Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@nytimes
Lamar Jackson, the Baltimore Ravens quarterback and the NFL’s reigning Most Valuable Player, became the highest-profile player to test positive for the coronavirus. An outbreak has reportedly spread to more than than a dozen players on the team.
Lamar Jackson, Ravens Quarterback, Is Said to Test Positive for Coronavirus - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I don't follow football at all, but I did hear that Thanksgiving Day games were cancelled for the NFL at the last minute. Was this one of the teams that was to play yesterday?

I don't follow football at all, but I did hear that Thanksgiving Day games were cancelled for the NFL at the last minute. Was this one of the teams that was to play yesterday?

Yes 1 game was canceled Ravens v. Steelers
Also a Ravens coach was disciplined for not following mask protocol and not reporting symptoms.

America braces for Black Friday: Retailers pin their hopes on shopping bonanza | Daily Mail Online

The article is about people shopping on Black Friday-
I must be naive because I thought people would not be out shopping in droves this year, ya know, during a PANDEMIC--- These must be the same people who traveled by airplane to get to granny's house----bringing, cheer, sickness and death. The surge from all these joyous occasions is going to be overwhelming.

My step-daughter said to us yesterday ( while we Zoomed) that people have to get back to living normal life, and you know, if old people have to stay home, oh well.----

America braces for Black Friday: Retailers pin their hopes on shopping bonanza | Daily Mail Online

I must be naive because I thought people would not be out shopping in droves this year, ya know, during a PANDEMIC--- These must be the same people who traveled by airplane to get to granny's house----bringing, cheer, sickness and death. The surge from all these joyous occasions is going to be overwhelming.

My step-daughter said to us yesterday ( while we Zoomed) that people have to get back to living normal life, and you know, if old people have to stay home, oh well.---- and we we surely can't have lockdowns. I said well we don't necessarily have to have lockdowns if people wear masks and socially distance, at which point she said, well you know, there is lots of controversary that masks don't prevent the virus. I didn't feel like arguing with her. Sigh

We had a nice first family of four visit with my husband's Mom at her senior home. There is a limit of four and temperatures taken, fill out papers to sign to state we were aware there is Covid at the home. Mask and faceshield required. Really was good feeling since she was aware and kept thanking us for being there. My daughter had set up a small bright blinking Christmas tree for her so we dimmed the lights and played soundscapes TV, she slept off and on. We left so her other son could visit her during her supper. I am waiting for a visit on Saturday. I didn't like seeing some staff with masks pulled down and one noticed we saw her so she quick pulled it on properly, nonsense behind everyone's back just causes trouble later!

The hypocrisy is epic. No wonder this country is such a disaster. The leaders are not even providing leadership. And where is Pence? Wasn't he supposed to be in charge of the Covid response? Has he just bailed?
What could Pence possibly say that hasn’t already been said that anyone would listen to anyway? By now, we’ve all heard from multiple sources that we should be wearing a mask, washing our hands, staying six feet apart, and avoiding unnecessary interactions with others. I sincerely doubt anyone on the right is going to suddenly change their mind about any of that just because Pence comes out to say the same stuff all over again. I doubt anyone from the left is going to listen to anything from this administration except to criticize how/what/when/whatever. So, really, what’s the point? Those who are going to modify their behavior have already done so, or will do so once covid strikes close enough to home to make them stop and think. MSM is going to criticize Pence regardless (whether deserved or not isn’t the point really).

Bottom line is it’s been all over the news that we really shouldn’t be traveling right now, that our hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, etc etc etc. It’s not a secret. People aren’t listening. They aren’t going to listen to Pence either. It’s a train wreck, and I think that’s in large part due to the nature of many of the American people. They would rather risk death than be told what to do.

Edited to add: Throw in the seemingly common theme of “leaders” doing things like attending large indoor restaurant gatherings for birthdays (governor of California of all people with his unreal rules for covid), this guy in Colorado traveling by air to visit out of state family for thanksgiving, and are we REALLY shocked that Americans in general are also doing the same things? Come on. If the supposed leaders telling folks to avoid travel are quite literally doing so AS THEY BOARD A PLANE TO TRAVEL, what do we expect?

Last edited:
What could Pence possibly say that hasn’t already been said that anyone would listen to anyway? By now, we’ve all heard from multiple sources that we should be wearing a mask, washing our hands, staying six feet apart, and avoiding unnecessary interactions with others. I sincerely doubt anyone on the right is going to suddenly change their mind about any of that just because Pence comes out to say the same stuff all over again. I doubt anyone from the left is going to listen to anything from this administration except to criticize how/what/when/whatever. So, really, what’s the point? Those who are going to modify their behavior have already done so, or will do so once covid strikes close enough to home to make them stop and think. MSM is going to criticize Pence regardless (whether deserved or not isn’t the point really).

Bottom line is it’s been all over the news that we really shouldn’t be traveling right now, that our hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, etc etc etc. It’s not a secret. People aren’t listening. They aren’t going to listen to Pence either. It’s a train wreck, and I think that’s in large part due to the nature of many of the American people. They would rather risk death than be told what to do.

Edited to add: Throw in the seemingly common theme of “leaders” doing things like attending large indoor restaurant gatherings for birthdays (governor of California of all people with his unreal rules for covid), this guy in Colorado traveling by air to visit out of state family for thanksgiving, and are we REALLY shocked that Americans in general are also doing the same things? Come on. If the supposed leaders telling folks to avoid travel are quite literally doing so AS THEY BOARD A PLANE TO TRAVEL, what do we expect?

I find I have to respectfully disagree- Right from the beginning of pandemic the president basically denied the virus was a big deal: he even said it was only 15 people and it would go away- it would disappear: he also pooh-poohed the use of masks, making it a political statement (he actually said at one point if someone wears a mask it must mean that person does not like him): when there is a national crisis, a national response is necessary: Proper and consistent messaging can shape the way a person interprets the crisis and if they are advised what to do, many will do that. That was not done in this case. There will always be contrarians- they won't listen to anybody about anything. But most people will try to do the right thing--- The horse has long left the barn with respect to the use of masks, traveling etc. This crisis did not have to be this way. The rest of the world is looking at America with shock and pity.

I find I have to respectfully disagree- Right from the beginning of pandemic the president basically denied the virus was a big deal: he even said it was only 15 people and it would go away- it would disappear: he also pooh-poohed the use of masks, making it a political statement (he actually said at one point if someone wears a mask it must mean that person does not like him): when there is a national crisis, a national response is necessary: Proper and consistent messaging can shape the way a person interprets the crisis and if they are advised what to do, many will do that. That was not done in this case. There will always be contrarians- they won't listen to anybody about anything. But most people will try to do the right thing--- The horse has long left the barn with respect to the use of masks, traveling etc. This crisis did not have to be this way. The rest of the world is looking at America with shock and pity.

Obviously nobody can go back and change the past. I was speaking to who would actually listen to Pence TODAY, after all that’s happened, however one views the past. My comments were just about how I believe people from both sides would view anything Pence said NOW, based on all that’s transpired up til now. IMO, there’s nothing he can say *at this point* that many haven’t already said (wash your hands, don’t travel if it’s not essential, wear a mask, etc), and if he did get out there and repeat the same stuff, the folks not listening aren’t suddenly going to listen and the folks who have criticized him (right or wrong, not the point) will continue to criticize whatever he says (it’s about time, where has he been, he should’ve said this months ago, etc). There’s just no point other than window dressing I guess. It’s not going to change what’s happening for a multitude of reasons.

Edited to add: As you so aptly put it, the horse has long since left the barn on this. So what’s the point in all of the “OMG, where is Pence???” other than to continue to criticize what can’t be changed at this point? I admit, I can understand why he wouldn’t want to waste his time. It seems hopeless that we will change anyone’s perspective of this crisis. He’s on his way out. Let’s let someone else fix it. Biden’s messaging has been calm and measured, not that his approach seems to help either, as evidenced by people continuing to do whatever they want to do, regardless of consequences. But then I go back to the leaders preaching restrictions, then doing the opposite. So I honestly think we’re screwed no matter what.

Last edited:

My step-daughter said to us yesterday ( while we Zoomed) that people have to get back to living normal life, and you know, if old people have to stay home, oh well.----
She said that to you while on a zoom call!?!

I don’t think people will believe until it hits their household and if it’s mild - see it’s “just a little flu” and further fortify their beliefs.

Or until they trip over dead people laying in the street.

Maybe we should start putting a mannequin in the street every time someone dies from Covid for those that need a visual.

She said that to you while on a zoom call!?!

I don’t think people will believe until it hits their household and if it’s mild - see it’s “just a little flu” and further fortify their beliefs.

Or until they trip over dead people laying in the street.

Maybe we should start putting a mannequin in the street every time someone dies from Covid for those that need a visual.
This is an unseen war without bullets and blood so some will not admit the reality of what is going on.

Obviously nobody can go back and change the past. I was speaking to who would actually listen to Pence TODAY, after all that’s happened, however one views the past. My comments were just about how I believe people from both sides would view anything Pence said NOW, based on all that’s transpired up til now. IMO, there’s nothing he can say *at this point* that many haven’t already said (wash your hands, don’t travel if it’s not essential, wear a mask, etc), and if he did get out there and repeat the same stuff, the folks not listening aren’t suddenly going to listen and the folks who have criticized him (right or wrong, not the point) will continue to criticize whatever he says (it’s about time, where has he been, he should’ve said this months ago, etc). There’s just no point other than window dressing I guess. It’s not going to change what’s happening for a multitude of reasons.

Edited to add: As you so aptly put it, the horse has long since left the barn on this. So what’s the point in all of the “OMG, where is Pence???” other than to continue to criticize what can’t be changed at this point? I admit, I can understand why he wouldn’t want to waste his time. It seems hopeless that we will change anyone’s perspective of this crisis. He’s on his way out. Let’s let someone else fix it. Biden’s messaging has been calm and measured, not that his approach seems to help either, as evidenced by people continuing to do whatever they want to do, regardless of consequences. But then I go back to the leaders preaching restrictions, then doing the opposite. So I honestly think we’re screwed no matter what.

There ar many Royals....such as those from Sweden who did not follow mask wearing, wanted things to look normal...now 2 of the royal family have it. The family went to a funeral.....King, Queen, plus the adult children and spouses. It’s not just US that has an issue it is world wide from leaders down to business and shop owners to everyday citizens who laugh at the Virus, don’t want to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask(but have to wear shoes and shirt in stores), some who just want to be a rebel and cause problems. So this virus will be around for awhile because of people who will not follow a few simple rules. I does not have to be this way. People need to come together, follow a few simple rules that do not have to be forever!

There ar many Royals....such as those from Sweden who did not follow mask wearing, wanted things to look normal...now 2 of the royal family have it. The family went to a funeral.....King, Queen, plus the adult children and spouses. It’s not just US that has an issue it is world wide from leaders down to business and shop owners to everyday citizens who laugh at the Virus, don’t want to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask(but have to wear shoes and shirt in stores), some who just want to be a rebel and cause problems. So this virus will be around for awhile because of people who will not follow a few simple rules. I does not have to be this way. People need to come together, follow a few simple rules that do not have to be forever!
Thanks for pointing this out. Sometimes, depending on what you read, it would seem as if the US is the *only* country that can’t seem to get it together with this virus. All of the “omg, the world is looking at us in horror” makes it seem (to me, anyway) that we are the only ones struggling with non-compliance or mixed messaging. And we aren’t. It’s good to be reminded of this.

Traditionally the start of a time of shopping and giving, the final days of November have seen record highs in the worsening pandemic -- surpassing previous surges and showing no signs of slowing down.
The US on Thursday marked the 24th day in a row with more than 100,000 new cases. Hospitalizations hit a new high -- for the 17th consecutive day -- with now more than 90,400 Covid-19 patients nationwide, according to the COVID Tracking Project.

US Coronavirus: Nearly 60,000 Americans could die of Covid-19 in the next 3 weeks. There are ways to turn things around, experts say - CNN

@nightowl1975 : “So what’s the point in all of the “OMG, where is Pence??”

Seriously??!!

Wow on all this Pence discussion. It’s amazing to me how we are in an unprecedented crisis, hospitals beyond overwhelmed on the brink of collapse, jobs gone, thousands of people severely sick and dying, people starving and lining up for miles for food, our entire lives uprooted, and there are comments justifying the absence of the “Leader of the Coronavirus Task Force” and top leader of the United States during this critical time!?? Not to mention they have been absent for months and exacerbated/contributed to this situation!

We are only in November. Jan. 20 is not here yet. There is a lot that one in this position could be and should have been doing. I could write a BOOK!

eta: FTR, and golfing isn’t one of them!

Last edited:
CAN YOU GUESS WHO ARE THE REAL PEOPLE IN THIS PHOTO?

201124155451-grandparents-coronavirus-holiday-cutout-trnd-exlarge-169.jpg

Quinton, Oliver and Clara Buchanan (l-r) have enjoyed posing for photos with the cutout of their grandparents.

(CNN) A Texas couple came up with a clever and safe way to be with their grandchildren over the holidays after canceling their traditional, in-person celebrations because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Buchanan said big family gatherings don't feel safe this year, so she and her husband decided to stay home.

Missy and Barry Buchanan sent life-sized cardboard cutouts of themselves to their daughter in California and their son, who also lives in Texas.

"I just remember thinking, 'you know, I want to do something that'll be funny and unexpected,'" Missy Buchanan told CNN.

Their daughter said they haven't been able to see their grandson Noah since Christmas and her other grandchildren have only been able to make an outdoor porch visit because of the pandemic.

"We weren't really expecting anything that crazy," Mindy Whittington said. "We opened it up together and we just could not stop laughing." :D

She said Noah talks to the cutout, and likes to have it in his room at night when he's ready to go to sleep. :)

"We can still have fun. It's just going to be a different kind of fun. And knowing that it's not going to last forever, and we all will be back together again, hopefully soon." Missy Buchanan said.

Texas couple sends life-sized cardboard cutouts to their grandkids after coronavirus canceled their holiday plans - CNN

I love this! What a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member