Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #56

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The average age of complete financial emancipation is 27. It's very unusual to self support at 17, and it's only harder every passing decade.

I'm sure this young person will find her solution...but whatever it is, it will not be for lack of capability.

MOO
In CT, and probably most other states, one legally becomes an adult at the age of 18. By the time MT goes through her criminal legal process, her daughter will be an adult woman. It’s Atty JS’s strategy to refer to MT’s daughter as a “child”, and to say MT has to care for her “child”, or her “teenager”. MT, at the age of 50-ish, still appears to have lots of family support. No reason that support can’t transfer to her daughter if she needs it as she pursues her endeavors, whether furthering her education or entering the workforce.

09/29/2023

This notification is brought to you by the Connecticut Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification (SAVIN) Program.

This email is to inform you that MICHELLE TROCONIS, with docket number FST CR190148553T, has an upcoming court event.

A/An Hearing has been scheduled for 10/04/2023. This will take place in Stamford-Norwalk JD Courthouse located at the following address: 123 Hoyt Street, Stamford, CT.

Please be aware that there is often more than one case scheduled for a particular date in this court. Please visit www.jud.ct.gov to check for any updates that may be available on this case.

For more information, contact the Office of Victim Services at 1-800-822-8428. For updates about this case or for driving directions to the courthouse, you can visit www.jud.ct.gov.

09/29/2023

This notification is brought to you by the Connecticut Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification (SAVIN) Program.

This email is to inform you that MICHELLE TROCONIS, with docket number FST CR190148553T, has an upcoming court event.

A/An Hearing has been scheduled for 10/04/2023. This will take place in Stamford-Norwalk JD Courthouse located at the following address: 123 Hoyt Street, Stamford, CT.

Please be aware that there is often more than one case scheduled for a particular date in this court. Please visit www.jud.ct.gov to check for any updates that may be available on this case.

For more information, contact the Office of Victim Services at 1-800-822-8428. For updates about this case or for driving directions to the courthouse, you can visit www.jud.ct.gov.

So... no hearing on 10/3/23? Jury selection next on 10/4?

wondering about all those other motions JS has...

In CT, and probably most other states, one legally becomes an adult at the age of 18. By the time MT goes through her criminal legal process, her daughter will be an adult woman. It’s Atty JS’s strategy to refer to MT’s daughter as a “child”, and to say MT has to care for her “child”, or her “teenager”. MT, at the age of 50-ish, still appears to have lots of family support. No reason that support can’t transfer to her daughter if she needs it as she pursues her endeavors, whether furthering her education or entering the workforce.
Agree @pernickety 100 percent - I don't think it's an issue. JS just uses it to try and humanize his cold as ice client. And you know any opportunity to whine and go on and on. The daughter has a Dad who she has a relationship with. It was reported in these threads that he was an Olympic skier as I recall and he is successful in his own right. The daughter has been reported to be a competitive skier as well. She is well taken care of without any help from MT I am sure. JMO

So... no hearing on 10/3/23? Jury selection next on 10/4?

wondering about all those other motions JS has...

Reply to my own post -
Thought maybe @Tink56 or @jakat can access the court site - ?? Maybe it has some updated dates in there. Just wondering about those motions defense has. And if they are really going into jury selection on the 4th.
TIA! :)

Although the trial isn't expected to start until January, the family of Jennifer Dulos will likely be relieved the case is headed toward some type of resolution, said attorney Richard Weinstein, who has been representing Jennifer Dulos' mother, Gloria Farber.

"I believe the family will feel much better with the idea that it's finally moving forward after more than four years," Weinstein said.

Although the trial isn't expected to start until January, the family of Jennifer Dulos will likely be relieved the case is headed toward some type of resolution, said attorney Richard Weinstein, who has been representing Jennifer Dulos' mother, Gloria Farber.

"I believe the family will feel much better with the idea that it's finally moving forward after more than four years," Weinstein said.
From the same article:
I don't know how long it will take to get a jury based on the evidence I presented to the judge in the change-of-venue hearing because of all the publicity, I would expect it would take upwards of a month," Schoenhorn said.

He also indicated that if a large number of people in the jury pool recognize the case, he will again ask for a transfer to Hartford.

I think it may be subscriber only. So if you cannot access the article imo most everything else is just a rehash of prior articles.
Imo

From the same article:
I don't know how long it will take to get a jury based on the evidence I presented to the judge in the change-of-venue hearing because of all the publicity, I would expect it would take upwards of a month," Schoenhorn said.

He also indicated that if a large number of people in the jury pool recognize the case, he will again ask for a transfer to Hartford.

I think it may be subscriber only. So if you cannot access the article imo most everything else is just a rehash of prior articles.
Imo

I've followed many trials on WS and I've never seen a defense attorney use jury selection to pout and essentially give advance notice that he intends to gaslight the Court!

First, there is not a Court or Prosecutor in the land that would ever opt to deny a defendant a fair trial! There are checks and balances to prevent this and JLS had a fair opportunity to present evidence to convince the Court that there was cause to move the trial to a different jurisdiction, and the Court ruled the defense did not meet the burden to Order the venue changed. Trying MT in Stamford is not a violation of MT's civil rights.

It's times like this that I wish there was a gag order here to prevent JLS from running his mouth about how he still plans to ask the Court to transfer the trial the Hartford. As if anything could have happened in the past two weeks (since the motion was denied) to somehow taint the jury pool. To be clear, the Court accepts that it's not a reasonable expectation that people in the jury pool will not recognize the case but whether or not they can set aside what they've heard to evaluate the evidence given in Court and make a decision based on the evidence.

When evidence of a client's innocence is on your side, you can try your case before any jurisdiction. There's no reason to use such antics that will only delay the trial date. It's as if JLS wants to punish the Court, prosecution, and family because his motion failed. Time for JLS to put on his big boy pants or risk alienating the jurors even before opening statements are delivered. Or maybe it's time for JLS to Motion for a change of plea. MOO

I've followed many trials on WS and I've never seen a defense attorney use jury selection to pout and essentially give advance notice that he intends to gaslight the Court!

First, there is not a Court or Prosecutor in the land that would ever opt to deny a defendant a fair trial! There are checks and balances to prevent this and JLS had a fair opportunity to present evidence to convince the Court that there was cause to move the trial to a different jurisdiction, and the Court ruled the defense did not meet the burden to Order the venue changed. Trying MT in Stamford is not a violation of MT's civil rights.

It's times like this that I wish there was a gag order here to prevent JLS from running his mouth about how he still plans to ask the Court to transfer the trial the Hartford. As if anything could have happened in the past two weeks (since the motion was denied) to somehow taint the jury pool. To be clear, the Court accepts that it's not a reasonable expectation that people in the jury pool will not recognize the case but whether or not they can set aside what they've heard to evaluate the evidence given in Court and make a decision based on the evidence.

When evidence of a client's innocence is on your side, you can try your case before any jurisdiction. There's no reason to use such antics that will only delay the trial date. It's as if JLS wants to punish the Court, prosecution, and family because his motion failed. Time for JLS to put on his big boy pants or risk alienating the jurors even before opening statements are delivered. Or maybe it's time for JLS to Motion for a change of plea. MOO
Well said! I do disagree with one thing, though. MT and whoever else may be tweeting on her behalf have, in my opinion, been working hard to taint the jury pool, with all of that crap they’ve been spewing. Of course, it only matters if you follow her, or make the effort to seek out her tweets. So while she’s making the attempt, I think she will not be as successful as she wants to be-and all of this smells like desperation to me.

Last edited:

BBM. Well said!

I think any potential juror in the entire state has heard of this case and how attorneys weaponized the court process when Jennifer was denied a Protection Order. It resulted in a change in state law which should be adopted nationwide.

JMO

Jennifer’s Law expanded the state’s definition of domestic violence to include non-physical abuse and coercive control, plus created grants for people with low income to apply for restraining orders. The law is also named after Jennifer Magnano, who was shot and killed by her husband in 2007.

Well said! I do disagree with one thing, though. MT and whoever else may be tweeting on her behalf have, in my opinion, been working hard to taint the jury pool, with all of that crap they’ve been spewing. Of course, it only matters if you follow her, or make the effort to seek out her tweets. So while she’s making the attempt, I think she will not be as successful as she wants to be-and all of this smells like desperation to me.
BBM. I think the good folks of CT--who are potential jurors--have heard of the expression: If it walks, talks and acts like a duck.......

JMO

Please correct me if I’m wrong. On the docket today, October 3rd, Judge Randolph will rule on some of Shoenhorn’s outstanding motions and tomorrow, October 4th, is the beginning of the month long jury selection. TY!

Sept 26, 2023

In state Superior Court in Stamford, Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness and Troconis' attorney Jon Schoenhorn argued about the defense's motion to suppress evidence seized at 4 Jefferson Crossing. Troconis was living at the Farmington home with Fotis Dulos when his estranged wife disappeared in May 2019.

Superior Court Judge Kevin A. Randolph said he plans to file his written decision on the matter by next Tuesday [10/3/23]. Earlier this month, he ruled that the police affidavit provided probable cause for the search.

Schoenhorn has argued he believed the warrant's scope was unreasonable.

[..]

In warrants for their arrests, police referred to the notes as "alibi scripts."

Schoenhorn claimed investigators were "rummaging" through the home based on the broadness of the warrant. He argued police seized the document “without any basis” as it did not indicate Jennifer Dulos was in or on the property and the home could have contained many notes with the suspects' names on them since they were living there.

McGuinness argued that even if seizing the document was not covered in the warrant, it was in plain view and its relevance to the case was “immediately apparent.”

Schoenhorn also claimed the time it took police to search the home — at least four days — was too long.

“I have found no criminal case where a search required four days,” Schoenhorn said. “A warrant does not dispossess someone from their home for an indefinite amount of time.”

[..]

Aside from the upcoming jury selection [10/4/23], attorneys have several outstanding motions to argue. Attorneys are also waiting to question a witness about police taking Troconis' cellphone, which her attorney said was obtained without a warrant.

I thought this was vacated - but I guess not??

Tuesday, Oct. 3rd:
*Motions Hearing (@ 10am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Michelle C. Troconis (44/now 49) (Dulos’ GF) arrested & charged (6/1/19) & arraigned (6/3/19) with tampering with or fabricating physical evidence & hindering prosecution. Plead not guilty. $500K bond. Posted bond (on 6/3/19). These charges were dismissed (8/28/20) & recharged below.
*Charged (9/5/19) & arraigned (10/4/19) with tampering with evidence involving the borrowed car from work colleague. Plead not guilty. $100K bond. Posted bond (on 9/5/19). Off GPS 4/6/23.
*Charged (1/7/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond. Bond reduced (1/8/20) to $1.5M & bonded out (on 1/9/20). Off GPS 4/6/23.
*Charged (8/28/20) with 2nd degree hindering prosecution, tampering with physical evidence & conspiracy to commit tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered yet. $500K bond. Posted bond. Off GPS 4/6/23.
Trial set to begin with jury selection on 10/4/23.
Trial set to begin on 1/8/24 (will last a month).
Judge Kevin Randolph presiding for trial.
Assistant State’s attorney Sean McGuinness & defense attorney Jon Schoenhorn.

Bond info & Court info from 6/3/19 thru 9/13/23 reference post #571 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-56.683382/page-29

9/25/23 Update: Judge Kevin Randolph says jury selection will still begin Oct. 4, then motions will continue being argued, with trial starting in January. Extra alternates will be chosen due to the multi-month wait between jury selection & trial. Extra alternates will be chosen due to the multi-month wait between jury selection and trial. Attorney Schoenhorn says he expects jury selection to take at least a month. Attorney Schoenhorn objected to the early start of jury selection & date of trial. Proposed the speedy trial be tolled until January so jury selection could start then. Or jury selection commence in October with trial to begin in November. The State objected. Want jury selection on 10/4/23 with trial beginning in January. Retired Connecticut State Police Sgt. Matthew Reilly told the judge that he served as the evidence officer the morning police searched the Farmington home of Troconis' former boyfriend Fotis Dulos. Reilly said as evidence officer, he chose which items would be seized including 20 digital devices during a search that occurred from 10am to 7:30pm. Schoenhorn is seeking to get certain items from the search thrown out before they are seen by a jury. On Tuesday, 9/26/23, attorneys are expected to argue about the motion to suppress evidence seized at the home. Before adjourning Monday, Randolph also pondered how the court will protect identifying information of potential jurors in jury selection.
9/26/23 Update: Attorneys in the Troconis case wrapped up arguments Tuesday in Stamford Superior Court on a motion from the defense to suppress all evidence seized at the Farmington home Troconis shared with Fotis Dulos when his estranged wife disappeared. Judge Kevin Randolph said he expects to issue a written ruling on this motion by 10/3/23. That’s the day before jury selection begins in the case, which is expected to take at least a month. The trial isn’t set to start until 1/8/24 because there are several outstanding motions regarding evidence suppression that still have to be argued. The judge has heard testimony on the search since mid-August with witnesses including law enforcement, Fotis Dulos’ former attorneys & Michelle Troconis’ mother. Randolph previously denied another motion to suppress evidence from the search based on an argument the warrant was overly broad & lacked probable cause. He still hasn’t ruled on whether police had the legal right to obtain all the electronic devices they took. Next motions hearing on 10/3/23. Jury selection set to begin on 10/4/23.
*Kent D. Mawhinney (54/now 58) – Murder: Judge John F. Blawie put the case on the trial docket. Hearing on 5/15/22.
2/23/22: Plead guilty to a charge of violating a protective order that stemmed from an incident involving his ex-wife. Sentenced for violation & assault on 6/17/22 was given a 5 year suspended prison sentence & 3 years of probation on a domestic violence charge.
*Fotis Dulos (52) – Committed suicide on 1/28/20 & declared dead at 5:32pm on 1/30/20. 3/3/20: Charges dismissed. The case against Dulos will be officially dismissed in about a year, unless the state decides to reopen it. 1/17/22: After debt, no money left in Dulos estate for children. While Fotis Dulos’ estate has $395,687 in assets, it owes $548,280.75 in expenses, according to Farmington Probate Court records. Attorney Christopher Hug will be paid $189,525 for settling the estate & attorney Paul
Knierim, who represented Hug, will receive $98,326, court documents show."

I thought this was vacated - but I guess not??

Tuesday, Oct. 3rd:
*Motions Hearing (@ 10am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Michelle C. Troconis (44/now 49) (Dulos’ GF) arrested & charged (6/1/19) & arraigned (6/3/19) with tampering with or fabricating physical evidence & hindering prosecution. Plead not guilty. $500K bond. Posted bond (on 6/3/19). These charges were dismissed (8/28/20) & recharged below.
*Charged (9/5/19) & arraigned (10/4/19) with tampering with evidence involving the borrowed car from work colleague. Plead not guilty. $100K bond. Posted bond (on 9/5/19). Off GPS 4/6/23.
*Charged (1/7/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond. Bond reduced (1/8/20) to $1.5M & bonded out (on 1/9/20). Off GPS 4/6/23.
*Charged (8/28/20) with 2nd degree hindering prosecution, tampering with physical evidence & conspiracy to commit tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered yet. $500K bond. Posted bond. Off GPS 4/6/23.
Trial set to begin with jury selection on 10/4/23.
Trial set to begin on 1/8/24 (will last a month).
Judge Kevin Randolph presiding for trial.
Assistant State’s attorney Sean McGuinness & defense attorney Jon Schoenhorn.

Bond info & Court info from 6/3/19 thru 9/13/23 reference post #571 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-56.683382/page-29

9/25/23 Update: Judge Kevin Randolph says jury selection will still begin Oct. 4, then motions will continue being argued, with trial starting in January. Extra alternates will be chosen due to the multi-month wait between jury selection & trial. Extra alternates will be chosen due to the multi-month wait between jury selection and trial. Attorney Schoenhorn says he expects jury selection to take at least a month. Attorney Schoenhorn objected to the early start of jury selection & date of trial. Proposed the speedy trial be tolled until January so jury selection could start then. Or jury selection commence in October with trial to begin in November. The State objected. Want jury selection on 10/4/23 with trial beginning in January. Retired Connecticut State Police Sgt. Matthew Reilly told the judge that he served as the evidence officer the morning police searched the Farmington home of Troconis' former boyfriend Fotis Dulos. Reilly said as evidence officer, he chose which items would be seized including 20 digital devices during a search that occurred from 10am to 7:30pm. Schoenhorn is seeking to get certain items from the search thrown out before they are seen by a jury. On Tuesday, 9/26/23, attorneys are expected to argue about the motion to suppress evidence seized at the home. Before adjourning Monday, Randolph also pondered how the court will protect identifying information of potential jurors in jury selection.
9/26/23 Update: Attorneys in the Troconis case wrapped up arguments Tuesday in Stamford Superior Court on a motion from the defense to suppress all evidence seized at the Farmington home Troconis shared with Fotis Dulos when his estranged wife disappeared. Judge Kevin Randolph said he expects to issue a written ruling on this motion by 10/3/23. That’s the day before jury selection begins in the case, which is expected to take at least a month. The trial isn’t set to start until 1/8/24 because there are several outstanding motions regarding evidence suppression that still have to be argued. The judge has heard testimony on the search since mid-August with witnesses including law enforcement, Fotis Dulos’ former attorneys & Michelle Troconis’ mother. Randolph previously denied another motion to suppress evidence from the search based on an argument the warrant was overly broad & lacked probable cause. He still hasn’t ruled on whether police had the legal right to obtain all the electronic devices they took. Next motions hearing on 10/3/23. Jury selection set to begin on 10/4/23.
*Kent D. Mawhinney (54/now 58) – Murder: Judge John F. Blawie put the case on the trial docket. Hearing on 5/15/22.
2/23/22: Plead guilty to a charge of violating a protective order that stemmed from an incident involving his ex-wife. Sentenced for violation & assault on 6/17/22 was given a 5 year suspended prison sentence & 3 years of probation on a domestic violence charge.
*Fotis Dulos (52) – Committed suicide on 1/28/20 & declared dead at 5:32pm on 1/30/20. 3/3/20: Charges dismissed. The case against Dulos will be officially dismissed in about a year, unless the state decides to reopen it. 1/17/22: After debt, no money left in Dulos estate for children. While Fotis Dulos’ estate has $395,687 in assets, it owes $548,280.75 in expenses, according to Farmington Probate Court records. Attorney Christopher Hug will be paid $189,525 for settling the estate & attorney Paul
Knierim, who represented Hug, will receive $98,326, court documents show."
Nope-still wrangling, and jury selection is supposed to start tomorrow. Any bets on whether or not that actually happens?

@MarissaAlter

BREAKING: Judge Randolph has ruled on Michelle Troconis’ motion to suppress all evidence seized during the search of the home she shared with Fotis Dulos at the time his estranged wife disappeared. Most of motion is denied with only privileged communications thrown out.

Randolph says the handwritten timelines from the day Jennifer Dulos disappeared—called “alibi scripts” by police—are admissible, supported by probable cause, and not considered privileged communicating. He also says the seizure of all electronics was not unreasonable.

In regards to the duration of the seizure of the home being unreasonable (four days), Randolph calls it “a close case” but says it was not unreasonable. And even if it was, suppression of all evidence isn’t warranted

Randolph also notes civil remedies are available to the defendant based on the long seizure of the home

@News12CT

@MarissaAlter

BREAKING: Judge Randolph has ruled on Michelle Troconis’ motion to suppress all evidence seized during the search of the home she shared with Fotis Dulos at the time his estranged wife disappeared. Most of motion is denied with only privileged communications thrown out.

Randolph says the handwritten timelines from the day Jennifer Dulos disappeared—called “alibi scripts” by police—are admissible, supported by probable cause, and not considered privileged communicating. He also says the seizure of all electronics was not unreasonable.

In regards to the duration of the seizure of the home being unreasonable (four days), Randolph calls it “a close case” but says it was not unreasonable. And even if it was, suppression of all evidence isn’t warranted

Randolph also notes civil remedies are available to the defendant based on the long seizure of the home

@News12CT
This went about as expected…I imagine even JS didn’t expect anything different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members