Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NEW: I sat in for an hour this AM on Day 5 of the hearing to suppress Michelle Troconis’ interviews with police at her upcoming trial in connection to the disappearance and presumed death of Jennifer Dulos. Things definitely got chippy between the state and the defense. @News12CT

Marissa has several tweets at this link from today JMO

Defense suppression hearing to be continued next week!

12/15/23

The cross examination of John Kimball was central in court – Troconis’ attorney making his case that investigators’ tactics were unconstitutional and invasive.

“She was detained in a way to overcome her will, and deprivation of her right to freedom after an arrest,” Jon Schoenhorn said in court Friday.

He centered a large part of his argument around the first arrest warrant. He argued it was not executed correctly, allowing investigators to attempt to coerce Troconis into making an incriminating statement or waive her right to council.

[..]

“The issue is whether the warrant was supported by probable cause, and was it executed in a constitutionally reasonable manner,” Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness said.

The state said it was supported by probable cause, and there was no plan in place to pin charges to Troconis or pry statements out of her.

Kimball’s testimony was then put on pause, allowing for testimony from Troconis’ first attorney when she was initially arrested – Andrew Bowman. The defense again arguing statements made during interviews should be suppressed because of coercive tactics. But the state maintains communication with Bowman was standard.

Troconis’ mother also testified, largely to demonstrate a language barrier that Michelle Troconis had at the time of the arrest.

“When she worked at ESPN what language did she report in?” asked attorney Schoenhorn. “Spanish,” replied Troconis’ mother. Schoenhorn follows with, “When she went to college or school in Venezuela, what language was that course taught?” Troconis’ mother replies, “Spanish.”

They also dove into the day before Troconis was arrested, her mother describing police officers remaining close by for their every move throughout the day on May 31, 2019.

“We went to the movies and two police officers came to the movies and sat next to us,” her mother said.

[..]

The suppression hearing is expected to head into next week, with more testimony from lead investigator Kimball.
Was the movie in English? Subtitles?

Was the movie in English? Subtitles?
I’d like to know in what language did she and Fotis communicate…in what language did she speak to her daughter’s teachers in CT? In what language was she speaking to the clients that she showed fabric samples to (when she needed that pesky ankle bracelet removed, because it impeded her client visits)? Of course she spoke in Spanish on the ESPN show-wasn’t that specifically for a Spanish audience?

From the article - I have also “gifted” it so there should not be any paywall

Schoenhorn is also looking to call attention to the moves made by Troconis' first lawyer, Andrew Bowman. Schoenhorn is maintaining that the lawyer, Bowman, mishandled the initial interactions with police and allowed her to sign a “notice of waiver of rights,” then speak with investigators following her arrest.

McGuinness emphasized that Bowman had over 40 years of legal experience in the field of criminal law.

jmho but comparing Bowman & Schoenhorn brought these two to mind:

1702818389169.jpeg
image from Facebook

Haven't watched in, ahem, decades, but I remember Rocket J. Squirrel as the brains of the operation and although Bullwinkle meant well....

And MT & KM, that's where some of us learned that there is just a one-letter difference between FRIENDS & FIENDS!

jmho ymmv lrr

@Laughing - one of my favorite TV shows! :D

So - in the article just posted (#66) - it says:

Judge Kevin Randolph said he would watch the third interview early next week & would hear oral arguments from Schoenhorn & Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness on Wednesday, [12/20/23 ]on whether or not that interview can be used as evidence.

From the article - I have also “gifted” it so there should not be any paywall

Schoenhorn is also looking to call attention to the moves made by Troconis' first lawyer, Andrew Bowman. Schoenhorn is maintaining that the lawyer, Bowman, mishandled the initial interactions with police and allowed her to sign a “notice of waiver of rights,” then speak with investigators following her arrest.

McGuinness emphasized that Bowman had over 40 years of legal experience in the field of criminal law.

I was wondering when JS would get around to calling AB “incompetent”

Monday, Dec. 18th:
*Suppression Hearing (@ 10am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Michelle C. Troconis (44/now 49) (Dulos’ GF) arrested & charged (6/1/19) & arraigned (6/3/19) with tampering with or fabricating physical evidence & hindering prosecution. Plead not guilty. $500K bond. Posted bond (on 6/3/19). These charges were dismissed (8/28/20) & recharged below.
*Charged (9/5/19) & arraigned (10/4/19) with tampering with evidence involving the borrowed car from work colleague. Plead not guilty. $100K bond. Posted bond (on 9/5/19). Off GPS 4/6/23. Stamford Norwalk
*Charged (1/7/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond. Bond reduced (1/8/20) to $1.5M & bonded out (on 1/9/20). Off GPS 4/6/23. Stamford-Norwalk
*Charged (8/28/20) with 2nd degree hindering prosecution, tampering with physical evidence & conspiracy to commit tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered yet. $500K bond. Posted bond. Off GPS 4/6/23. Stamford-Norwalk
Jury Selection began on 10/4/23 & ended 10/26/23. 6 jurors & 4 alternates. (6 men & 4 women).
Trial set to begin on 1/8/24 (will last a month, 3/1/24).
Judge Kevin Randolph presiding for trial.
Assistant State’s attorney Sean McGuinness & Michelle Manning & defense attorneys Jon Schoenhorn & Audrey Felson.

Bond info & Court info from 6/3/19 thru 12/6/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-11 (10/4-10/26/23) & thru 12/12/23 reference post #34 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...w-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-57.698903/page-2

12/12/23 Update: Judge Kevin Randolph has granted the motion from Troconis’ attorney to suppress the warrantless seizure of her cell phone on 5/31/19. The state argued exigent circumstances allowed for it. Randolph ruled exigent circumstances didn’t apply here. Troconis’ lawyer arguing statements made during her transport should be tossed out, because troopers attempted to coerce Troconis to waive her right to an attorney. Suppression hearing continues on 12/13/23.
For more info see posts #9, 10, 16 & 20 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-50-new-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-57.698903/
And more info on #21 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...w-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-57.698903/page-2

12/13/23 Update: In the Courts Memorandum of Decision of the Defense Motion to Suppress MT's cell phone from evidence, the Court further summarized some of the latest Defense Motions including the following which I found notable: 9/11/23-- Names of all CT State Police personnel who worked on the investigation of the defendant & all who are named in the CT Racial Profiling Prohibition Project 2023 Audit. In court Wednesday, Assistant state's attorney Sean McGuiness played footage from Troconis' first interview with police, which was done alongside her attorney at the time, Andrew Bowman. CT State Police Detective John Kimball testified. According to Kimball, who testified Wednesday, Bowman eventually informed police that Troconis “had no plans to speak with police.” However after two more visits with Troconis that afternoon, his then-client changed her mind & decided to speak with police. Over the next couple of days, footage from the video recordings of the three interviews is expected to be played during the suppression hearings as the case against Troconis heads toward trial next month. Suppression hearing continues on 12/14/23. See post #46 on page 3
12/14/23 Update: The prosecution scored a win on Thursday when Sschoenhrn withdrew the defense motion to suppress MT's August interview (#3), or at least a win when it comes to JLS stopping himself from wasting the parties time! Requesting the Court to suppress an interview where the defendant comes clean & tells authorities she was lying is a big insult to the Court & disrespect of the parties time! (per Seattle1). See post #55 page 3. Suppression hearing continues on 12/15/23.
12/15/23 Update: Defense suppression hearing to be continued next week! Testimony dominates fifth day of Troconis’ suppression hearing. The attorney for Troconis had his chance today to press the lead investigator. The cross examination of John Kimball was central in court – Troconis’ attorney making his case that investigators’ tactics were unconstitutional and invasive. “She was detained in a way to overcome her will, and deprivation of her right to freedom after an arrest,” Jon Schoenhorn said in court Friday. He centered a large part of his argument around the first arrest warrant. He argued it was not executed correctly, allowing investigators to attempt to coerce Troconis into making an incriminating statement or waive her right to council. Troconis’ mother also testified, largely to demonstrate a language barrier that Troconis had at the time of the arrest. See post #60 on page 3. The suppression hearing is expected to head into next week, with more testimony from lead investigator Kimball. Next suppression hearing continues on Monday, 12/18/23 @ 10am. Schoenhorn is also looking to call attention to the moves made by Troconis' first lawyer, Andrew Bowman. Schoenhorn is maintaining that the lawyer, Bowman, mishandled the initial interactions with police & allowed her to sign a “notice of waiver of rights,” then speak with investigators following her arrest. McGuinness emphasized that Bowman had over 40 years of legal experience in the field of criminal law. Schoenhorn argued on Friday during pretrial proceedings that police & prosecutors engaged in a "scheme" to intimidate his client into providing information on the whereabouts of Dulos, who disappeared from her New Canaan home & is presumed dead. Judge Kevin Randolph said he would watch the third interview early next week & would hear oral arguments from Schoenhorn & Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness on Wednesday, 12/20/23 on whether or not that interview can be used as evidence.

@Laughing - one of my favorite TV shows! :D

So - in the article just posted (#66) - it says:

Judge Kevin Randolph said he would watch the third interview early next week & would hear oral arguments from Schoenhorn & Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness on Wednesday, [12/20/23 ]on whether or not that interview can be used as evidence.

I'm wondering if the article missed JLS's announcement that he was withdrawing his request to suppress the third police interview.

Prosecutors are expected to show the remainder of the second interview Thursday afternoon. Schoenhorn withdrew his request to suppress her Aug. 13 interview Thursday morning.

12/18/2023

This notification is brought to you by the Connecticut Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification (SAVIN) Program.

This email is to inform you that MICHELLE TROCONIS, with docket number FST CR200241178T, has an upcoming court event.

A/An Hearing has been scheduled for 12/20/2023. This will take place in Stamford-Norwalk JD Courthouse located at the following address: 123 Hoyt Street, Stamford, CT.

Please be aware that there is often more than one case scheduled for a particular date in this court. Please visit www.jud.ct.gov to check for any updates that may be available on this case.

For more information, contact the Office of Victim Services at 1-800-822-8428. For updates about this case or for driving directions to the courthouse, you can visit www.jud.ct.gov.

12/18/2023

This notification is brought to you by the Connecticut Statewide Automated Victim Information and Notification (SAVIN) Program.

This email is to inform you that MICHELLE TROCONIS, with docket number FST CR200241178T, has an upcoming court event.

A/An Hearing has been scheduled for 12/20/2023. This will take place in Stamford-Norwalk JD Courthouse located at the following address: 123 Hoyt Street, Stamford, CT.

Please be aware that there is often more than one case scheduled for a particular date in this court. Please visit www.jud.ct.gov to check for any updates that may be available on this case.

For more information, contact the Office of Victim Services at 1-800-822-8428. For updates about this case or for driving directions to the courthouse, you can visit www.jud.ct.gov.
So nothing tomorrow? I wonder what is happening today?

12/18/2023

That is what I am wondering about - nothing today - Monday, 12/18? And next hearing on Wed. 12/20? ?? TIA! :)

I thought today was all about Andrew Bowman and Wednesday is oral arguements regarding the 3rd interview (which I thought JS dropped)? I'm confused as well. I guess we'll find out on the 5 o'clock local news.

STAMFORD — “You guys haven’t done anything, at least you haven’t,” Michelle Troconis’s mother told her as the two spoke over the phone while Troconis sat in an interview room at the New Canaan Police Department on June 2, 2019.

The brief exchange was caught on camera in hours of footage taken of Troconis in the wake of her arrest in connection to the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos in 2019.

The only new Tweet for the case today, 12/18, -- EXCEPT for the news link was from 4 days ago or last Thursday!

Nonetheless, to Momma Troconis, one would hope she could recall age old but very sound advice to impart to her daughter:

Here are three versions of a pertinent saying:

Show me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who you are. Tell me your company, and I'll tell you who you are.
By the company you keep I can tell what life you lead.

MOO

Dec 18, 2023

Witnesses have wrapped up testimony in a suppression hearing ahead of Michelle Troconis’ trial in January.

Troconis’ lawyer wants statements made in her interviews with police suppressed for the trial, arguing they were given because of coercive tactics and Troconis’ constitutional rights were violated. But investigators into the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos deny any wrongdoing, and maintain everything was relevant to the investigation.

“We have been checking out every aspect we can of your story and your story has some significant problems,” then-detective John Kimball said in Troconis’ second interview with police following her arrest in June of 2019.

Kimball wrapped up his testimony Monday with Troconis’s lawyer Jon Schoenhorn pressing him on tactics used in interviews.

[..]

The state maintains no harm by investigators was done, saying Troconis understood what investigators needed. Investigators' say their issue was with her changing story during the thick of the investigation.

“We noticed that her statements were providing alibis for herself and there were inconsistencies in her statements, which lead us to believe she was lying,” Kimball said.

When Kimball wrapped testimony, two more witnesses were called. The first was tossed out - the judge deciding he was irrelevant to the suppression hearing. The second, a state police sergeant in 2019 at the Litchfield troop L barracks.

[..]

The judge still must watch a third interview investigators conducted with Troconis back in August of 2019 and oral arguments need to be heard before he can make a decision on the motion to suppress the first two interviews.
Schoenhorn is hopeful for a decision on suppression by the end of the year.

@Niner
--Confirming Judge only needs a decision on the first two interviews (i.e., JS withdrew motion on 3rd police interview), and parties hope for a decision by the Court by year end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum