Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystery Inflammatory Syndrome In Kids And Teens Likely Linked To COVID-19

This new information about the syndrome in children and teens is very disturbing. And has greater implications for Summer School programs, Summer camps, daycare.

As if this pandemic situation hasn't been stressful enough for everyone. But most everyone had a sigh of relief that it seemed to not affect children. This is a whole new twist. Has the virus actually evolved? Changed?

Even more disturbing, is that this syndrome affecting children, has been since SCHOOL WAS OUT! What are the implications for when kids are all together?

"Newburger says there needs to be a registry where doctors can report cases "so we can begin to generate some statistics".".

Last edited:

This new information about the syndrome in children and teens is very disturbing. And has greater implications for Summer School programs, Summer camps, daycare.

As if this pandemic situation hasn't been stressful enough for everyone. But most everyone had a sigh of relief that it seemed to not affect children. This is a whole new twist. Has the virus actually evolved? Changed?
It is so very strange. Why oh why cant the children be spared! When will I be able to even hold our first grand baby due this summer. How old will he or she be before I can do all the Grammy things I want to do. I try not to think about it too much.

:(Yes. So disturbing.
I’m going to try and figure out the logistics of taking a furlough (can I collect unemployment ? Idk) probably not a viable option. what if I’m never called back to work. Getting another job wouldn’t be easy, my options are limited. Age/transportation issues etc
I have some sick/pto time but only a few weeks total.
For now I’m upping my PPE game as much as possible at work staring Monday. Adding some kind of eyewear and using/ reusing my own n95 masks (I have a few-was saving in case someone At home got sick) and being even more:confused: careful with my personal and household disinfecting. Keeping more of a physical distance at home.
Luckily teenager tends to self isolate in their room quite a bit ;)
Think I’ll start wearing some sort of mask at home.
Yes it seems to be quite rare -at the moment - but. It adds a whole new layer of risk imo. Damnit.
I feel sick. Anxious nauseous sick. Not sick sick.

Even more disturbing, is that this syndrome affecting children, has been since SCHOOL WAS OUT! What are the implications for when kids are all together?

"Newburger says there needs to be a registry where doctors can report cases "so we can begin to generate some statistics".".

Last edited:
WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

Carnival Cruise Bookings Surge 600% After Announcing August Relaunch

Many eyes are on the cruise line industry as it reels from the impacts of coronavirus. Earlier this week, Carnival Cruise Lines announced it was scheduling its return to the sea for August 1, 2020. That’s just a few days after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is set to lift their “do not sail” order. Cruise Planners, an American Express travel franchise, reports that bookings skyrocketed 600% over 3 days after the announcement. That was in comparison to the 3 days prior to the announcement. Year-over-year, the company said bookings saw a 200% increase.

The specific number of bookings was not available. But a recent report shows that cruise bookings in April for 2021 sail dates saw a 40% increase year-over-year from 2019. Clearly, people have still been booking cruises since the outbreak began in the United States

Yes. We have very low numbers. 51% of the deaths are in nursing homes, and 95% are very sick already, or over 80 years old. Yes that sucks that people died. Really sucks.
Obviously, nationwide the USA has a huge problem with their nursing homes. Which needs to be investigated and fixed. You won't hear Newsome talking about this though. Why? You've got me, he's more interested in blaming nail salons.
California in under 3 months has gone from an average of $6 billion in reserves, to a $55 billion deficit and growing.
thirty days from now, I expect the deficit to be billions more.
for many reasons, but the first being the States screws up unemployment system.
untold millions have been unable to file for their unemployment, and untold millions have yet to receive a penny, even after they were finally able to file.
As a restaurant business here in California, you would not believe the reopening requirements they've already proposed to us.
We're supposed to be as sanitized as a hospital operating room. Kid you not.
Of course we'll adhere. Anything to start paying the bills.

(Do you think California is ready for the Phase 3 in less than a month??)

Phase 3: Gov. Newsom teases next stage of reopening California businesses is closer than we thought
LOS ANGELES -- California just began to move into Phase 2 of reopening Friday amid the coronavirus crisis, but Gov. Gavin Newsom hinted the Phase 3 could be just on the horizon during a press conference on Friday.

"Phase 3 is not a year away. It's not 6 months away. It's not even three months away. It may not even be more than a month away," Newsom said. "We just want to make sure we have a protocol in place to secure customer safety, employee safety and allow the businesses to thrive in a way that is sustainable."

Excellent piece on how CoVid is transmitted:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Some excerpts:

Remember the formulae: Successful Infection = Exposure to Virus x Time

If a person coughs or sneezes, those 200,000,000 viral particles go everywhere. Some virus hangs in the air, some falls into surfaces, most falls to the ground. So if you are face-to-face with a person, having a conversation, and that person sneezes or coughs straight at you, it's pretty easy to see how it is possible to inhale 1,000 virus particles and become infected.

But even if that cough or sneeze was not directed at you, some infected droplets--the smallest of small--can hang in the air for a few minutes, filling every corner of a modest sized room with infectious viral particles. All you have to do is enter that room within a few minutes of the cough/sneeze and take a few breaths and you have potentially received enough virus to establish an infection.

But with general breathing, 20 copies per minute into the environment, even if every virus ended up in your lungs, you would need 1000 copies divided by 20 copies per minute = 50 minutes

Speaking increases the release of respiratory droplets about 10 fold; ~200 copies of virus per minute. Again, assuming every virus is inhaled, it would take ~5 minutes of speaking face-to-face to receive the required dose.

------Scenario-------

Restaurants: Some really great shoe-leather epidemiology demonstrated clearly the effect of a single asymptomatic carrier in a restaurant environment (see below). The infected person (A1) sat at a table and had dinner with 9 friends. Dinner took about 1 to 1.5 hours. During this meal, the asymptomatic carrier released low-levels of virus into the air from their breathing. Airflow (from the restaurant's various airflow vents) was from right to left. Approximately 50% of the people at the infected person's table became sick over the next 7 days. 75% of the people on the adjacent downwind table became infected. And even 2 of the 7 people on the upwind table were infected (believed to happen by turbulent airflow). No one at tables E or F became infected, they were out of the main airflow from the air conditioner on the right to the exhaust fan on the left of the room. (Ref)

(There's a diagram in the link and other scenarios). This is a good one to pass on to friends and family.

The outbreak started in China, where it quickly engulfed the city of Wuhan before racing across the globe on commercial flights and ships, eventually killing more than 165,000* in the U.S.

The media owns us.

They are in our heads, and we are being played. And worse, politicians are now paralyzed in an election year. We are destroying the future for 10's or 100's of millions on the low end of the American wage scale and ensuring the divide from the wealthy widens.

In an imaginary Twilight Zone episode where the media put Coronavirus on Page 2 instead of headlines, what would happen?

Oddly enough, we could probably just look at the Hong Kong flu of 1968. This novel flu killed 100,000 Americans. Note the "quoted" intro above is describing this flu, and states 165,000* deaths; this is population adjusted for today for context with respect to hysteria surrounding COVID-19.

So how did America react to this deadly threat in 1968?

From the Wall Street Journal-

The novel virus triggered a state of emergency in New York City; caused so many deaths in Berlin that corpses were stored in subway tunnels; overwhelmed London’s hospitals; and in some areas of France left half of the workforce bedridden. Severely ill patients suffering from acute pneumonia were put on ventilators, often in vain. It was the late 1960s, and the Hong Kong flu was sweeping the world.

That pandemic raged over three years, yet is largely forgotten today, a testament both to our resilience and to how societies are now approaching a similar crisis in a much different way."

Yet governments and the media didn’t call for restrictions on public life and economic activity.

This is in contrast to today’s official responses, which have largely focused on imposing a large degree of economic and social disruption to slow the spread of the virus and allow medical authorities to focus on isolating the most vulnerable and protecting individual lives. Strict confinement measures and wall-to-wall media coverage have made the new coronavirus a central presence in most people’s lives.

In 1968-70, news outlets devoted cursory attention to the virus while training their lenses on other events such as the moon landing and the Vietnam War, and the cultural upheaval of the civil-rights movements, student protests and the sexual revolution.

Pierre Dellamonica, a French physician who started his medical career in 1969 as the epidemic was raging, says dead patients were piling up in his hospital in the south of France. But doctors and the public were fatalistic in accepting the death toll, he said. Without 24-hour news coverage, online resources and social media to heighten public anxiety, politicians were under less pressure to act than they are today, she said.

Johann Giesecke, a veteran epidemiologist who advises Sweden’s health-care authorities, said today’s lockdowns are counterproductive because mortality rates will rise again as soon as they are lifted, forcing renewed closures.

Sweden has taken an approach more akin to that used during the Hong Kong flu. Authorities haven’t ordered stores, restaurants or offices to close, letting the virus spread through the population. Today, Sweden has among the highest rates of Covid-19 deaths in the region as a percentage of population.

Forgotten Pandemic Offers Contrast to Today’s Coronavirus Lockdowns

Here in San Diego, Ca. The traffic has gone back to I'd say 65% of normal. No idea where everyone is going.
My personal driving was within 3 miles of my house. Gas station (on fumes) and mandatory vet visit for my doggie for his medicine.
Tomorrow, Mother's Day, I will be driving to my #2 quarantine location... My little sailboat.
It will be interesting to see the traffic during this one hour drive on a family holiday.
I'll report back! Kali venturing out to the wild, wild world in California.

Same. And I'm in a State with not nearly so draconian measures as California. Traffic is on the uptick, but not by a ton that I can see. I expect that will change significantly in the next week or two, though, as employers start transitioning people back to the office -- or trying.

@MsArk , we can be isolation buddies! I hope you feel better very soon and get your results quickly. Hot baths help a lot. Drink plenty of fluids. You are in my prayers! Even though my test came back neg, I am almost positive I have some type of virus, if not COVID-19.

Thx Sallye... I feel asleep as soon as I got back from testing and just woke up. Back up to 101 degrees temp. I am a bit concerned.

It irks me that we have the technology to do so much stuff with social distancing and yet they act like it’s the Stone Age and they all gotta cluster around each other during a pandemic. They don’t even have to be in the same country, let alone the same room, to accomplish a lot of this. Yet here we are, and how many people outside the WH will end up infected by people who frequent the WH because the WH refuses to follow common sense while telling us to do what they say and not what they do? It’s idiotic. I hope we don’t lose the smart ones.

I hope we don't lose any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member