Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why it's not possible for some people to stay home from a physical religious service for a couple of months, especially when it's possible to see a service online. I mean it's not a forever thing - just a couple of months.

We're starting to see the impacts of Covid-19 on gatherings, and IMO we'll be seeing more like the current religious cases.

It's an extremely important part of many believers lives. I'm all for livestreaming services right now, but it's super hard on a lot of people.

It's also difficult in the US as there is a separation of church and state. A lot of people feel they are giving up their right to practice their beliefs.

"35 of the 92 people (38%) who attended services at a rural Arkansas church March 6–11 tested positive for the coronavirus, ultimately killing three, according to a case study released Tuesday by the CDC.

Why it matters: Places of worship continue to be a problem for controlling the widespread transmission of the coronavirus, especially as some churches and local government officials push to loosen restrictions on religious gatherings."

CDC: 38% of the attendees at an Arkansas church over a week contracted coronavirus

How do you social distance in schools?

Coronavirus: Social distancing in schools 'doesn't exist', head says
'I'd rather your child repeat a year than die'

What the teacher says:

"It's no longer sitting and looking at the teacher at your desk," he said. "We're collaborative, we're creative. We have kids move around the class.

"They're touching concrete materials, blocks and cubes. Would they need to be washed every time a kid touches one? And what about handrails on stairs?"

Mr Minchin said that as a teacher who had been working in one of the hubs for the children of key workers, it was possible to distance small groups of pupils, but difficult.

"If you have a child that gets stuck its very hard for a teacher to socially distance from that pupil. Do teachers need to look at wearing really robust PPE?"

_111927713_gettyimages-887303308.jpg

Concerns have been raised about pupils using handrails on stairs.

What the government says:

• Limits could be put on class sizes
    • A few year groups or pupils could take turns between studying at school and at home
    • Some children could work one week and others the next
    • Some pupils could work in the morning, others in the afternoons
    • Classrooms could be redesigned to ensure social distancing
    • Pupils could take their breaks at different times

Primary school children could return to schools in England as early as June 1st.

What the architect says:

But Alan Dunlop, visiting professor in architecture at the University of Liverpool, said the cost of the measure would be "prohibitive" and added: "Even if you could compartmentalise classrooms, there is the issue of common areas, such as stairways, corridors, toilets etc and the no small matter of parents and carers collecting and dropping off children at the same time.

"I have never seen a retrofit school that works particularly well and certainly none that would promote learning."

_111927710_mediaitem111924098.jpg

The Scottish government is considering if it is feasible for children to carry out physical distancing in schools once the lockdown is over. So how can you social distance in a school?

Last edited:
Arise, Sir Tom!!!

Captain Tom Moore is to be knighted for his fundraising efforts after a special nomination from the prime minister. The war veteran raised more than £32m for NHS charities by completing 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday in April.

Boris Johnson said the centenarian had provided the country with "a beacon of light through the fog of coronavirus."

As an honorary colonel, his official title will be Captain Sir Thomas Moore under Ministry of Defence protocol. The knighthood, which has been approved by the Queen, will be formally announced on Wednesday.

Captain Tom awarded knighthood for NHS fundraising

"35 of the 92 people (38%) who attended services at a rural Arkansas church March 6–11 tested positive for the coronavirus, ultimately killing three, according to a case study released Tuesday by the CDC.

Why it matters: Places of worship continue to be a problem for controlling the widespread transmission of the coronavirus, especially as some churches and local government officials push to loosen restrictions on religious gatherings."

CDC: 38% of the attendees at an Arkansas church over a week contracted coronavirus

The churches don't have to make it hard. Instead of one service with 200 people, have four services with 50 people. Empty rows and only families sit together. Facemasks required. No mingling after the service, unless it is outside and distanced. Discourage the elderly from attending.

My mom's evangelical church was generally very upbeat and engaging for the audience, and not something that goes well with partial capacity. It probably would be interesting to hear the sermons at some of these packed churches during this crisis.

