Still Missing CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #57

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 18, 2023

Witnesses have wrapped up testimony in a suppression hearing ahead of Michelle Troconis’ trial in January.

Troconis’ lawyer wants statements made in her interviews with police suppressed for the trial, arguing they were given because of coercive tactics and Troconis’ constitutional rights were violated. But investigators into the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos deny any wrongdoing, and maintain everything was relevant to the investigation.

“We have been checking out every aspect we can of your story and your story has some significant problems,” then-detective John Kimball said in Troconis’ second interview with police following her arrest in June of 2019.

Kimball wrapped up his testimony Monday with Troconis’s lawyer Jon Schoenhorn pressing him on tactics used in interviews.

[..]

The state maintains no harm by investigators was done, saying Troconis understood what investigators needed. Investigators' say their issue was with her changing story during the thick of the investigation.

“We noticed that her statements were providing alibis for herself and there were inconsistencies in her statements, which lead us to believe she was lying,” Kimball said.

When Kimball wrapped testimony, two more witnesses were called. The first was tossed out - the judge deciding he was irrelevant to the suppression hearing. The second, a state police sergeant in 2019 at the Litchfield troop L barracks.

[..]

The judge still must watch a third interview investigators conducted with Troconis back in August of 2019 and oral arguments need to be heard before he can make a decision on the motion to suppress the first two interviews.
Schoenhorn is hopeful for a decision on suppression by the end of the year.

@Niner
--Confirming Judge only needs a decision on the first two interviews (i.e., JS withdrew motion on 3rd police interview), and parties hope for a decision by the Court by year end.
This bit is all I could get from Advocate before paywall. But notice headline.

"· · STAMFORD — A defense lawyer for Michelle Troconis representing her against criminal charges involving the death and disappearance of Jennifer Dulos continued to focus on police tactics intended to get her to talk — often using deceptive and manipulative techniques and other forms of pressure, he emphasized.

The former lead detective in the case, John Kimball, spent his fourth day on the witness stand during pretrial discussions on what evidence and testimony may be used in the upcoming trial of Troconis, who is accused of covering up the murder of Jennifer Dulos, Fotis Dolus' estranged wife who disappeared in 2019. Troconic has pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit murder, two counts of conspiracy to tamper with physical evidence, two counts of tampering with physical evidence and second-degree hindering prosecution..."

"· · STAMFORD — A defense lawyer for Michelle Troconis representing her against criminal charges involving the death and disappearance of Jennifer Dulos continued to focus on police tactics intended to get her to talk — often using deceptive and manipulative techniques and other forms of pressure, he emphasized.

The former lead detective in the case, John Kimball, spent his fourth day on the witness stand during pretrial discussions on what evidence and testimony may be used in the upcoming trial of Troconis, who is accused of covering up the murder of Jennifer Dulos, Fotis Dolus' estranged wife who disappeared in 2019. Troconic has pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit murder, two counts of conspiracy to tamper with physical evidence, two counts of tampering with physical evidence and second-degree hindering prosecution..."
From the same article
“Randolph also decided that the question of "ineffective counsel" would not come up during the trial. Schoenhorn has argued that Troconis' previous lawyer, Andrew Bowman, erred in allowing her to speak with state police three times. The prosecutor, McGuinness, said it would be hard to make the case that Bowman, an experienced defense lawyer, mishandled the situation, and in any event, the issue was better suited for an appeals court after the criminal trial. The lawyers went through a number of procedural issues and case law before Randolph decided the legal decisions made by Bowman in 2019 would not be part of the criminal trial.”
Imo

Also from the quoted link:

The pretrial hearings are set to continue at 10 a.m. Wednesday. The hearing is set to be teleconferenced. Troconis did not attend the hearing in court Monday, but she is likely to attend the virtual session Wednesday, the court was told.

Also from the quoted link:

The pretrial hearings are set to continue at 10 a.m. Wednesday. The hearing is set to be teleconferenced. Troconis did not attend the hearing in court Monday, but she is likely to attend the virtual session Wednesday, the court was told.
I guess it’s too much to ask that she should be present when HER lawyer has arguments to make? She has something better or more important to do?

From the same article
“Randolph also decided that the question of "ineffective counsel" would not come up during the trial. Schoenhorn has argued that Troconis' previous lawyer, Andrew Bowman, erred in allowing her to speak with state police three times. The prosecutor, McGuinness, said it would be hard to make the case that Bowman, an experienced defense lawyer, mishandled the situation, and in any event, the issue was better suited for an appeals court after the criminal trial. The lawyers went through a number of procedural issues and case law before Randolph decided the legal decisions made by Bowman in 2019 would not be part of the criminal trial.”
Imo

I certainly get that JLS represents MT and is desperate to protect her interests but I think it's a pretty low blow for JLS to attack AB when he knows it was his crafty, arrogant, client who lied to police AND also lied to her attorney, A Bowman, who was at her side during all the interviews:

First, we know from MT's arrest affidavit that long before Attorney Bowman arrived at NCPD on Sunday after MT's late night arrest, he informed investigators that MT would not be speaking with authorities.

IMO, after AB arrived at NCPD, it was MT who against his advice, insisted she wanted to talk to Investigators. Per the golden rule of defense, for whatever reason you decide to speak to police, your are expected to be 100% honest. I don't doubt this was his stipulation with MT after she insisted she "wanted to cooperate" and had nothing to hide.

We know MT lied during her first two interviews not because she wanted to cooperate and was nervous or that police were allegedly using coercive tactics, but because she was desperate to keep her end of the conspiracy agreement to protect FD. And probably more important to MT, she believed she could dominate the room, say anything including the number of times and places she and FD engaged in sex on 5/24/19, because she was smarter than all the men in the interview room-- with or without an interpreter. JMO

From MT's 1/4/2020 arrest warrant (previously linked):
1703014414873.png

Last edited:
I guess it’s too much to ask that she should be present when HER lawyer has arguments to make? She has something better or more important to do?
IMO, She could not be there to witness JLS attack Bowman when she knows she was the one that defied Bowman's advice to remain silent, and when she insisted on cooperating, was advised to be 100% truthful.

Why does it say New Canaan CT under her name? As far as I know, she’s never lived there, or even been there (she definitely said she wasn’t there on 5/24/19)

And “economically independent”? Wasn’t she living in a house that was paid for by Jennifer Dulos, who also paid the property taxes and insurance? Wasn’t she driving a car that was paid for by Jennifer, since all of the money fD “made” as a “builder” came as a direct result of Farber money, which therefore paid for all of the vehicles? Once Jennifer left, there was no more money pouring into FORE Group, and MT didn’t have a job. She nay have gotten child support from GB, but that doesn’t make MT economically independent-it means she is dependent on her daughter’s father. It would not surprise me to know that Jennifer indirectly paid MT’s daughter’s school tuition. And who paid for her kid’s health insurance? Who paid for the food they all ate? She wasn’t working, and neither was fD-somebody paid for it, and it wasn’t either of them. I imagine that Gloria Farber was on the hook for a lot of that.

Last edited:
“Randolph also decided that the question of "ineffective counsel" would not come up during the trial. Schoenhorn has argued that Troconis' previous lawyer, Andrew Bowman, erred in allowing her to speak with state police three times. The prosecutor, McGuinness, said it would be hard to make the case that Bowman, an experienced defense lawyer, mishandled the situation,
^^rsbbm

You know, this really fires me up! I think all know that AB has a reputation of being a decent man, straight shooter, with both his clients and authorities. I think not only did he want to negotiate the best deal he could get for MT, a (real) cooperating witness, but I think he also wanted to help end the search for Jennifer.

At one point in the interview, AB even tries to steer MT to stop the BS and provide the facts about when she saw FD on the morning of 5/24-- if at all!

Investigators and prosecutors respect defense attorneys cut from this cloth, and I think had she listened to AB from day one, FD would be doing life, and MT would already be free to ski and hunt. MOO

Ref. MT's Arrest Warrant.

1703028385073.png

^^rsbbm

You know, this really fires me up! I think all know that AB has a reputation of being a decent man, straight shooter, with both his clients and authorities. I think not only did he want to negotiate the best deal he could get for MT, a (real) cooperating witness, but I think he also wanted to help end the search for Jennifer.

At one point in the interview, AB even tries to steer MT to stop the BS and provide the facts about when she saw FD on the morning of 5/24-- if at all!

Investigators and prosecutors respect defense attorneys cut from this cloth, and I think had she listened to AB from day one, FD would be doing life, and MT would already be free to ski and hunt. MOO

View attachment 469039
Yes, I completely agree with that possibility. Cooperation with AB might’ve led to a chain of events and contingencies resulting in swifter action and resolution. Truth tends to accelerate the process of just consequences, IMO.

Might’ve. Would’ve. Could’ve…

^^rsbbm

View attachment 469039
I think you are entirely right about AB. He knows exactly what MT’s potential fate would be, and believe he did exactly as you say. I can distinctly remember the look on his face in court, when she was arraigned in January 2020-he was upset for her. He knew that if she did not cooperate, they would have and should have charged her as a co-conspiritor. She was never going to cooperate, though-that was never part of the plan. Actually, I am not sure why AB was her lawyer in the first place. Where was JS from the beginning? Is he one of the guys you go to once you’ve been hit with the actual murder/accessory/conspiracy charge?

Yes, I completely agree with that possibility. Cooperation with AB might’ve led to a chain of events and contingencies resulting in swifter action and resolution. Truth tends to accelerate the process of just consequences, IMO.

Might’ve. Would’ve. Could’ve…

Exactly!

... And If MT had both a brain and a soul, she could have possibly avoided the additional tampering/hindering charges that came in Sept 2019-- after details of GP's Toyota came to light, and the ultimate, conspiracy to commit murder charge, filed in January 2020. Nope. No sympathy or mercy for MT now. JMO

I think you are entirely right about AB. He knows exactly what MT’s potential fate would be, and believe he did exactly as you say. I can distinctly remember the look on his face in court, when she was arraigned in January 2020-he was upset for her. He knew that if she did not cooperate, they would have and should have charged her as a co-conspiritor. She was never going to cooperate, though-that was never part of the plan. Actually, I am not sure why AB was her lawyer in the first place. Where was JS from the beginning? Is he one of the guys you go to once you’ve been hit with the actual murder/accessory/conspiracy charge?

IMO, AB was most likely a referral for MT obtained by FD. On the date they were cleaning/detailing the Toyota, they also consulted with AB-- around 5/27/19, right after Memorial Day weekend.

FD did the same for GP. When his Toyota surfaced on surveillance and LE came looking to speak to GP, FD first tried to keep him for talking to Investigators -- putting the "green card" fear in him, but when it did not work, FD provided him the name of an attorney. I believe GP said FD phoned somebody for the name -- maybe NP??

I think this attorney only attended GP's initial interview, and after that, GP was pretty much an open book with Investigators, and talked to them often and freely -- a real cooperating witness. MOO

FD and MT did confer with AB pre-arrest. It was on the day the Toyota was detailed, if I recall-but as it turned out, I don’t believe it was a good fit, if she had no plan to cooperate (and I believe that to be the case). I always wondered why fD didn’t sort out an attorney for himself first-after all, he knew he would need one, if MT needed one. It’s very suspicious that they visited AB prior to the arrest. And he hooked up PG with one initially, too-who referred him to Lindy Urso, by whom I believe he is well represented.

FD and MT did confer with AB pre-arrest. It was on the day the Toyota was detailed, if I recall-but as it turned out, I don’t believe it was a good fit, if she had no plan to cooperate (and I believe that to be the case). I always wondered why fD didn’t sort out an attorney for himself first-after all, he knew he would need one, if MT needed one. It’s very suspicious that they visited AB prior to the arrest. And he hooked up PG with one initially, too-who referred him to Lindy Urso, by whom I believe he is well represented.

Oops, I got the estimated date of the Toyota clean/detail and meeting with A Bowman incorrect -- the actual date was 5/29 and not 5/26. Regardless, the meeting was pre-arrest.

According to Michelle's AA, AB was MT's attorney at this time, and we've long known AB is who appeared for her at the NCPD on Sunday, 6/2.

Ref. MT's arrest warrant:

1703041235818.png
I also don't doubt that FD had always had a criminal attorney at his beck and call (to bounce questions off)-- shady people always have at least one around. I don't follow why OP thinks FD didn't have an attorney for himself prior to his arrest.. makes no sense to me.

I recall FD showed up at NCPD on Saturday, 5/25 with a lawyer when they confiscated his cell phone. This attorney was allegedly outside in the car park -- on his phone--probably talking to FD's unofficial criminal defense attorney. Besides, one doesn't typically hand over the big retainer check to the likes of NP until you need him to officially enter a Court appearance for you.

MSM below is the day all the heavy players showed up at AB's office (June 6) for MT's second interview with police. And this idiot continued to lie (not coming clean until 8/13 or the third interview).
IMO, the ingredients were all there on the table in clear view for her, and MT blew it.

IMO, MT alone got herself in this situation because she trusted FD instead of her attorney. MT simply didn't want to cross FD, and lose the dream she had for herself. At the time -- they'd also only been charged with tampering/obstruction charges.

How's it working for you, MT?

June 6, 2019

WESTPORT, Conn. (CBSNewYork) -- There's new information and what could be a major break in the case of missing Connecticut mother Jennifer Dulos, who is feared dead.

CBS2 was at the scene as investigators and the prosecutor showed up to interview a key witness.

[..]

Four Connecticut State Police officers arrived at the lawyer's office Thursday, carrying audio visual recording equipment - the same equipment they use to take statements from suspects, Aiello reported.

A short time later, Richard Colangelo arrived. He's the State's Attorney for the Stamford-Norwalk district, which is prosecuting the case and supervising the Dulos investigation.

1703041677049.png

[..]

Troconis was charged Tuesday with evidence tampering and obstruction for allegedly accompanying her boyfriend Fotis Dulos to Hartford to dispose of bloody evidence from the missing woman's home in New Canaan, Aiello reported.

[..]

Philip Russell is a renowned local attorney who has been watching the case closely. He says Troconis's attorney Andrew Bowman has one overarching goal.

"Damage control. He's mitigating the punishment likely to befall her," Russell said. "Clearly these people believe she has the key to the unknown and unproveable in this case. This is a major development."

Wednesday, Dec. 20th:
*Oral Arguments Hearing (@ 10am ET) – CT – Jennifer Rebecca Farber Dulos (50) (May 24, 2019, New Canaan; still missing) – *Michelle C. Troconis (44/now 49) (Dulos’ GF) arrested & charged (6/1/19) & arraigned (6/3/19) with tampering with or fabricating physical evidence & hindering prosecution. Plead not guilty. $500K bond. Posted bond (on 6/3/19). These charges were dismissed (8/28/20) & recharged below.
*Charged (9/5/19) & arraigned (10/4/19) with tampering with evidence involving the borrowed car from work colleague. Plead not guilty. $100K bond. Posted bond (on 9/5/19). Off GPS 4/6/23. Stamford Norwalk
*Charged (1/7/20) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond. Bond reduced (1/8/20) to $1.5M & bonded out (on 1/9/20). Off GPS 4/6/23. Stamford-Norwalk
*Charged (8/28/20) with 2nd degree hindering prosecution, tampering with physical evidence & conspiracy to commit tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered yet. $500K bond. Posted bond. Off GPS 4/6/23. Stamford-Norwalk
Jury Selection began on 10/4/23 & ended 10/26/23. 6 jurors & 4 alternates. (6 men & 4 women).
Trial set to begin on 1/8/24 (will last a month, 3/1/24).
Judge Kevin Randolph presiding for trial.
Assistant State’s attorney Sean McGuinness & Michelle Manning & defense attorneys Jon Schoenhorn & Audrey Felson.

Bond info & Court info from 6/3/19 thru 12/6/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-11 (10/4-10/26/23) & thru 12/14/23 reference post #70 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...w-canaan-24-may-2019-arrests-57.698903/page-4

12/15/23 Update: Defense suppression hearing to be continued next week! Testimony dominates fifth day of Troconis’ suppression hearing. The attorney for Troconis had his chance today to press the lead investigator. The cross examination of John Kimball was central in court – Troconis’ attorney making his case that investigators’ tactics were unconstitutional and invasive. “She was detained in a way to overcome her will, and deprivation of her right to freedom after an arrest,” Jon Schoenhorn said in court Friday. He centered a large part of his argument around the first arrest warrant. He argued it was not executed correctly, allowing investigators to attempt to coerce Troconis into making an incriminating statement or waive her right to council. Troconis’ mother also testified, largely to demonstrate a language barrier that Troconis had at the time of the arrest. See post #60 on page 3. The suppression hearing is expected to head into next week, with more testimony from lead investigator Kimball. Next suppression hearing continues on Monday, 12/18/23 @ 10am. Schoenhorn is also looking to call attention to the moves made by Troconis' first lawyer, Andrew Bowman. Schoenhorn is maintaining that the lawyer, Bowman, mishandled the initial interactions with police & allowed her to sign a “notice of waiver of rights,” then speak with investigators following her arrest. McGuinness emphasized that Bowman had over 40 years of legal experience in the field of criminal law. Schoenhorn argued on Friday during pretrial proceedings that police & prosecutors engaged in a "scheme" to intimidate his client into providing information on the whereabouts of Dulos, who disappeared from her New Canaan home & is presumed dead. Judge Kevin Randolph said he would watch the third interview early next week & would hear oral arguments from Schoenhorn & Assistant State’s Attorney Sean McGuinness on Wednesday, 12/20/23 on whether or not that interview can be used as evidence.
12/18/23 Update: Schoenhorn withdrew his request to suppress her Aug. 13 interview Thursday morning. Witnesses have wrapped up testimony in a suppression hearing. Schoenhorn is arguing statements made in the interviews shouldn’t make it to the full trial set to start Jan. 8. On the basis police lied to Troconis about evidence they had, mislead her on the timeline she had previously given them from the day Jennifer Dulos disappeared, and leveraged Troconis’ daughter & mother against her. The state maintains no harm by investigators was done, saying Troconis understood what investigators needed. Investigators' say their issue was with her changing story during the thick of the investigation. The judge still must watch a third interview investigators conducted with Troconis back in August of 2019 & oral arguments need to be heard before he can make a decision on the motion to suppress the first two interviews. Next hearing on 12/20/23 @ 10am. Judge Randolph also decided that the question of "ineffective counsel" would not come up during the trial. Schoenhorn has argued that Troconis' previous lawyer, Andrew Bowman, erred in allowing her to speak with state police three times. The prosecutor, McGuinness, said it would be hard to make the case that Bowman, an experienced defense lawyer, mishandled the situation, and in any event, the issue was better suited for an appeals court after the criminal trial. The lawyers went through a number of procedural issues & case law before Randolph decided the legal decisions made by Bowman in 2019 would not be part of the criminal trial. The pretrial hearings are set to continue at 10 a.m. Wednesday. The hearing is set to be teleconferenced. Troconis did not attend the hearing in court Monday, but she is likely to attend the virtual session Wednesday, the court was told.

