Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point, schools have to come back. I imagine masks will be required? They can't close them down for another year, can they? Can they really teach online all the time? I'm glad those are issues that I don't have to solve, if they rear their ugly head this Fall.
I think,as a species, we are going to have to innovate and evolve. I think life as we know it is over for a while, maybe forever. As billions of humans continue to encroach on natural habitats, these outbreaks will continue to occur (see ebola, HIV, zika, avian flu, nipah, MERS, SARS). Trying to deal with them all singly is like playing wack-a-mole on a world wide scale. We need to get off our pedestal and come to terms that, for once, humans need to adapt instead of continuing to rape and slaughter the natural world with nary a thought of the consequence. We got lucky this time. Next time it could be airborne ebola with a 5 day incubation period.

Ryanair boss's face mask claim fact-checked

Mask protocol according to Ryanair boss.

"Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has claimed that if everyone wore face masks on planes and public transport, it would ''eliminate the risk of spreading Covid-19 by about 98.5%''.

Mr O'Leary, who wants to restart flights in July, was speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme. He called the government's plan to quarantine travellers for 14 days "ineffectual" and "unmanageable".

Mr O'Leary said the 98.5% figure came from a study by the Mater Hospital in Dublin. He was unable to produce it and the airline directed us instead to a tweet from the hospital.

Prof Paul Hunter, who has conducted a review into mask studies, told us he could ''find no valid data to support the claims''. "

more at link.

We need to get off our pedestal and come to terms that, for once, humans need to adapt instead of continuing to rape and slaughter the natural world with nary a thought of the consequence. .

Woooo, and here I thought I was just working a M-F for food on the table, and a roof over my head, mix in some sports and beers. I don't know much about the rape and slaughter of the natural world, but I like a nice steak or chicken occasionally. But I will say I am against those dangerous wild life markets over there in China, if that is what you are referring to. Yeah, close them down! As for the rest, I plead not guilty! ;)

It's possible that other world leaders have taken, or are taking, various therapeutics at some time during the past few months - or that they have them at the ready - and haven't been as forthcoming as our President. Think Macron, Trudeau, Merkel, and many others. JMO.

I doubt it. Definitely not happening in France. I asked my s-i-l if the touted medication was used in Canada, and he said doctors in Canada have a different protocol, but, if someone wanted HCQ, they probably wouldn't be denied.

I don't know if it's related to the use of HCQ or if there is another reason, but in the US, closed cases that have resulted in death are well above the international average. One would expect it to be way below the international average. In the US, 20% of closed cases are deaths. That's one in five people! That's huge and should be setting off alarm bells.

I hope that a year from now we are not reading about how the widespread misuse of HCQ lead to unnecessary deaths.

United States Coronavirus: 1,570,287 Cases and 93,519 Deaths - Worldometer

Treating COVID-19 with hydroxychloroquine, with or without azithromycin, leads to more deaths

"Dr. William Haseltine, a former Harvard Medical School professor who had a pivotal role in the development of early HIV/Aids treatments, said: "All of the vaccinated monkeys treated with the Oxford vaccine became infected when challenged, as judged by recovery of virus genomic RNA from nasal secretions."

He wrote in an article on Forbes: "There was no difference in the amount of viral RNA detected from this site in the vaccinated monkeys as compared to the unvaccinated animals. Which is to say, all vaccinated animals were infected."

Doubts over Oxford COVID-19 vaccine after animals tested catch virus

"Dr. William Haseltine, a former Harvard Medical School professor who had a pivotal role in the development of early HIV/Aids treatments, said: "All of the vaccinated monkeys treated with the Oxford vaccine became infected when challenged, as judged by recovery of virus genomic RNA from nasal secretions."

He wrote in an article on Forbes: "There was no difference in the amount of viral RNA detected from this site in the vaccinated monkeys as compared to the unvaccinated animals. Which is to say, all vaccinated animals were infected."

Doubts over Oxford COVID-19 vaccine after animals tested catch virus
The vaccinated monkeys didn't develop pneumonia, unlike the un-vaccinated monkeys. So sounds like this particular vaccine didn't prevent infection but somehow prevented the severity of the disease. Something like this could still be useful, unless better vaccines come up that prevent infection.

Yes! I noticed too. Also kids without their hats...Can't be easy for them to run and play etc...

Even with their winged hats, it's pretty easy for one child to get to close to another. Yeah, sometimes I think that the people who come up with ideas like this have never laid eyes on a kid.

But ... the children are in school. I hope the protective measures work out for them.

I doubt it. Definitely not happening in France. I asked my s-i-l if the touted medication was used in Canada, and he said doctors in Canada have a different protocol, but, if someone wanted HCQ, they probably wouldn't be denied.

I don't know if it's related to the use of HCQ or if there is another reason, but in the US, closed cases that have resulted in death are well above the international average. One would expect it to be way below the international average. In the US, 20% of closed cases are deaths. That's one in five people! That's huge and should be setting off alarm bells.

I hope that a year from now we are not reading about how the widespread misuse of HCQ lead to unnecessary deaths.

United States Coronavirus: 1,570,287 Cases and 93,519 Deaths - Worldometer

Treating COVID-19 with hydroxychloroquine, with or without azithromycin, leads to more deaths
I wouldn't exactly call "treatment" something that actually leads to worse death rate and no benefits. I am amazed that at least some hospitals jumped on this drug and started using it as a "standard of care" when there is no credible evidence it does any good and in fact it might lead to higher death rate.

The vaccinated monkeys didn't develop pneumonia, unlike the un-vaccinated monkeys. So sounds like this particular vaccine didn't prevent infection but somehow prevented the severity of the disease. Something like this could still be useful, unless better vaccines come up that prevent infection.
Oh, no doubt.It could be repurposed as part of a prophylaxis regime perhaps.

At some point, schools have to come back. I imagine masks will be required? They can't close them down for another year, can they? Can they really teach online all the time? I'm glad those are issues that I don't have to solve, if they rear their ugly head this Fall.
Can you ever imagine elementary age kids wearing masks all day?

Can you ever imagine elementary age kids wearing masks all day?

If it is anything like when I went to school, no. I can't see it. Then again, I could never see the current situation, not in my wildest imagination, even when I wake up after living it for 2 months. I never thought of this scenario. I watched sci fi flicks, and I guess some of them make some sense now, especially Twi Light zone episodes.

COVID-19 KILLS 20 TIMES MORE PEOPLE PER WEEK ON AVERAGE THAN FLU, SCIENTISTS ESTIMATE
COVID-19 kills 20 times more people per week on average than the flu at its peak, say scientists who stress public figures who argue it is "just another flu" are approaching the available data incorrectly.

In an article published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, Dr. Jeremy Samuel Faust of Harvard Medical School's Brigham and Women's Hospital and Dr. Carlos del Rio of Emory University School of Medicine explained why it is misleading to compare the COVID-19 death toll in the U.S. so far with the seasonal death toll of flu. Instead, they argue, weekly figures are a better point of comparison.

"Yet public officials continue to draw comparisons between seasonal influenza and SARS-CoV-2 [coronavirus] mortality, often in an attempt to minimize the effects of the unfolding pandemic," they wrote. President Donald Trump has, for instance, in the past compared the coronavirus to the flu, arguing "we've never closed down the country for the flu," while Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro has called the coronavirus a "little flu."

Public officials may lack an understanding of how seasonal flu and COVID-19 data is publicly reported, the pair said. Similarly to other public health agencies, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shares information on cases and deaths caused by seasonal flu as an estimate based on the International Classification of Diseases codes medical classification list, not as raw data as is done with COVID-19.

COVID-19 kills 20 times more people per week on average than flu, scientists estimate

There are some people in this world, that I wish were dead. If God really existed, people like this would be burning in hell, rather than killing what will probably be well over 100K innocent people.

But you get what you voted for.
Maybe. But it's not like we (USA) have much to brag about. We're going to kill 200k easy at this rate.

60% of Ohio coronavirus deaths have occurred in long-term care facilities
As the federal government urges governors to conduct coronavirus testing on all residents in nursing homes and congregate care, new data from the Ohio Department of Health shows that three out of five coronavirus deaths statewide have come from such long-term care facilities.

Before April 15 -- when the state health department began compiling data on cases and deaths in nursing homes, assisted-living facilities and other skilled nursing facilities -- there were 369 confirmed or probable deaths attributed to those facilities.

Including the deaths the health department has reported since April 15, health department spokeswoman Melanie Amato said there have been 1,031 deaths in long-term care facilities, which comprise 59.9% of Ohio’s 1,720 coronavirus deathsas of Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbieJ