Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #56

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The judge said handwritten timelines from the day Jennifer Dulos disappeared - called "alibi scripts" by police - are admissible, supported by probable cause and not considered privileged communication. The judge also said the seizure of all electronics was not unreasonable. The judge said the four-day duration of the seizure was a "close call" as far as being unreasonable but ultimately was not - and that suppression of all evidence wouldn't be warranted even if it had been unreasonable. The judge noted that there are civil remedies available based on the long seizure of the home.

Mawhinney wants his ankle bracelet removed…I don’t think that is going to happen-at least, not yet.
That could be… bad timing… depending on how the trial goes. IMO

Also, looking at this article, maybe it slipped my mind that “Jennifer” was written at the top of the alibi script. Chilling.

Last edited:
@MarissaAlter

BREAKING: Judge Randolph has ruled on Michelle Troconis’ motion to suppress all evidence seized during the search of the home she shared with Fotis Dulos at the time his estranged wife disappeared. Most of motion is denied with only privileged communications thrown out.

Randolph says the handwritten timelines from the day Jennifer Dulos disappeared—called “alibi scripts” by police—are admissible, supported by probable cause, and not considered privileged communicating. He also says the seizure of all electronics was not unreasonable.

In regards to the duration of the seizure of the home being unreasonable (four days), Randolph calls it “a close case” but says it was not unreasonable. And even if it was, suppression of all evidence isn’t warranted

Randolph also notes civil remedies are available to the defendant based on the long seizure of the home

@News12CT
I'm pleased. I didn't want JLS to interrupt his record where he remains 1 to about yyy where he only prevailed in getting MT's ankle monitor removed after two years.

Mawhinney wants his ankle bracelet removed…I don’t think that is going to happen-at least, not yet.
I'd like to read more -- is there a Motion? The timing says it all -- he's getting ready to testify and what, trying to hold the monitor over the prosecution's head? We know why Fd and KM were friends!

Agree - Prob best to wait until after he testifies. Luckily his first attempt to cut the bracelet off failed. I have my fingers crossed that he is sober. Was that a condition of his parole if anyone remembers?

I'd like to read more -- is there a Motion? The timing says it all -- he's getting ready to testify and what, trying to hold the monitor over the prosecution's head? We know why Fd and KM were friends!
Yes. Marissa Alter on X:
Marissa Alter 10/3/23
“JENNIFER DULOS CASE: As Michelle Troconis inches closer to trial in connection to the disappearance & presumed death of Jennifer Dulos (see prior tweets today), the co-defendant in the case, Kent Mawhinney, has filed a motion to have his GPS ankle monitor removed. @News12CT”

I see that someone has already provided the information about the motion, so I won’t. Not at all surprised to know that he wanted this gone. Maybe it’s merely so that he can referee ice hockey games? No…

I see that someone has already provided the information about the motion, so I won’t. Not at all surprised to know that he wanted this gone. Maybe it’s merely so that he can referee ice hockey games? No…

I can hear the argument now -- how it will harm his credibility if he has to wear a monitor in court when he testifies... :rolleyes:

I can hear the argument now -- how it will harm his credibility if he has to wear a monitor in court when he testifies... :rolleyes:
Same way it does when they present a witness in court who is in a prison jumpsuit. I can also hear that argument coming…he is what he is, right? Even if he wears a suit and no monitor, JS will make him look like the that he is.

Agree - Prob best to wait until after he testifies. Luckily his first attempt to cut the bracelet off failed. I have my fingers crossed that he is sober. Was that a condition of his parole if anyone remembers?

from my notes:
5/15/23 Update: Judge Gary White lifted the house arrest on Monday for Mawhinney. Mawhinney granted conditional release; allowing him to visit his ailing uncle. According to his attorney, Mawhinney will now be able to travel throughout Connecticut but will have to wear an ankle bracelet to monitor his whereabouts. No trial date has been set for Mawhinney. At Monday’s hearing, Judge White ruled that Mawhinney would no longer need to serve house arrest. White also approved a request from Mawhinney to travel to Massachusetts on May 16 for a family-related event.

Wednesday, Oct. 4th:
*Jury Selection set to begin (@ 10am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Michelle C. Troconis (44/now 49) (Dulos’ GF) arrested & charged (6/1/19) & arraigned (6/3/19) with tampering with or fabricating physical evidence & hindering prosecution. Plead not guilty. $500K bond. Posted bond (on 6/3/19). These charges were dismissed (8/28/20) & recharged below. Dismissed on 8/28/20.
*Charged (9/5/19) & arraigned (10/4/19) with tampering with evidence involving the borrowed car from work colleague. Plead not guilty. $100K bond. Posted bond (on 9/5/19). Off GPS 4/6/23.
*Charged (1/7/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond. Bond reduced (1/8/20) to $1.5M & bonded out (on 1/9/20). Off GPS 4/6/23.
*Charged (8/28/20) with 2nd degree hindering prosecution, tampering with physical evidence & conspiracy to commit tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered yet. $500K bond. Posted bond. Off GPS 4/6/23.
Trial set to begin with jury selection on 10/4/23.
Trial set to begin on 1/8/24 (will last a month).
Judge Kevin Randolph presiding for trial.
Assistant State’s attorney Sean McGuinness & defense attorney Jon Schoenhorn.

Bond info & Court info from 6/3/19 thru 9/25/23 reference post #616 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-56.683382/page-31

9/26/23 Update: Attorneys in the Troconis case wrapped up arguments Tuesday in Stamford Superior Court on a motion from the defense to suppress all evidence seized at the Farmington home Troconis shared with Fotis Dulos when his estranged wife disappeared. Judge Kevin Randolph said he expects to issue a written ruling on this motion by 10/3/23. That’s the day before jury selection begins in the case, which is expected to take at least a month. The trial isn’t set to start until 1/8/24 because there are several outstanding motions regarding evidence suppression that still have to be argued. The judge has heard testimony on the search since mid-August with witnesses including law enforcement, Fotis Dulos’ former attorneys & Michelle Troconis’ mother. Randolph previously denied another motion to suppress evidence from the search based on an argument the warrant was overly broad & lacked probable cause. He still hasn’t ruled on whether police had the legal right to obtain all the electronic devices they took. Next motions hearing on 10/3/23. Jury selection set to begin on 10/4/23.
10/3/23 Update: Judge Randolph has ruled on Troconis’ motion to suppress all evidence seized during the search of the home she shared with Fotis Dulos at the time his estranged wife disappeared. Most of motion is denied with only privileged communications thrown out. Judge Randolph says the handwritten timelines from the day Jennifer Dulos disappeared—called “alibi scripts” by police—are admissible, supported by probable cause & not considered privileged communicating. He also says the seizure of all electronics was not unreasonable. In regards to the duration of the seizure of the home being unreasonable (four days), Randolph calls it “a close case” but says it was not unreasonable. And even if it was, suppression of all evidence isn’t warranted.
*Kent D. Mawhinney (54/now 58) – Murder: Judge John F. Blawie put the case on the trial docket. Last hearing on 5/15/22.
2/23/22: Plead guilty to a charge of violating a protective order that stemmed from an incident involving his ex-wife. Sentenced for violation & assault on 6/17/22 was given a 5 year suspended prison sentence & 3 years of probation on a domestic violence charge.
*Fotis Dulos (52) – Committed suicide on 1/28/20 & declared dead at 5:32pm on 1/30/20. 3/3/20: Charges dismissed. The case against Dulos will be officially dismissed in about a year, unless the state decides to reopen it. 1/17/22: After debt, no money left in Dulos estate for children. While Fotis Dulos’ estate has $395,687 in assets, it owes $548,280.75 in expenses, according to Farmington Probate Court records. Attorney Christopher Hug will be paid $189,525 for settling the estate & attorney Paul Knierim, who represented Hug, will receive $98,326, court documents show."

A very rough recap of some of the highlights of MT’s involvement in JFD’s disappearance

(please feel free to add/edit)

Fotis first met Michelle Troconis, a 42-year-old competitive water-skier originally from Venezuela, during a 2016 water-skiing trip to Miami with his children. She shared common interests (water and snow skiing). They quickly began a romantic relationship, MT moved from Florida to Connecticut with her daughter and became an employee of the FORE GROUP.

Jennifer found out about the affair in March 2017 and in June 2017 moved out of the family home and filed for divorce the day after that move.

Two years of unresolved divorce strife and mistreatment of JFD, FD realized the only way to unravel his surmounting financial debts (7 million +) was to gain access to his children’s trust fund money, so he allegedly killed his wife to have sole custody of their 5 children and their money which would seem to solve his financial situation.

The morning of May 24, 2019 Jennifer Farbor Dulos was allegedly murdered at her home in New Canaan.

On May 25th, FD declined to be interviewed by police or assist in the investigation, but he did hand over his phone, which proved to be invaluable to the investigation and to his demise. When MT was interviewed on her activities the morning of 5.24, she said she and Fotis woke up, showered together, and had sex. Troconis took her daughter to school, and when she returned to the house, she saw Fotis and Kent Mawhinney meeting in the home office around 8:15 a.m. At 8:24 a.m., one of Fotis’ friends called him on his cellphone from Greece. (Later learned from Homeland Security investigation of the friend’s phone that the call and Kent’s presence was prearranged the day before). This was all a ruse to appear that Fotis was in his home office and answered the call at 8:15.

That afternoon, Fotis and MT spent the afternoon shuttling back and forth between their home and another Fore Group property just two miles away. They claimed to be cleaning the house with Clorox, paper towels and garbage bags etc.

Later that evening (?), CCTV show FD throwing garbage bags into several trash cans and a cargo liner from JFD’s Suburban, license plates, knife? etc…10 miles aways from his home while MT was sitting in the passenger seat chatting on the phone (at times watching him toss trash bags). Police said they were able to recover some of the garbage bags and found a number of items soaked in Jennifer’s blood. Also, FD’s DNA on many items and MT’s DNA on three bags.

By August, Fotis’ alibi had unraveled (police had substantial evidence tracking Fotis’s whereabouts etc.). In a follow-up interview with police, Troconis then told them a new storyline that she actually did not see Fotis the morning of JFD’s disappearance and that only she and KM were in the home office. She answered the ringing phone from the call coming in from Greece (encouraged by Kent Mawhinney). Schoenhorn, MT’s new attorney disputes that she intentionally lied or misled the police. He said that she was confused and was challenged by the English language. KM also said that he did not see Fotis that morning.

It took over 7 months to pull together enough evidence to charge FD & MT (conspiracy to commit murder) on 1.7.2020. They had already been charged with tampering with evidence in September, 2019. On 1.28, 2020, FD was due back in court for an emergency hearing about revoking the bond, yet instead of heading to court, he choose to attempt suicide and a few days later, he died.

October 4th, Jury selection begins for MT’s trial. Trial scheduled January, 2024.

A very rough recap of some of the highlights of MT’s involvement in JFD’s disappearance

(please feel free to add/edit)

Fotis first met Michelle Troconis, a 42-year-old competitive water-skier originally from Venezuela, during a 2016 water-skiing trip to Miami with his children. She shared common interests (water and snow skiing). They quickly began a romantic relationship, MT moved from Florida to Connecticut with her daughter and became an employee of the FORE GROUP.

Jennifer found out about the affair in March 2017 and in June 2017 moved out of the family home and filed for divorce the day after that move.

Two years of unresolved divorce strife and mistreatment of JFD, FD realized the only way to unravel his surmounting financial debts (7 million +) was to gain access to his children’s trust fund money, so he allegedly killed his wife to have sole custody of their 5 children and their money which would seem to solve his financial situation.

The morning of May 24, 2019 Jennifer Farbor Dulos was allegedly murdered at her home in New Canaan.

On May 25th, FD declined to be interviewed by police or assist in the investigation, but he did hand over his phone, which proved to be invaluable to the investigation and to his demise. When MT was interviewed on her activities the morning of 5.24, she said she and Fotis woke up, showered together, and had sex. Troconis took her daughter to school, and when she returned to the house, she saw Fotis and Kent Mawhinney meeting in the home office around 8:15 a.m. At 8:24 a.m., one of Fotis’ friends called him on his cellphone from Greece. (Later learned from Homeland Security investigation of the friend’s phone that the call and Kent’s presence was prearranged the day before). This was all a ruse to appear that Fotis was in his home office and answered the call at 8:15.

That afternoon, Fotis and MT spent the afternoon shuttling back and forth between their home and another Fore Group property just two miles away. They claimed to be cleaning the house with Clorox, paper towels and garbage bags etc.

Later that evening (?), CCTV show FD throwing garbage bags into several trash cans and a cargo liner from JFD’s Suburban, license plates, knife? etc…10 miles aways from his home while MT was sitting in the passenger seat chatting on the phone (at times watching him toss trash bags). Police said they were able to recover some of the garbage bags and found a number of items soaked in Jennifer’s blood. Also, FD’s DNA on many items and MT’s DNA on three bags.

By August, Fotis’ alibi had unraveled (police had substantial evidence tracking Fotis’s whereabouts etc.). In a follow-up interview with police, Troconis then told them a new storyline that she actually did not see Fotis the morning of JFD’s disappearance and that only she and KM were in the home office. She answered the ringing phone from the call coming in from Greece (encouraged by Kent Mawhinney). Schoenhorn, MT’s new attorney disputes that she intentionally lied or misled the police. He said that she was confused and was challenged by the English language. KM also said that he did not see Fotis that morning.

It took over 7 months to pull together enough evidence to charge FD & MT (conspiracy to commit murder) on 1.7.2020. They had already been charged with tampering with evidence in September, 2019. On 1.28, 2020, FD was due back in court for an emergency hearing about revoking the bond, yet instead of heading to court, he choose to attempt suicide and a few days later, he died.

October 4th, Jury selection begins for MT’s trial. Trial scheduled January, 2024.
Pretty good! I believe there was evidence presented in court in the civil case against FD that he had been cavorting with MT as early as 12/15…taking her and her daughter on expensive trips, paid for by Jennifer.

Pretty good! I believe there was evidence presented in court in the civil case against FD that he had been cavorting with MT as early as 12/15…taking her and her daughter on expensive trips, paid for by Jennifer.
You're right about the moment that brought NP to frustration. 2014 has MT and FD traveling together with MT's daughter.

And, I am looking for it, but FD said his marriage was "over" in 2012 and I believe that there were pictures with MT, FD, and the children at a Skiing competition in 2014.

This is NOT the timeline MT, her family, or attorney want to present. I believe MT's divorce wasn't finalized until 2015.

Obviously, as I look for the confirming stories, this is my memory and opinion only...

You're right about the moment that brought NP to frustration. 2014 has MT and FD traveling together with MT's daughter.

And, I am looking for it, but FD said his marriage was "over" in 2012 and I believe that there were pictures with MT, FD, and the children at a Skiing competition in 2014.

This is NOT the timeline MT, her family, or attorney want to present. I believe MT's divorce wasn't finalized until 2015.

Obviously, as I look for the confirming stories, this is my memory and opinion only...
...“In my career I have never heard of a case where you pick a jury and wait two to three months for a trial, under any circumstances,” Schoenhorn said Tuesday.

The delay, he said, violates his client’s right to a speedy trial.