Honestly, this is my biggest concern right now regarding COVID--what do we do about schools and churches regarding children? I am not comfortable working with a group of children right now at church, but we're not having in-person services yet. But I have no idea how I would "teach" a classroom of small children (ages 3-6) to social distance. In fact, I doubt our classroom is even large enough. Same for schools--I have so many many questions--school buses, particularly vulnerable adults and children, playgrounds, gyms, cafeteria seating, etc., etc. I am helping to oversee some of the decisions our church makes and my thoughts are that we should not reopen with child care/children's activities until at least end of summer and we can see how things work out with schools reopening.

How do you social distance in schools?

Coronavirus: Social distancing in schools 'doesn't exist', head says
'I'd rather your child repeat a year than die'

What the teacher says:

"It's no longer sitting and looking at the teacher at your desk," he said. "We're collaborative, we're creative. We have kids move around the class.

"They're touching concrete materials, blocks and cubes. Would they need to be washed every time a kid touches one? And what about handrails on stairs?"

Mr Minchin said that as a teacher who had been working in one of the hubs for the children of key workers, it was possible to distance small groups of pupils, but difficult.

"If you have a child that gets stuck its very hard for a teacher to socially distance from that pupil. Do teachers need to look at wearing really robust PPE?"

_111927713_gettyimages-887303308.jpg

Concerns have been raised about pupils using handrails on stairs.

What the government says:

• Limits could be put on class sizes
    • A few year groups or pupils could take turns between studying at school and at home
    • Some children could work one week and others the next
    • Some pupils could work in the morning, others in the afternoons
    • Classrooms could be redesigned to ensure social distancing
    • Pupils could take their breaks at different time

Primary school children could return to schools in England as early as June 1st.

What the architects say:

But Alan Dunlop, visiting professor in architecture at the University of Liverpool, said the cost of the measure would be "prohibitive" and added: "Even if you could compartmentalise classrooms, there is the issue of common areas, such as stairways, corridors, toilets etc and the no small matter of parents and carers collecting and dropping off children at the same time.

"I have never seen a retrofit school that works particularly well and certainly none that would promote learning."

_111927710_mediaitem111924098.jpg

The Scottish government is considering if it is feasible for children to carry out physical distancing in schools once the lockdown is over. So how can you social distance in a school?

The churches don't have to make it hard. Instead of one service with 200 people, have four services with 50 people. Empty rows and only families sit together. Facemasks required. No mingling after the service, unless it is outside and distanced. Discourage the elderly from attending.

My mom's evangelical church was generally very upbeat and engaging for the audience, and not something that goes well with partial capacity. It probably would be interesting to hear the sermons at some of these packed churches during this crisis.

I honestly think they need (all of them) to consider skipping praise and worship for now. Jmo

But I have no idea how I would "teach" a classroom of small children (ages 3-6) to social distance.

I have no idea how you can control such young people, and how much they can even understand the whole concept of social distancing. I mean, at any instance, they could run somewhere or do anything. They have to wear masks and stuff. I cannot imagine. I don't really work around young kids much, but that must be a tough job in this pandemic.

I will critique an action, as I think discussing is within TOS.

This is ridiculous. MOO.

The impact of breathing is hindered with such. Not good when exerting so much MOO.
Could they just plexiglas the open bit? Air would get in from the bottom of the helmet OK.
Also, why not just take their temperatures before the games or test them?

How do they know they caught it from those people at church and not somewhere else in the community?

One of the pastors did that and took social distancing of family groups into account but was still fined.

At some point, schools have to come back. I imagine masks will be required? They can't close them down for another year, can they? Can they really teach online all the time? I'm glad those are issues that I don't have to solve, if they rear their ugly head this Fall.

Could they just plexiglas the open bit? Air would get in from the bottom of the helmet OK.
Also, why not just take their temperatures before the games or test them?

How do they know they caught it from those people at church and not somewhere else in the community?
I don't know. CDC did the case study, not I.

wuhan to have all tested for covid 19 - Bing

Fears of new coronavirus outbreak in Chinese region of 100million people after two cities went into Wuhan-style lockdown

Emilia Jiang For Mailonline
8 hrs ago
Fears of a possible new outbreak in a Chinese region of over 100 million residents have been fuelled after two cities from the area went under Wuhan-style lockdown.

Officials from Jilin province of north-eastern China appointed two hospitals today as designated coronavirus facilities to deal with the overwhelming spike of suspected COVID-19 patients.
The directive, billed as ‘Shulan’s most strict measures’, said that residential compounds with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 cases have been sealed off from Monday, with no citizen allowed to enter or leave. Daily supplies will be delivered to residents’ front doors by local supermarkets.

Households from areas with no infections can appoint only one family member to go out to purchase essentials once every two days for a maximum of two hours. Residents who break such rules will be banned from leaving their homes completely and 'severely punished in accordance to the laws', the notice said.

UK coronavirus death toll over 44,000 - nearly 10,000 more than previously thought

UK coronavirus death toll over 44,000 - nearly 10,000 more than previously thought

Dave Burke
9 hrs ago
The number of coronavirus deaths in the UK is nearly 10,000 higher than previously estimated - with the death toll now standing at 44,000.

Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) reveals that by May 8, the number of Covid-19 deaths in England and Wales was 39,006 - compared to 29,349 previously declared by the Department for Health.

It brings the current death toll to more than 44,000 when Scotland and Northern Ireland's deaths are accounted for, and those confirmed by NHS England on dates after May 8.

In spite of a fall in the number of deaths registered in the seven days to May 8, the number was still more than 3,000 higher than average.
But it is a steep decline on the 12,000 excess deaths reported a fortnight ago.

At the end of the article it says:

"New Jersey State Police Col. Patrick Callahan said state officials were aware the facility was issued citations. He said Camden County prosecutors are determining if charges will be filed for defying the governor's order."

Then what is the citation for if your going to be criminally charged? And why would you waste the court"s resources when you can do what other States do:

Revoke their licenses!

Citations should not come with criminal charges.

Brazil jumps to third in COVID-19 cases worldwide
AAAkOaU.img

Brazil jumps to third in COVID-19 cases worldwide

AFP
14 hrs ago
Brazil has the third-highest number of novel coronavirus cases in the world, according to official figures released Monday, a troubling surge for a country struggling to respond to the pandemic.

With 254,220 confirmed cases, Brazil has now surpassed Britain, Spain and Italy in the past 72 hours on the list of total infections, and is behind only the United States (1.5 million) and Russia (290,000).

Brazil has registered 16,792 COVID-19 deaths, the sixth-highest toll in the world.

But experts say under-testing means the real figures could be 15 times higher or more.
The giant South American country of 210 million people is torn by a political battle over how to respond to the virus.

Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro compares the virus to a "little flu," condemns the "hysteria" surrounding it and is urging the country to get back to work to stop an economic crash.

State and local authorities, however, are largely calling on citizens to stay home and practice social distancing -- backed by the Supreme Court, which gave them the final say in the matter.

Bolsonaro is now seeking his third health minister since the pandemic began.

Wealthy countries failing Africa during pandemic, presidents say

Wealthy countries failing Africa during pandemic, presidents say

6 hrs ago
Wealthy countries are failing Africa, with pledges of financial support and debt relief falling well short of the continent's needs as it battles the COVID-19 pandemic, several African presidents said on Tuesday.
Developed economies have channelled trillions of dollars into health initiatives and economic stimulus at home. But the presidents - from Kenya, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Senegal and Niger - said they could not afford such measures in their own countries.

"We're not in a position to protect companies, to preserve jobs. There's an injustice that is again being exposed by COVID-19," Senegal's President Macky Sall said during a virtual roundtable organised by the New York Forum Institute think-tank.

Hello all from Jeff Davis parish:
Almost no one wearing masks, except me & MrTony. The Harrowing Times have proven too much for me, since I believe I got something in January, along with a friend.
Dishwasher broke $2k MrTony is Doctor on furlough, so is my son who will surely die if he catches this & the V.A. Has its way.

And Harry, our ginger tom, (yea, I just had to name the stray that) got in a brawl with a raccoon several nights ago & is MIA. We think the coyotes got the raccoon last night. If I’m quoting the Red Queen correctly: ‘...it takes all the running I can do to stay in the same place.’

Have mild SOB upon minimum exertion & fatigue. And the back-end-of-rag-doll blues. Most days I just lurk. @Bravo & HKP, hope you improve. Blessings to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bshie