Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
haven't commented much been busy but

Victoria has gone backwards, cases have risen here and we've had three outbreaks, two at nursing homes, some at Mcfonalds and some at the meat plant

we've also had 80,000 tests per week done around the state which had lead to some higher numbers because of more testing

we almost got to a point where there were no cases but all it takes is one outbreak and it starts again and we are dealing with that now :(

Scientists propose a 50 days on, 30 days off coronavirus lockdown strategy

Fifty days of strict lockdowns followed by 30 days where measures are eased could be an effective strategy for reducing Covid-19 deaths while ensuring some level of economic protection, scientists claim.
In the first scenario, no mitigation or social-distancing measures were imposed. In every single country, this led to the number of patients requiring treatment in intensive care units (ICUs) quickly and significantly exceeding available capacity. Ultimately, this would result in 7.8 million deaths across the countries included in the analysis, researchers said, and the duration of the epidemic would be almost 200 days in the majority of those nations.

The second scenario modeled a rolling cycle of 50-day “mitigation measures” followed by a 30-day period where those measures were relaxed. Analysts defined mitigation measures as strategies that gradually reduced the number of new infections, such as social distancing, hygiene rules, isolating individuals with the virus, school closures and restricting large public events. These measures did not include a total lockdown.

This scenario was likely to reduce the R number — the reproduction rate of the virus — to 0.8 in all countries, the study showed. However, while it proved effective for the first three months, after the first relaxation period scientists found the number of patients requiring ICU care would exceed hospital capacities. This would lead to 3.5 million deaths across the 16 countries used in the simulation, with the pandemic lasting around 12 months in high income countries and at least 18 months in other nations.

Researchers also modeled a third scenario, which involved a rolling cycle of stricter “suppression measures” for 50 days followed by a 30-day relaxation period. Suppression measures were defined as those that led to a faster reduction in the number of new infections, achieved by applying strict lockdown measures on top of other mitigation measures.

In the third, most stringent scenario, the R number would be reduced to 0.5 and keep ICU demand within national capacity across all countries, scientists concluded. As more people would remain susceptible to catching the virus at the end of each cycle, however, the pandemic would be prolonged and last for more than 18 months in all countries.

But the Covid-19 death toll during the pandemic would be significantly reduced in this scenario, with just over 130,000 deaths expected across the 16 countries included the analysis.

A continuous, three-month strategy of strict suppression measures would be the fastest way to end the pandemic, with most countries able to reduce new cases to near zero in this scenario, scientists said.

Me too. Although it started before CoVid for me. I was reading about skin issues and things like that and decided to work on not touching my face. Messes with my foundation eventually too. :eek:

Sorry about your messing with your makeup. Wearing makeup is pretty much a "no-go". Mickey loves bright pink lipstick, bright red, and...it doesn't work when you put a mask on over it. I looked like Joaquin Phoenix in the "Joker".

In a rather Kafkaesque way, today was surreal, I felt like the scene in the "Joker" was reenacted at work, when everyone looked at me, they were all wearing masks, I was in a mask, and in a mad way, I wanted to laugh uncontrollably and start dancing. No mo Netflix for Mickey.

Midland and Saginaw counties in Michigan are now dealing with dams breaking. I believe Smallwood dam and I know Edenville dam has gave way. Samford dam possibly. Saginaw county is pretty hard hit by CV. Now they've no choice in many areas than to crowd into emergency shelters.

Midland 911 > Current Alerts > Current Emergency Information

A Florida man has been stuck on a ship for 62 days in an Italian port - CNN

(CNN)A man from Winter Springs, Florida, told CNN on Monday that he has been stuck on a cruise ship and then a hospital ship in an Italian port for 62 days after testing positive for Covid-19 in early April.
On March 17, a friend of Grimes and fellow employee tested positive for Covid-19, Grimes told CNN. After consulting with the ship doctor and captain, Grimes said he "voluntarily went into isolation." Fifteen days later, he also tested positive, Grimes said.

Grimes has since been tested seven more times and has received a mixture of positive and negative results, he told CNN.

"We are very concerned about his mental health," Taylor's mother, Ann Grimes, told CNN Monday.

"Last Monday he was sobbing on the phone, saying he wanted to go home," she said. "He had just tested positive."
The American Embassy confirmed to the family it is Italian policy that cruise ship employees may not be released from a ship until they have tested negative in two subsequent tests, Ann Grimes told CNN.
Grimes says he tested negative Saturday, his seventh test to date. He's now awaiting the results of an eighth test, hoping that it will be negative. He would then be able to fly back to the United States via commercial airline, he said.

Posts discussing or bashing religion and challenging or questioning moderation are violations of TOS.

Also, do not enquire about other members. They are entitled to their privacy.

If you are going to leave a thread, just do so without announcing it on a thread. The thread is about Covid related matters, not about individual members.

Thanks.

People don't read the footnotes on CDC data. They take the raw data (actual reported deaths) and push it through some formulas and then come up with an "estimate".

" In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts."

Comparing COVID-19 Deaths to Flu Deaths Is like Comparing Apples to Oranges

Very interesting article, thanks for the link.

Justice Department warns California its reopening plan discriminates against churches

LOS ANGELES — The head of the federal Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division told Gov. Gavin Newsom Tuesday that his plan to reopen California discriminates against churches.

In a letter to the governor, Eric S. Dreiband said that despite a coronavirus pandemic “that is unprecedented in our lifetimes,” Newsom should allow some in-person worship under the current second phase of his four-part reopening plan.

Restaurants and other secular businesses are being allowed to reopen under social distancing guidelines but not churches, which are limited to online and similar services.

That places an “unfair burden” on them that violates civil rights protections through “unequal treatment of faith communities,” the letter said.

Sorry about your messing with your makeup. Wearing makeup is pretty much a "no-go". Mickey loves bright pink lipstick, bright red, and...it doesn't work when you put a mask on over it. I looked like Joaquin Phoenix in the "Joker".

In a rather Kafkaesque way, today was surreal, I felt like the scene in the "Joker" was reenacted at work, when everyone looked at me, they were all wearing masks, I was in a mask, and in a mad way, I wanted to laugh uncontrollably and start dancing. No mo Netflix for Mickey.
The days are starting to feel more and more surreal to me too. At least once a day I'll stop whatever I'm doing and think, "This is just bizarre." More and more deja vu and waking dream moments, I feel like.

Maybe he needed to for his job---my son needed a test to return to work last week.

Maybe he thought he might have been exposed so he decided to get tested?

Maybe he wanted to visit elderly relatives so decided to see if he was negative?

In California, you do not need to have serious symptoms to take the test.
BBM Great to hear that, it’s the same in Texas.

There are testing clinics all over and you can get tested whether you have symptoms or not. Some clinics request a referral and some do not. Some require a voucher that you can get for free by calling the health department.

Just look up your city and you will find a clinic to get tested.

Free drive-thru COVID-19 testing offered in The Woodlands, Magnolia through Kroger partnership

COVID-19 – exploring the... | Wellcome Open Research

Background: The COVID-19 pandemic is responsible for increasing deaths globally. Most estimates have focused on numbers of deaths, with little direct quantification of years of life lost (YLL) through COVID-19. As most people dying with COVID-19 are older with underlying long-term conditions (LTCs), some have speculated that YLL are low. We aim to estimate YLL attributable to COVID-19, before and after adjustment for number/type of LTCs.

Results: Using the standard WHO life tables, YLL per COVID-19 death was 14 for men and 12 for women. After adjustment for number and type of LTCs, the mean YLL was slightly lower, but remained high (13 and 11 years for men and women, respectively). The number and type of LTCs led to wide variability in the estimated YLL at a given age (e.g. at ≥80 years, YLL was >10 years for people with 0 LTCs, and <3 years for people with ≥6).

Conclusions: Deaths from COVID-19 represent a substantial burden in terms of per-person YLL, more than a decade, even after adjusting for the typical number and type of LTCs found in people dying of COVID-19. The extent of multimorbidity heavily influences the estimated YLL at a given age. More comprehensive and standardised collection of data on LTCs is needed to better understand and quantify the global burden of COVID-19 and to guide policy-making and interventions.

Announced today, this coming Friday we are taking another baby step in South Australia with alcohol allowed back on the menu in cafes and restaurants - and expanded seating of 10 inside and 10 outside at those venues.

Then we plan to go to Stage Two of opening up in about two weeks time.

Our state borders are still closed, and we have had about a month of no new cases (barring one person who came in from overseas with the virus, and was quarantined).

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said the decision was largely in response to high levels of compliance by businesses and patrons.
Random breath testing will return on Friday. :eek:
It was stopped on March 17 because of concerns for officers' safety.
Relaxation of coronavirus restrictions at SA restaurants and pubs brought forward - ABC News

VICTORIA - British Columbia’s economic restart got off to a slow and steady pace, with business owners and operators saying they would rather take their time to protect customers and employees from COVID-19 than open their doors too early.

B.C. government operating restrictions placed on restaurants, pubs and some personal and health services, including hair stylists and dentists, were lifted Tuesday due to the province’s successful effort slowing the spread on the novel coronavirus.

But some business operators and owners were planning to reopen later this month or in June.

“We’d rather be a couple days later with this than do the wrong thing a couple days early,” said Greg McAuley, an operator of 10 Tim Hortons franchises in Metro Vancouver.

more at link

B.C. businesses want safe reopenings even if it means taking extra time

The days are starting to feel more and more surreal to me too. At least once a day I'll stop whatever I'm doing and think, "This is just bizarre." More and more deja vu and waking dream moments, I feel like.

Exactly. "BC" now means "Before COVID19". Before every thing seemed to stop, and the new unreal reality we live in.

Maybe. But it's not like we (USA) have much to brag about. We're going to kill 200k easy at this rate.
The disease Covid19 is what's killing those people.. One could say that some poor decisions by a few state's leaders certainly haven't helped the situation, especially in nursing homes. Hopefully that has and will be soon improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luisgill