GUILTY CT - Peter Manfredonia, 23, suspect in two murders with a samurai sword, Willington, May 2020 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Likely scenario:

PM clearly has been dealing with some mental health issues that are known to family and friends. He was able to keep things mostly in check with his normal routines such as school, work (long time bouncer at the popular college bar), social interactions, family check-ins, etc. He had some "episodes" in the past, but was able to be "brought back to balance" with the daily responsibilities of life, some light intervention from those around him, and medication. Then COVID-19 hits and his "routine" and support systems is cut off. School and Work halted due to forced closings. His normal interactions were cut off due to social distancing measures. He essentially was locked down in his apartment for 10 weeks without his normal routine and support system to keep him in check. His family has not been in contact in a while and his father was just arrested a couple of weeks ago for alcohol and sex with a minor. His mental health likely spiraled quickly being "trapped alone" in his apartment and he likely went off his meds creating a monster.

The initial homicide in Willington seems to be an unfortunate "wrong time, wrong place" for the victim. <modsnip - edited to “PERHAPS’ > there is a female who lives on that street that he has been stalking and threatening He was there for her. The victim had no idea about this and saw a kid who looked like he needed help. The victim was helping him when PM just snapped and viciously attacked him (attack was gruesome and clearly indicative of the mental break PM had). As he was brutally attacking the victim, another elderly neighbor heard the victims cries and came to help--but was then also brutally attacked. Then <modsnip to dad ‘PERHAPS’ > the girl he was actually there to stalk came out and he jumped on his motorcycle and fled the scene (thus how the police knew who he was immediately). Notice here from a psychological perspective, he did not attack or harm the girl who he knew and was stalking--he did not harm her at all and fled immediately).

He then hid out and made a home invasion in the middle of the night. He stole food, guns, and a car. But the homeowner was not harmed at all. Seems weird to manically attack and cut off limbs of someone and then leave the next person completely unharmed. This is likely because it had nothing to do with one of his female obsessions. He stole the truck and then moved on to his next target, again a female.

The second homicide was about 100 miles away and again seems to be driven by a female obsession and the attack of those around her. While the focus in the media has been on the connection between PM and the victim NE--as they are both from Newtown and knew each other from High School. <modsnip> Notice that he abducted the woman and took her car--but eventually let her go absolutely unharmed. Just like the first incident, he was targeting a female, but did not harm the female at all--but manically killed the male barriers in the way.

To me, PM is a mentally unstable man who has had a complete mental breakdown. His focus is on his female obsessions and his victims are collateral damage. Notice he goes from manically attacking the males in his way around the female, but does not harm or attack either the homeowner of the house he invaded, nor anyone else at this point. If he was a manic random killer, you'd think he would have attacked someone else at this point.

If I am the FBI, I am cross referencing the UConn student database with females who live in Pennsylvania. That seems to be his MO.

Just my $0.02.
bumping this again because of the informative nature of this post.
Have a question: From the writing on his apt.
wall there was a date of July 2019 scribbled somewhere according to msm articles. Wouldn't this indicate his problems were escalating back then- 10 mo. ago?
not sure that's entirely accurate as another article quoted the landlord who said he'd lived in the apt. for 4 months.
Will his defense attys. be going for a "mentally
insane" defense?
will this decrease the amount of information released about his case as it proceeds through
the court system?

UConn ranked top PARTY School in US.

UConn Ranked a Top Party School in the US

could this have played a part in PM not graduating as scheduled last year?

Could this have played a part in PM using or abusing illicit drugs and alcohol?
To be fair, it would be quite an accomplishment for him to have graduated in four years with the double major he was pursuing.

To be fair, it would be quite an accomplishment for him to have graduated in four years with the double major he was pursuing.
I believe he was about ready to graduate soon, this Spring or Summer. I think I read it somewhere. Lots of students don't really graduate "on time" for many reasons.

Agree. I'm a prof at an R1 uni and teach in and adjacent to these subject areas. Quite a few engineering degrees, especially those with a pronounced applied or practicum element, can be what we call"5-year 4-year degrees" -- common for students to take a bit longer to complete them, even with summer registration. It is also common for students to experience major stressors during demanding degrees where workloads and expectations don't ever really abate, although this level of escalation is extremely rare.

bumping this again because of the informative nature of this post.
Have a question: From the writing on his apt.
wall there was a date of July 2019 scribbled somewhere according to msm articles. Wouldn't this indicate his problems were escalating back then- 10 mo. ago?
not sure that's entirely accurate as another article quoted the landlord who said he'd lived in the apt. for 4 months.
Will his defense attys. be going for a "mentally
insane" defense?
will this decrease the amount of information released about his case as it proceeds through
the court system?

I have no standing in this matter but I would imagine if he pleads guilty and there is no jury to be swayed by releasing details then I can't see why this would be gagged. I expect civil cases to ensue though about the culpability of the parents if they knew about his worsening condition and did not do the complete utmost to help. I really don't know though

I have no standing in this matter but I would imagine if he pleads guilty and there is no jury to be swayed by releasing details then I can't see why this would be gagged. I expect civil cases to ensue though about the culpability of the parents if they knew about his worsening condition and did not do the complete utmost to help. I really don't know though
________
Would his parent's culpability still exist even though he is 23 and not under their legal
guardianship? Can a parent of an over age child force medication or therapy on an aged out child? Don't think so. moo
Sounds to me like the warning earlier from an
?? attorney ?? asking for someone to come forward may be his drug dealer or provider.
Did PM get a bad batch of psycho drugs?
Did PM have a cohort supplying him w/
some bad stuff making him go psycho ??
Around here people warn others about Meth
making normal people go psycho and violent.
Weren't the Charles Manson killer crew on LSD? That's still around on college campuses.

This will be an interesting case to follow, for sure.

It seems like his psychological issues were not really a big surprise. I assume it's hard to have a adult child that needs medication and doesn't want to take it or forgets to take it. I don't feel like this was anyone's fault but Peter's, even with his issues and he will have to deal with the consequences.

Interesting article by a Clinical Psychologist
regarding Schizophrenia in the college student.
It was reported very early on by a teacher in Newtown that PM has Schizophrenia.

Dealing with onset of schizophrenia in young adult

There‘s some interesting insights in that article. I wonder if there’s a history of mental illness in his family.

I’m reminded of a YA book I read a few years ago called When Elephants Fly by Nancy Richardson Fischer.

It’s the story of Lily, a young woman genetically at risk for schizophrenia who avoids anything that might trigger the disease.

The one thing she knows for sure — her mom had schizophrenia, all of the women in her mom’s family experienced mental health conditions — is that she, too, will be struck down unless she lives a careful life. Lily develops a 12-Year Plan, a way to avoid triggers during the ages of 18 to 30, when the condition tends to manifest in women. No drinking, drugs, stress, or boyfriends. Basically, hide in place and try not to grow up. But is that truly living?

'When Elephants Fly': What Inspired My Young Adult Novel by Nancy Richardson Fischer

I can empathize with the fear of being genetically predisposed to mental illness — my mother has bipolar disorder and her mother had it too. Additionally, my dad’s brother had severe PTSD after fighting in Vietnam but they suspect he also suffered from schizophrenia. Talk about a genetic double whammy.

It can be scary for sure... but those of us who are aware of our genetic predisposition have advantages over those who aren’t aware. We know what can trigger these illnesses to manifest, and we can take action to avoid them.

For example—my mom is hyper vigilant about taking her medication because she watched her own mother suffer from manic episodes and knows firsthand how much the medicine can help. Similarly, I’ve watched my mom have manic episodes. (Although, I’m happy to say they have been few and far between because she’s careful with her medication. She’s only had a total of four episodes, and they’ve been spread out over 20 years or more.)

I know what to look out for and can take action when potential triggers pop up. If I have trouble sleeping, I’m at the doctor faster than you can say insomnia. If I feel super stressed out, anxious, or a little bit down, I make an appointment with my psychiatrist (whom I already see every 3 months for ADHD). I truly believe taking these precautions have kept me mentally healthy. But those who are unaware of their genetic predisposition don’t have this advantage.

There‘s some interesting insights in that article. I wonder if there’s a history of mental illness in his family.

I’m reminded of a YA book I read a few years ago called When Elephants Fly by Nancy Richardson Fischer.

It’s the story of Lily, a young woman genetically at risk for schizophrenia who avoids anything that might trigger the disease.

The one thing she knows for sure — her mom had schizophrenia, all of the women in her mom’s family experienced mental health conditions — is that she, too, will be struck down unless she lives a careful life. Lily develops a 12-Year Plan, a way to avoid triggers during the ages of 18 to 30, when the condition tends to manifest in women. No drinking, drugs, stress, or boyfriends. Basically, hide in place and try not to grow up. But is that truly living?

'When Elephants Fly': What Inspired My Young Adult Novel by Nancy Richardson Fischer

I can empathize with the fear of being genetically predisposed to mental illness — my mother has bipolar disorder and her mother had it too. Additionally, my dad’s brother had severe PTSD after fighting in Vietnam but they suspect he also suffered from schizophrenia. Talk about a genetic double whammy.

It can be scary for sure... but those of us who are aware of our genetic predisposition have advantages over those who aren’t aware. We know what can trigger these illnesses to manifest, and we can take action to avoid them.

For example—my mom is hyper vigilant about taking her medication because she watched her own mother suffer from manic episodes and knows firsthand how much the medicine can help. Similarly, I’ve watched my mom have manic episodes. (Although, I’m happy to say they have been few and far between because she’s careful with her medication. She’s only had a total of four episodes, and they’ve been spread out over 20 years or more.)

I know what to look out for and can take action when potential triggers pop up. If I have trouble sleeping, I’m at the doctor faster than you can say insomnia. If I feel super stressed out, anxious, or a little bit down, I make an appointment with my psychiatrist (whom I already see every 3 months for ADHD). I truly believe taking these precautions have kept me mentally healthy. But those who are unaware of their genetic predisposition don’t have this advantage.
Good question about the family genetics.
Could his father's recent arrest be connected?
Thanks for the personal info on this and it still
makes me wonder if drinking, drugs, stress all
contributed to his breakdown.
College, for a vulnerable young person, certainly has many potential triggers especially
for someone who doesn't control their own
problems.

Peter Manfredonia, a UConn student who is accused of killing two people in Willington and Derby and leading police on a multi-state manhunt, is back in Connecticut and will be arraigned this morning on several charges, including murder, Connecticut state police said Friday morning.
UConn Student to Be Charged With Murder; Bond Set at $5 Million

In Rockville Superior Court in Vernon awaiting the arraignment of Peter Manfredonia, who was extradited from Maryland.
State police to make announcement in case of UConn student charged with two murders
Peter Manfredonia is accused of killing two men, assaulting a third, and holding a fourth man hostage in Connecticut.
ctpost.com
10:20 AM · Jun 12, 2020
@ethanfry
He’ll be arraigned here on charges of murder, attempted murder, home invasion, kidnapping, first-degree robbery, first-degree larceny, two counts of stealing a firearm, and assaulting an elderly person.

Those charges relate to charges in Willington. He’ll be arraigned next week in connection to charges in Derby, where he allegedly killed Nicholas

Manfredonia’s lawyer, Michael Dolan, is at the courthouse waiting for the arraignment. He said no one from Manfredonia’s family is here.

Arraignment about to begin — due to Covid-19, only one newspaper reporter,

@daowens of the Hartford Courant, is allowed in the courtroom and will share a pool report
Arraignment just ended, lasted about 10 minutes. Waiting for Dolan to speak outside courtroom. Bond set at $7 million

Dolan said prior to the arraignment he was anxious to review the evidence. Will see if he says anything else when he leaves the courthouse.
Manfredonia will be back in court July 10. He’s been out in a mental health and suicide watch, which his lawyer requested.
There were victims in the courthouse watching proceedings via videoconference.

Peter Manfredonia bond upped to $7M, held on suicide watch
Peter Manfredonia bond upped to $7M, held on suicide watch
Defense attorney Michael Dolan requested his client be placed on suicide and mental health watch while he’s held in jail.
Dolan, who said his client will eventually plead not guilty to the charges, declined to comment after the hearing whether he was pursuing a mental health defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3
Back