Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid-19 testing: Here's why you can be contagious but still test negative - CNN

Crazy. The information about this virus just keeps moving the goal posts.

Yes, I'm glad this is hitting MSM... so many do not know as we have here known for so many months at WS. I had said earlier that MSM was 2 months behind... it appears they are more behind here at this time?

That is sad that MSM is educating just now as I had thought was well known.

"For people who get sick with Covid-19, symptoms can take up to two weeks to appear, but the average time is about five days, Walensky said.

"It's generally thought that you're most infectious the two days before that day and the two days after that," she said."

Last edited:
Genocide:

noun

1. the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that wet nation or group
    "a campaign of genocide"
Do you see the spread of Covid and the resultant deaths as deliberate killing to destroy a nation?

IMO the answer is no and the motive is very selfish. I can’t answer regarding deliberation. I wasn’t there.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm glad this is hitting MSM... so many do not know as we have here known for so many months at WS. I had said earlier that MSM was 2 months behind... it appears they are more behind here at this time?

That is sad that MSM is educating just now as I had thought was well known.

"For people who get sick with Covid-19, symptoms can take up to two weeks to appear, but the average time is about five days, Walensky said.

"It's generally thought that you're most infectious the two days before that day and the two days after that," she said."

Right. That is why a "negative" test is pretty meaningless. It is a "snapshot" of that moment in time. Which is why I always thought that the WH reliance on "negative" tests was sort of ludicrous. Just saying.

Question for @margarita25 @10ofRods @SouthAussie @JerseyGirl and others.

I just went to get a shingles vaccine. They recived my prescription for such 2 weeks ago. Anywhooooooooooooooo, when I went this am to CVS, they said that they didn't have any. That they lost electricity in a storm more than 2 hours so they had to throw it all out and didn't know when would receive a resupply.

Sooooooooooooooo... my question for all here...

There are 2 candidates for the frontrunners for vaccines in the US (and other places?). IIRC, one had to be kept on dry ice (e.g. FROZEN!!).

Does anyone have at their fingertips which COVID vaccine candidates are room temperature stable, vs. requiring refrigeration, vs. FROZEN in dry ice/freezer temps?

IIRC this was an issue, we discussed months back, but I cannot recall which ones require which and thought someone else here might recall as I cannot find the answer with our friend Google.

TIA.

ETA: Didn't think to ask if their flu vaccines were shelf stable... Hmmm. I just assumed they were. I'm going to call and ask right now and do an ETA for learning.

ETA #2: I called back to the CVS---->> The flu vaccines also were thrown out! So I guess most all vaccines??????? have to be at least refrigerated???? Again, IIRC one had to be frozen that is in the studies... but can't recall which.

Last edited:
YAY for WA...though we are opening to other states in 2 weeks...just not nsw and vic...but I imagine a NZ situation will arise...but I have no fear, any sniff of community transmission and Mark McGowan will have our borders closed tighter than a nuns you know what!! Just nope!

I am fearful of what’s going to happen to our little bubble, and we don’t really need to open (only state with a budget surplus this year...) but it’s not realistic...I’m just a happy little hermit ha ha

Yes, I don't think anyone is too bothered about WA keeping the borders closed. Except Clive Palmer and the FIFO mining crews. The WA Premier has been tough and very good for WA. There is a tough quarantine system there. You will be fine.

We were concerned when our borders opened, but the officials have been handling it really well.
It has helped that Victorians have been kept in their state by their own Premier. And now they are doing well, too. :)

I just went to get a shingles vaccine. They recived my prescription for such 2 weeks ago. Anywhooooooooooooooo, when I went this am to CVS, they said that they didn't have any. That they lost electricity in a storm more than 2 hours so they had to throw it all out and didn't know when would receive a resupply.

There are 2 candidates for the frontrunners for vaccines in the US (and other places?). IIRC, one had to be kept on dry ice (e.g. FROZEN!!).

Does anyone have at their fingertips which COVID vaccine candidates are room temperature stable, vs. requiring refrigeration, vs. FROZEN in dry ice/freezer temps?

IIRC this was an issue, we discussed months back, but I cannot recall which ones require which and thought someone else here might recall as I cannot find the answer with our friend Google.

TIA.

