Darlie Routier's Appeals & Court Rulings

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
HeartofTexas said:
I'm not an expert on this but I don't think it's considered double jeopardy. The newspapers here in Dallas, at the time of her trial, talked about the fact that she could be tried again for Devon's murder if they failed in their attempt to convict her on Damon's murder.
You're right, it's not double jeopardy. Totally different murder. The evidence would probably be the same, but the charge would not be. She has been convicted of murdering Damon only.
I often wonder why the DA didn't do that with OJ. They could have, right?

Mama-cita said:
Yeah, I figured it out now. I thought I was the bad speller. Y'all know my Math sucks. That's why I've only raised 87 cents for my "Buy the Routier house and convert it into a memorial gardens plan." I tried to balance the checkbook ONCE, now I am not allowed near it anymore.
And sumtymes me speling isn't so grate. But I tryed really heard at my schooling and I done finished that "Hook on Fonics" prograham.
Oh yeah, I forgot you were the one who only raised 87 cents for the memorial gardens plan. LOL

Goody said:
Am I missing something or do you have a problem with Jeana that predates my WS origins?
Well, it seems to have started on page 4 of this thread. Unless there was something another time. Check it out

Goody said:
The evidence against her for Devon's death was weaker since his blood was not found on the knife. Personally, I have thought they held back on Devon because they believe Darin participated in some way and just can't prove it. Someday they may be able to bring charges against him as well. And like Jeana says, Devon is like their Ace in the hole. If anything goes wrong with Damon's conviction, they still have Devon's to bring to trial. I can't imagine that happening but it is a safeguard.
As Jeana said, holding back on the charge for Devon gives them another shot at Darlie. I don't think the evidence against her killing Devon is any less, perhaps more so. I think Darin was downstairs when Damon was "finished off" and that he possibly even made the final blow. They chose Damon first because his murder was an automatic capital case.

Spellllimg"

When it comes to 'spelling' here at WS I find no one really gives anyone a hard time about it UNLESS it is within an insulting or rude post. :twocents:

Then it's sort of like :doh: should have read the post over before hitting that submit reply bar!!

Jeana, you're a very fair and direct mod. Thanks.

Jubie

cami said:
I didnt' think it was that actually at first. I thought they held back on Devon in case she was found not guilty on Damon, they would try her for Devon's murder. But they wouldn't do that would they? Is that considered double jeopardy?
No. Trying her twice for Damon's murder and convicting her twice would be double jeopardy unless the first conviction was overturned and remanded for new trial. Devon's trial would be a brand new case.

beesy said:
You're right, it's not double jeopardy. Totally different murder. The evidence would probably be the same, but the charge would not be. She has been convicted of murdering Damon only.
I often wonder why the DA didn't do that with OJ. They could have, right?
Yes, but they literally had a mountain of evidence against OJ. Most trials have nowhere near as much physical evidence as they had against him. It is amazing that Johnny C was able to muddy the waters so thoroughly but he sure did. I think if the prosecution had presented ALL the evidence they had, like the Bronco chase, the suicide note, the Faye Resnick stuff, and that one eye witness if she was any good at all who said she saw him driving away from the scene irratically that night, they might have gotten a guilty verdict in spite of the racial problems in the case.

beesy said:
As Jeana said, holding back on the charge for Devon gives them another shot at Darlie. I don't think the evidence against her killing Devon is any less, perhaps more so. I think Darin was downstairs when Damon was "finished off" and that he possibly even made the final blow. They chose Damon first because his murder was an automatic capital case.
According to Texas statute, capital murder applies to cases in which more than one person is killed in the same event. Two people were murdered that night, so that should be as automatic as the child under 6 thing.

Goody said:
According to Texas statute, capital murder applies to cases in which more than one person is killed in the same event. Two people were murdered that night(are you sure about that..hee), so that should be as automatic as the child under 6 thing.
ok, but once they made the decision to hold back one charge, then Damon was the obvious choice.

Goody said:
Yes, but they literally had a mountain of evidence against OJ. Most trials have nowhere near as much physical evidence as they had against him. It is amazing that Johnny C was able to muddy the waters so thoroughly but he sure did. I think if the prosecution had presented ALL the evidence they had, like the Bronco chase, the suicide note, the Faye Resnick stuff, and that one eye witness if she was any good at all who said she saw him driving away from the scene irratically that night, they might have gotten a guilty verdict in spite of the racial problems in the case.
Just one thing before The Boss smacks our hands, you never, ever give the defendant control of evidence, i.e. the glove. Nobody thought "it might not fit"? I have alot of respect for Mark Furmon now. He's helped renew interest in cold cases. IF he hadn't lied about using the "N" word, all the race card crap wouldn't even exsist. I don't know why he lied. As a cop in LA, there were probably many times he felt like saying it, most likely out of frustration the way you'd say the "F" word. Isn't it funny the "N" word is more forbidden than the "F" word?
Since the DA didn't submit all of the evidence, together with all of the other reams of mistakes they made, knowing they blew the dang thing, they could have learned from that, and maybe maybe gotten him for Ron. So, if it was possible to hold back a charge like the DA did in Darlie's trial, they should have. Johnny was good, but the DA handed him his defense on a silver platter.

Goody said:
That's nice, Heart. You are pretty nice yourself. :blowkiss:
psst.....that was to me,
LOL, only kidding, but her first sentence was!

beesy said:
Just one thing before The Boss smacks our hands, you never, ever give the defendant control of evidence, i.e. the glove. Nobody thought "it might not fit"? I have alot of respect for Mark Furmon now. He's helped renew interest in cold cases. IF he hadn't lied about using the "N" word, all the race card crap wouldn't even exsist. I don't know why he lied. As a cop in LA, there were probably many times he felt like saying it, most likely out of frustration the way you'd say the "F" word. Isn't it funny the "N" word is more forbidden than the "F" word?
Since the DA didn't submit all of the evidence, together with all of the other reams of mistakes they made, knowing they blew the dang thing, they could have learned from that, and maybe maybe gotten him for Ron. So, if it was possible to hold back a charge like the DA did in Darlie's trial, they should have. Johnny was good, but the DA handed him his defense on a silver platter.

Yeah and he had Ito to help him when the prosecution didn't.

beesy said:
ok, but once they made the decision to hold back one charge, then Damon was the obvious choice.
I would agree to that. If you seperate the murders, Damon would be the wisest choice to prosecute.

beesy said:
I don't agree. Guess we'd better take it to the OJ thread but I think JC got away with so much in that trial that he would never get away with in most. He won because he was very, very good at camouflaging the issues with lots of drama and BS. The state made mistakes but if the defendant had been some poor Latino or the son of factory worker, he would have been convicted on what they had, in spite of their mistakes. It was only because of JC and the OJ's celebrity that he got off. I think the public was more concerned about the "N" word than the jury. In fact, they said so afterwards. They didn't even know about most of what was on those tapes,and were shocked when the trial was over that people thought that is what convinced them to acquit.

As for the differences between the "N" word and the "F" word, I can see why people would consider the former the worst of the two. It denegrates people, whereas the "F" word insults only our moral consciousness. I can relate it a little to protestants calling Catholics idol worshippers or pagans, which I have heard many times. (And, yes, it frosts my behind.) As bad as that makes me feel, I would imagine being called a "N" would be 100 times worse. And of course we can all relate to being called crack *advertiser censored*. LOL!

Goody:I don't agree. Guess we'd better take it to the OJ thread but I think JC got away with so much in that trial that he would never get away with in most
Nah, let's just keep going til I get my normal :slap: LoL..you're right Johnny did get away with "murder" ha ha during that trial. However, the prosecution didn't help themselves a whole heck of a lot.
He won because he was very, very good at camouflaging the issues with lots of drama and BS. The state made mistakes but if the defendant had been some poor Latino or the son of factory worker, he would have been convicted on what they had, in spite of their mistakes

Oh, of course the "Dream Team" twisted everything they could. And I will concede that even with all the mistakes, any other person would be sitting in jail right now. But, the prosecution did not seem to get that. They should have been more prepared to fight that team than they were. The prosecution acted as if they were fighting a regular fight and they weren't.
It was only because of JC and the OJ's celebrity that he got off. I think the public was more concerned about the "N" word than the jury. In fact, they said so afterwards. They didn't even know about most of what was on those tapes,and were shocked when the trial was over that people thought that is what convinced them to acquit

Ok, it's not so much that Furmon said the "N" word, it's that the tapes proved he was a liar. Johnny accused Furmon of planting that glove. He managed to twist one lie Furmon told into everything he said was a lie. So even though the jury did not focus on the tape, Johnny used it to turn Furmon into a racist who would break the law to catch an "N" word. You have to admit, letting OJ try on that glove was foolish. It left it open that Furmon could have planted it(I know he didn't) and then of course gave Johnny his famous tag line.

As for the differences between the "N" word and the "F" word, I can see why people would consider the former the worst of the two. It denegrates people, whereas the "F" word insults only our moral consciousnes

Yeah, I know WHY its worse, I just find it intersting. Even with my potty mouth, I don't dare utter that word!
I can relate it a little to protestants calling Catholics idol worshippers or pagans, which I have heard many times. (And, yes, it frosts my behind.) As bad as that makes me feel, I would imagine being called a "N" would be 100 times worse. And of course we can all relate to being called crack *advertiser censored*. LOL!

um, sorry Goody, but I can't relate to being a crack *advertiser censored* or our favorite, "white trash" or "trailer trash". Similar remarks, but I can say them. I can't say the "N" word.

cami said:
Yeah and he had Ito to help him when the prosecution didn't.
nevermind, I forgot who Ito was for a second! :blushing:

beesy said:
Yeah, I know WHY its worse, I just find it intersting. Even with my potty mouth, I don't dare utter that word!

um, sorry Goody, but I can't relate to being a crack *advertiser censored* or our favorite, "white trash" or "trailer trash".
You must not watch South Park. hahahahahaha! (I don't either but TJ does so I 'hear" it in the background.

Goody said:
You must not watch South Park. hahahahahaha! (I don't either but TJ does so I 'hear" it in the background.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that! I was thinking "what the "

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe
Back