Identified! CT - East Haven, Frontage Rd behind former Bradlees store, WhtFem 18-28, UP10796, Wrapped in Paint-Spotted Tarp, Aug'75 - Patricia Meleady Newsome

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
After failing the first time, authorities have successfully located the burial site of a nearly half-century-old homicide victim and have exhumed her body in hopes of identifying her.
East Haven police began searching for the body of “Jane Doe” at the State Street Cemetery in Hamden earlier last month. When they exhumed what they believed to be her body, it turned out they had found someone else’s remains.

“She was someone’s loved one. She was someone’s daughter. Someone’s sister. Somebody deserves some sense of closure here,” Capt. Joseph Murgo of the East Haven Police Department told FOX61 News at the time.

Subsequent searches of the cemetery that included ground-penetrating radar (GPR) and metal detectors were successful in locating “Jane’s” remains.

Police said Friday they were able to collect viable DNA.
For decades, a composite sketch has been the only identity of the cold case murder victim, who was found on Aug. 16, 1975, bound, gagged, and floating in a draining ditch along Frontage Road. She was buried somewhere in the overgrown and abandoned cemetery, but the records are not well kept.

With the advancements in DNA evidence testing, East Haven detectives sought to identify her. The DNA results will be applied to genealogy databases across the world in hopes of identifying her.
Some of the graves at the cemetery day back to 1784.

On Friday, police said “Jane’s” death remains under investigation. They did not say how long it would take to get the DNA results back.

Officials with East Haven Police say the burial site of the unidentified victim was at the State Street Cemetery on 2125 State Street in Hamden.

Officers were able to exhume and inspect Jane Doe’s body before collecting viable DNA.

Police say this new development will help them extract, sequence, and apply DNA results to their databases across the globe, in hopes identifying the victim.

The victim was found bound, gagged, and floating in a drainage ditch in August of 1975 along Frontage Road, according to police.

“This new development will allow us to extract, sequence and apply DNA results to genealogy databases across the globe in hopes of identifying the unidentified homicide victim,” Murgo said. He said the victim was found bound, gagged and floating in a drainage ditch in August1975 along Frontage Road in East Haven.

Murgo had previously noted that her grave wasn’t marked, so it was a challenge to locate. He also has said several suspects have been eyed over the years, but to make more progress, police need to figure out who the victim was.

Officials with East Haven Police say the burial site of the unidentified victim was at the State Street Cemetery on 2125 State Street in Hamden.

Officers were able to exhume and inspect Jane Doe’s body before collecting viable DNA.

Police say this new development will help them extract, sequence, and apply DNA results to their databases across the globe, in hopes identifying the victim.

The victim was found bound, gagged, and floating in a drainage ditch in August of 1975 along Frontage Road, according to police.

“This new development will allow us to extract, sequence and apply DNA results to genealogy databases across the globe in hopes of identifying the unidentified homicide victim,” Murgo said. He said the victim was found bound, gagged and floating in a drainage ditch in August1975 along Frontage Road in East Haven.

Murgo had previously noted that her grave wasn’t marked, so it was a challenge to locate. He also has said several suspects have been eyed over the years, but to make more progress, police need to figure out who the victim was.
Good thing they found her body I was worried it might have been lost for good

I'm sure eventually they will find her name, although they may have to turn to genetic genealogy. The fact they finally found her body and are going to get viable DNA is great. This cemetery is abandoned except for volunteers. I read somewhere online that the last guy who did any maintenance was burying people there up to the early 2010s without any official authorization while keeping bad or at least not very good records..he got away with it apparently having had a relative who was the last official member of the cemetery association or something. He later left the state and was also associated with another local older cemetery in a similar situation. But anyway, I'm glad they finally found her. It's interesting they may have a possible suspect. Of course, someone else could have done it and maybe no longer living.

After failing the first time, authorities have successfully located the burial site of a nearly half-century-old homicide victim and have exhumed her body in hopes of identifying her.
East Haven police began searching for the body of “Jane Doe” at the State Street Cemetery in Hamden earlier last month. When they exhumed what they believed to be her body, it turned out they had found someone else’s remains.

“She was someone’s loved one. She was someone’s daughter. Someone’s sister. Somebody deserves some sense of closure here,” Capt. Joseph Murgo of the East Haven Police Department told FOX61 News at the time.

Subsequent searches of the cemetery that included ground-penetrating radar (GPR) and metal detectors were successful in locating “Jane’s” remains.

Police said Friday they were able to collect viable DNA.
For decades, a composite sketch has been the only identity of the cold case murder victim, who was found on Aug. 16, 1975, bound, gagged, and floating in a draining ditch along Frontage Road. She was buried somewhere in the overgrown and abandoned cemetery, but the records are not well kept.

With the advancements in DNA evidence testing, East Haven detectives sought to identify her. The DNA results will be applied to genealogy databases across the world in hopes of identifying her.
Some of the graves at the cemetery day back to 1784.

On Friday, police said “Jane’s” death remains under investigation. They did not say how long it would take to get the DNA results back.

Great news!

Some things from the podcast:
* It's vague when exactly Patricia went missing, Namus says 1974 but it could be somewhere between 1971 - 1975.
* Because of that, the age range on the time she went missing is not definite, she is born on June 20, 1957 in Idaho.
* She could have gone missing from a boarding school in either NY, Maine or Vermont (family was living in NJ at the time, IMO a boarding school in NJ shouldn't be excluded)
* (from upthread; it was a "regular" boarding school in the North East)
* Dad was in the navy, mother was a registered nurse.
* The family moved (back) to Philadelphia. PA and lived there from the mid to late 60's.
* Patricia went to a catholic school, likely St. Raymond's in Philadelphia.
* Patricia's mother died in 1968 in Philadelphia and is buried in Pennsylvania.
* Dad remarried in 1970, in 1971 Patricia's half brother is born.
* The family moves to Morganville, NJ and live on the Harbor road. Patricia was around 14-15 at the time.
* From around that time all communication with the family on mother's side ends.
* Patricia didn't get along with her stepmother and was send to a boarding school, estimated around 1974, but it could be somewhere between 1971 - 1975.
* After she went missing, supposedly a runaway, the sister was not allowed to talk about Patricia. The subject was closed.
* Patricia's eyes are hazel/greenish.
* Patricia's social security number was not used after the time she approx. went missing.
* Sister and other family members see a strong resemblance between Patricia and JD "Lady of the Dunes", especially her recon from 2010, made by NCMEC.
* They gave DNA and comparing the two is still in "the pipeline".
I’m going to say the chances of her being Lady of the Dunes is fairly unlikely. Lady of the Dunes is believed to have been around the ages of 20-49.
Patricia is definitely younger than that. Approximately 16/17 in 1974.

A new timeline documenting Patricia's life and disappearance has been posted to her Facebook page.

Here's a link to the Google doc: Timeline of Patricia Meleady “Trisha” Newsom

Patricia is confirmed to have disappeared sometime in or after May 1973 from an unknown boarding school in Sullivan County, New York. She ran away with another girl to Maine and was never seen or heard from again.
There don't seem to be any boarding schools in Monticello or Sullivan County right now. I have not had much luck finding any that may have been there in the 1970s. Maybe someone local has some recollection of one.

I’m going to say the chances of her being Lady of the Dunes is fairly unlikely. Lady of the Dunes is believed to have been around the ages of 20-49.
Patricia is definitely younger than that. Approximately 16/17 in 1974.
It's just an age estimate. For example, Dawn Plonsky Wilkerson was 10 years older than the highest age estimate for her (35). Patricia was 17 in 1974 which only puts her 3 years younger than the lowest suggested age for LOTD.

@druidsmoon22 do you know if Patricia had crowns on her teeth?

I have been running into more walls. my step mother oddly can’t remember for sure where Patricia went to boarding school or the name. She said she thinks she went to a school in NY somewhere near Monticello. Then left there because she made a friend who had a family in Maine. But my oldest brother recalls sending her a letter and he thinks it was Vermont. Oh. I’m Patricia’s sister.

Montpelier is the capital of Vermont. Pretty close in name to Monticello.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current NamUs exclusion list for this Jane doe?

5 Missing Person Exclusions

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP3259Sheryl Tillinghast
Date of Last ContactSeptember 24, 1973
StateNY
CountyDutchess

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP26809Rory Kesinger
Date of Last ContactMay 27, 1973
StateMA
CountyPlymouth

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP14223Teresa Davis
Date of Last ContactNovember 01, 1973
StateWA
CountyPierce

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5533Denise Sheehy
Date of Last ContactJuly 07, 1970
StateNY
CountyQueens

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5426Deborah Spickler
Date of Last ContactJuly 24, 1968
StateCT
CountyTolland

Was this UID previously looked at? Class ring (no stone). Engraved, first initial looks like P, last initial is N. I cannot make out the middle initial.

Found 5/30/74 Stonington CT.

Recon does not resemble Patricia much but her hair and appearance could have changed since she was away.

Circumstances of Recovery
Found in a wooded area wrappped in a blanket Had been known to have been driving around in a 1964 Green Oldsmobile with either MA or ME plates Vehicle was found dumped in Hartford with a ME inspection sticker

1667237909245.jpeg

1667238052399.jpeg1667238232035.png

Was this UID previously looked at? Class ring (no stone). Engraved, first initial looks like P, last initial is N. I cannot make out the middle initial.

Found 5/30/74 Stonington CT.

Recon does not resemble Patricia much but her hair and appearance could have changed since she was away.

Circumstances of Recovery
Found in a wooded area wrappped in a blanket Had been known to have been driving around in a 1964 Green Oldsmobile with either MA or ME plates Vehicle was found dumped in Hartford with a ME inspection sticker

View attachment 376996

View attachment 376997View attachment 376998
I'm not sure. Jane Doe was 5'2 and she was a complete skeleton. Newsom was between 5'5-5'9 and had a different ring that said "Cecilian Academy 1952" with a blue stone. In addition, Jane Doe was probably murdered around Christmas 1970.

Monmouth Jane Doe was 5'0"-5'4" and weighed 100-120 pounds
Patricia weighed 130=160 pounds and was 5'5"-5'9"

Jane Doe was 15-20 years old
Patricia was 16 when she vanished

Jane Doe is estimated to have been dead for up to 15 years
Patricia vanished in 1973, 15 years before Jane Doe was found, and her Social Security number has shown no activity since that year

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back