GUILTY DC - David Messerschmitt, 30, murdered in Washington hotel room, 9 Feb 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read through the whole thread and because there was some confusion about the timeline earlier I thought I'd set down a very brief one here based on the information from this article: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/1...death-young-attorney-inside-washington-hotel/

Monday 2/9/15
sometime after 5pm Messerschmitt checked into a room at the Hotel Donovan
at 7:34pm his wife received a text from him saying he'd be home in about an hour

Tuesday 2/10/15

at 1:50am his wife reported him missing (so, about 6 hours after she received the text)
later that morning he was found dead in the hotel room.

I don't know why the Daily Mail and other sources say he was found 24 hours after he was reported missing. I tend to believe the source above and these two which give a fairly specific time that she reported him missing: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...s-Circle-Hotel-Tuesday-Donovan-291455771.html and http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5c6bf6-b2ad-11e4-886b-c22184f27c35_story.html

There was also an earlier article that stated his wife hadn't seen him since Sunday and indicated he left for work that day. Perhaps it was a reporting error.

As information, large law firms in DC primarily work as lobbyists for their clients. Increasingly, the serve as de facto government functionaries doing research, writing or changing regulations and writing legislation for passage in Congress. Members of Congress and other government officials actually do very little of this work themselves. These law firms work in teams with in house attorneys like the victim doing research, planning and writing while in house lobbyists make the face to face calls on The Hill, etc.

According to Open Secrets.org, DLA Piper spent about $8 million last year on face to face lobbying activities for their clients.

Below is a link to information about their lobbying activities in 2014

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/firmagns.php?id=D000021569&year=2014

This may not have had anything to do with his murder, but gives some background about his work and connections.

I still think it is kind of interesting that his wife reported him missing at 1 am. I would probably not report my husband missing if he was just 4 or 5 hrs later than he predicted he'd be home. I would assume he got caught up with work/friends/etc and I would be angry when he finally answered me. But I would not call LE unless I had some reason to believe something criminal happened. JMO
I am sorry my good friend. But if my wife text me and said I will be home in 1 hr (by 8:45). And by 1am she is not picking up my calls nor anyone else has heard from her; Then I would call the police as well. Especially knowing the urban dangers in that area. Now I bet if she did wait then the police would question why she took so long. Especially since his last text said he will be home in a hour without further communication. She may have called hospitals and the jail as well. He seemed like a punctual type of person. So I cant fault her for that.

Since you cant file a missing persons report for 24 hours or so. I think she was letting the cops know that something feels wrong. Maybe she was checking to see if he had been arrested or in a accident because he was suppose to be home and she thinks he's missing. They probably told her dont worry and to call back if he doesn't show up later on some time. Jmo

snipped respectfully, thank you for this information you considered

Somebody killed him not much like a pro, looks angry, was that real anger or done to seem so? Was there evidence of his being bound or subdued? The video of the POI going in, how bout out? I bet the POI changed and blended in going out? Has anything been said about the estimates on the time of death?

I have wondered too about the exit video -- where's the video of the person in bulky clothing leaving the building?

There are a couple things in particular I am quite interested in. First, where were the stab wounds, and how many is "multiple"? I am interested in determining the amount of rage, and if there were stabs post mortem and in the groin, etc. This would tell us a lot. I am also interested in the defense wounds, it will help tell us if the Perp was male or female, as the depth of the stab wounds as well.

Another reason for the "snow suit" is to probably cover up all the bloody clothes the perp was wearing. But why no bloody shoe prints? That room must have been a bloody mess, literally.

I just read through the whole thread and because there was some confusion about the timeline earlier I thought I'd set down a very brief one here based on the information from this article: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/1...death-young-attorney-inside-washington-hotel/

Monday 2/9/15
sometime after 5pm Messerschmitt checked into a room at the Hotel Donovan
at 7:34pm his wife received a text from him saying he'd be home in about an hour

Tuesday 2/10/15

at 1:50am his wife reported him missing (so, about 6 hours after she received the text)
later that morning he was found dead in the hotel room.

I don't know why the Daily Mail and other sources say he was found 24 hours after he was reported missing. I tend to believe the source above and these two which give a fairly specific time that she reported him missing: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...s-Circle-Hotel-Tuesday-Donovan-291455771.html and http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5c6bf6-b2ad-11e4-886b-c22184f27c35_story.html

In an earlier article, it said he left his office around 5:30. So "sometime after 5PM" isn't really that helpful. It could have been anytime after 5, which is obvious.

Also, I don't get why the hotel being gay friendly means anything? Gay marriage is legal in DC and most states. (My guess is it will be legal in all 50 states this summer). It's not the fifties or even the seventies anymore. Most hotels are gay friendly. David was raised Presbyterian, which accepts gay people and gay marriage. There would be absolutely no reason for him to get married to a woman in 2012 if he were gay. And by the age of 28, he certainly would know.

Also, I know a few IP lawyers and although they are interesting people, their jobs? (yawnnnnn) It is mostly corporations vs corporations. I doubt anyone had it in for him at his job. Plus, he would have been a junior attorney and if there had been an issue that required murder, I would think the senior attorneys would get redrummed.

Finally...I don't think it involved drugs, only because he was a runner and rower. Athletes don't *normally* use illegal drugs.

I know I am probably wrong because sex and/or drugs are the most obvious things and you shouldn't necessarily look for the zebra when it is a horse. That said, sometimes people ARE nice, normal boring people and they DO end up killed. I am not ready to go to the zebra quite yet...but he was such a low risk person. It just seems so weird. Hopefully, LE has the videos for the entire time after he checked in and they will have it figured out.

And unless the wife was involved, if the POI was related to her she obviously would have told LE who it was. I believe he is male, just because a female would have a more difficult time stabbing a young, athletic male.

In an earlier article, it said he left his office around 5:30. So "sometime after 5PM" isn't really that helpful. It could have been anytime after 5, which is obvious.

Also, I don't get why the hotel being gay friendly means anything? Gay marriage is legal in DC and most states. (My guess is it will be legal in all 50 states this summer). It's not the fifties or even the seventies anymore. Most hotels are gay friendly. David was raised Presbyterian, which accepts gay people and gay marriage. There would be absolutely no reason for him to get married to a woman in 2012 if he were gay. And by the age of 28, he certainly would know.

Also, I know a few IP lawyers and although they are interesting people, their jobs? (yawnnnnn) It is mostly corporations vs corporations. I doubt anyone had it in for him at his job. Plus, he would have been a junior attorney and if there had been an issue that required murder, I would think the senior attorneys would get redrummed.

Finally...I don't think it involved drugs, only because he was a runner and rower. Athletes don't *normally* use illegal drugs.

I know I am probably wrong because sex and/or drugs are the most obvious things and you shouldn't necessarily look for the zebra when it is a horse. That said, sometimes people ARE nice, normal boring people and they DO end up killed. I am not ready to go to the zebra quite yet...but he was such a low risk person. It just seems so weird. Hopefully, LE has the videos for the entire time after he checked in and they will have it figured out.

And unless the wife was involved, if the POI was related to her she obviously would have told LE who it was. I believe he is male, just because a female would have a more difficult time stabbing a young, athletic male.

You make good sense. He was a promising young lawyer with strong advocates remembering him well. There would be a record and video of when David checked in, of whom else may have gone in his room or come out, so that LE has not released any video other than the POI's may say something. The 7:30 ish text seems like it may be a cover up as it coincides with the time this POI is just stepping back into view from the elevator that doesn't work, it seems to me. So what would it be covering up? Why a text just then?

His wife said he "usually beat her home" at night, but we don't know what time she was usually home. There are so many unknowns in this case. Did David ever check into the hotel before? Did he usually come for happy hour and then go home? Was he driving his own vehicle or did he use taxis/public transportation? Was his car parked at the hotel? When, exactly, did he leave the office and where did he go for two hours? Did he respond to a text sent to him or was it random?

I am guessing that if the text was sent by the assailant, it was to delay the wife from notifying the police. But if it were me, I would have called many times between his text and his not arriving home.
Right now, all we know is he seems to be a nice person who was good at his job and loved his wife. And somehow, he got murdered in a hotel room.

His wife said he "usually beat her home" at night, but we don't know what time she was usually home. There are so many unknowns in this case. Did David ever check into the hotel before? Did he usually come for happy hour and then go home? Was he driving his own vehicle or did he use taxis/public transportation? Was his car parked at the hotel? When, exactly, did he leave the office and where did he go for two hours? Did he respond to a text sent to him or was it random?

I am guessing that if the text was sent by the assailant, it was to delay the wife from notifying the police. But if it were me, I would have called many times between his text and his not arriving home.
Right now, all we know is he seems to be a nice person who was good at his job and loved his wife. And somehow, he got murdered in a hotel room.

What IF this is a case of him meeting up with someone for drinks whether social or business or any combo thereof and he had a bad reaction to the drink and took up an offer to lay down for a bit and it went kaflooey?

I predict an arrest is imminent. I'm even going to go out on a limb and say it will be an Asian female with nerve damage or something to the lip, as evidenced by the picture of the perp. Hmm, now if they could just find someone like that....

If you think a slight female can't easily stab a young, athletic man to death, please read about the Jodi Arias case.

If you think a slight female can't easily stab a young, athletic man to death, please read about the Jodi Arias case.

Exactly. I could imagine a close embrace and a swift slash to a vital vein/artery. A chilling thought indeed.
This is either a "payback" or a "payday".....
I wonder what his life insurance looked like, his assets, etc. That will be very telling.

What IF this is a case of him meeting up with someone for drinks whether social or business or any combo thereof and he had a bad reaction to the drink and took up an offer to lay down for a bit and it went kaflooey?

Call me jaded, but from my perspective a married man three miles from home found in a hotel room is there for one reason only. Such is the nature of the beast.

Just cause his wallet was there doesnt mean a robbery didnt take place. He could have ordered drugs and told the person which hotel and room to bring it to. Upon the fake delivery, the poi stabbed him and stole the cash. Now since he text his wife. This could mean that he was going to come home for a little bit but then head back to the hotel for a drug fueled tryst with somebody else. Now as far as the robbery and murder; It happens all the time via Craigslist or some ghetto person that you dont know and try to do seedy business with.

Or it could have been consensual, non-adulterous sexy role playing. Occam's Razor.

or, if you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.... he starts a beautiful online relationship with a wonderful woman and agrees to meet her in the hotel, and then when she knocks on the door she turns out to be his wife with rageful eyes and a bread knife.

... but thats just a thought. it is odd that he is supposed to meet someone for just an hour. i mean i know casual encounters can be expeditious, but that's a lot of hotel room to book for the hopes of someone random.

I don't think there is a 24-hour waiting period anymore to report a person missing. But many people think there is. I would think if a person is worried, they would still call LE sooner to find out. I called once when my husband was gone for ten hours, just to check if his car was involved in an accident. They checked and then asked me if I wanted to file a report.

Anyway...just an FYI.

I'd love to know what family members are thinking.....

....i'd like to know if partially clothed means topless or bottomless (sorry, it would be a huge clue).

As for drugs, IMO, he wouldn't need a $300 a night hotel room to buy/do drugs. There are many successful professionals who are addicts. No need for a hotel room.

And about the perp walking in and out of the hotel...I was in DC at a Boutique hotel similar to the Donovan recently. I was SHOCKED that anyone could walk in and out. Get in the elevator and so on. Then I realized...the restaurant and bar were open to the public. Same goes for the Donovan. Most of their clients are not hotel guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove