condition with the strongest association with critical illness was obesity, with a substantially higher odds ratio than any cardiovascular or pulmonary disease."

A separate study found patients under 60 are twice as likely to need hospital care or ventilation if they were obese, making it the second biggest risk factor.

The researchers said 'surprisingly' there was no association between smoking and an increased risk of falling seriously ill with the virus. Just 5 per cent of all COVID-19 hospital admissions were tobacco users - three times less than the 15 per cent of smokers in New York City. It is not clear why this is but one study from China suggested smokers face a lower risk of catching the virus.

Coronavirus: Old and obese 'at more risk' than cancer patients | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I thought some posters have said it can stay on masks for 7 days. Do we know for sure how long to leave it to be safe?

How to clean your face mask to help prevent getting and spreading the coronavirus

“Lacking available data to suggest otherwise, changing out or laundering a cloth mask should follow the same routine as underwear,” he says. “Change them daily and when soiled.”

How do you wash your face mask between uses?

Officially, the PADOH recommends cleaning your masks using hot water and regular detergent, and then drying them on the hottest setting on your dryer. The CDC echoes that sentiment online, saying that masks should be “routinely washed” and that a “washing machine should suffice in properly washing a face covering.”

“Normal laundering of washable masks made of clothing fabric, including drying the masks on high heat, should be sufficient to remove any appreciable viral inoculation of novel coronavirus given what is known about it’s survivability on surfaces,” says Spurlock.

YIKES. We just found out that a coworker of my SiL likely has it (his wife is an ER nurse, he has the symptoms, and SHOWED UP AT WORK WITH A FEVER). So they had to shut down the entire (essential) business. Now, daughter and her husband have to worry about getting it.

I guess no one sets out to get it. Well. Maybe those cruise ship people lining up to go in 2021.
What the heck was he doing showing up to work with symptoms and a fever?
That’s scary.
Hubs - been doing temp scans at entrance.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that you and your husband are both doing well. And you are right that breaking a hip is a dangerous thing.

I have noticed that on the "Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus" many of the folks who have succumbed to Covid-19 are large. You can guess their weight just by looking at their photos. A good many of the non-elderly folks are obese.

I first noticed this two months ago when Italy was being hit hard. When photos of the victims were posted online it was apparent that many were overweight. Maybe science will figure out the reason someday.
Well after this little stint of staying home I will more than likely start to fall in the category of "large" I fear. Between naps and trips to the kitchen lets just say I am worried if my jeans will even zip up anymore. Bad hair, broken tooth and jeans I can't zip, I am such a pretty picture now..not.

Talked with a few friends today who were either getting groceries, dropping off food to others, going to work. City Police and OPP highly visible (OPP-Ontario Provincial Police) Some report folks they know or they themselves have been stopped, just a friendly where are you headed and have a good day. I'm good with that.

Well after this little stint of staying home I will more than likely start to fall in the category of "large" I fear. Between naps and trips to the kitchen lets just say I am worried if my jeans will even zip up anymore. Bad hair, broken tooth and jeans I can't zip, I am such a pretty picture now..not.

Official advice is to try your jeans on every three days to check they still fit.

[source: me]

I'm glad to hear that you and your husband are both doing well. And you are right that breaking a hip is a dangerous thing.

I have noticed that on the "Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus" many of the folks who have succumbed to Covid-19 are large. You can guess their weight just by looking at their photos. A good many of the non-elderly folks are obese.

I first noticed this two months ago when Italy was being hit hard. When photos of the victims were posted online it was apparent that many were overweight. Maybe science will figure out the reason someday.

The basic reason is already known. Anyone with higher BMI falls into this group (even if very muscular and not fat, however there are differences).

Your heart takes the oxygenated blood from your lungs and pumps it. Your heart has limits.

Your lungs are severely compromised in their ability to oxygenate blood by CoVid. Further, there are mechanisms by which CoVid attacks red blood cell capacity directly.

The larger the organism, the more oxygen it needs for all of its tissues to stay alive. The body doesn't really differentiate between organs, fat, nerves and muscles in its quest to send oxygen. So...if your lungs and heart have to pump oxygen to a larger organism, there's a problem if the system starts to fail. Your body needs more oxygen than a typical oxygen mask in hospital can supply.

I am not thin. So, my heart and lungs have to work harder if I run or if I get CoVid. I am not morbidly obese, either. I've lost a bit of weight recently (so my heart/lungs have a bit more capacity relative to what they did have - I need to lose more).

All of us who are overweight or obese should be using this quarantine time to change that - but I find it really hard to exercise (my exercise has been all the steps I take at work, I typically walk around campus just to look around and get some steps). I'm reluctant to go out in the neighborhood at this precise moment (feeling under the weather to start with). Ugh.

Fortunately, I have little appetite. Unfortunately, what little appetite I do have is not for healthy food. That's how it always is when I don't feel well. I don't think I have CoVid, I think I have allergies.

Your not alone friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member