ETA: Didn't think to ask if their flu vaccines were shelf stable... Hmmm. I just assumed they were. I'm going to call and ask right now and do an ETA for learning.

ETA #2: I called back to the CVS---->> The flu vaccines also were thrown out! So I guess most all vaccines??????? have to be at least refrigerated???? Again, IIRC one had to be frozen that is in the studies... but can't recall which.

Wow - what a saga. I too went to get the shingles vaccine (3X now), I wonder how much has been thrown out??

I don't know all the vaccine candidates off the top of my head, but I believe the Oxford/Astrazeneca one must be kept at subzero temperatures at all times. That's the one that the US has already purchased. Now there's a big run on deep freezers (especially for warehouses/transport centers).

I'm not optimistic about that particular vaccine being widely available, given its issues. I need to look up the other vaccines and will try to track the information.

I think most vaccines do have to be refrigerated...

Because the pandemic is surging just about everywhere in the country, hospitals nationwide are competing for the same pool of nurses, offering pay ranging from $1,500 a week to more than $5,000
Administrators are scrambling to find enough nursing help

In Wisconsin, one hospital system is offering $15,000 signing bonuses to handle a surge in COVID-19 hospitalizations.
Hospitals competing for nurses as US coronavirus cases surge

As the coronavirus pandemic surges across the nation and infections and hospitalizations rise, medical administrators are scrambling to find enough nursing help — especially in rural areas and at small hospitals.
Hospitals are scaling back services to ensure enough staff to handle critically ill patients

Last edited:

TIA.

My gosh, it never occurred to me that a large pharmacy would not at least have small back-up generators to run the fridge.

<RSBM>

A pair of frontrunner mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines from Moderna (USA) and Pfizer (Germany) could run into supply logistics issues over the ultra-cold storage needs for both shots
Pfizer, Moderna's coronavirus shot rollouts could freeze up, experts say, citing cold-storage needs

Most vaccines need to be stored within 1 degree Fahrenheit of their ideal temperature. Traditional vaccines are usually stored between 35 degrees Fahrenheit and 46 degrees Fahrenheit, but some of the leading COVID-19 vaccines need to be stored at much colder temperatures. Moderna’s vaccine requires a storage temperature of minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas Pfizer’s vaccine candidate requires a storage temperature of minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit. These are not easy temperatures to maintain accurately.
Keeping coronavirus vaccines at subzero temperatures during distribution will be hard, but likely key to ending pandemic

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 1,516 new confirmed cases for a total of 133,229 of which 95,422 had recovered (+1,609). 22 more reported to have passed for a total of 1,755. 92 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 730 (+12 new daily record). There are 37,807 active positive cases. Here are the daily age groups: 0-17: 11,902 (+143); 18-40: 58,987 (+586); 41-60: 37,243 (+467); 61-80: 19,464 (+237) & 81+: 5,601 (+83). Nov. 3: Iowa reports 1,516 new COVID-19 cases, 22 more deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Reynolds provides $28M in CARES Act funds to hospitals, county healthdepartment
55 Iowa counties report high virus positivity rate

RSBM Moderna’s vaccine requires a storage temperature of minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas Pfizer’s vaccine candidate requires a storage temperature of minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit. These are not easy temperatures to maintain accurately. Keeping coronavirus vaccines at subzero temperatures during distribution will be hard, but likely key to ending pandemic

Whoa, yes, thanks. -94F is indeed dry ice temp! How the heck are those hundreds of millions of vaccine dosages going to be kept at such a temperature?

ETA: Wait a minute, is that dry ice or is that liquid nitrogen temp?

Last edited:
At what point is this seriously declared a genocide? <modsnip>Where are UNICEF when you need them? Don’t children have rights for gods sake...
Parents are responsible (or not responsible).

Yes, I don't think UNICEF thinks it will have to advocate for children in 1st world countries whose parents know what good hygiene is, have systems to make sure children are fed, have systems to deal with violence, have schools for all children to attend, have vaccination programs ..... and are able to protect their children from disease.

Established in 1946 in the aftermath of World War II, we now operate in more than 190 countries and territories. Our work aims to help all children — especially the most disadvantaged and marginalised— to lead safe, healthy lives and realise their full potential.
About the United Nations Children's Fund - UNICEF Australia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads