Darlie Routier asks for DNA testing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lois Nadean Smith was executed in Oklahoma in 2001. She tried the 'below average IQ' and 'organic brain damage' defenses after her conviction. That was BS. I knew Nadean, her son, and her victim.

Really??? Dish!!! (please).:)

Really??? Dish!!! (please).:)

The crime took place on July 4, 1982. Nadean was an LPN in a nursing home that I worked in when I was younger. She was also the girlfriend of my best friend's brother at the time of the crime. All my interactions with her were perfectly ordinary. There was never any indication that she was 'slow' or had below average intelligence. She seemed no different than many women that I knew. She was friendly, funny, no indication of anything sinister, BUT after the murder I heard lots of stories about Nadean when she was younger. Supposedly when she was younger, she ran around with some pretty rough girls and they enjoyed bullying others in some pretty horrific ways - hence her nickname, Mean Nadean.

Her son, Greg, was involved in a lot of drug activity. Cindy, the victim, was a beautiful girl but was unfortunately involved with some pretty unsavory characters around town.

Here is a link that details the crime:

http://altlaw.org/v1/cases/1367267

The crime took place on July 4, 1982. Nadean was an LPN in a nursing home that I worked in when I was younger. She was also the girlfriend of my best friend's brother at the time of the crime. All my interactions with her were perfectly ordinary. There was never any indication that she was 'slow' or had below average intelligence. She seemed no different than many women that I knew. She was friendly, funny, no indication of anything sinister, BUT after the murder I heard lots of stories about Nadean when she was younger. Supposedly when she was younger, she ran around with some pretty rough girls and they enjoyed bullying others in some pretty horrific ways - hence her nickname, Mean Nadean.

Her son, Greg, was involved in a lot of drug activity. Cindy, the victim, was a beautiful girl but was unfortunately involved with some pretty unsavory characters around town.

Here is a link that details the crime:

http://altlaw.org/v1/cases/1367267

Wow!!!! I'll check out your link. Thanks.

From juniordetective: The person you are thinking of who was executed in 1992 and whose DNA was tested in 2006, which resulted in him being conclusively found guilty is Roger Keith Coleman. The case was in Virginia. Someone broke into the home of Wanda McCoy, Coleman's sister-in-law, in 1981, and raped and brutally murdered her. By the time that Coleman's DNA was tested with some of the latest techniques in 1990, the tests showed that his DNA was within 2 percent of the population that could have committed the crime. Coleman protested his innocence to the very end. Time Magazine did put him on its cover shortly before his execution with a caption that said something to the effect of "this man might be innocent" and "this man is scheduled to die." You can check the Wikipedia entry and see the infamous Time Magazine cover, which was printed when it was painfully obvious that Coleman was guilty. Right at the end, Coleman was given a lie detector test, and he failed it. His attorneys assumed he was innocent because he told them he was innocent; his attorneys always assumed that if they worked hard enough they could prove that Coleman was innocent. Indeed, they were so focused on winning and nothing else that one of them had to settle a defamation suit because the attorney had insisted that a certain other person, not Coleman, had committed the crime. Even after Coleman was executed, people continued to insist he was innocent. One of the people who insisted was a priest who looked into innocence claims. In 2006, Governor Mark Warner had the DNA tested and everybody held their breath because the test was supposed to show that Coleman was indeed innocent. When Warner got the results, he called the priest and told him that the test had placed Coleman within .2 percent of the population that committed the crime. The priest reluctantly conceded he had been duped. A woman who Coleman met while Coleman was in prison and who married Coleman was one of the last people to give up, and even then she stated that she did not consider the guy in prison to be the same guy who committed the crime. The attorney who was sued for defamation apparently still believes that Coleman is innocent even though there is no support for that position. One important lesson of the Coleman case is that while you can note the client's position--Coleman said he was innocent, Darlie said there was an intruder--you can't buy hook, line, and sinker into what they say because these people are very good at manipulating others. What you have to do is look at what the evidence tells you and place it into as much context as possible by considering other cases and the pattern those other cases reveal relative to the circumstances of the case you are investigating. The problem in the Coleman case was people believed he was innocent because he said he was. People believe Darlie is innocent because she says she is. In each case, the evidence tells a much different story.

You're welcome. No, it doesn't mean that she'll be getting a date. This is only to do with the DNA issues right now. The higher court could always override the lower court and order the tests to be conducted, although I don't believe they will. If Darlie's team can prove to them that their request to the lower court was valid, the higher court could agree and tell them they will hold the case in further abeyance while their issues are being appealed. The defense could also just ask for more time and with a good enough reason, the courty would likely grant it. I can't remember off the top of my head what other issues are out there that need to be dealt with, so forgive me not being able to give you a complete answer!

How long do you think she has? After all of this is settled, that is.

How long do you think she has? After all of this is settled, that is.

The normal time on death row in Texas prior to execution is from 10 to 18 years. So, its hard to say for Darlie. I copied this snippet and hope it helps:

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice "The judge presiding over a capital punishment case sets the date of execution for a death row offender when it appears that appeals in the case have been exhausted. When TDCJ receives a warrant of execution from the court, we add the offender's name to the list of scheduled executions, scheduling the execution on the date ordered by the court."

Now that's not to say that once she's given a date that's it. She could receive one or more stay of execution and there's always those last minute Hail Mary's that defense attorneys go for.

I don't believe our legal system is nearly as broken as some people think either. Surely, its not perfect; however, the resources, time, money, effort and other precations in place give those on death row with numerous opportunities to prove their convictions should be overturned. People have been let off of death row who have been proven to be innocent, but how many can any of us name who were executed? I can't think of one.

Gary Graham - evidence found to prove his innocence 1993, Texas executed him on 22 june 2000.
Heres link to page if youd like to read bout it yourselves p128 onwards - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NiXm_7mA9VQC&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=gary+graham&source=web&ots=4dDsKlGLXM&sig=PZll0FvY4Fa5dpBQ0WKfTlYL1pU&hl=en#PPA129,M1
(you'll have to copy/paste link)
This is just one case there are and will continue to be far more.

Gary Graham - evidence found to prove his innocence 1993, Texas executed him on 22 june 2000.
Heres link to page if youd like to read bout it yourselves p128 onwards - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NiXm_7mA9VQC&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=gary+graham&source=web&ots=4dDsKlGLXM&sig=PZll0FvY4Fa5dpBQ0WKfTlYL1pU&hl=en#PPA129,M1
(you'll have to copy/paste link)
This is just one case there are and will continue to be far more.

No thanks.

Where did this DNA come from that Darlie wants tested? Where was it found? I haven't followed every aspect of this case so thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :blowkiss:

Where did this DNA come from that Darlie wants tested? Where was it found? I haven't followed every aspect of this case so thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :blowkiss:

Hey Daisy - Darlie wants to retest the same evidence with the "new" DNA technologies if I am not mistaken.

Wasn't there also a coupla new items???

Now that you said that I remember them wanting to test a pubic hair that was never tested. I can't think of anything else. I thought that they wanted to retest the so called "unidentified" fingerprint from the utility door and the glass coffee table.

Yes, on her website it mentions new testing that could detect DNA from host oils even though it is mixed with the victim's blood.

Who wants to bet whose DNA would be detected in those host oils??:rolleyes:

I saw it and also thought it was odd that he was so "touchy feely". I thought that Wanda Jean was really working him and had him fooled.

Yes, she was good at wasn't she? I remember feeling she wasn't that cognivitely challenged as they first made out she was.

Now that you said that I remember them wanting to test a pubic hair that was never tested. I can't think of anything else. I thought that they wanted to retest the so called "unidentified" fingerprint from the utility door and the glass coffee table.

I believe the ph was tested. They want to retest it with the updated dna technologies.

Don't they want Darin's jeans? And the coffee table print, the utility door print was not listed.

I believe the ph was tested. They want to retest it with the updated dna technologies.

Don't they want Darin's jeans? And the coffee table print, the utility door print was not listed.

Hey Cami - are you saying they never tested either of those prints? I thought they had tested these and they were "inconclusive". I also thought they had tested Darin's jeans.

Hey Cami - are you saying they never tested either of those prints? I thought they had tested these and they were "inconclusive". I also thought they had tested Darin's jeans.

There were not enough "points" on the fingerprints, from what I understood" to be able to compare them with anyone. I'm not sure about Darin's jeans.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OkCujo98
Back