Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
60% of Ohio coronavirus deaths have occurred in long-term care facilities
As the federal government urges governors to conduct coronavirus testing on all residents in nursing homes and congregate care, new data from the Ohio Department of Health shows that three out of five coronavirus deaths statewide have come from such long-term care facilities.

Before April 15 -- when the state health department began compiling data on cases and deaths in nursing homes, assisted-living facilities and other skilled nursing facilities -- there were 369 confirmed or probable deaths attributed to those facilities.

Including the deaths the health department has reported since April 15, health department spokeswoman Melanie Amato said there have been 1,031 deaths in long-term care facilities, which comprise 59.9% of Ohio’s 1,720 coronavirus deathsas of Tuesday.

I wonder what the prison death toll is?

Indiana was around 45% care home total last time I looked. Jmo

DeWine issues urgent health advisory to help prevent spread of coronavirus in Ohio
The governor provided the following details on the advisory:

1. The new advisory incorporates six feet of social distancing; a limit of 10 people for mass gatherings; frequent hand-washing; and other sanitizing efforts.
  2. It incorporates all of the business orders about social distancing and sanitation, including employees wearing masks, as well as efforts to protect employees and efforts to protect the public.
  3. It considers our most vulnerable Ohioans as those who can suffer the worst impacts from the virus. The order strongly recommends that high-risk Ohioans stay at home as much as possible. They should avoid places where they are likely to encounter a lot of people.
  4. Our Urgent Health Advisory recommends (but does not require) all other Ohioans to stay at their place of residence when possible with the intent of lowering the rate of spread of #COVID-19.
  5. While our orders have included limited travel restrictions, these will now be lifted. However, while unnecessary travel within or outside of the state of Ohio is still permitted, it is not encouraged.

COVID-19 KILLS 20 TIMES MORE PEOPLE PER WEEK ON AVERAGE THAN FLU, SCIENTISTS ESTIMATE
COVID-19 kills 20 times more people per week on average than the flu at its peak, say scientists who stress public figures who argue it is "just another flu" are approaching the available data incorrectly.

In an article published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, Dr. Jeremy Samuel Faust of Harvard Medical School's Brigham and Women's Hospital and Dr. Carlos del Rio of Emory University School of Medicine explained why it is misleading to compare the COVID-19 death toll in the U.S. so far with the seasonal death toll of flu. Instead, they argue, weekly figures are a better point of comparison.

"Yet public officials continue to draw comparisons between seasonal influenza and SARS-CoV-2 [coronavirus] mortality, often in an attempt to minimize the effects of the unfolding pandemic," they wrote. President Donald Trump has, for instance, in the past compared the coronavirus to the flu, arguing "we've never closed down the country for the flu," while Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro has called the coronavirus a "little flu."

Public officials may lack an understanding of how seasonal flu and COVID-19 data is publicly reported, the pair said. Similarly to other public health agencies, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shares information on cases and deaths caused by seasonal flu as an estimate based on the International Classification of Diseases codes medical classification list, not as raw data as is done with COVID-19.

COVID-19 kills 20 times more people per week on average than flu, scientists estimate
People don't read the footnotes on CDC data. They take the raw data (actual reported deaths) and push it through some formulas and then come up with an "estimate".

" In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts."

Comparing COVID-19 Deaths to Flu Deaths Is like Comparing Apples to Oranges

People don't read the footnotes on CDC data. They take the raw data (actual reported deaths) and push it through some formulas and then come up with an "estimate".

" In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts."

Comparing COVID-19 Deaths to Flu Deaths Is like Comparing Apples to Oranges

Some people do. Many people here do.

What number is being quoted in which media? No one expects a public health official to speak in terms of ranges (they'd be criticized for that). Methods of determining means, averages and medians are not just "some formula." An average of something is an equation. What is it that you want PH officials to give? Lectures on which of those three might be a good number, the range of numbers?

I've never heard anyone quote a number higher than 15,620 or lower than 3,448. Any word on which media this is?

Counting flu deaths from 1918 would certainly be a strange thing to do, though. "Recent" in public health usually means 10 years.

Some people do. Many people here do.

What number is being quoted in which media? No one expects a public health official to speak in terms of ranges (they'd be criticized for that). Methods of determining means, averages and medians are not just "some formula." An average of something is an equation. What is it that you want PH officials to give? Lectures on which of those three might be a good number, the range of numbers?

I've never heard anyone quote a number higher than 15,620 or lower than 3,448. Any word on which media this is?

Counting flu deaths from 1918 would certainly be a strange thing to do, though. "Recent" in public health usually means 10 years.
This Is How Many People Die From the Flu Each Year

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in the U.S. - STAT

How many people die from the flu each year and how is it prevented?

U.S. coronavirus outbreak soon to be deadlier than any flu since 1967 as deaths top 60,000

Even with their winged hats, it's pretty easy for one child to get to close to another. Yeah, sometimes I think that the people who come up with ideas like this have never laid eyes on a kid.

But ... the children are in school. I hope the protective measures work out for them.
Seems it's more for the adults.

Glad I sanitized my groceries.
Coronavirus: Outbreak of 20 cases linked to Dole plant
The Clark County Combined Health District identified 20 cases of COVID-19 linked to the Dole Fresh Vegetables packaging plant.

Of the 20 cases, 12 are Dole employees (10 confirmed and two probable); eight are contacts of employees (five confirmed and three probable); and three cases involve people who do not live in Clark County, according to a statement released by the district Tuesday evening.

Glad I sanitized my groceries.
Coronavirus: Outbreak of 20 cases linked to Dole plant
The Clark County Combined Health District identified 20 cases of COVID-19 linked to the Dole Fresh Vegetables packaging plant.

Of the 20 cases, 12 are Dole employees (10 confirmed and two probable); eight are contacts of employees (five confirmed and three probable); and three cases involve people who do not live in Clark County, according to a statement released by the district Tuesday evening.

The virus can not be transmitted through food, and if anyone infected at the factory actually touched a can, there is no chance the virus would survive the amount of time involved shipping and putting the can out on a grocery store shelf.

We're hearing that the prison in Lompoc has a rate of 50-60% testing positive for CoVid. This was jacking up Santa Barbara County's otherwise great figures, so they backed that data out (or are in the process of backing it out - I can still see it on some sites). Fairly high rate needing hospitalization (but I can imagine how that goes in a prison - so like 30%).

No word on how many have died. There's a lawsuit:

ACLU Sues Lompoc Prison for Botching COVID-19 Response

I don't think they mention deaths.

Hi guys.....some of us are still here....reading and watching.
Thank you. Been on sit and stay down here in southern Louisiana since Mardi Gras. Did not go to any events during MG but felt that that big crowd was going to affect the city.
Hugs....

Ohio has a prison with number of cases you won't believe.

Updated May 17, 2020; Posted May 17, 2020
Coronavirus outbreak in Marion prisons leaves residents scared for those who work behind bars

wosu.gif
coronavirus-marion-prison-ohio_wide-a000a3dfe087d0f1b6ecfdfcdc32bac00c0ddbf0-s1500-c85.png

3b5aee52-a008-47b2-b597-f2b9d8973ece-MarionProtest3.jpg

MARION — Ohioans from across the state protested outside the Marion Correctional Institution April 25th, carrying signs that said "inmates have rights" and "not a death sentence."

They chose the Marion prison as the site of the protest, where at least 80% of the roughly 2,500 prisoners and at least 169 staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, making the prison the largest known cluster of coronavirus cases in the United States, according to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction and tracking by the New York Times.

77PBR77HFBCZFC66XIYDXPZZ64.jpg

Inmates at the Marion Correctional Institution play basketball in the prison's courtyard.

For every 1,000 people in Marion County, 35 miles north of Columbus,
there were about 37 positive cases, with nearly all of them associated with the prisons.

An officer, John Dawson, and 13 inmates have died at the state-run Marion Correctional Institution. More than half of the prison’s 285 correctional officers and more than 2,000 inmates – or nearly three of every four – have tested positive in recent weeks, according to interviews and prison records.

Down the road from the prison is the privately run North Central Correctional Complex, where more than 2,300 inmates have been placed in quarantine. About 50 inmates and two dozen staffers have tested positive.
Combined, nearly 2,200 inmates and staff have contracted the virus.

Outside of the prisons, in the community, one resident has died and more than 170 have tested positive. Many of those cases have been linked back to workers or relatives of workers at the prisons.

And that has raised residents’ angst.

Last edited:
CDC: Virus 'does not spread easily' on contaminated surfaces Update: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission RSBM The CDC has updated guidelines on coronavirus' spread, saying that it's "not likely" to spread through surfaces.

It's unfortunate that if someone reads the headline/article that they will come away with misinformation. The CDC guideline (which you so kindly linked) doesn't include the verbiage that it's "not likely" to spread through surfaces... it says it's not the major way it spreads. (As we all know here, person to person is major way)

The virus can not be transmitted through food, and if anyone infected at the factory actually touched a can, there is no chance the virus would survive the amount of time involved shipping and putting the can out on a grocery store shelf.
It's fresh produce, plastic wrapped about 3 miles from my house.

I don't have the links but I read somewhere, [helpful I know] that there were studies done that accidentally found that those who were taking HYDC for lupus, etc, did not get the virus very often. Some residents in nursing homes they were infected, were exposed to CV, but didnt catch it---and so people began to wonder if it was a preventative measure.

And I also read that they were prescribing it in India as a preventative medication, and that has helped keep the numbers down.

I will try to find the links to that....

oh please do try to find the links. I remain so curious about India. I do believe a lot has to with diet, and the lack of overweight people. But with all the jam packed towns and villages in India.... there must just be something more goig on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