Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not believe what I was seeing yesterday when Trump and the First Lady were greeting the 90 year old veterans, and neither one was wearing a mask. They didn’t shake hands but still were way too close considering the vets were definitely in a high risk group. IMO.

The optics is the problem. Everyone now is confused, are we supposed to wear masks? Or not? Is it to protect others? Or ourselves?

Having high profile people wearing masks would go very far in making mask wearing normal.

Coronavirus: Garden centres in England to reopen next week

Garden centres in England will be allowed to reopen next week as one of the early steps to ease coronavirus lockdown measures.

A senior government source told the BBC centres can reopen from Wednesday, if they comply with social distancing.

Nursery bosses must control the number of people inside their shops so customers can keep 2m from each other, while in-store cafes must stay closed.

The Welsh Government has said garden centres can open from Monday.

Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford announced only "modest" changes to the lockdown on Friday - also including that people would be allowed to exercise more than once a day.

He warned that it was "too soon" to go further .

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will confirm the announcement regarding garden centres when he addresses the nation on Sunday.

Guidance issued by the government will tell garden centres they will not be able to reopen any cafes or playgrounds associated with the retail space.

i have never understood the lockdown on gardening centers... ???Hardware stores, Walmarts, Lowes....are all essential and have huge garden departments. I just don't get this one. Social distancing is pretty easy in these departments....

The optics is the problem. Everyone now is confused, are we supposed to wear masks? Or not? Is it to protect others? Or ourselves?

Having high profile people wearing masks would go very far in making mask wearing normal.

I agree on this statement. Just like everyone wanted that one med, the visual lead would go far. I have noticed such a drastic change from three weeks ago to this week... Wearing masks is starting to look abnormal again, and it is so disheartening. I will stay masked so they cannot see my disdain in them not wearing masks...

Google extends coronavirus work-from-home plan till end of 2020
Facebook also reportedly extending employees’ option to work remotely

Google employees will continue working from home until the end of this year, CEO Sundar Pichai told workers. Employees who must return to offices will be able to do so starting in June or July, with extra safety precautions to prevent coronavirus transmission.

Facebook told it was planning to re-open offices July 6 but would let employees work from home through the end of 2020 if they wished.

There is good evidence that this would work so well in large tech companies. Anyone ever have the Myers Briggs tests? We administered these test in all the tech companies I worked for...

There is such a high percentage of employees in tech companies that test out at "Introvert" rather than "Extrovert"... Makes total sense that tech employees are loving the new work environment at home.

On the other hand, Google serves free gourmet meals three times a day....so some folks love to work very l-o-n-g days in the office.

I'm saving a lot of money too, just by not having anywhere to spend it. I'm not particularly high-maintenance but even the little I do, I'm questioning the value of it.

It's not that I don't want to put effort into looking good (I really, really want a fresh hair cut!), but it's nice not wearing make-up all the time and I personally am enjoying seeing other women without all the fussy hair and make-up. We look real.

I like seeing the women newscasters, etc, who are now doing their own hair and make up. They look professional and presentable without the overly "glam" look which adds absolutely nothing to what they are saying.

On the rare occasion I see a woman in full makeup, on a Zoom chat for example as everyone I see in real life is wearing a mask, it looks a bit odd now. imo

I hope the more natural look, while still being well- groomed, will stick around. It's nice.

jmo

I agree on those newscasters!! I noticed one a couple of days ago, who all of a sudden looked "glammed up" again... and I thought "oh she must have gone into the office" and got prepped.

We do live in a diverse country - with so many places to visit and see within our borders.

We canceled an international trip we had planned for this summer, and once we resume traveling, it will be focused on domestic destinations, and by car or train rather than plane. I don't see that happening in 2020, though. :(

jmo

I have ALWAYS had a dream to travel across Canada on the train... maybe I can dream of that...and then detour into those Western states.. dreaming feels soooo good.

I have ALWAYS had a dream to travel across Canada on the train... maybe I can dream of that...and then detour into those Western states.. dreaming feels soooo good.

And people like me, dread this Summer. Montana has not been adding any more cases, except two in Billings, related to a family member who traveled.

Opening back up, everyone traveling to the "Wide Open Spaces", just makes me feel like, "Oh no, here we go again.". It is inevitable.

Yesterday morning I had an eye exam. I didn't realize beforehand how anxious I would be. I was actually rude without realizing it at the time to the optometrist and spent the rest of the day kicking myself over it because, d**n, what sort of a person is rude to someone working in health care right now? If I had realized how anxious I would be in advance I could have dealt with it better. During the short drive home, I realized it was the first time I had ANYONE in my personal space but my partner for almost two months, and I was wary even before that. I have been doing household marketing, but people have been good about maintaining their distance in the stores.

So be aware, especially if you have anxiety issues with strangers, that things that may not have triggered you in the past may trigger you now.

I have a screening mammogram scheduled at the end of May, but I will be better prepared for the stress. I don't think any woman is happy to get one, but at least I am used to dealing with the prospect of one.

Here's where Minnesota is. We are not thinking of opening everything.

May 8, 2020

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and state leaders addressed plans to buy a facility to store human remains in the event there's a surge in COVID-19 deaths.
The plan would spend $6.9 million on a warehouse facility to temporarily store human remains of COVID-19 patients. Officials said the site needs to be available in case there is a surge in the number of deaths from COVID-19.

COVID-19 Daily Briefing: Deaths rising at predicted pace in Minn., Lt. Gov. Flanagan talks about community resilience, recovery group

My legs are killing me too but I’ve never heard that as a symptom of CoVid other than the generic label body aches. My symptoms would fill a thread so I won’t list them. Just this one question. So many people of varying experience post here so someone may have heard of this. My skin feels like it’s burning hot but I don’t have a fever (tried two thermometers.) I don’t even feel like I’m running a fever, no sweating, none of the usual malaise of a fever, just skin that is hot to my touch.

Has anyone experienced this?

Maybe it’s your finger tips being overly sensitive is the symptom, not your skin feeling hot. Nerve endings overstimulated somehow by the virus. (If in fact you have it). Or skin losing its protective traits and allowing the nerves to be closer to the surface of the fingertips to allow for heat sensations to be transmitted more readily. Try touching an ice cube. See if your fingers react intensely to the cold. But it still won’t help to diagnose bc don't know if it’s a symptom of corona 19.

I am saving so much money on hair appointments it has seriously made me reconsider their value. £100 per month at least. I'm easily taking care of it at home as well.

I think this is going to happen with a lot of things. I took my Miniature Schnauzer to the (newly opened) groomer's this morning, but if he wasn't a seriously snarky little dog I would have been tempted to give him a body clip myself since I have clippers. As it was, my backup plan was to ask the vet to have him clipped, sedating him if necessary. It would have been a lot more expensive.

Source: Senator Amy Klobuchar
Our country has seen 1.2 million cases of coronavirus.
That's about 30% of the total cases worldwide, but Americans make up just 4% of the world's population. That doesn't add up.

Here's where Minnesota is. We are not thinking of opening everything.

May 8, 2020

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and state leaders addressed plans to buy a facility to store human remains in the event there's a surge in COVID-19 deaths.
The plan would spend $6.9 million on a warehouse facility to temporarily store human remains of COVID-19 patients. Officials said the site needs to be available in case there is a surge in the number of deaths from COVID-19.

COVID-19 Daily Briefing: Deaths rising at predicted pace in Minn., Lt. Gov. Flanagan talks about community resilience, recovery group
How many dead bodies does he think they will need to store? $6.9 million seems a lot of money.

Last edited:
i have never understood the lockdown on gardening centers... ???Hardware stores, Walmarts, Lowes....are all essential and have huge garden departments. I just don't get this one. Social distancing is pretty easy in these departments....
Our Home Depot has moved all plants outside their garden center. Still available for purchase. Wouldn't say the selection is as good as previous years, but this isn't like any previous years anyway.

Such beautiful words, Kali. I always say that love gets people through, and it seems to be your mantra as well.

I lost my husband last year...and it was some very hard and difficult years, healthwise... But I would do anything to have him back. My purpose in life for the last few years was 'keeping him alive" and I would still love to be doing that...
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member