Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the Commission on Presidential Debates give a reason for wanting to go to a virtual format? If the President is following CDC guidelines for 10 days of quarantine after symptoms begin, and the requisite number of days fever-free and symptom-free, then why is the Commission changing the format? Surely they could figure out a way to minimize contact between debaters and do PPE for audience and moderator, etc. So am curious about why the Commission made this decision.

RBBM

The President is not supposed to quarantine... he is supposed to isolate per CDC guidelines.

Isolate is when you are positive. Keep away from others. (i.e. it's not that he should walk around and expect others being the only ones to have a mask on)

Quarantine is when you have been exposed to others and are not positive.

Quarantine and Isolation | Quarantine | CDC

HTH!

Last edited:
I was wondering why I didn’t see this event being mentioned in the few news places I frequent-until this morning . (And I had the date wrong - thought it happened previous to the rose garden)

Anyway. Imo and moo I’m currently furious.

Sincerely Hope those families in attendance have since gotten tested-preferably multiple times- and are quarantined. And hoping none of them will be affected.

White House Reception for Bereaved Military Families May Also Have Been COVID Spreader Event

The ongoing COVID-19 outbreak among top Republicans, including the president, includes a number of individuals who attended a White House event for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett on Sept. 26.

According to Military.com, Coast Guard, Adm. Charles W. Ray (who also tested positive) and other senior military officials were present at an event for bereaved military “Gold Star” families that was held indoors at the White House the following day.

Photos from the event show Donald and Melania Trump, who have both since tested positive for COVID-19, standing close to guests. No one in the photos is wearing masks. The New York Times reported that the White House is not doing any contract tracing for events prior to Sept. 28, which would mean that the families present have not been told they were potentially exposed and there has not been any effort made to quarantine any White House officials who were present.

At least two active members of the armed forces who are members of the president’s detail have tested positive in recent days, but it isn’t publicly known whether they were at the Gold Star gathering.

RBBM

The President is not supposed to quarantine... he is supposed to isolate per CDC guidelines.

Isolate is when you are positive. Keep away from others. (i.e. it's not that he should walk around and expect others being the only ones to have a mask on)

Quarantine is when you have been exposed to others and are not positive.

Quarantine and Isolation | Quarantine | CDC

HTH!

Correction: 10 days of isolation (due to infection) not exposure (which would be quarantine).

I think most of us do know the difference, just sometimes use the wrong terminology.

Retracing Trump’s steps: A whirlwind week and a disdain for wearing masks ended with COVID-19 diagnosis

A big-money fundraiser that was held last month in Lake Forest has gotten the attention of the Lake County Health Department as Republican National Committee Chairwoman, Ronna McDaniel, later tested positive for COVID-19 after a Lake County GOP fundraiser held Sept. 18 at a sprawling Lake Forest estate.

After attending the Sept. 18 event in Lake Forest, McDaniel met with President Donald Trump on Sept. 25.

McDaniel tested positive for COVID-19 five days later. President Trump announced his positive results on Oct. 2.

RSBM

If we do contact tracing properly, it would be important to consider this event as a possibility for how the President was exposed to COVID. Hopefully everyone at this event has been tested and asked to quarantine.

They may have been infected, but doing the exposure/dates of symptoms, that at this time doesn't' appear so with the link of the infections from the WH circle that others have posted here and has been updated daily? Dunno?. MOO

Thank you so much for pointing this out what may be clear to so many.

That IF testing and tracing has been occurring for the President, there would be a trace back ... possibly testing/tracing for the top leader of our country either didn't happen, or there are MAJOR gaps to be filled or..?? That our president cannot be protected from a bioagent from a foreign country is astounding not to have in place (not saying this is what happened, just that the tracing/documentation should be in place MOO)

Yet how to determine if testing and tracing was not done. Last I heard was President stance was he was tested "regularly" yet not one iota of a leak has come out of when his last one was for that was either a rapid test, or a PCR up into his sinuses. MOO

And would be so difficult as he didn't wear a mask. And to this day, doesn't appear that he does even under isolation conditions which are outlined by the US health folks. MOO

It reminds me of the stance analogy during the HIV epidemic.. it doesn't matter if you sleep with just one person.. it's all the folks that that person has had unprotected interaction with.

