Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m starting to wonder how late in the summer they had it.

Judge Amy Coney Barrett, the President's nominee for the US Supreme Court, was diagnosed with coronavirus late this summer but has recovered, according to three sources familiar with the matter.
Barrett, and her husband, Jesse, were diagnosed. Jesse Barrett was asymptomatic but Barrett felt "a little under the weather but recovered," one of the sources said.

Amy Coney Barrett: Trump's Supreme Court nominee was diagnosed with coronavirus this summer - CNNPolitics

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding about tests. A negative result shows only that you are negative at one, singular point in time. You could be in the process of developing the infection and still test negative.

ETA: testing everyone right before an event takes time and doesn’t ensure that no one is positive i.e. the event is safe.

Last edited:
I’m starting to wonder how late in the summer they had it.

Judge Amy Coney Barrett, the President's nominee for the US Supreme Court, was diagnosed with coronavirus late this summer but has recovered, according to three sources familiar with the matter.
Barrett, and her husband, Jesse, were diagnosed. Jesse Barrett was asymptomatic but Barrett felt "a little under the weather but recovered," one of the sources said.

Amy Coney Barrett: Trump's Supreme Court nominee was diagnosed with coronavirus this summer - CNNPolitics

I have no way of knowing the answer, but I do wonder if it coincided with the large outbreak on campus early August?

Notre Dame suspends in-person classes after COVID-19 cases surge following off-campus parties

On Monday, Notre Dame — one of the country's wealthiest and most prestigious religious colleges — reported 80 new confirmed coronavirus infections, bringing the school's total number of cases to 147 since the South Bend, Indiana, campus resumed in-person classes on August 3, according to the university's website. Monday's testing data indicate a 19.1% positivity rate, nearly four times the rate that the World Health Organization recommends for states to reopen.

Last edited:
valid point - Have you seen reference to a timeline from his last negative test to the positive test?

No, but we know that he arrived at the debate too late to follow their rapid testing protocol. They allowed him to use the "honor system," which included the information that his own camp had testing - but no proof of it.

Curiouser and curiouser. It's very difficult to trust information coming from the WH right now - not sure what they can do to fix that (his doctor could make a press release I guess) or that they care whether we know the truth about all of this.

And I'm not sure it matters all that much - what's done is done. We have a situation where, counter to all past presidents in my lifetime, we do not have updates from his physician on his health on a regular basis. And, given that our cultural attitudes about the privacy of health information have changed, perhaps that's a good thing.

We are getting updates on his health now, which is the tradition - I think that's a good thing. Journalists on several networks are saying the doctor is "evasive" though - we do not yet know exactly when he got his negative test or if he received oxygen (I would assume he was getting oxygen while still at the White House, if he was short of breath).

It's just such a huge deal that so many in the line of succession have CoVid (or may have CoVid) and I wonder how far this spreader event will go. Trump is getting world class care and at any early stage in the course of his illness. But it's clear that WH protocols were not sufficient to contain CoVid at the Rose Garden (which had two indoor receptions immediately thereafter - in case anyone is worried that this was transmitted outdoors; I believe that it was not, they went indoors and socialized).

https://twitter.com/JonLemire
@JonLemire
BETHESDA, Md. (AP) — AP source: President Trump was administered supplemental oxygen at the White House on Friday before going to hospital.

@Santucci
Sources close to the President tell @ABC Trump was having trouble breathing & received supplemental oxygen on Friday at the White House after his oxygen levels dropped. This in part prompted the Trump to be transferred to Walter Reed w/ @KFaulders - confirming @nytimes

Various MSM news outlets questioning why Biden isn't quarantining.

Biden's negative COVID test doesn't mean he's clear of coronavirus yet

Not completely out of the woods': Biden's negative test doesn't mean he can't be positive in coming days

Both men did not wear masks during the 90-minute televised event, often shouting or speaking in loud voices, which is known to spread more viral particles. And if Trump had been contagious and Biden walked directly behind him onto the stage, Biden could have passed through a cloud of particles, potentially inhaling some, Mina said.

Rose Garden...
Told they no longer needed masks???
No, but we know that he arrived at the debate too late to follow their rapid testing protocol. They allowed him to use the "honor system," which included the information that his own camp had testing - but no proof of it.

Curiouser and curiouser. It's very difficult to trust information coming from the WH right now - not sure what they can do to fix that (his doctor could make a press release I guess) or that they care whether we know the truth about all of this.

And I'm not sure it matters all that much - what's done is done. We have a situation where, counter to all past presidents in my lifetime, we do not have updates from his physician on his health on a regular basis. And, given that our cultural attitudes about the privacy of health information have changed, perhaps that's a good thing.

We are getting updates on his health now, which is the tradition - I think that's a good thing. Journalists on several networks are saying the doctor is "evasive" though - we do not yet know exactly when he got his negative test or if he received oxygen (I would assume he was getting oxygen while still at the White House, if he was short of breath).

It's just such a huge deal that so many in the line of succession have CoVid (or may have CoVid) and I wonder how far this spreader event will go. Trump is getting world class care and at any early stage in the course of his illness. But it's clear that WH protocols were not sufficient to contain CoVid at the Rose Garden (which had two indoor receptions immediately thereafter - in case anyone is worried that this was transmitted outdoors; I believe that it was not, they went indoors and socialized).

Attendees were so confident that the contagion would not invade their seemingly safe space at the White House that, according to Jenkins, after guests tested negative that day they were instructed they no longer needed to cover their faces. The no-mask mantra applied indoors as well.

Virus spread in White House with culture of invincibility

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a deep concern," Gupta told Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie. "What we know now with COVID-19, what we didn't know a few months ago, is that frankly 6 feet may not be enough, especially in an indoor environment that is not well ventilated.

Chris Wallace was quoted earlier in the thread saying that their lecterns were 12 feet apart. But of course we know that Covid-19 is airborne. Loud speech sends out droplets that can linger and move through the air. So Biden may not have been safe even at 12 feet away. IMO he should quarantine.

Some evidence suggests that talking could be a significant mode of viral transmission. A study published on May 13 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA used laser light scattering to visualize tiny saliva droplets expelled during speech. The research did not measure droplets with viable SARS-CoV-2 virus. But if one assumes the droplets contain seven million virus particles per milliliter, a minute of loud speech could generate more than 1,000 virus-containing droplets that could hang in the air for eight minutes or more, the researchers write in the study. “There is a substantial probability that normal speaking causes airborne virus transmission in confined environments,” they conclude.

How Coronavirus Spreads through the Air: What We Know So Far

Debate - Tuesday
Rally in Wisconsin - Wednesday
Fundraising event in NJ - Thursday
Positive covid - Friday 1:00am (from test on Thursday)

Officials at the White House have known about Ms. Hicks’s likely diagnosis since Wednesday evening, when she traveled with the president aboard Air Force One to Minnesota for a campaign rally in Duluth. One person familiar with the events on Wednesday said that Ms. Hicks began exhibiting minor symptoms around the time of Mr. Trump’s rally, and that she was quarantined on the return flight to Washington and then disembarked from the back entrance of the plane.

Trump Says He’ll Begin ‘Quarantine Process’ After Hope Hicks Tests Positive for Coronavirus

I am surprised we have not heard more of Ronna McDaniel...Chair of Repub Committee. She met with T on Friday, before the Saturday party in the Rose Garden, and supposedly was in quarantine since LAST SATURDAY. ???Why???

RNC chairwoman tests positive for coronavirus - CNNPolitics

Inside Amy Coney Barrett's Supreme Court nomination that helped spread the virus across the US government - CNNPolitics

OK...now, a NYT article says she was officially diagnosed on Weds. But was she sick, and did she tell the president after being with him on Friday???

She was last with Mr. Trump last Friday, and has been at her home in Michigan since then, the people briefed on the matter said.

She received her diagnosis on Wednesday, they said. After a crowded donor event in March at Mar-a-Lago, the president’s private club in Florida, Ms. McDaniel fell ill, but she tested negative at the time.

Various MSM news outlets questioning why Biden isn't quarantining.

Biden's negative COVID test doesn't mean he's clear of coronavirus yet

Not completely out of the woods': Biden's negative test doesn't mean he can't be positive in coming days

Both men did not wear masks during the 90-minute televised event, often shouting or speaking in loud voices, which is known to spread more viral particles. And if Trump had been contagious and Biden walked directly behind him onto the stage, Biden could have passed through a cloud of particles, potentially inhaling some, Mina said.

He should absolutely quarantine.

I saw this in the early days and became even more of a germaphobe than I already was!

Microdroplets pose coronavirus risk | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Biden Holds Event in Michigan After Negative COVID-19 Test

"The CDC recommendation is for quarantine of those exposed to cases of COVID-19; at the time of the debate, the president did not have COVID-19," he said. "Furthermore, Biden was socially distanced, so the risk of infection should be low."

"As long as he wears a mask and has no symptoms, others around him should be at low risk even if he does become infected," Petrosino said.

"The CDC recommendation is for quarantine of those exposed to cases of COVID-19; at the time of the debate, the president did not have COVID-19," he said. "Furthermore, Biden was socially distanced, so the risk of infection should be low."

"As long as he wears a mask and has no symptoms, others around him should be at low risk even if he does become infected," Petrosino said.

Why anyone would go to either a Republican or Democratic rally is IMO crazy.

I appreciate that masking and distancing are always a part of his events. I hope he stays okay, along with everyone around him. But yes, he should quarantine. Unfortunate that carelessness and arrogance has to affect other people's lives.

Although I’m concerned about Biden being infected by the airborne virus potentially floating his way during the debate, and I really think he should quarantine, he is great about keeping his distance and wearing a mask at campaign events. So I do agree he is unlikely to spread the virus if it turns out he is infected. Here’s hoping.
JMO

Thank you for your post. I guess for THIS case it doesn't matter if they know who it was as I believe MOO that they know this spreader event happened at the Rose Garden.

It is so clear MOO that this was when it happened.

Ronna was with T on Friday...and tested positive on Wednesday...
T could actually be the superspreader in the Rose Garden, after being with her...... My guess is that she was going to be going to the other week's events--Rose Garden, Debate but had herself in quarantine--one day after being with T.
RNC chairwoman tests positive for coronavirus - CNNPolitics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member