DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think about the idea of the trial being public? I am on the fence.

On the one hand, it's probably the most important trial in American history. (I resent he is making history, fwiw. Would prefer he is forgotten and fast.) On the other hand, he's a regular citizen and should be treated as any other person facing Federal trial. Federal trials are not televised for regular people.

Then again, it's important that Americans see what this man did to our country and that justice is being done. On the other hand, would the audience who needs to be convinced bother watching? I don't think his fan base watched the J6 hearings that were televised and easily accessible to watch online. And, they don't seem to read the actual documents that are easily accessible to read online and prefer to believe and repeat spin.

What's the best approach?

(And, now, I have the song "The Revolution will not be Televised" on my mind. Anyone else remember that one?)

jmo

Forgot to add another concern - would televising it turn it into a show? Trump loves to put on a show and I can see him making this into a joke, a circus. That would be a disgrace, imo.

This is an interesting brief from 1972 outlining some of the issues in court when the defendant (and their lawyers) have outbursts and how to deal with them. It's actually from Manitoba but the examples mentioned refer to trials deemed high public interest from the US and other international locations.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/1972CanLIIDocs17.pdf

This is so shameful. That the US has to assign security for a judge because of a former president. As much as I knew from the get-go that Trump would be divisive, hectoring, and self serving, never in a million years would I have thought threatening John Gotti- like behavior would emanate from a man still trying to get back in the WH and millions are on board with it. Truly scary, imo.

Judges, prosecutors, election officials, his own VP.
Nobody seems to be exempt from having a target put on their back.
It is truly un-(former)-presidential behaviour.

Scary for US citizens. Scary for allies of the US also.

imo

The search was so secret that Twitter was barred from telling Trump the search warrant had been obtained for his account, and Twitter was fined $350,000 because it delayed producing the records sought under the search warrant.

The special counsel’s office, which is now working on the criminal case against Trump in DC District Court related to his efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election, sought the warrant in January 2023.

Last edited:
The memo outlines ways to message fake electors as "routine."

My bleeding heart feels a teeny tiny bit sorry for the electors who were misled, duped, and lied to, though I wonder if they still think they did the right thing in undermining a legal election and trying to discount valid votes cast legally by fellow Americans in their own states.

jmo

I don't think they were misled. The Georgia fake electors knew what they were doing when an independent journalist called George Chidi went into a meeting and got booted out. They lied and said they were doing a meeting related to educational issues. So I think all those fake electors knew what they were doing was illegal and did it anyway.

Former mayor Rudy Giuliani has listed his esteemed Manhattan co-op, which made headlines when it was raided by the FBI in 2021, for a price of $6.5 million. Situated conveniently on the Upper East Side at 45 East 66th Street, this luxurious home hit the market in late July, as reported by Insider. Public records reveal that Giuliani, who is now 79 years old, bought this three-bedroom, three-bathroom corner unit in 2002 for a cool $4.8 million. The reasons behind the sale are not entirely clear, and it remains uncertain whether this marks Giuliani’s permanent departure from the city that never sleeps. However, a source close to the former mayor has suggested to The Post that he may be preparing for future legal battles. In their words, “There is no doubt that if he is federally indicted, he will need top-notch lawyers to see his case through.”

hlkjhlkjh
The search was so secret that Twitter was barred from telling Trump the search warrant had been obtained for his account, and Twitter was fined $350,000 because it delayed producing the records sought under the search warrant.

The special counsel’s office, which is now working on the criminal case against Trump in DC District Court related to his efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election, sought the warrant in January 2023.

Why would a search warrant be required when tweets are viewable by the public? Serious question.

jmo

I don't believe it is mainstream- Trump's maga followers are not mainstream nor are they in the majority. The people that were interviewed were at a Trump rally. This was not stoking the fires, this was trying to get a feel for what Trump supporters are thinking. Those two people don't represent all of his suporters but at least a percentage of them I believe do think that way.
BBM. Yes, the supporters who rioted at the Capitol on Jan. 6th certainly believed Trump's lies and hopefully their jail sentences will provide them with time to reflect on their incredibly poor judgment.

If Trump's followers were in the majority, his lawyer pals would not have needed to resort to electoral fraud in their pathetic attempt to overthrow the decision of voters.

JMO

This is so shameful. That the US has to assign security for a judge because of a former president. As much as I knew from the get-go that Trump would be divisive, hectoring, and self serving, never in a million years would I have thought threatening John Gotti- like behavior would emanate from a man still trying to get back in the WH and millions are on board with it. Truly scary, imo.

Oh yes it is shameful and I agree, never in a million years would I have imagined Donald Trump to act like a mafia don-- I am stunned at his behavior- and it is very scary-- the scary thing is nothing seems to be able to stop him from acting out--even such a serious lawsuit alleging his attempt to overthrow an election! He just gets more bellicose every day

I don't think they were misled. The Georgia fake electors knew what they were doing when an independent journalist called George Chidi went into a meeting and got booted out. They lied and said they were doing a meeting related to educational issues. So I think all those fake electors knew what they were doing was illegal and did it anyway.

BBM. How do you know they lied? I think it is very possible they were misled.

Chidi wasn't invited to the meeting and had no right to show up there. I think his presence at the GJ proceeding will not be helpful in securing an indictment because he's widely publicizing it for his own personal gain.

JMO

I was surprised to read how many state politicians and legislators were among the fake electors. These people definitely knew better. imo

Yep- they'd be buds!!! my husband is a really nice friendly guy- he is a veteran, retired engineer--- I have to tell you I was shocked when I discovered he loved Trump- his kids do too-
I would love to have a genuine conversation about this. I do not see how I could stay partnered or even friends with someone who condones what he has said (let alone done). Like, if someone thinks the "locker room" talk from the Access Hollywood tape was ok and really was locker room talk, or listened to him yesterday in NH and liked what he said, I just can't fathom having that person in my life because it says so much about THEM and who they are and what they really think about women, minorities, the justice system, the marginalized, America, etc.

I applaud you for making it work somehow but don't know how you do it.

Last edited:
The memo outlines ways to message fake electors as "routine."

My bleeding heart feels a teeny tiny bit sorry for the electors who were misled, duped, and lied to, though I wonder if they still think they did the right thing in undermining a legal election and trying to discount valid votes cast legally by fellow Americans in their own states.

jmo
Not to get too far into the weeds, but some of the indicted MI fake electors have been busy.

I personally do not believe either one of these people who have been involved in government and campaigns for years, were duped at all.

I would love to have a genuine conversation about this. I do not see how I could stay partnered or even friends with someone who condones what he has said (let alone done). Like, if someone thinks the "locker room" talk from the Access Hollywood tape was ok and really was locker room talk, or listened to him yesterday in NH and liked what he said, I just can't fathom having that person in my life because it says so much about THEM and who they are and what they really think about women, minorities, the justice system, the marginalized, America, etc.

I applaud you for making it work somehow but don't know how you do it.

I also live with someone who believes in Trump. We do not bring up any subject even remotely related to Trump or Biden.

When my husband pisses me off I play Jordan Klepper YT videos and turn the volume up.

Not to get too far into the weeds, but some of the indicted MI fake electors have been busy.

I personally do not believe either one of these people who have been involved in government and campaigns for years, were duped at all.

Very good point. Delegates are not newbies to politics but seasoned and very involved.

Sigh.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members