Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #69

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - we are a hot mess and getting worse everyday - the opening of schools is in a few weeks and I would be terrified to send my child in -
JMO

Children will be safe to go back to school, when hospitals reopen their doors to visitors.
And we start having trials with a jury again.
Moo
and be able to visit our loved ones in nursing homes, and our own grandchildren......and have a beer in a bar....
IMO

Samuel Adams Boston Tap Room closes rooftop patio due to influx of out-of-state visitors from coronavirus hotspots

more at link/Massachusetts
Outdoor seating will not be available at the Samuel Adams Boston Taproom anymore after an influx of out-of-state visitors from coronavirus hotspots, according to the business.

The tap room announced in a Facebook post Tuesday that it will be closing its rooftop patio, which has been running for the past three weeks, out of an abundance of caution for its patrons and employees.

“While we love welcoming visitors to the taproom, we also know we need to do our part to keep everyone as safe as possible,” the post said.

Last edited:
New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art will reopen at the end of August

New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art announced that it plans to reopen to the public on Aug. 29.

"The Museum has been closed since March 13, 2020, and had previously not been closed for more than three days in over a century," the Met said in a statement announcing the reopening.

There will be members-only days on Aug. 27-28 before the full reopening.

The Met Cloisters, its uptown museum in Fort Tryon Park, will open in September.

From the report.

Unbelievable. Seriously. Lives, income and businesses are being ruined over this pandemic.
This REALLY ticks me off.

"Countless labs have reported a 100 percent positivity rate, which means every single person tested was positive. Other labs had very high positivity rates. FOX 35 News found that testing sites like one local Centra Care reported that 83 people were tested and all tested positive. Then, NCF Diagnostics in Alachua reported 88 percent of tests were positive."

Samuel Adams Boston Tap Room closes rooftop patio due to influx of out-of-state visitors from coronavirus hotspots

more at link/Massachusetts
Outdoor seating will not be available at the Samuel Adams Boston Taproom anymore after an influx of out-of-state visitors from coronavirus hotspots, according to the business.

The tap room announced in a Facebook post Tuesday that it will be closing its rooftop patio, which has been running for the past three weeks, out of an abundance of caution for its patrons and employees.

“While we love welcoming visitors to the taproom, we also know we need to do our part to keep everyone as safe as possible,” the post said.
It's nice to see private business stepping up. Walmart, Starbucks, Best Buy, many others. It's going to get really difficult for people who don't want to wear masks or social distance to go anywhere. jmo

I know how the USG works TY. I worked for them for more than 20 years. I only see the HHS requesting info. What do you think is the reason?

They are not 'requesting' it. They are stepping in between the epidemiologists and the data. The White House says they will have a "new data handling system" but of course, that won't happen - the data are the data, but now won't be public.

It's extraordinarily concerning and should make every other country in the world heap scorn and censure upon this decision.

We simply cannot do this and not have hundreds of thousands of people dead. It's a request. It's a ban on hospitals sending CoVid death and case data to the CDC, where epidemiologists from all over have access to the data. Until the White House actually produces today's data (it's supposed to start today!) I personally won't trust their figures. And how will we know they are right?

Fortunately, each state also has its reporting mechanisms (although as we've seen, some states don't have a handle on this). But those of us living in places like New York and California will still get data.

I worry a lot about Florida, Arizona and Texas. But also both Carolinas, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana and Missouri.

One caveat: hospitals can be mandated to do one thing and threatened by withholding of major funding from the feds - but Medical Examiners/Coroner's Offices/local filings of death certificates should not be affected. But now, there will likely be two conflicting streams of data for news agencies to pick from - and I know which one I'd trust.

(I'm posting the link to the air conditioning citations in just a second here).

I have permission from Tricia to post this:

Air conditioning links

The front page has my links and citations regarding air conditioning/ventilation. There's considerably more than what I linked. The links are a mixture of rather technical literature, academic publications and various more readable news articles. The news articles are all drawing on the published literature (and I don't have the links to every single article, but the bibliography at the bottom and the EU pdf is pretty thorough).

Tagging @tresir2012

Last edited:
Governor Cuomo Announces New COVID Rental Assistance Program

Governor Andrew Cuomo today announced an emergency rental assistance program that will help keep low-income families throughout New York in their homes. The program, which is designed to reach those individuals and families with the greatest need, will provide direct aid for tenants who lost income due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is funded through the Coronavirus Relief Fund, which is part of the CARES Act. The program is administered by New York State Homes and Community Renewal and access to program applications will be available here on Thursday, July 16.

"Since day one we made it clear that no New Yorkers should be thrown on the streets because of hardships caused by this pandemic," Governor Cuomo said. "It's critically important that people are able to stay safely in their homes as we progress through our data-driven, phased reopening, and the COVID Rent Relief Program reinforces that commitment with direct assistance to those in the greatest need."

Some of our states are doing a rather good job keeping the virus suppressed with social distancing. The states where the virus is spreading rapidly need to follow their example.
There are many examples of other countries getting it done, too. Great and effective strategies.

It's perplexing that our own government's strategy (CDC) closely mirrors those success stories, but we aren't following it.

Some of our states are doing a rather good job keeping the virus suppressed with social distancing. The states where the virus is spreading rapidly need to follow their example.

Agreed. The new policies at WalMart and other businesses should help even those states. California is back in a kind of lockdown. We have around 250,000 known active cases. That's far too many. We risk going exponential (well, we were going exponential until two days ago, I think both the Governor's actions and the actual fear that people are starting to feel about CoVid are working).

First, some counties had zero deaths and no one knew anyone with CoVid. A month later, even if no one knows a patient personally, the news has plenty of stories about Covid (both death and survival) and local papers can't avoid mentioning deaths.

All over Facebook and in various other conversations, I think people are realizing that a 2% overall death rate is high. Much higher than the flu, and the subsequent longterm illnesses are a major concern. I grabbed the 2% overall death rate from a county in SoCal, where their data is presented very clearly:

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/cont...mmunity_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/status.html

I was surprised to see the comparatively high number of children in that data. 145 kids 9 and under per 100,000 of population. That's cases, not deaths. But it's about the same as the number of cases for the entire population of Montana.

My own county has now decided to present only the bare minimum of data and does so in a completely incoherent, almost unreadable way. ::sigh::

Statement from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on New York Being Named Most Responsible State in Fighting COVID-19 in New Study by The Truth About Insurance

"The last 137 days have been hell for New York as we were the epicenter of this pandemic. However, New Yorkers stood as one, acted responsibly and - as many other states in this nation are now grappling with new spikes of this insidious virus - the beast, for now, has been brought to bay in this state. A new study by The Truth About Insurance has named New York the most responsible state in fighting COVID-19. We've used data and science to drive this fight and fuel our re-opening strategy, but make no mistake, this distinction is shared by every single New Yorker who did the right thing these last months, ignored the politics, socially distanced and wore a mask."

"Together, we climbed this terrible mountain and came down on the other side, but we can't stop now. We must remain disciplined and we must remain New York Tough. We've come too far to go back to where we were."

HISD will offer only online learning when school begins on Sept. 8

HOUSTON — All HISD students will begin the school year virtually on Sept. 8, the district tweeted Wednesday. Virtual instruction will continue for six weeks through Friday, October 16.

Under the plan, face-to-face instruction for all students will begin on Monday, October 19. This date is subject to change based on COVID-19 conditions across the City of Houston and recommendations from local, state, and federal health officials.

Parents not comfortable with sending their children back to school will have the option to opt out of face-to-face instruction entirely for the fall semester and school year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez