Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
COVID-19 Patients Need to be Tested for Bacteria and Fungi, Not Just the Coronavirus
"In the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic, hospitals are relying on tests capable of delivering reliable results, minimizing transmission risk and reducing time to treatment in the patients who need it most. Doctors are laser-focused on obtaining and using these tests to identify and treat patients with coronavirus. Yet the emerging risk of co-infections is pressuring hospitals to broaden their patient testing portfolios to address new mortality risks.

Many studies have already found that a significant number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients have and are continuing to develop dangerous secondary bacterial co-infections such as bacterial pneumonia and sepsis.Rapid diagnostic tests that identify the presence of bacterial or fungal infections and drug-resistant pathogens can and will play a critical role in the ongoing public health response to COVID-19. "

Zecats, I am sorry to hear this! I am keeping your family in my positive thoughts.
Thank you. I hope you are doing ok yourself.

My biggest wish is that we could know when and if he is no longer contagious (no follow-up testing)..and also if he might be immune to any further infection.

Last edited:
Seems a bit worrying to me, "most likely" ?

"The cross contamination most likely occurred because chemical mixtures were assembled into the kits within a lab space that was also handling synthetic coronavirus material. The scientists also said the proximity deviated from accepted procedures and jeopardized testing for the virus."

Where was this lab and what is synthetic coronavirus material? Did this happen at the labs in Atlanta?

"......glaring scientific breakdown at the CDC’s central laboratory complex in Atlanta, according to scientists with knowledge of the matter and a determination by federal regulators."
The contamination occurred, they know that. Then they mention the lab space which was used for handling other materials, and the nearness of those materials deviated from accepted practices, within the confined space. Some of your other questions are answered in the link.

Why is the death toll so high in New Jersey?
Many commute via subway to New York for work?
Do they have a lot of old folks home in Jersey?
I sure wish there were still reporters, who explained their stories..

Once NJ commuters hit NYC, they may take the subway, buses to get around.

In my area, many commute to NYC by train, boat, bus and ride share
When the ferry service opened out of Atlantic Highlands to NYC, my family used this service, faster than the train

And there is Newark International Airport too

Nursing Homes

"Nearly 40% of coronavirus-related fatalities in New Jersey have taken place at nursing homes, according to data newly disclosed by state officials.

Outbreaks have been reported at 394 of the state’s 503 long-term care facilities, which include nursing, assisted-living and dementia-care homes. Those facilities have recorded 9,094 cases and 1,530 deaths, the data show. New Jersey has reported a total of 3,840 deaths statewide"

"New Jersey is the most densely-populated state in the nation. The sheer number of people living so closely to each other makes it easier for an infectious disease like COVID-19 to spread, said Dr. David Cennimo, an infectious disease expert and professor at Rutgers."

"The reliance on public transit in New York City and New Jersey, particularly North Jersey, makes it easier for the coronavirus to spread."

"Looking back, I suppose we could have seen this coming as the most densely-populated state in the nation, with a huge concentration of international flights, and of course being located right across the river from New York City, the virus’s U.S. epicenter, where so many New Jerseyans work.

But it’s still shocking that our state has more cases than California, which has four times the population. Now let's hope New York City's crisis doesn't completely overshadow New Jersey in terms of federal government aid."

Nearly 40% of New Jersey’s Covid-19 Deaths Were at Nursing Homes

Here’s why New Jersey and New York are the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic

N.J. has second most coronavirus cases in U.S.

Seastreak Ferries | Servicing New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts

COVID-19 Patients Need to be Tested for Bacteria and Fungi, Not Just the Coronavirus
"In the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic, hospitals are relying on tests capable of delivering reliable results, minimizing transmission risk and reducing time to treatment in the patients who need it most. Doctors are laser-focused on obtaining and using these tests to identify and treat patients with coronavirus. Yet the emerging risk of co-infections is pressuring hospitals to broaden their patient testing portfolios to address new mortality risks.

Many studies have already found that a significant number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients have and are continuing to develop dangerous secondary bacterial co-infections such as bacterial pneumonia and sepsis.Rapid diagnostic tests that identify the presence of bacterial or fungal infections and drug-resistant pathogens can and will play a critical role in the ongoing public health response to COVID-19. "

Don't worry. Physicians are also checking for other infections. By various modalities.

Thank you. I hope you are doing ok yourself.

My biggest wish is that we could know when and he is no longer contagious (no follow-up testing)..and also if he might be immune to any further infection.

That is the $$$billion dollar question

Please don't get talked into one of the fingerstick serology tests. They are worthless and have not been proven valid by really good epidemiologic studies ( The recently reported Stanford study is full of problems and I would not rely on that information for my health, the health of my family or friends, or for anyone I have be in contact with)

Midland County, West Texas Virus Report - 42 cases, 3 deaths.... 1/3 of all cases and 2 of the deaths are members of the staff and residents at one Senior Medical Care facility....... My family and I are all well and fine......moo

When it comes to protecting ourselves from the spread of CV19, there's only three things we have to do: test, test, test.

We definitely need ventilators and PPE's and social distancing, but the lynch pin on smothering this virus is testing.

That means every single person needs to be tested. Not just people who exhibit symptoms or have been identified as being in close contact with someone who has tested positive, but everyone.

I don't think it matters anymore, where the virus originated; focusing on that fact is counterproductive. Because politics doesn't halt the spread, logic does.

It seems to me, based on a lot of anecdotal evidence, is that more people who are asymptomatic are spreading the virus more than people who exhibit obvious signs of a upper respiratory illness.

I had a friend who owned a hotel in Amsterdam. It was probably built in the mid 1700s. It was located on a picturesque street on a canal. The street was narrow and every now and then someone, usually a tourist, ended up in the canal when trying to park in such economic spaces. The car was fished out of the canal and the driver got a tetanus shot. That was it. But when you think about it, it was proactive. Not wondering IF the unfortunate tourist swallowed a mouthful of bacteria-laden water, the logic was that they had. So they got the shot.

We don't know if an individual who has successfully beat CV19 has antibodies. The only way to find that out is to test them. We don't know if someone is asymptomatic. The only way to find that out is to test them. We don't know if someone who tested negative for CV19 can end up positive again. The only way to find that out is to test them.

It is critical that testing and testing supplies are provided to every single city and urban area, starting with those who have experienced the worst outbreaks. It has to be proportionally applied. That's not only logical, it's morally right.

Qoute: It seems to me, based on a lot of anecdotal evidence, is that more people who are asymptomatic are spreading the virus more than people who exhibit obvious signs of a upper respiratory illness.

This is going to be the huge conundrum. Trump, and even Deborah, I believe stated, "you can't test everybody". But then, as I quoted Governor DeWine/Ohio earlier,...when they tested a prison with a very high number of positive covid cases, 39% were asymptomatic. Just think of that... ..40% of staff walking back out into the community, and prisoners walking amid the prison... spread spread spread. There is not alternative (yet) but to test, test test.

I have posted about this a few times, shortages across the country
Now it hits home

Coronavirus NJ: Ventilator drug supplies dwindle at Monmouth, Ocean County hospitals

Hospitals in Monmouth and Ocean counties say they're coping with rising numbers of COVID-19 cases. But a new concern has surfaced: dwindling supplies of drugs in some hospitals used to keep the most critically ill patients on ventilators.

"The demand for these medications is very high all over, and the supply is currently not meeting the demand," said Carrie Cristello, a spokeswoman for RWJBarnabas Health.

The West Orange-based company operates 11 acute care hospitals, including Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood and Community Medical Center in Toms River.

The medications, Cristello said, include Versed, a brand name for the benzodiazepine sedative midazolam; the opioid painkiller fentanyl, which is also used in anesthesia; Diprivan, a trade name for the sedative propofol; Precedex, a trade name for dexmedetomidine, another sedative; and Nimbex, a trade name for cisatracurium besilate, a skeletal muscle relaxer.

Cristello said those medications are obtained through manufacturers or wholesalers.

Coronavirus NJ: Ventilator drug supplies dwindle at Monmouth, Ocean County hospitals

Don't worry. Physicians are also checking for other infections. By various modalities.
That's what happened with DH. Doc thought he had the flu and he went to the local ER to be tested for that. Chest scan picked up glass-like particles in his lungs, and they diagnosed (pre) pneumonia and also said most likely CoVid related. Tested for CoVid as well and results were telephoned to us 2 days later (positive). He has recovered at home and today is up, showered, shaven and watching TV (still in a different room from the rest of us).

May ONLY cost us? How much is a life worth?

DR OZ: "Schools are a very appetizing opportunity. I just saw a nice piece in The Lancet arguing the opening of schools may only cost us 2 to 3%, in terms of total mortality. Any, you know, any life is a life lost, but ... that might be a tradeoff some folks would consider

And that is why Dr. Oz should be shunned.

Utterly crass and stupid statement.

Those 2-3% are real people.

That is the $$$billion dollar question

Please don't get talked into one of the fingerstick serology tests. They are worthless and have not been proven valid by really good epidemiologic studies ( The recently reported Stanford study is full of problems and I would not rely on that information for my health, the health of my family or friends, or for anyone I have be in contact with)
You mean for antibody testing?

That's what happened with DH. Doc thought he had the flu and he went to the local ER to be tested for that. Chest scan picked up glass-like particles in his lungs, and they diagnosed (pre) pneumonia and also said most likely CoVid related. Tested for CoVid as well and results were telephoned to us 2 days later (positive). He has recovered at home and today is up, showered, shaven and watching TV (still in a different room from the rest of us).

Sounds like he is in good shape and in good hands!

The contamination occurred, they know that. Then they mention the lab space which was used for handling other materials, and the nearness of those materials deviated from accepted practices, within the confined space. Some of your other questions are answered in the link.
Most likely is not certain enough for me. This link says there are no reliable antibody or immunity tests available anywhere at the moment.

Double warning over virus antibody tests

"Speaking in Geneva, the World Health Organization's (WHO) Dr Maria van Kerkhove cast doubt on the benefit of rapid serology tests due to a lack of evidence around coronavirus immunity.

She said: "There are a lot of countries that are suggesting using rapid diagnostic serological tests to be able to capture what they think will be a measure of immunity.

"Right now, we have no evidence that the use of a serological test can show that an individual has immunity or is protected from reinfection."

She added: "These antibody tests will be able to measure that level of seroprevalence - that level of antibodies but that does not mean that somebody with antibodies means that they are immune."

Dr van Kerkhove said it was "a good thing" that so many tests are being developed, but she added: "We need to ensure that they are validated so that we know what they say they attempt to measure they are actually measuring." "

I didn't write this, but thought I'd share!

Just be careful because people are going crazy from being in lock down! Actually I've just been talking about this with the microwave and toaster while drinking coffee and we all agreed that things are getting bad. I didn't mention anything to the washing machine as she puts a different spin on everything. Certainly not to the fridge as he is acting cold and distant. In the end the iron straightened me out as she said everything will be fine, no situation is too pressing. The vacuum was very unsympathetic... told me to just suck it up, but the fan was more optimistic and hoped it would all soon blow over! The toilet looked a bit flushed when I asked its opinion and didn’t say anything but the door knob told me to get a grip. The front door said I was unhinged and so the curtains told me to ........yes, you guessed it .....pull myself together!
Moo

Now let's hope New York City's crisis doesn't completely overshadow New Jersey in terms of federal government aid."

Snipped.

With the regional coalition of governors, I'm hopeful the states will work together to make sure each gets what they need.

The virus doesn't recognize our state borders, and cooperation seems logical to me in order to beat it. Competition won't help, imo.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member