Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #54

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a bunch @Tink56 ! Much appreciated. :)

Probate judge to hear arguments over a settlement that would bar Fotis Dulos' attorneys from discussing case

Lisa Backus

July 12, 2021Updated: July 12, 2021 1:35 p.m.

Fotis Dulos, center, appears with his attorney Norm Pattis, left, for arraignment on a new tampering with evidence charge Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at state Superior Court in Norwalk, Conn. His wife, Jennifer Dulos went missing May 24 and hasn't been seen since. Dulos and his girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, were charged in June with tampering with evidence and hindering prosecution in connection with Jennifer Dulos' disappearance. (Erik Trautmann/Hearst Connecticut Media via AP, Pool)

Erik Trautmann / Associated Press

FARMINGTON — A probate judge will hear oral arguments Tuesday on a proposed settlement with the estate of Fotis Dulos that would bar his former criminal defense attorneys Norm Pattis and Kevin Smith from discussing the case surrounding the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos.

The attorneys agreed to the settlement that would also require them to pay the estate $137,000 of a $250,000
retainer Fotis Dulos gave them in January 2020 to defend him against murder and kidnapping charges in connection with the disappearance of his estranged wife, Jennifer Dulos.

Not long after paying the retainer to Pattis and Smith, Fotis Dulos died of suicide.

I didn't get the whole SA article--paywall.

Probate judge to hear arguments over a settlement that would bar Fotis Dulos' attorneys from discussing case

Lisa Backus

Fotis Dulos, center, appears with his attorney Norm Pattis, left, for arraignment on a new tampering with evidence charge Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at state Superior Court in Norwalk, Conn. His wife, Jennifer Dulos went missing May 24 and hasn't been seen since. Dulos and his girlfriend, Michelle Troconis, were charged in June with tampering with evidence and hindering prosecution in connection with Jennifer Dulos' disappearance. (Erik Trautmann/Hearst Connecticut Media via AP, Pool)

FARMINGTON — A probate judge will hear oral arguments Tuesday on a proposed settlement with the estate of Fotis Dulos that would bar his former criminal defense attorneys Norm Pattis and Kevin Smith from discussing the case surrounding the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos.

The attorneys agreed to the settlement that would also require them to pay the estate $137,000 of a $250,000
retainer Fotis Dulos gave them in January 2020 to defend him against murder and kidnapping charges in connection with the disappearance of his estranged wife, Jennifer Dulos.

Not long after paying the retainer to Pattis and Smith, Fotis Dulos died of suicide.

Thanks for this @pernickety ... we knew that settlement had to come with strings (on both sides). :rolleyes:

Lisa Backus

Some additional comments from the article:
Probate court staff said Judge Evelyn Daly is also likely to hear a request submitted by Gloria Farber, the mother of Jennifer Dulos, to receive a lump sum payment of $50,000 to be used for the care of the five Dulos children. The children have been with Farber since Jennifer Dulos disappeared on May 24, 2019. Farber is listed as their guardian on the request filed with the probate court in late May.

The proposed agreement filed with the court in May would settle lawsuits filed against Pattis and Smith by a trustee for Jennifer Dulos’ family and the administrator of the estate of Fotis Dulos claiming the attorneys improperly kept the $255,769 retainer for 17 days work in January 2020.

Mark Dean, the trustee, and Attorney Christopher Hug, the administrator of Fotis Dulos’ estate, wanted the money from the retainer to pay creditors including Farber, who was awarded $2 million in a civil suit she filed against her former son-in-law.

The agreement, if approved by Daly and signed by all parties, would prohibit anyone involved from commenting on the settlement other than confirming they have consented to the plan, the filing shows. The parties also cannot publicly disparage each other, according to the agreement.

And.....
Pattis and Smith will be prohibited from discussing any evidence or opinions on Fotis Dulos, Jennifer Dulos, Farber or the five Dulos children, according to the agreement. The attorneys are required to turn over any files, documents, evidence or personal effects from their representation of Fotis Dulos within 30 days of the settlement’s approval, the document said.

Pattis and Smith are also banned from discussing the two remaining co-defendants in the case, Michelle Troconis, the former girlfriend of Fotis Dulos, and Kent Mawhinney, his former friend and attorney. Troconis and Mawhinney have each pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder and their cases remain before the court.

The prohibition includes “providing recollections, or writings, appearing for interviews, and/or cooperating or providing information directly or indirectly related to any book, magazine article, television or film production or any other type of media publication,” the filing shows.

However, Pattis and Smith can cooperate with police and prosecutors involved in the case, according to the agreement. The terms of the non-disclosure agreement last until Dec. 31, 2060.

Lisa Backus

In the additional information from the article, I noticed that Pattis and Smith can assist police and prosecutors. It doesn't mention defense attorneys.

Wonder if JS will object to this stipulation??

Hope it all breezes through the probate court without changes.

And.....
Pattis and Smith will be prohibited from discussing any evidence or opinions on Fotis Dulos, Jennifer Dulos, Farber or the five Dulos children, according to the agreement. The attorneys are required to turn over any files, documents, evidence or personal effects from their representation of Fotis Dulos within 30 days of the settlement’s approval, the document said.

Pattis and Smith are also banned from discussing the two remaining co-defendants in the case, Michelle Troconis, the former girlfriend of Fotis Dulos, and Kent Mawhinney, his former friend and attorney. Troconis and Mawhinney have each pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder and their cases remain before the court.

The prohibition includes “providing recollections, or writings, appearing for interviews, and/or cooperating or providing information directly or indirectly related to any book, magazine article, television or film production or any other type of media publication,” the filing shows.

However, Pattis and Smith can cooperate with police and prosecutors involved in the case, according to the agreement. The terms of the non-disclosure agreement last until Dec. 31, 2060.

Will Pattis still be able to promote and play his past opinionated interview in the TV special, as he is doing now on website and blog?

Will Pattis still be able to promote and play his past opinionated interview in the TV special, as he is doing now on website and blog?

I don’t think so-and if he is, it’s not going to continue. WTH-why does a murder victim and her family have to be subjected to this treatment by fD’s lawyer, his concubine, and her family?

I don’t think so-and if he is, it’s not going to continue. WTH-why does a murder victim and her family have to be subjected to this treatment by fD’s lawyer, his concubine, and her family?
I hope Atty Weinstein gets the language right in the contract. It says something about "recollections"--what about promoting past videos? It's true that NP's comments on video are out there for anyone to look up and watch, but if he keeps putting topical content on his blog, no matter if it's about another subject--but then posts an ad on his blog for that TV show about the Dulos case--in which NP is holding forth on his opinions on GG theory and JFD's novel--it's going to need some precise language to prohibit him from doing that. (NP's publicity agent might have something to do with it.)

Has anyone heard a summary or read a news article about the Probate Hearing yesterday? Did the judge make a ruling?

Do wish the probate court had better information on its website. :(

Thanks for the article and @Seattle1, too! (I lost a day somewhere in here...)

Let's hope the agreement is carefully written to finally silence NP (Smith, too). And, lets hope the website undergoes a revision, but I think Pernickety may be correct that historical documents might remain....UGH!

Now, if only we could find a ruling to keep JS and his demure client from blaming the victim as a defense for the MT. Hmmmmmm....

Let's hope the agreement is carefully written to finally silence NP (Smith, too). And, lets hope the website undergoes a revision, but I think Pernickety may be correct that historical documents might remain....UGH!

Now, if only we could find a ruling to keep JS and his demure client from blaming the victim as a defense for the MT. Hmmmmmm....
"Historical" info on the case might remain on other sites for the public to find, but I don't feel NP should be "providing" content of TV shows re the Dulos case on HIS OWN websites. Or that his publicity agents should be doing so.

I am still in shock that an accused conspiritor has continued to malign the murder victim herself and through her family. I guess Jennifer just wouldn’t get out of the way fast enough, leaving all of her assets and children behind for MT.

"Historical" info on the case might remain on other sites for the public to find, but I don't feel NP should be "providing" content of TV shows re the Dulos case on HIS OWN websites. Or that his publicity agents should be doing so.

I agree completely.

I was thinking about NP's cowboy employee who seems to lack filters....and the sweet young intern....

The "no comment" restrictions probably stem from HP's lawyer...John Williams...who made the following negative comments about GF...His comments are reprehensible, IMO...

"But attorney John Williams, who is representing Pattis and his colleague, Kevin Smith, called the lawsuit against his clients a “waste” of the estate’s “resources.”

“This is an utterly frivolous and meritless lawsuit, which appears to have been brought on behalf of the woman who bears a large measure of responsibility for the tragedy that has enveloped this family,” Williams said in a statement."

Williams was NP's mentor...and, IMO, they both stretch the limits of the law.

I agree completely.

I was thinking about NP's cowboy employee who seems to lack filters....and the sweet young intern....

The "no comment" restrictions probably stem from HP's lawyer...John Williams...who made the following negative comments about GF...His comments are reprehensible, IMO...

"But attorney John Williams, who is representing Pattis and his colleague, Kevin Smith, called the lawsuit against his clients a “waste” of the estate’s “resources.”

“This is an utterly frivolous and meritless lawsuit, which appears to have been brought on behalf of the woman who bears a large measure of responsibility for the tragedy that has enveloped this family,” Williams said in a statement."

Williams was NP's mentor...and, IMO, they both stretch the limits of the law.

Wow-what an a hole (williams)-saying such a thing about GF. All because they all thought that she was going to make them all rich though fD, and she wasn’t willing to do that, especially after her daughter was MURDERED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pencat