Schoenhorn said that the high profile nature of the Farber Dulos disappearance — which drew national media attention and inspired multiple television specials and a Lifetime movie — heightens the chances of a chosen juror being exposed to media coverage of the case before the trial starts.

“Because of the intense pretrial publicity involved in this case, and the ongoing publicity, in my opinion it will be impossible for jurors chosen now, in October, to avoid exposure to publicity about the case between now and January,” he said.

Schoenhorn added that he thinks the impending Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays create another opportunity for jurors to be exposed to other people’s opinions on the case as they spend time with family and friends in the months between jury selection and the trial.

Because she is accused of conspiracy to murder rather than murder itself, Troconis will be tried by a jury of six. Schoenhorn said he plans to ask for 12 jurors and hopes additional alternate jurors will be added.

Each prospective juror will be asked to review a list of 100 to 150 people who might be involved in the trial to confirm that they do not know any of those people. They will also be asked whether they have heard about the case before, Schoenhorn said...

Jury selection to begin in Michelle Troconis trial, four years after Jennifer Farber Dulos’ disappearance

Judge Kevin A. Randolph has announced five questions that the court plans to ask every perspective juror in the Michelle Troconis trial:
1. Have you heard about this case?
2. Do you regularly follow media reports of this case?
3. Have you made any social media posts about this case?
4. Have you formed an opinion on this case?
5. Can you follow court instructions to not follow media coverage of this case and agree not to do any independent research/investigating?

Judge Kevin A. Randolph has announced five questions that the court plans to ask every perspective juror in the Michelle Troconis trial:
1. Have you heard about this case?
2. Do you regularly follow media reports of this case?
3. Have you made any social media posts about this case?
4. Have you formed an opinion on this case?
5. Can you follow court instructions to not follow media coverage of this case and agree not to do any independent research/investigating?

Will be interesting to see who is disqualified from their answers.

Will be interesting to see who is disqualified from their answers.
As of right now before they resume at 2:30, and I bet most of the remaining 13 will have heard about the case and maybe they pick 1? This case was known nationwide for many. Interesting to see how it goes this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/MarissaAlter
@MarissaAlter

Morning session is gone for the day. Jury selection resumes at 2:30. So far they have excused 16 people and accepted 1 juror. 13 people are left in this pool to question.
@News12CT

https://x.com/MarissaAlter/status/1709593713725325454?s=20

As of right now before they resume at 2:30, and I bet most of the remaining 13 will have heard about the case and maybe they pick 1? This case was known nationwide for many. Interesting to see how it goes this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/MarissaAlter
@MarissaAlter

Morning session is gone for the day. Jury selection resumes at 2:30. So far they have excused 16 people and accepted 1 juror. 13 people are left in this pool to question.
@News12CT
@Cloudydiamond also under Marissa Alter's initial tweet I am seeing in her replies to herself that the judge expects the trial to last six weeks and the trial will have live streamed audio and visual /apologies if I missed that being posted already

As the judge is explaining jurors role and instructions, he says there will be live-streamed audio and video coverage of the trial.
@News12CT

Also new—while we knew the trial would begin Jan. 8, the judge said it’s expected to last six weeks. This is far shorter than what has been suggested by attorneys on the case.
@News12CT

JMO

I think this article may have a paywall. The only thing new to me was this quote from JFD's friend Carrie Luft. The rest is just a rehash IMO

"Carrie Luft, a longtime friend of Jennifer Dulos who has been a spokesperson for her family since the disappearance, said they were “relieved that the trial process is underway.”

“It is hard to believe that almost four and a half years have elapsed since Jennifer disappeared, and she still has not been found,” Luft said in a statement. “Every day, we miss her voice, her laugh, her gentle demeanor, her inner and outer strength, her insight, her guidance, her determination, her way with words, her love, her faith, her goodness. Many thanks to all who have helped to keep Jennifer’s memory alive.”

"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members