Silver Alert CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No wonder murder charges have not been filed. Look at all the info that has to be tied together PERFECTLY so it all gets admitted into evidence.
I’m not a lawyer, but I’m seeing it this way (LE delay in bringing murder charges): There must be loads of tips to thoroughly investigate. Once charges are brought, NCPD and Hartford PD municipalities no longer have jurisdiction—the state does. The defense can ask the prosecutor to produce exculpatory evidence to them. If some of those tips weren’t thoroughly vetted, they cd become fodder for ee for defense. Then CT doesn’t have an investigatory Grand Jury, and the State’s Attorney doesn’t have subpoena power, so it’s up to the PDs to do a thorough investigation. If something incriminatory is found after the defendant is indicted (or after trial?) the doctrine of double jeopardy protects him/her from being charged with murder again. If this isn’t the way it works, feel free to correct me. I’d also like to know if the FBI is investigating?

Yes, this is a typical tactic and if Weinstein has the time or inclination he could go down this path and haul them all in. I do think the trade liens present (80MS and Sturbridge) are quite interesting and I also wonder if these weren't all prearranged with the parties in advance to put them and their claims in front of GF? FD doesn't have a history of many trade liens so the idea that they suddenly appear simply seems too coincidental. Ditto on the FD Friend Loans which are present in front of GF claims on Sturbridge. Atty Weinstein is all over the Friend Loans but with the games being played by Atty Markowitz I'm not sure they will ever be unravelled unless the Judge demands discovery compliance which doesn't appear to have happened thus far IMO.

Ah-we never heard anything about the documents Markowitz was required to produce weeks ago, did we? Does that mean he did comply, or that he did not? None of these judges seem capable of demanding compliance from these attorneys, because all of the attorneys know that the judged are afraid to bring on the consequences. I really wish one of them would cowboy up and let it rip. Then we might see who runs the courtroom-because right now, it looks like Pattis, Markowitz, and Murray do.

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m seeing it this way (LE delay in bringing murder charges): There must be loads of tips to thoroughly investigate. Once charges are brought, NCPD and Hartford PD municipalities no longer have jurisdiction—the state does. The defense can ask the prosecutor to produce exculpatory evidence to them. If some of those tips weren’t thoroughly vetted, they cd become fodder for ee for defense. Then CT doesn’t have an investigatory Grand Jury, and the State’s Attorney doesn’t have subpoena power, so it’s up to the PDs to do a thorough investigation. If something incriminatory is found after the defendant is indicted (or after trial?) the doctrine of double jeopardy protects him/her from being charged with murder again. If this isn’t the way it works, feel free to correct me. I’d also like to know if the FBI is investigating?
I don't believe the FBI is investigating other than providing assistance in the testing, forensic part.
I also don't believe Farmington PD or NCPD is
actively investigating the case other than providing manpower for the searches within their municipalities.
Ct. State Police is running the show here.
I'm getting a little concerned here with no
further movement toward an arrest for murder.
It's coming up on 6 months since JF disappeared and we not only don't have a body
or proof of disposal of a body but no one's been
charged with her murder.
Personally I believe there was much delay in
jumping on this case in the first couple days.
And that state police dragged their feet in the
investigation. Was it because of LE being intimidated by the obvious wealth factor and
LE didn't want to step on any toes?
I'm very disappointed there hasn't been any more charges placed on the 2 main suspects. Surely they're not that bright, or are they?
MOO

Regarding MTs whereabouts and role the morning of 5/24, of which we have heard nothing made public, but is a key piece of the puzzle (and perhaps still tripping up LE as well? Hard to know what they have in their back pockets).

AW2 states that on Tuesday 5/28 FD and MT were reviewing their “timeline” (now known as alibi script, which contains a list of incoming/outgoing calls and info) in the presence of EE. FD asked EE if EE had called him the morning of 5/24.
If MT was at 4JC “manning” the phone according to some plan, wouldn’t she have known or remembered If EE had called or not?
FD gave his actual phone to NCPD on 5/25 and clearly he neglected to check his missed call log on the phone before he handed it over.

Either, MT was instructed to make and take specific planned calls to specific people that morning while FD was in NC, and she was not to answer any other calls because that would reveal that FD was not there (and she somehow didn’t record or remember if EE had called in, surely FD had EEs # programmed into his phone) or, MT was not with the phone at 4JC that morning. In the latter, who then would have made the calls on the phone that morning?

Could FD have been so stupid to think that just by leaving his phone at 4JC it would absolve him? Could the “morning phone calls” just be part of the made-up alibi script and not exist at all? MT admits in AW2 that FDs phone was at 4JC that morning, but we don’t know anything beyond. We assume FD was savvy enough not to make an alibi script listing incoming and outgoing phone calls that could be disproven with a quick check off the phone records, especially since the alibi scripts were presumably made after FD handed over his phone to LE. One would think that Fd and MT would at least check the online phone records to make it consistent, but perhaps FD didn’t plan that deeply and thought by merely leaving his phone behind he could escape detection, and so there weren’t actually any incoming or outgoing calls. The only person we’ve heard about these calls from is the always truthful NP, progenitor of the polygraph myth, and in connection to a lawyer early morning meeting who has never emerged, and a Greek contact who was flying over about to arrive early in June but has never been mentioned since. We give FD a lot of credit for advance planning in setting up such calls but maybe these calls were a made-up afterthought and never existed.

The fact that FD had to ask EE whether EE called him the morning of 5/24 casts doubt that MT was with the phone that morning, and even if the phone calls exist at all. Leaving open a wide range of places MT could have been that morning.

Is there a court site that someone can post for these 2 criminal cases? Just want to "see" if I can access it.

TIA! :)
Documents from Criminal Court are not online but might be available for the Court House or paid online services. We have been lucky that reporters have been providing access to some of the Criminal Court documents and ditto for Family Court. Civil documents are available online via the State of CT Judiciary website.

Regarding MTs whereabouts and role the morning of 5/24, of which we have heard nothing made public, but is a key piece of the puzzle (and perhaps still tripping up LE as well? Hard to know what they have in their back pockets).

AW2 states that on Tuesday 5/28 FD and MT were reviewing their “timeline” (now known as alibi script, which contains a list of incoming/outgoing calls and info) in the presence of EE. FD asked EE if EE had called him the morning of 5/24.
If MT was at 4JC “manning” the phone according to some plan, wouldn’t she have known or remembered If EE had called or not?
FD gave his actual phone to NCPD on 5/25 and clearly he neglected to check his missed call log on the phone before he handed it over.

Either, MT was instructed to make and take specific planned calls to specific people that morning while FD was in NC, and she was not to answer any other calls because that would reveal that FD was not there (and she somehow didn’t record or remember if EE had called in, surely FD had EEs # programmed into his phone) or, MT was not with the phone at 4JC that morning. In the latter, who then would have made the calls on the phone that morning?

Could FD have been so stupid to think that just by leaving his phone at 4JC it would absolve him? Could the “morning phone calls” just be part of the made-up alibi script and not exist at all? MT admits in AW2 that FDs phone was at 4JC that morning, but we don’t know anything beyond. We assume FD was savvy enough not to make an alibi script listing incoming and outgoing phone calls that could be disproven with a quick check off the phone records, especially since the alibi scripts were presumably made after FD handed over his phone to LE. One would think that Fd and MT would at least check the online phone records to make it consistent, but perhaps FD didn’t plan that deeply and thought by merely leaving his phone behind he could escape detection, and so there weren’t actually any incoming or outgoing calls. The only person we’ve heard about these calls from is the always truthful NP, progenitor of the polygraph myth, and in connection to a lawyer early morning meeting who has never emerged, and a Greek contact who was flying over about to arrive early in June but has never been mentioned since. We give FD a lot of credit for advance planning in setting up such calls but maybe these calls were a made-up afterthought and never existed.

The fact that FD had to ask EE whether EE called him the morning of 5/24 casts doubt that MT was with the phone that morning, and even if the phone calls exist at all. Leaving open a wide range of places MT could have been that morning.
EXACTLY!

We don't have a timeline for MT on the 24th and as you say we don't know if she was physically in the office at 4Jx "watching" the FD phone either.

We don't know:
1. Did MT take her daughter to school on 4/24? Did MT pick her daughter up from school on 4/24? Was MT daughter even at 4Jx on 4/23 and 4/24 or perhaps was this the purpose of the Mama A visit to remove MT daughter from 4Jx and perhaps 'treat' her to an overnight at a local hotel or some other location to perhaps visit friends?
2. Did MT return to 4Jx after taking her daughter to school?
3. Was Mama A. in Farmington by 4/24 and perhaps did she take MT daughter to school? When exactly did Mama A arrive in Farmington and what prompted this visit?
4. Did CCTV capture MT arriving/departing from 4Jx on 4/24?
5. Which vehicle was MT driving on 4/24 or did she drive multiple vehicles?
6. Does MT have a second cell phone or wifi only phone or communication device?
7. Does MT employ a nanny or perhaps pay Uber or like company to drive and pick up her daughter from school?
8. Does 4Jx have an active security system (ditto for 80MS) and were they activated on 4/23 onwards or were there 'disruptions' to the systems?
9. Does the vehicle usually driven by MT have GPS navi or entertainment system?
10. Does MT have any corroborated alibi for 4/24?
11. Which activities so far discussed by MT and Atty. P. in the public press or in the case of AWs for MT were part of the 'alibi scripts'?
12. Was the alleged 'party' at 4Jx on Thur 4/23 a component of the alibi script?
13. Did MT physically sit at 4Jx on the am of 4/24 and witness FD phone ringing?
14. Did MT and MD rig up some alternative means of communication on 4/24 using wifi or burner phones to communicate?
15. Did Mama A rent her own vehicle and perhaps did MT 'borrow' it on 4/24?
16. Where was Mama A on 4/23, 4/24, 4/25 etc. and did she play an active role in the crime or coverup?

So many questions, and no information. Will have to wait.

MOO

I don't believe the FBI is investigating other than providing assistance in the testing, forensic part.
I also don't believe Farmington PD or NCPD is
actively investigating the case other than providing manpower for the searches within their municipalities.
Ct. State Police is running the show here.
I'm getting a little concerned here with no
further movement toward an arrest for murder.
It's coming up on 6 months since JF disappeared and we not only don't have a body
or proof of disposal of a body but no one's been
charged with her murder.
Personally I believe there was much delay in
jumping on this case in the first couple days.
And that state police dragged their feet in the
investigation. Was it because of LE being intimidated by the obvious wealth factor and
LE didn't want to step on any toes?
I'm very disappointed there hasn't been any more charges placed on the 2 main suspects. Surely they're not that bright, or are they?
MOO
Thanks. How could I forget the State Police involvement? That video where NP and FD were coming out of the barracks after the 2nd AW arrest—laughing! And just inside the glass door before they came out—NP laughing with someone inside! You’d think they’d had a party! Somewhere in an interview recently NP said he had good friends on the CT SP, as I recall—Maybe on the AJ & Chaz radio show? NP represented some state trooper whistleblowers in a case against the state for not protecting them from retaliation. In re that case he represented someone in a FOIA complaint. Here’s a link:
FIC2008-524

NP’s name is at the end as counsel. Notice at beginning the bit about a former hearing where NP and his client/complainant failed to appear, though AG Blumenthal had subpoenaed a witness, who did appear with his counsel. The FOIC hearing officer simply set a new hearing—though for anyone else, particularly a pro se complainant, there would’ve been a dismissal. The lawyer for the witness asked for sanctions against Pattis to pay his fee. That was denied. No consequences to NP. But also see what records he was asking for (on behalf of his client, of course)—"concerning the selection of outside attorneys to represent state agencies and employees”. And NP’s the guy that doesn’t even have a contract to cash in on working for the state as a special public defender. Let’s hope the state police are being as diligent as can be.
Moo.

EXACTLY!

We don't have a timeline for MT on the 24th and as you say we don't know if she was physically in the office at 4Jx "watching" the FD phone either.

We don't know:
1. Did MT take her daughter to school on 4/24? Did MT pick her daughter up from school on 4/24? Was MT daughter even at 4Jx on 4/23 and 4/24 or perhaps was this the purpose of the Mama A visit to remove MT daughter from 4Jx and perhaps 'treat' her to an overnight at a local hotel or some other location to perhaps visit friends?
2. Did MT return to 4Jx after taking her daughter to school?
3. Was Mama A. in Farmington by 4/24 and perhaps did she take MT daughter to school? When exactly did Mama A arrive in Farmington and what prompted this visit?
4. Did CCTV capture MT arriving/departing from 4Jx on 4/24?
5. Which vehicle was MT driving on 4/24 or did she drive multiple vehicles?
6. Does MT have a second cell phone or wifi only phone or communication device?
7. Does MT employ a nanny or perhaps pay Uber or like company to drive and pick up her daughter from school?
8. Does 4Jx have an active security system (ditto for 80MS) and were they activated on 4/23 onwards or were there 'disruptions' to the systems?
9. Does the vehicle usually driven by MT have GPS navi or entertainment system?
10. Does MT have any corroborated alibi for 4/24?
11. Which activities so far discussed by MT and Atty. P. in the public press or in the case of AWs for MT were part of the 'alibi scripts'?
12. Was the alleged 'party' at 4Jx on Thur 4/23 a component of the alibi script?
13. Did MT physically sit at 4Jx on the am of 4/24 and witness FD phone ringing?
14. Did MT and MD rig up some alternative means of communication on 4/24 using wifi or burner phones to communicate?
15. Did Mama A rent her own vehicle and perhaps did MT 'borrow' it on 4/24?
16. Where was Mama A on 4/23, 4/24, 4/25 etc. and did she play an active role in the crime or coverup?

So many questions, and no information. Will have to wait.

MOO

You're the best @afitzy!

Any speculation as to who was on the guest list for the dinner party? KM?, SM? Do they collectively have enough credible friends to show up on a Thursday night for a "dinner party"? The neighbor's camera would likely be able to prove/disprove their attendance. A dinner party of 4 perhaps? FD, MT, Mama A and child? Maybe it was Mama A who left without her purse?

MOO, MOO, MOO

Last edited:
They might be stupid, but they sure are slick. They are walking around free. And no judge is forcing their hand. Why is that?
Why is no lawyer asking for proof of income to keep up his light bills. Car insurance. Credit card payments. If you can’t get to attorney payments, drop it. Go after what you can get.
Utility bills. Credit card payments. Who is paying those bills? FD is paying huge money to cover all of his actions. Plus the bills themselves.
No visible means of support.
He could die before all of this is sorted out.
His former web site firm dropped him. What do they know? What about former employees? Not just the trades.
Maybe this is all being investigated. I sure hope so.

IMO, mortgage fraud should have been relatively easy to prove using records from two local banks that provided, IMO, purchase money financing. Banks, even local ones, are guaranteed by FDIC insurance and mortgage officers have license #'s. Probably CT is covered by New York's Department of Financial Services regulatory scheme under FDIC. All banks are subject to audit by bank regulators because of the FDIC guarantee on deposits (cheap money to lend out to borrowers who pass sound underwriting guidelines, theoretically protecting the public from bank runs, financial meltdowns). Is there something special about the local banks who are run by Board Members who are in effect a bunch of local wealthy citizens who golf together and want to make an easy spread lending government guaranteed free money i.e. "not my capital at risk" to home buying customers of local builders? Are local politicos loathe to upset the apple cart because they have been hobnobbing with these same Board Members under the guise of supporting local business development and employment growth in CT? MOO.

1) Farmington/Peoples:
SM already pled the 5th in the GV/MT $75k purchase and sale in Family Court. Then crickets. Where is the loan application filed with the bank?

2) Danbury Savings Bank, first mortgage holder of 61 Sturbridge, still on sale, open house today:
Danbury Bank's first mortgage on Sturbridge has had little to none investigative reporting, we don't know how much the amount of the mortgage is, even though HC and NewCanaanite and @afitzy did extensive title research in September (thread #22) on the liens of Fore owned properties. It appears like Danbury Savings Bank holds the one and only bank mortgage on the books for all the properties held by FORE. Sturbridge was purchased on 7/18/2017 for $1.5mm, possibly financed in large part with a purchase money mortgage from Danbury Bank. The appraisal might have been a large part of the underwriting but FORE Group, Inc. financials had to have been produced as well as cash flow projections and tax returns for bank due diligence. So, where is the loan application? MOO.

New Canaan Tax Records

Here is document for those that are brave enough to dive in, feel free:

http://appellateinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentDisplayer.aspx?AppId=2&DocId=lqAhny/4Z2wbayRpdbojjg==

Originally my plan to was read the above document and ask questions. I have any number of questions about the document but really my basic question is why do we see Atty. P. yet again (yawn) beating the drum about the 1st Amendment and the right to free speech in a motion to appeal a gag order imposed by Judge Blawie when I believe the real and fundamental issue at hand is the seeming inability or unwillingness of Atty. P. to comply with Rules 3.6(a) and 3.6(b) of Professional Conduct and the inability or unwillingness of the State to 'call out' such non compliance except in a response to the Atty. P. motion to dismiss the 'gag order'?

We also have the issue in 3.6(b) where the behaviour standard refers to a 'reasonable attorney' and it does seem like perhaps a clarification of this standard for Atty. P. might just be necessary and I do wonder if this might have been done earlier in Chambers outside of the Press view and warnings given that non compliance won't be tolerated? Perhaps this was done and Atty. P. simply didn't listen to the warnings of Judge Blawie. Sadly we don't know. But the case ended up with a 'gag order' IMO as the result of insufficient policing of basic standards for whatever reason.

I do think we all know that the 'gag order' was imposed for a reason. But I do wonder if Atty. P. had been following the rules whether it could have been avoided in its entirety? IDK. I support the 'gag order' as drafted as it seems to be the only way given the players involved with the case to make sure a jury can be found and a fair trial delivered IMO. Its sad that Court can't or won't impose discipline on attorneys that don't follow rules and it took the 'gag order' discussion/debate to see the State call out Atty. P. for his non compliance with basic Court procedures.

Its all a bit convoluted but I believe the 1st Amendment issues, the FD right to speak and Atty. P. right to defend his client are simply 'smokescreen' issues to hide behind and deflect (yet again) responsibility for following the rules of the court and to go back to a toddler reference to make this point clear, "colouring inside the lines". I think the bottom line was that Atty. P. wants to say whatever he wants to say at any time and to anyone with no questioning from anyone and then IMO conveniently hides behind the existence of 3.6(a) and 3.6(b) when convenient to do so. Why did neither Judge Blawie or State Atty Colangelo call BS on this when the first "Gone Girl" and "Revenge Suicide" statements started? I would love to see 20 atty's shown the facts of the case relating to statements made by Atty. P. and see how many would agree with the statement that he was in compliance with Professional Guidelines based on the 'reasonable attorney' standard? My guess is that any CT atty following this case will now simply thumb their nose at 3.6(a) and (b) because they have seen it totally mocked in the Dulos case!

The Judge Blawie 'gag order' was necessitated almost completely IMO by the inability of Atty. P. to follow along with the Professional Rules of Conduct. Sure there were LE leaks along the way too and these leaks no doubt wound up Atty. P. into a frenzy but for each leak and comment Atty. P. had the choice of whether to behave in a manner that was consistent with the rules of the court. State Atty Colangelo doesn't talk about the Atty. P. leaking of the draft psych report in Family Court but in that case we saw a confidential document leaked to the press with no consequences for Atty. P either from the Court or the State Bar other than him being 'excused' from being the court via what we guess to be a behind closed door meeting with Judge Heller. Good to see how State of CT Judges are protecting confidential information of participants in litigation as that was one of the worst violations of sensitive information I've seen in a long time with zero consequences.

But I do wonder why we didn't see either Judge Blawie or Atty Colangelo calling out the violations to the Professional Rules of Conduct in advance of calling for a 'gag order' in Criminal Court? I don't think that its any mystery or 'secret' that Atty. P. has issues being told what he can and cannot do. Atty. P. IMO just keep pushing the boundaries further and further until the public saw what was happening and was appalled at what was being allowed to be said about someone not here to defend herself.

So, when the statement was made about the MT polygraph test which was known to be false according to State Atty Colangelo why not simply call out the falsehood? This same question exists for the many horrible statements made by Atty. P. about the missing victim JF which so far as I can tell when unchallenged by the State and were never questioned by Judge Blawie until the light bulb went off that things had been going on for months and there was a major issue with the potential jury pool and possible fair trial for FD and MT. Why did it take so long for something to be done? Presumably the Judge and States atty are keeping up with the external news on the case and so to see the victim being labeled as a heroin addict and girlfriend to a drug dealer and having staged her own disappearance simply to spite her husband, perhaps it was a clear signal that things had simply gone off the rails? I don't get the ongoing pussyfooting around the rules? But we see it time and time again both in Civil Court, Family Court and now sadly Criminal Court. What is the purpose of the rules unless the people charged with maintaining them actually do something to make sure they are followed?

Atty Colangelo says (about Atty. P.), "Some of his statements do not run afoul of Rule 3.6(a), but many of them plain do". GREAT, but why not do something about it? Atty Colangelo goes on and on talking about the issues of Atty. P. many statements prior to the 'gag order' and then finishes on Page A121 by saying, "The Court should not let them go unadmonished". Atty Colangelo on Page A122 goes on to say that "Rule 3.6(B) is not a license to say anything counsel thinks will help his client in response to potentially negative publicity. Rather, statements just be "required to protect a client from the substantial undue prejudicial effect of the recent publicity."

REALLY. GOOD TO KNOW. BUT WHY NOT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

So, we seem to have a difference of opinion as to Professional Standards between the parties and the Judge that rather than dealing with the issues directly IMO skirts the discussion by imposing a 'gag order' perhaps to avoid later appeal IDK? But, the net effect IMO of not addressing the conduct issues is that Atty. P. gets to wave the 1st Amendment flag and talk word salad and simply IMO waste time on issues that 'at best' are peripheral to the case of the State against FD and uses the State Supreme Court as a launching pad for future Atty. P. appeals.

So, my big question was why did Judge Blawie and State Atty Colangelo let the situation of Atty. P. statements to the Press escalate into a place where the court finds itself today and now we have State Supreme Court Justices spending their time on 1st Amendment issues not really directly tied to the original issues at hand IMO? IMO it would have been more productive for Atty. P. to have been sanctioned at the lower court level for non compliance with 3.6(a) and/or (b) and let him take the sanctions up on appeal to the State Supreme Court and not have the State Supreme Court engaged in a review of Atty. P. 1st Amendment Word Salad that has little to do with the real issues at hand.

The other question I have is also directed to Judge Blawie and States Atty Colangelo and it relates to what are the rights of a missing victim who is not here to defend herself against the horrific comments directed in her direction by Atty. P. The State of CT doesn't have a missing persons advocate process that I'm aware of but it seems that on some basic level that the comments of Atty. P. and his team of PR people should have been stopped based simply on imposing compliance with the rules of Professional Conduct many many months ago. Why was nobody in the judiciary looking at this issue or caring that the reputation and character of a person not present was being for lack of a better word, "SLAMMED" in the press by supposed Officers of the Court? Why was this allowed to happen? The damage to JD has been done and no gag order is going to fix that damage IMO. Does the Court simply not care about the damage inflicted to date by Atty. P. statements?

Many things about this case have been disappointing from the State Police who don't believe they have an obligation to update the public on their case in a professional manner as is seen in similar cases every day across the county (even if just to say we continue to work hard!) and instead choose to selectively leak information to the press which served to inflame a situation where defense counsel felt compelled to respond by victim shaming and blaming. But the most disappointing thing IMO has been the State not protecting JD as a missing person as it almost seemed that JD didn't matter as a human being to the State at all and so her being thrashed in the Press via daily ongoing comments from the defense weren't important.

IMO JD as a human being and mother of 5 small children, who at some point in the future will read about this case and their mother someday, is important and IMO she and her reputation should be closely guarded by the State and I feel like the State let JD down in a very big way in not protecting her through this process. Not sure what her 5 children will think reading back on what was allowed to be said about their mother many years from now and where nobody did anything in the early months of the case to protect their mother from false statements being made about her.

MOO

Last edited:
IMO, mortgage fraud should have been relatively easy to prove using records from two local banks that provided, IMO, purchase money financing. Banks, even local ones, are guaranteed by FDIC insurance and mortgage officers have license #'s. Probably CT is covered by New York's Department of Financial Services regulatory scheme under FDIC. All banks are subject to audit by bank regulators because of the FDIC guarantee on deposits (cheap money to lend out to borrowers who pass sound underwriting guidelines, theoretically protecting the public from bank runs, financial meltdowns). Is there something special about the local banks who are run by Board Members who are in effect a bunch of local wealthy citizens who golf together and want to make an easy spread lending government guaranteed free money i.e. "not my capital at risk" to home buying customers of local builders? Are local politicos loathe to upset the apple cart because they have been hobnobbing with these same Board Members under the guise of supporting local business development and employment growth in CT? MOO.

1) Farmington/Peoples:
SM already pled the 5th in the GV/MT $75k purchase and sale in Family Court. Then crickets. Where is the loan application filed with the bank?

2) Danbury Savings Bank, first mortgage holder of 61 Sturbridge, still on sale, open house today:
Danbury Bank's first mortgage on Sturbridge has had little to none investigative reporting, we don't know how much the amount of the mortgage is, even though HC and NewCanaanite and @afitzy did extensive title research in September (thread #22) on the liens of Fore owned properties. It appears like Danbury Savings Bank holds the one and only bank mortgage on the books for all the properties held by FORE. Sturbridge was purchased on 7/18/2017 for $1.5mm, possibly financed in large part with a purchase money mortgage from Danbury Bank. The appraisal might have been a large part of the underwriting but FORE Group, Inc. financials had to have been produced as well as cash flow projections and tax returns for bank due diligence. So, where is the loan application? MOO.

New Canaan Tax Records
Great questions Panda!!
If anyone wants to read of a very interesting case of a large, wealthy homebuilder in bed with his bank, PEOPLE"S BANK, where they were committing fraud and got caught and 6 people went to prison including 2 bank officers. Case was in Northern Ky./Cinc. Ohio
area around early 2000's.
Case got up to around $69 million in missing funds except they weren't all missing- they went into the pockets of the homebuilder and
I'm sure some of it ended up in the bankers' pockets.
It all started at home closings when the builder
was given checks to pay off his construction loans and liens and instead took the checks to People's Bank and deposited the proceed checks into his personal account. So none of the construction loans or trade liens were ever paid.
250 homebuyers, 40 banks and title companies
and numerous trades people were all caught up in the scheme til it all came tumbling down.
Just google Bill Erpenbeck, builder if you want to read about it.

Here is document for those that are brave enough to dive in, feel free:

http://appellateinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentDisplayer.aspx?AppId=2&DocId=lqAhny/4Z2wbayRpdbojjg==

Originally my plan to was read the above document and ask questions. I have any number of questions about the document but really my basic question is why do we see Atty. P. yet again (yawn) beating the drum about the 1st Amendment and the right to free speech in a motion to appeal a gag order imposed by Judge Blawie when I believe the real and fundamental issue at hand is the seeming inability or unwillingness of Atty. P. to comply with Rules 3.6(a) and 3.6(b) of Professional Conduct and the inability or unwillingness of the State to 'call out' such non compliance except in a response to the Atty. P. motion to dismiss the 'gag order'?

We also have the issue in 3.6(b) where the behaviour standard refers to a 'reasonable attorney' and it does seem like perhaps a clarification of this standard for Atty. P. might just be necessary and I do wonder if this might have been done earlier in Chambers outside of the Press view and warnings given that non compliance won't be tolerated? Perhaps this was done and Atty. P. simply didn't listen to the warnings of Judge Blawie. Sadly we don't know. But the case ended up with a 'gag order' IMO as the result of insufficient policing of basic standards for whatever reason.

I do think we all know that the 'gag order' was imposed for a reason. But I do wonder if Atty. P. had been following the rules whether it could have been avoided in its entirety? IDK. I support the 'gag order' as drafted as it seems to be the only way given the players involved with the case to make sure a jury can be found and a fair trial delivered IMO. Its sad that Court can't or won't impose discipline on attorneys that don't follow rules and it took the 'gag order' discussion/debate to see the State call out Atty. P. for his non compliance with basic Court procedures.

Its all a bit convoluted but I believe the 1st Amendment issues, the FD right to speak and Atty. P. right to defend his client are simply 'smokescreen' issues to hide behind and deflect (yet again) responsibility for following the rules of the court and to go back to a toddler reference to make this point clear, "colouring inside the lines". I think the bottom line was that Atty. P. wants to say whatever he wants to say at any time and to anyone with no questioning from anyone and then IMO conveniently hides behind the existence of 3.6(a) and 3.6(b) when convenient to do so. Why did neither Judge Blawie or State Atty Colangelo call BS on this when the first "Gone Girl" and "Revenge Suicide" statements started? I would love to see 20 atty's shown the facts of the case relating to statements made by Atty. P. and see how many would agree with the statement that he was in compliance with Professional Guidelines based on the 'reasonable attorney' standard? My guess is that any CT atty following this case will now simply thumb their nose at 3.6(a) and (b) because they have seen it totally mocked in the Dulos case!

The Judge Blawie 'gag order' was necessitated almost completely IMO by the inability of Atty. P. to follow along with the Professional Rules of Conduct. Sure there were LE leaks along the way too and these leaks no doubt wound up Atty. P. into a frenzy but for each leak and comment Atty. P. had the choice of whether to behave in a manner that was consistent with the rules of the court. State Atty Colangelo doesn't talk about the Atty. P. leaking of the draft psych report in Family Court but in that case we saw a confidential document leaked to the press with no consequences for Atty. P either from the Court or the State Bar other than him being 'excused' from being the court via what we guess to be a behind closed door meeting with Judge Heller. Good to see how State of CT Judges are protecting confidential information of participants in litigation as that was one of the worst violations of sensitive information I've seen in a long time with zero consequences.

But I do wonder why we didn't see either Judge Blawie or Atty Colangelo calling out the violations to the Professional Rules of Conduct in advance of calling for a 'gag order' in Criminal Court? I don't think that its any mystery or 'secret' that Atty. P. has issues being told what he can and cannot do. Atty. P. IMO just keep pushing the boundaries further and further until the public saw what was happening and was appalled at what was being allowed to be said about someone not here to defend herself.

So, when the statement was made about the MT polygraph test which was known to be false according to State Atty Colangelo why not simply call out the falsehood? This same question exists for the many horrible statements made by Atty. P. about the missing victim JF which so far as I can tell when unchallenged by the State and were never questioned by Judge Blawie until the light bulb went off that things had been going on for months and there was a major issue with the potential jury pool and possible fair trial for FD and MT. Why did it take so long for something to be done? Presumably the Judge and States atty are keeping up with the external news on the case and so to see the victim being labeled as a heroin addict and girlfriend to a drug dealer and having staged her own disappearance simply to spite her husband, perhaps it was a clear signal that things had simply gone off the rails? I don't get the ongoing pussyfooting around the rules? But we see it time and time again both in Civil Court, Family Court and now sadly Criminal Court. What is the purpose of the rules unless the people charged with maintaining them actually do something to make sure they are followed?

Atty Colangelo says (about Atty. P.), "Some of his statements do not run afoul of Rule 3.6(a), but many of them plain do". GREAT, but why not do something about it? Atty Colangelo goes on and on talking about the issues of Atty. P. many statements prior to the 'gag order' and then finishes on Page A121 by saying, "The Court should not let them go unadmonished". Atty Colangelo on Page A122 goes on to say that "Rule 3.6(B) is not a license to say anything counsel thinks will help his client in response to potentially negative publicity. Rather, statements just be "required to protect a client from the substantial undue prejudicial effect of the recent publicity."

REALLY. GOOD TO KNOW. BUT WHY NOT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

So, we seem to have a difference of opinion as to Professional Standards between the parties and the Judge that rather than dealing with the issues directly IMO skirts the discussion by imposing a 'gag order' perhaps to avoid later appeal IDK? But, the net effect IMO of not addressing the conduct issues is that Atty. P. gets to wave the 1st Amendment flag and talk word salad and simply IMO waste time on issues that 'at best' are peripheral to the case of the State against FD and uses the State Supreme Court as a launching pad for future Atty. P. appeals.

So, my big question was why did Judge Blawie and State Atty Colangelo let the situation of Atty. P. statements to the Press escalate into a place where the court finds itself today and now we have State Supreme Court Justices spending their time on 1st Amendment issues not really directly tied to the original issues at hand IMO? IMO it would have been more productive for Atty. P. to have been sanctioned at the lower court level for non compliance with 3.6(a) and/or (b) and let him take the sanctions up on appeal to the State Supreme Court and not have the State Supreme Court engaged in a review of Atty. P. 1st Amendment Word Salad that has little to do with the real issues at hand.

The other question I have is also directed to Judge Blawie and States Atty Colangelo and it relates to what are the rights of a missing victim who is not here to defend herself against the horrific comments directed in her direction by Atty. P. The State of CT doesn't have a missing persons advocate process that I'm aware of but it seems that on some basic level that the comments of Atty. P. and his team of PR people should have been stopped based simply on imposing compliance with the rules of Professional Conduct many many months ago. Why was nobody in the judiciary looking at this issue or caring that the reputation and character of a person not present was being for lack of a better word, "SLAMMED" in the press by supposed Officers of the Court? Why was this allowed to happen? The damage to JD has been done and no gag order is going to fix that damage IMO. Does the Court simply not care about the damage inflicted to date by Atty. P. statements?

Many things about this case have been disappointing from the State Police who don't believe they have an obligation to update the public on their case in a professional manner as is seen in similar cases every day across the county (even if just to say we continue to work hard!) and instead choose to selectively leak information to the press which served to inflame a situation where defense counsel felt compelled to respond by victim shaming and blaming. But the most disappointing thing IMO has been the State not protecting JD as a missing person as it almost seemed that JD didn't matter as a human being to the State at all and so her being thrashed in the Press via daily ongoing comments from the defense weren't important.

IMO JD as a human being and mother of 5 small children, who at some point in the future will read about this case and their mother someday, is important and IMO she and her reputation should be closely guarded by the State and I feel like the State let JD down in a very big way in not protecting her through this process. Not sure what her 5 children will think reading back on what was allowed to be said about their mother many years from now and where nobody did anything in the early months of the case to protect their mother from false statements being made about her.

MOO
The motion, in my opinion, is way too long and I think that was intended to be an annoyance (a major one at that). Who really has the time to engage in such a document? I think you are right in that it is a smokescreen to take attention away from his own repeated lack of professional conduct. He could have just cited a few cases as precedence and left it that. I also agree with you that JD’s rights as a victim have been totally overlooked and no one has protected her from his outlandish suggestions as to why she has just suddenly fallen off the face of the Earth. MOO

bbm (2)
It took me One hour to read NP’s 209 page Appeal . All I came away with is this .. If it took me (ONE entire hour), how many billable hours did it take to research, write and produce that nonsense.

Shame on Judge Noble for NOT allowing GF/ Weinstein the right to discover how FD Is Paying NP to Appeal something as superfluous to this case as a Gag Order .

An Order which has nothing to do with any charges that were filed. If Weinstein’s “Motion to Reconsider” get’s denied, I truly hope he fights back and Appeals that Ruling. It’s despicable the money that is flowing from FD’s coffers with no accountability as to where these riches originate from ... Moo

And what if those billable hours are being paid for by CT taxpayers (if NP is being paid, as he often is, by the state)?

Maybe this is the quote you remember from your grandmother. I find it handy and worthy of remembering over the years:

Great Minds Discuss Ideas
Average Minds Discuss Things or Events
Small Minds Discuss People

Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People – Quote Investigator

Another great quote*: Lying liars, including lame lying lawyers, lie.

* Quote by Pepe Le Pew: a putrid, perfidious, parsimonious, prevaricating predator.

bbm
In true Pattis form, it only took him sentence two of this long winded, repetitive book report to insert a grammatical error:
"Indeed, it is there five year anniversary, when suddenly, Amy disappears. Suspicion turns to foul play quickly enough."

And how about this doozy of a (perhaps self-reflective) thought:
"Flynn has never practiced law, but she knows a lawyer’s truth: We are all capable of just about anything."

Indeed, for some of us!

long winded, repetitive book report
Perfect. But are CT taxpayers paying for it? Curious minds want to know.

(PS. I get the feeling most of his motions are 420 moments. Just my opinion, of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cngmac