Innovative wedding in UK by couple at drive-in theater. They had originally cancelled their spring 2020 wedding plans due to the pandemic, and had moved it to a new date in October.
Faced with a similar situation, they had to get creative with their plans and find a way to include their 700 invited guests.

Couple marries at drive-in wedding to avoid 15-person coronavirus limit

Help isn’t on the way: Regulators reject request for moratorium on utility cutoffs

Data submitted to the PSC by Florida Power & Light showed that 94,130 residential customers were 90 or more days past due in August, compared to 6,295 in August 2019. And 60,752 customers were past due by 60 days to 89 days in August, compared to 27,936 in August 2019.

Combined, those customers were more than $50 million behind in August, compared to $4.2 million the previous year.

The suspension would have coincided with a national moratorium on evictions and foreclosures announced on Sept. 4 by the CDC, an order that expires Dec. 31. Similar to the CDC moratorium, applicants would have been required to submit a sworn document attesting that their inability to pay their power bill was a result of COVID-19-related financial hardship.

In justifying the eviction moratorium, the CDC argued that allowing people to remain in their homes is critical to keeping COVID-positive patients isolated and socially distanced.

What’s next remains to be seen. Gov. Ron DeSantis could impose a moratorium by executive order, but lately he’s been removing assistance, such as the evictions moratorium he ordered from April 2 to Sept. 30, and restrictions like restaurant occupancy caps.

Next year is going to be a flipping nightmare. And we still can't get a new stimulus. At this point it wouldn't be enough to help most families catch up for even a relativity short period of time.

If those people get their power cut off they won't be able to get it back on without paying all the owed money plus reconnect fees of extra hundreds of dollars etc. Things spiral out of control for the poor. If you can't make enough to begin with how do they make all the extra to catch up? A huge percentage of our population lives paycheck to paycheck.

I'm predicting a ton of homeless people. :( We really are just kicking the can down the road right now. But I think doing nothing will end up worse. The giant companies that work on getting meals out with food banks are saying that we are going to be facing serious shortages over the coming months. Drastically increased need and less funding and donations.

Just imagine nearly 100,000 homes in FL having their power shut off!

edit: This actually means more like 150,000 are at risk of having their power cut off doesn't it? " 94,130 residential customers were 90 or more days past due in August, compared to 6,295 in August 2019. And 60,752 customers were past due by 60 days to 89 days in August, "

Was she tested by her employer or the county health department? If she is that sick, and works in LTC, she should get another test. She can schedule one for free at Walgreens.com/coronavirus for a drive up test.
Thanks @mickey2942 --she was tested by her employer and her Dr. said they prob did not do it accurately (it was not a n-ph (Deep in the nasal cavities) swab. BUT he would not retest her since she'd just been tested! Neither will health dept. Not sure about Walgreen's I'll ask her. Now they're telling her to isolate 10 days and act as if she has COVID. I hate this !! I went through it too, I know tests can be false /false neg but it sure seems like her symptoms are dead ringer for either COVID or flu but both show negs??!!

Will her doc ( or health dept) retest her in a few days? Imo I’d assume covid positive and quarantine
Anecdotal no link - we had a medical staff member at work who was very ill and tested negative three times. Before getting a positive

Also I’ve heard “worst headache ever” from a few other people at work who tested positive.

Thanks @mickey2942 --she was tested by her employer and her Dr. said they prob did not do it accurately (it was not a n-ph (Deep in the nasal cavities) swab. BUT he would not retest her since she'd just been tested! Neither will health dept. Not sure about Walgreen's I'll ask her. Now they're telling her to isolate 10 days and act as if she has COVID. I hate this !! I went through it too, I know tests can be false ***/false neg but it sure seems like her symptoms are dead ringer for either COVID or flu but both show negs??!!

Next year is going to be a flipping nightmare. And we still can't get a new stimulus. At this point it wouldn't be enough to help most families catch up for even a relativity short period of time.

If those people get their power cut off they won't be able to get it back on without paying all the owed money plus reconnect fees of extra hundreds of dollars etc. Things spiral out of control for the poor. If you can't make enough to begin with how do they make all the extra to catch up? A huge percentage of our population lives paycheck to paycheck.

I'm predicting a ton of homeless people. :( We really are just kicking the can down the road right now. But I think doing nothing will end up worse. The giant companies that work on getting meals out with food banks are saying that we are going to be facing serious shortages over the coming months. Drastically increased need and less funding and donations.

edit: This actually means more like 150,000 are at risk of having their power cut off doesn't it? " 94,130 residential customers were 90 or more days past due in August, compared to 6,295 in August 2019. And 60,752 customers were past due by 60 days to 89 days in August, "
@beatrixpotter , I have been thinking a lot about this ... I work with the Salvation Army in our area and we help a lot with utility cut-offs, homelessness, etc. I don't have a solution. I know the companies/landlords need their money, too, so there seems no good answer :( Hoping churches and charities can fill in some of the gaps.

Will her doc ( or health dept) retest her in a few days? Imo I’d assume covid positive and quarantine
Anecdotal no link - we had a medical staff member at work who was very ill and tested negative three times. Before getting a positive

Also I’ve heard “worst headache ever” from a few other people at work who tested positive.

Yea, I really think she has it @weepingangel . A little early here for the flu and the horrible headache makes me lean more toward COVID. Interesting about your co-worker!! I had 2 neg tests and had neg antibody test, so I finally assumed I did not have it back in May. I was not nearly as sick as my sister is though, and there's the fact that she is working in a closed LTC unit with COVID + cases.

@beatrixpotter , I have been thinking a lot about this ... I work with the Salvation Army in our area and we help a lot with utility cut-offs, homelessness, etc. I don't have a solution. I know the companies/landlords need their money, too, so there seems no good answer :( Hoping churches and charities can fill in some of the gaps.

Yes, I'm very sympathetic to landlords especially who need rent paid so they can pay the mortgage. A little less so with the utilities since they are not just charging actual expenses. But really it IS a vicious circle for everyone. The utilities have employees too. I wonder how well churches and charities can fill in. I wonder if churches are also receiving less donations than normal? I've not looked into it.

This is so much worse than 2008. My bil lost his job then and they ended up losing their home. I remember calling around trying to find help for my sister and bil and could find nothing. Just redirection to other places that couldn't offer more help. And we have drastically more need right now than at that time.

The unemployment rate is really not an accurate representation of the true number of people actually out of work or in need either and not reflecting all the people with drastically reduced hours or income who now no longer make enough to pay bills. It seems it definitely under represents the true state of things.

Explainer: Why 14.7% unemployment rate doesn't capture the true state of the coronavirus economy

Thanks @mickey2942 --she was tested by her employer and her Dr. said they prob did not do it accurately (it was not a n-ph (Deep in the nasal cavities) swab. BUT he would not retest her since she'd just been tested! Neither will health dept. Not sure about Walgreen's I'll ask her. Now they're telling her to isolate 10 days and act as if she has COVID. I hate this !! I went through it too, I know tests can be false ***/false neg but it sure seems like her symptoms are dead ringer for either COVID or flu but both show negs??!!

I knew it was the employer. Schedule an appointment online with Walgreens. Or ask her provider to put in an order for a test. They cannot deny a patient request for a Covid test, especially one with symptoms.

And, I would like to point out, this is how people are usually treated. (Negative test, which was probably done very quickly by employer, because LTC would have to report this to health dept.)

So, people are told to go home. No meds are prescribed, no treatment. And if she gets worse, hmm, oh well, too bad.

Not the same boat as other people, at all. Not even in a leaky life raft. Heck, they didn't even give your sister a ring. She can just tread water. The disparity is beyond shocking.

Last edited:

It's not just Florida. I received an email a few weeks ago from our electric company warning customers that if there is a late notice on the account, that they will be sending shut off notices starting October 15th.

Here are just some articles in other states:

Coronavirus Latest: Utility Shutoff Notices Resume In Maryland

Southern Nevada utilities resume late fees, collections; how to prevent shutoff

It's not just Florida. I received an email a few weeks ago from our electric company warning customers that if there is a late notice on the account, that they will be sending shut off notices starting October 15th.

Here are just some articles in other states:

Coronavirus Latest: Utility Shutoff Notices Resume In Maryland

Southern Nevada utilities resume late fees, collections; how to prevent shutoff

That is especially scary in northern states. This could be millions and millions of homes across the country. :( I worry about people who could literally freeze to death without heat. I live where our house is well insulated and while we'd be cold but most of the year there is no risk of actual harm from the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth