Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Profound' smell loss is a common COVID-19 symptom, study confirms | Live Science

"Among the Covid-19 patients with smell or taste loss, the decrease in sensation was often "profound, not mild," according to the UC San Diego statement. However, the majority of patients recovered their sense of smell and taste within about 2 to 4 weeks, around the time they'd recovered from infection.

"Among the Covid-19 patients with smell loss, more than 70 percent had reported improvement of smell at the time of survey and of those who hadn't reported improvement many had only been diagnosed recently," Yan said."

On April 15, there was not a lot of longterm data. I’ll try and dig out data from some later sources tomorrow. There’s still not a lot of data on this - as some predict recovering smell/taste will take up to a year for some people. I’ll bet that in a year, there will still be some with loss (but not contagious).

Last edited:
Reports of crowds at Standard Hall bar in Columbus prompt multiple calls to police

e1061536-8488-4f42-91dd-7837390b40c6_1140x641.jpg

Credit: 10TV WKYC Cincinnati

It is happening all over the Country - police now have this other job to do!

*sigh*.....Why does it take all these calls to police for so many businesses to even do this? Do some want free publicity?

"Moving forward we will be asking customers to stay seated at their tables and be cognizant of the distance between themselves and other groups."

Last edited:
On April 15, there was not a lot of longterm data. I’ll try and dig out data from some later sources tomorrow. There’s still not a lot of data on this - as some predict recovering smell/taste will take up to a year for some people. I’ll bet that in a year, there will still be some with loss (but not contagious).

Ty.

See:
Olfactory and Gustatory Dysfunctions as Clinical Presentation of Mild to Moderate forms of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

Last edited:
KALI,
Before the Pandemic, say when you were having a real *advertiser censored* day at the restaurant
and you wanted to throw the towel in,
or maybe wanted to throw some dishes,
what would you have dreamed of doing,
if you had just hightailed it out of there?

Possible reasons in addition to others already mentioned - India life expectancy is only 67 for men and 70 for women. PLus COVID deaths are much higher for over 70's.

Life expectancy in India improves marginally - Long live, India
Adding on to my post above here is an article about how high UK deaths are in over 65's that could further explain India's low 2 deaths per million.

Pensioners 34 times more likely to die of Covid-19 than working age Brits, data shows

"About 12% of all deaths relating to Covid-19 have occurred among those under 65 – a total of 4,066 deaths. Most victims have been in the over-65 category, accounting for 30,978 fatalities.

There have been 8.4 deaths per 100,000 people among the under-65 category, which rises to 286 deaths per 100,000 in the over-65 group.

The contrast is even starker in data concerning those under 45. According to the Office for National Statistics figure, there have been just 401 deaths in this age group – one death for every 100,000 people, or around 1% of the overall death toll."

Remember a lady named Tricia? She owns this place and she has this to say at the beginning of every thread:

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

Next person to blatantly politicize or make an anti-POTUS post will receive a 1 week vacation courtesy of Websleuths.
Very sorry Tricia and Silly Billy. I am not anti Potus and it was a stupid post late at night. Apologies everyone.

What's going wrong in Sweden's care homes?

"More than half of elderly Covid-19 victims in Sweden have died in care homes. Some healthcare workers believe an institutional reluctance to admit patients to hospital is costing lives.

Lili Sedghi's father, Reza, was not seen by a doctor on the day he died from coronavirus, at his care home in northern Stockholm.

A nurse told her he'd had a morphine shot in the hours before he passed away, but he was not given oxygen, nor did staff call an ambulance. "No-one was there and he died alone," says Ms Sedghi. "It's so unfair."

Most of the 3,698 people who have died from coronavirus in Sweden so far were over 70, despite the fact that the country said shielding risk groups was its top priority."

I've been listening to Dr. Ferere for months. BTW. She is not a medical doctor.
She has a Doctorate in Social Studies.
In my opinion, she is full of it.
Okay, I guess this post will be deleted too.
I may be out of here soon. One way or another. Just like all the other people who are no longer here.

The MSM article is quoting the L.A. Department of Public Health Director, Dr. Barbara Ferrer. Right, she is not a medical doctor.
Fine to disagree with her. I don't agree with every Medical Doctor who has something to say about the virus.
Her credentials sound good:

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of LA County Department of Public Health, served as the Chief Strategy Officer for the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, providing leadership to the foundation’s key program areas: Education & Learning; Family Economic Security; Health; Racial Equity; Community Engagement and Leadership.

Dr. Ferrer served as the Executive Director of the Boston Public Health Commission. Her leadership saw improvements in the rates of childhood obesity, smoking, and infant mortality.

Dr. Ferrer has also served as Director of Health Promotion & Chronic Disease Prevention and Director of Maternal & Child Health at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and was a headmaster at a Boston high school.

Degrees:
Ph.D. in Social Welfare
Master of Arts in Public Health
Master of Arts in Education
Bachelor of Arts in Community Studies
https://sites.usc.edu/safeschools/panelists/barbara-ferrer/

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Almost 40,000 have died with COVID-19 in England and Wales, ONS says

The number of people who have died with coronavirus in England and Wales, up to 8 May, was almost 40,000 - but figures showed those dying with the virus fell by more than a third in that week.

A total of 39,071 deaths have been registered mentioning "novel coronavirus" in the two nations since the pandemic started up until 8 May, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

In the seven days up to 8 May, coronavirus-related deaths fell by more than a third to 3,930, making up 31.1% of all registered deaths that week.

The latest weekly figures represent a drop of 2,105 (34.8%) from the previous week, when 6,035 deaths were registered.

The ONS said the early May bank holiday had affected the number of death registrations from all causes, with only 88 deaths registered on 8 May compared with 2,950 the previous Friday.

A total of 44,742 more people than average have died from all causes in 2020 up to 8 May, the ONS figures found.

Deaths related to coronavirus in care homes fell for the second week running to 1,666 in that week, from 2,423 deaths in the previous seven days - a decrease of 31%.

The number of deaths from all causes for the week up to 8 May decreased from 6,409 to 4,248.

However, when looking at how many COVID-19 deaths there were compared to non-coronavirus, the COVID-19 deaths made up a higher percentage in care homes that week, rising to 39.2% compared with 37.8% the week before.

And the proportion of those dying with coronavirus in care homes compared to deaths in all settings rose to 42.4% in the week ending 8 May, with 40% the previous week.

The number of people who have now died with COVID-19 in care homes since the virus took hold has now surpassed 10,000, the data showed.

So I'm a guy. One the horrible things we have to do is to occasionally buy Birthday cards. No, I don't really read the inside other than to make sure it is not too sappy. My turn to buy a card came up for our daughter's boyfriend of three years. And this is what the inside said...

View attachment 247368

Oops, my bad. I've been pretty distracted by the virus and things I guess. He immediately posted on Facebook, haha.
Ha! I bet he’s rethinking if he‘ll ever be accepted into this family.

Last edited:
How virus helped revive Australian PM's fortunes

The virus has improved Scott Morrison's popularity it seems.

From link-

As Australia exits its virus lockdown, Prime Minister Scott Morrison's stock is soaring.

It's exactly one year since he was re-elected. Online, there are TikToks of teenagers singing his praises. Shock jocks have apologised for previous criticism.

It's in stark contrast to how he was viewed during the bushfire crisis, where he took a secret holiday to Hawaii while the nation was on fire.

Mr Morrison's perceived failures sparked immense public anger. Citizens swore at him on camera, while firefighters and survivors refused to shake his hand.

Then, as the blazes were dying down in late January, Australia found itself sucked into the coronavirus emergency.

Months later, it has come out on top, seen as a world leader in its handling of the virus. The nation has recorded fewer than 100 deaths and around 7,000 cases.

Details at link.

Both are good theories. Apparently the big cities have really emptied out.

And, there’s evidence that people who’ve had more contagious diseases have better immune systems (or recent vaccinations as well).

Yes, India also has lots of younger people. However, with over 1 billion total population, one would think the population density factor would be in play.

I’m still searching for answers as to such varying rates of CoVid around the world.

I am still amazed. Hopefully we will get more info to help us understand.... I didn't know the big cities have emptied out? Why is that?

Last edited:
Yup, As long as there are hosts, this highly contagious virus will thrive. There is a world full of hosts out there.

Indeed it will. And we have a fairly reliable sense of where things are going over the next several months. People in general will become complacent. They'll begin to minimize the carnage by suggesting that the number of deaths is wrong, that it just attacks old and sick people who were going to die anyway, that we can tough it out, that vulnerable people will be fine if they just stay home, that the organisations which oversee this reportable disease are corrupt, that it was all just a political ploy, etc.

I don't doubt that the covid story will be rewritten as the emphasis switches from our need to protect human life, to our need to return to business as usual. But not all of us will be lulled to sleep. Some of us will be prepared when covid makes a shocking reappearance this fall.

I agree, except for attorneys. Some have taken a hit, but many have, and will continue, to see an explosion of business. I also think the majority of medical professionals will come back, but slower. Small business, not so much. I have no idea about realtors. However, anecdotally, my neighbor put his house for sale like one week before the lockdown and it sold at almost full price in about two weeks. The sign is already down and the new fam moved in.

eta: I think institutional clients will use the Zoom obsession to justify not paying for travel.
Maybe not - their Clients include small business owners and restaurants who have been closed and cannot pay their bills - we have 5 law firms in our complex and all have said clients are slow paying - even the big firms report revenues down - just an FYI from my little world
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member