Oops, I got the estimated date of the Toyota clean/detail and meeting with A Bowman incorrect -- the actual date was 5/29 and not 5/26. Regardless, the meeting was pre-arrest.

According to Michelle's AA, AB was MT's attorney at this time, and we've long known AB is who appeared for her at the NCPD on Sunday, 6/2.

Ref. MT's arrest warrant:

View attachment 469072
I also don't doubt that FD had always had a criminal attorney at his beck and call (to bounce questions off)-- shady people always have at least one around. I don't follow why OP thinks FD didn't have an attorney for himself prior to his arrest.. makes no sense to me.

I recall FD showed up at NCPD on Saturday, 5/25 with a lawyer when they confiscated his cell phone. This attorney was allegedly outside in the car park -- on his phone--probably talking to FD's unofficial criminal defense attorney. Besides, one doesn't typically hand over the big retainer check to the likes of NP until you need him to officially enter a Court appearance for you.

MSM below is the day all the heavy players showed up at AB's office (June 6) for MT's second interview with police. And this idiot continued to lie (not coming clean until 8/13 or the third interview).
IMO, the ingredients were all there on the table in clear view for her, and MT blew it.

IMO, MT alone got herself in this situation because she trusted FD instead of her attorney. MT simply didn't want to cross FD, and lose the dream she had for herself. At the time -- they'd also only been charged with tampering/obstruction charges.

How's it working for you, MT?

June 6, 2019

WESTPORT, Conn. (CBSNewYork) -- There's new information and what could be a major break in the case of missing Connecticut mother Jennifer Dulos, who is feared dead.

CBS2 was at the scene as investigators and the prosecutor showed up to interview a key witness.

[..]

Four Connecticut State Police officers arrived at the lawyer's office Thursday, carrying audio visual recording equipment - the same equipment they use to take statements from suspects, Aiello reported.

A short time later, Richard Colangelo arrived. He's the State's Attorney for the Stamford-Norwalk district, which is prosecuting the case and supervising the Dulos investigation.

View attachment 469073

[..]

Troconis was charged Tuesday with evidence tampering and obstruction for allegedly accompanying her boyfriend Fotis Dulos to Hartford to dispose of bloody evidence from the missing woman's home in New Canaan, Aiello reported.

[..]

Philip Russell is a renowned local attorney who has been watching the case closely. He says Troconis's attorney Andrew Bowman has one overarching goal.

"Damage control. He's mitigating the punishment likely to befall her," Russell said. "Clearly these people believe she has the key to the unknown and unproveable in this case. This is a major development."
I meant to say “I wonder why FD didn’t have a criminal defense attorney lined up for himself”-I don’t believe Jacob Pyetrancker is one, and imagine he just got pulled in for the visit to the police station. And look what that got for FD, anyway-a phone confiscation!

I meant to say “I wonder why FD didn’t have a criminal defense attorney lined up for himself”-I don’t believe Jacob Pyetrancker is one, and imagine he just got pulled in for the visit to the police station. And look what that got for FD, anyway-a phone confiscation!
For his first court appearance, AIR, FD was represented by Atty Eugene Riccio, who later withdrew from the case.

^^rsbbm

View attachment 469039

Remember, she did honor the advice of Bowman during the Farber vs Fore deposition and take the 5th all every single question. Did anyone ever confirm if she was on the deed for the 123 Hunter Drive, West Hartford property? She was clearly involved in hiding assets for the Fore Group, but not sure if this will come up on the criminal case. Maybe? Just enough to establish her crafty and nefarious capabilities and not necessarily under the Fotis Dulos Spell, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow