DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone should Google 3200 Woodland and check out the street view!! Houses are so close to the road and so is the driveway!!

True. I keep thinking about that case out west where the son was "away at school" when his family got killed.
The Ewell family in Fresno, California on Easter Sunday 1992? Could be a similar situation where a "friend" committed the crime.

Curious though, in this case, regarding the car and it being away from the house for 3 hours before the fire. Who had it?

MOO

I am so glad you guys are discussing this case. It just reminded me of the Petit family so much when I read about it. I'm thinking maybe a flashy Porshe is what lured someone to follow them home, as a news article said the car was Amy's. Part of me thinks it was a random home invasion and the killer did not know the family. Then there's the no forced entry...which could mean the husband randomly opened the door, perhaps they were watched for a while, or even the killer arrived home with one of the victims (I'm betting with Amy).

I wonder if LE have verified that their lawn scaping company was due that day? Could it have been a cover for what was going on inside? Lots of noise to cover up the noise inside? That would make it more than a one person job. Regardless, I hope they find out who did this fast. It's senseless to take another life in general, but a child? My heart also breaks that perhaps they tried to reach out with that message the best they could and no one could have detected it was a cry for help.

I live a few blocks away so have been following closely and wanted to share something I saw on the local news early that day but have not seen anywhere else online. At least one of the local stations talked to who a guy who said his brother was with a cleaning crew that was scheduled to be there that day, but that he hadn't been able to get in touch with his brother all day. I thought this was particularly interesting.

Welcome runnergal......thanks for the "on the spot" perspective......interesting. Hmmm

I live a few blocks away so have been following closely and wanted to share something I saw on the local news early that day but have not seen anywhere else online. At least one of the local stations talked to who a guy who said his brother was with a cleaning crew that was scheduled to be there that day, but that he hadn't been able to get in touch with his brother all day. I thought this was particularly interesting.

That is interesting. since they have two housekeepers for the inside cleaning, I wonder if this guy was part of the outdoor crew the neighbor saw, maybe clean-up in the yard, etc.

I've been wondering about that. The call to the housekeeper is the main thing that has me thinking it's somebody closer to the family. That and the fact that home invasions are rare in this area. There was a well-to-do couple found murdered in their home last weekend in Rockville which isn't too far away that is sounding like it was a robbery scenario.
After reading through all this, it appears someone who knew the family versus a stranger/home invasion. The fire indicates someone attempting to cover up another crime (murder) while at the same time sparing the 2nd housekeeper and the dogs. I am doubtful it is someone associated with the lawn care crew as no motive seems to be evident at this point.

MOO

Exactly - with 2 housekeepers already I was wondering exactly what type of "cleaning crew" he was referring to. I also failed to mention in my first post that the gentleman said he had been sitting outside the house all day while trying to get in touch with his brother to no avail. I saw this clip a few times in the early afternoon when it was breaking on local news only. If anyone is curious to find the video, I am about 98% certain the interview was on the local NBC4 station.

The dogs had to be familiar with the perp. not to cause a commotion.

Not necessarily. We, at WS.... have seen so many cases where children were kidnapped from their home with the parents/grandparents and dogs inside and some of the dogs have been big pit bulls. No one heard a thing and the dogs didn't bark even though when the suspect was finally arrested they turned out to be a complete stranger to the families involved.

I will never forget what Joe Duncan told Shasta Greone when he had kidnapped her for seven long weeks. He told her he thought he would have to kill the two pit bulls too that were inside of their home, but all they did was whimper, and hid under the dining room table and stayed there. They never came out of the room nor barked as he was murdering three of Shasta's family. Nor did they bark when he was kidnapping Shasta and Dylan.

And there have been many cases where dogs were inside the home that didn't bark even though the suspect was a total stranger. I think dogs can sense evil too and are afraid themselves about what is happening in the home to those they love.

IMO

After reading through all this, it appears someone who knew the family versus a stranger/home invasion. The fire indicates someone attempting to cover up another crime (murder) while at the same time sparing the 2nd housekeeper and the dogs. I am doubtful it is someone associated with the lawn care crew as no motive seems to be evident at this point.

MOO

I am not sure. I think the text was sent as a veiled plea for help.

The Petit home was also burned by two home invaders who were strangers to the family so I am not ruling out a home invasion just yet.

I'm wondering how happy those girls were being sent away to boarding school.
Having to facebook message on Mother's Day, instead of being home w/her???

My mind is thinking along the lines of the Ewell murder mentioned up there^^^.
I remember that case very well, as I'm close by...

Exactly - with 2 housekeepers already I was wondering exactly what type of "cleaning crew" he was referring to. I also failed to mention in my first post that the gentleman said he had been sitting outside the house all day while trying to get in touch with his brother to no avail. I saw this clip a few times in the early afternoon when it was breaking on local news only. If anyone is curious to find the video, I am about 98% certain the interview was on the local NBC4 station.

Sitting outside the dead family's home all day the day the bodies were found? What an odd thing to do or tell someone you did! I think LE might want to talk to him.

I am not sure. I think the text was sent as a veiled plea for help.

The Petit home was also burned by two home invaders who were strangers to the family so I am not ruling out a home invasion just yet.
Quite true regarding the Petit home, and I haven't completely ruled out home invasion...just doubtful at this stage believing it was "closer to home", meaning not totally random.

MOO

This text message allegedly from Amy is disturbing as there is no proof it really came from Amy. Also suspicious is the housekeeper staying overnight and the family requesting the other housekeeper inform her family she wouldn't be home, to which that woman says she would NEVER stay overnight. Text messages, a dead cell phone battery and Amy supposedly suddenly ill? Was someone already in the house the previous evening/night holding the family hostage? Were some members of the family or the housekeeper already deceased? Or my worst thought is the husband (the only one who spoke to anyone) was behind it. Whatever happened appears to have begun that night and the fire not started until the afternoon the next day.

:waitasec:

MOO

Really starting to sound like a Petit-style invasion/detention type crime. The brutality suggests to me something very personal, possibly an angry business associate.

It would be extremely difficult to drive from their house to the location where the car was purportedly found without passing dozens of cameras. Embassy Row is embedded into the fabric of Northwest DC, while New Carrolton is just over the border in Maryland. I hope the cameras are useful...

Snipped quotes from the article that stand out to me.

"The Savopoulos family was having a busy week. The husband was trying to get a new martial arts center in Chantilly, Va., ready for a grand opening, and he enlisted the help of one of his housekeepers."

"The police records also show that Savvas Savopoulos was working hard last week getting the Chantilly project ready for a Friday opening. The Chantilly property was closed Saturday and there were no obvious signs of a martial arts studio inside, but a business owner who works nearby said he has seen activity at the building in recent weeks."

"Minutes before 10 a.m., Gutierrez got a text message from Amy Savopoulos: “I am making sure you do not come today.” Gutierrez, who was then cleaning another home in McLean, replied that she would not be coming, per Savvas Savopoulos’s earlier orders, according to the police documents."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

BBM

The text message is strange - sounds overly emphatic that the housekeeper not show up.

And what's up with the martial arts studio. It seems like a odd thing to occupy a man who is high up in the business and social scene of Washington.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member