DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How far has someone travelled the most to quarantine? Is 11,000 miles a record

Author spoken to by police after 11,000-mile trip
_112326589_gettyimages-1152285051.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionMr Gaiman left his wife Amanda Palmer and son behind in Auckland
Police have spoken to author Neil Gaiman after he admitted breaking Scotland's lockdown rules by travelling 11,000 miles from New Zealand to Skye.

The Good Omens and American Gods writer left his wife and son in Auckland so he could "isolate" at his island retreat.

He wrote on his online blog: "Hullo from Scotland, where I am in rural lockown on my own."

Continued at link.

For those who have not seen it, this is a CNBC clip of the part where he mentions taking HDXC. 6 minutes long.

It's possible that other world leaders have taken, or are taking, various therapeutics at some time during the past few months - or that they have them at the ready - and haven't been as forthcoming as our President. Think Macron, Trudeau, Merkel, and many others. JMO.

The MSM article is quoting the L.A. Department of Public Health Director, Dr. Barbara Ferrer. Right, she is not a medical doctor.
Fine to disagree with her. I don't agree with every Medical Doctor who has something to say about the virus.
Her credentials sound good:

Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of LA County Department of Public Health, served as the Chief Strategy Officer for the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, providing leadership to the foundation’s key program areas: Education & Learning; Family Economic Security; Health; Racial Equity; Community Engagement and Leadership.

Dr. Ferrer served as the Executive Director of the Boston Public Health Commission. Her leadership saw improvements in the rates of childhood obesity, smoking, and infant mortality.

Dr. Ferrer has also served as Director of Health Promotion & Chronic Disease Prevention and Director of Maternal & Child Health at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and was a headmaster at a Boston high school.

Degrees:
Ph.D. in Social Welfare
Master of Arts in Public Health
Master of Arts in Education
Bachelor of Arts in Community Studies
https://sites.usc.edu/safeschools/panelists/barbara-ferrer/
Her qualifications are impressive.

What happened?
Hah, sheer chaos really. You were supposed to sign in and form lines by your appointment times. They allowed 11 people in (11 windows open) one at a time as customers left.

Sounds simple right? People walking up with no appointments, getting in wrong lines. I thought 2 guys were going to get into a fist fight. I'd say 50% had masks on, little kids being dragged into the long lines running around.

‘This whole corridor is dead’: Europe’s coronavirus care home disaster

Wherever the virus spread uncontrolled, elderly care homes were left unprotected

Across Europe, coronavirus has ravaged homes for the elderly, raising questions about why the part of society most vulnerable to the disease was overlooked in planning for the pandemic.

Though healthcare systems and policy reactions to the pandemic varied widely, one thing is consistent: in countries where national authorities lost sight of where the virus was spreading, it found its way into care homes and left devastation in its wake.

Roughly half of deaths from the virus across Italy, France, Spain, and Belgium have taken place in nursing homes, according to figures collected by academics at the London School of Economics. In many countries the true figures are only just coming to light, as unlike in Ireland, deaths in care homes were not reported in national figures.

Behind the numbers are individual stories of tragedy. Far from killing people who would have died anyway, the disease stole an average of 13 years of expected life from men, and 11 from women, according to a study of hundreds of victims by University of Glasgow researchers.

Many of their deaths were lonely. Infection risk kept loved ones away or behind panes of glass. The sheer numbers of people who were dying at once overwhelmed staff, and meant people did not always have access to palliative care such as sedatives, to ease their pain as they passed away.

[Much more at link]

This is the most heartbreaking thing EVER! :(

Hah, sheer chaos really. You were supposed to sign in and form lines by your appointment times. They allowed 11 people in (11 windows open) one at a time as customers left.

Sounds simple right? People walking up with no appointments, getting in wrong lines. I thought 2 guys were going to get into a fist fight. I'd say 50% had masks on, little kids being dragged into the long lines running around.
Sounds like the trip I made to Lowes a couple of weeks ago. Horrible experience.

It's possible that other world leaders have taken, or are taking, various therapeutics at some time during the past few months - or that they have them at the ready - and haven't been as forthcoming as our President. Think Macron, Trudeau, Merkel, and many others. JMO.
I agree that is very likely but so far no one else has admitted it. This is today's Guardian editorial on the Trump admission.

Trump says he’s taking hydroxychloroquine against Covid-19 despite FDA warnings

Wherever the virus spread uncontrolled, elderly care homes were left unprotected

Across Europe, coronavirus has ravaged homes for the elderly, raising questions about why the part of society most vulnerable to the disease was overlooked in planning for the pandemic.

Though healthcare systems and policy reactions to the pandemic varied widely, one thing is consistent: in countries where national authorities lost sight of where the virus was spreading, it found its way into care homes and left devastation in its wake.

Roughly half of deaths from the virus across Italy, France, Spain, and Belgium have taken place in nursing homes, according to figures collected by academics at the London School of Economics. In many countries the true figures are only just coming to light, as unlike in Ireland, deaths in care homes were not reported in national figures.

Behind the numbers are individual stories of tragedy. Far from killing people who would have died anyway, the disease stole an average of 13 years of expected life from men, and 11 from women, according to a study of hundreds of victims by University of Glasgow researchers.

Many of their deaths were lonely. Infection risk kept loved ones away or behind panes of glass. The sheer numbers of people who were dying at once overwhelmed staff, and meant people did not always have access to palliative care such as sedatives, to ease their pain as they passed away.

[Much more at link]

Terrible. But I don't believe it is just Europe. Not sure why it has been overlooked in so many places across the world.

"But until March 12th, the official guidance on care homes said there was little risk of infection there and it was not until the middle of April that the government published an action plan for the sector. By May 17th, 5889 care homes in England had reported a suspected outbreak of symptomatic or confirmed coronavirus, 38 per cent of the total."

Will need to check back what was happening March 12th and when the problem initially came to light. The Spanish military finding the abandoned home is my first recollection.

ETA just quickly went to our thread around 12 March and WHO had only just announced it was a pandemic the day before on the 11th. :-(

24th March when this news broke -

Spanish soldiers find elderly patients abandoned, dead in retirement homes

UK was in voluntary lockdown (schools had been closed a week) and had just gone into mandatory lockdown at this point, 24th March.

Last edited:
I agree, except for attorneys. Some have taken a hit, but many have, and will continue, to see an explosion of business. I also think the majority of medical professionals will come back, but slower. Small business, not so much. I have no idea about realtors. However, anecdotally, my neighbor put his house for sale like one week before the lockdown and it sold at almost full price in about two weeks. The sign is already down and the new fam moved in.

eta: I think institutional clients will use the Zoom obsession to justify not paying for travel.

just curious ....what real estate market are you in?? I haven't seen must real estate predictions yet-- I have heard that zoom house showing have zoomed.(sorry). Since I have been reading about these credit lines diminishing down the road, I just don't know how to interpret in relation to house sales. But does anyone have some insight into overall projections for real estate sales???

Terrible. But I don't believe it is just Europe. Not sure why it has been overlooked in so many places across the world.

"But until March 12th, the official guidance on care homes said there was little risk of infection there and it was not until the middle of April that the government published an action plan for the sector. By May 17th, 5889 care homes in England had reported a suspected outbreak of symptomatic or confirmed coronavirus, 38 per cent of the total."

Will need to check back what was happening March 12th and when the problem initially came to light. The Spanish military finding the abandoned home is my first recollection.

ETA just quickly went to our thread around 12 March and WHO had only just announced it was a pandemic the day before on the 11th. :-(

Not just Europe for sure. It appears around 45% of my state's deaths have been from care home outbreaks. Jmo

Virginia based company to manufacture Covid medication in US.

HHS announces $354M contract with Virginia-based company to make coronavirus drugs in US

HHS said the contract is with Phlow Corporation of Richmond and will provide “immediate U.S.-based capacity” to produce active pharmaceutical ingredients and chemical compounds for ingredients to make “critical medicines to help alleviate or prevent drug shortages” during the COVID-19 crisis. The drug ingredients are expected to be manufactured at facilities in the U.S., including a new facility that will be built in Virginia.

According to HHS, the U.S. government and Phlow are developing a “prioritized list” of active pharmaceutical ingredients and finished medicines that are “critically needed” for the response to COVID-19.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has reminded us how health threats or other sources of instability can threaten America’s medical supply chains, potentially endangering Americans’ health,” HHS Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. “America has the capabilities, resources, and expertise to secure our medical supply chains; now the Trump Administration is providing the leadership to make it happen.”

just curious ....what real estate market are you in?? I haven't seen must real estate predictions yet-- I have heard that zoom house showing have zoomed.(sorry). Since I have been reading about these credit lines diminishing down the road, I just don't know how to interpret in relation to house sales. But does anyone have some insight into overall projections for real estate sales???
Phoenix burb. Home prices about $500k and up. Prob about 1/2 or more homes in my very small hood were bought out of bruptcy or on short sale during the RE crash in 2008. So most sellers have lots of equity. Easier to sell if you don’t need to get x amount of $ imo

UK has not been selling/moving at all since March. Has only just been allowed again in England so we have no way of knowing yet for at least a couple of months.

We need a "HA!HA!" button :)
So I'm a guy. One the horrible things we have to do is to occasionally buy Birthday cards. No, I don't really read the inside other than to make sure it is not too sappy. My turn to buy a card came up for our daughter's boyfriend of three years. And this is what the inside said...

View attachment 247368

Oops, my bad. I've been pretty distracted by the virus and things I guess. He immediately posted on Facebook, haha.

He shows a chart in this one that answers @CSIDreamer's question--- US 252/milllion.
He was comparing this to India's 2/million.

Think about how amazing this is when India is so crowded with over a billion people...

I really thought India would be decimated. Jmo

I'm worried that the reason is simply that not enough time has passed.

For India as well as most nations of Africa, I suspect the majority of the population is somewhat geographically buffered from the urban areas where global travel is taking place. Obviously some travel happens -- food, mail -- but for those areas I wonder if some extra few months will need to pass before the virus gets a foothold in the rest of the population.

I believe that happened during the 1918 flu pandemic -- many rural or isolated areas largely escaped the first wave, only to be devastated by the second wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesaccasey