DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to this voicemail for the first time and I can't get over the huge red flags that were missed in this case.

SS leaves message saying that VF would be staying the night because AS is not feeling well. This is odd in itself but what he says next should have raised a red flag. He said VF's cell phone is dead and he doesn't have a charger for it so he asks NG to contact anyone who would be concerned about VF's whereabouts. If I received a message like this my first thought would be why doesn't SS lend VF his phone so she can call her husband? Of course as noted in the middle of the vm we can here what sounds like screams. This should have raised immediate suspicions. This was one of which I believe were many red flags that were missed.

Some good points raised in the recent "Security Weekly" publication that we get at work. Here's excerpt on "The Known Threat" (i.e., DW):

The Known Threat

"As noted last week, the man arrested and charged in the Savopoulos murders, Daron Wint, was employed at American Iron Works from 2003-2005 before being fired. But Wint's termination was not his last contact with the company. According to the AP, Wint was arrested outside the headquarters of American Iron Works in 2010. At the time of the incident, he was reportedly armed with a BB pistol and a machete. The weapons charges were reportedly dropped when Wint pleaded guilty to possessing an open container of alcohol. Based on my experience in dealing with angry and mentally disturbed former employees, it would seem very unusual for a person to suddenly develop an unhealthy focus on their former employer after a five-year period of no contact. It is even more unusual to target the company's CEO after 10 years with no other contact."

https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/savopoulos-case-study-protective-intelligence

BBM

I was just going to post the same thought. If he had tennis shoes on in NYC, after he ditched his phone, why would he put on bloody shoe from the crime scene when he returned to DC? I'd think he would have ditched the shoes/clothing he had on during the crimes. Very odd.

Maybe his shoe was in a bag with one of the knives and some blood was transferred? Idk...you'd think with thousands of dollars he would buy new clothes, shoes...

The video is still questionable as it doesn't directly place him at the scene. It's just a man wearing a hoodie that could be anyone. Something I'm sure his defense will argue. I believe they are headed in this direction as they brought up he didn't match the description given by W-3 regarding identity of man driving Porsche. They stated DW had dreads and not "short well groomed hair." Whatever "enhanced" video they have better show his face, if not ... DW's defense might have a strong case of reasonable doubt

Hopefully LE has stronger direct evidence linking DW to the crime. The S family & VF deserve justice.

Unless the defense can prove DW found a pizza on the porch (where he got blood on his shoe from when SS cut himself shaving that morning and a drop of blood fell as SS went out to get the paper), ate all but the crust, threw it back in the box then leaves whereupon the family takes the box upstairs, then is somehow tied up and murdered....

BBM

I was just going to post the same thought. If he had tennis shoes on in NYC, after he ditched his phone, why would he put on bloody shoe from the crime scene when he returned to DC? I'd think he would have ditched the shoes/clothing he had on during the crimes. Very odd.

dumb criminal...............

OK, this story on WJLA about a Rockville/N Bethesda, MD Range Rover dealership. A sales manager stole a customer's ID, bought a $75, 000 Range Rover and was in the process of handing it over to another criminal to ship and sell the vehicle for over $200,000 in CHINA! Gonna go get you a link but wanted to get this out there ASAP.
http://www.wjla.com/live/ scroll to 4:30 and wait for the story...I can't find the exact spot right this minute.

ETA: Brian Armstrong Sales Manager Manhattan's Bethesda Auto

Would you be willing to give him life with a possibility of parole as a deal?

NO, death penalty case IMOO
Look at the 2 murderers that are on the loose in NY..............
To many career criminals that turn to murder are being kept by taxpayers............sitting on my hands now...............

Let me more specific about why it is WAY too early to speculate about the defense. At this point we don't even know what the charges are. The arrest warrant simply contains what is necessary to arrest him. He has not been indicted. Once he is indicted we will see what the actual charges are. But even then we won't know his defense or the evidence against him. There will be a process of discovery during which time the prosecution will turn over evidence to the defense lawyers. But even then, there's no reason for either party to release the information publicly and there may even be orders keeping some portions of the evidence under seal. Remember, Chief Lanier said she would not comment on evidence in the case. Some has been leaked but not verified. Very little has been released and verified.

Which is all to say its too early to even speculate about a defense or about the evidence against Wint. Wint's lawyers most likely don't know what their defense is at this point. We don't know even know the specific charges. We won't know all the evidence until trial.

The pizza will be the least of it.

As I recall when they released the picture of the bootprint they were looking for a match. That wouldn't be the case if they knew the shoes they seized from Wint, with the blood, matched. To me this is the strongest case for more than one assailant.

Wasn't this print a part of a search warrant which was issued before Wint was even arrested?

I don't understand why anybody was beaten and tortured because you would think that Savvas Savopoulos would have been cooperative with Wint from the get-go knowing that his family was in peril. If Savvas Savopoulos was cooperative but Wint decided to kill everyone after he got the money, why did he torture the kid unmercifully? So he is just a sadistic monster. And if others were involved, why wouldn't Wint start talking to get the best deal he could with LE knowing that he is most assuredly going down for this horrific crime.

They were tortured because the torturer enjoyed it. I agree with you that there was absolutely no need for it since we all (I'm assuming, of course) agree that violence wasn't necessary beyond the initial physical restraint part. Once your victim is immobilized, they're at your mercy.

I believe Wint enjoyed the sadistic nature of a kidnapping. The intimidation, visceral fear, physical violence and ultimately the murders of four human beings. Yes, he'd found his niche and I believe he would have done it again if he hadn't been caught.

I don't know why, but I'm curious about his girlfriend. She couldn't have been ignorant of his lifestyle in general, but then to turn up with tens of thousands of dollars in cash? I'm making a blind judgment here in saying that she might be a piece of work, too. When do people turn into "accessories after the fact"? Is that charge at the discretion of the prosecutor's office depending on cooperation and testimony against the killer?

Exactly. The perps would not want the dogs outside barking. Maybe they did drug the dogs. It wouldn't surprise me if they had easy access to drugs.
Not to beat a dead horse with dogs...

I entertain the following, which gives rise to my speculating about plans vs. no plans and perp identity : 1)provision to ensure dogs would not gain neighbors' attention was made 2) dogs attended to by someone known to the dogs (could be owner) 3) dog's circumstances such that no need to consider them a "threat" (i.e. that their behavior might draw a neighbor to investigate, call ACC, get the lawn crew poking about). Could be doggie door led to area apart from the action--utility or laundry room where food placed and then they sheltered inside as per usual and went back out in the a.m.
On the other hand, dogs were kept in back of house IIRC, and that back space could be such that dogs would not be seen or heard, a fact that would be obvious without need to case or to know (prior) their temperament and routine.

Still, IF #1 or #3 the case, implies prior knowledge or observation. JMO perps knew prior that no need to disable dogs. Perhaps benefit in dogs frolicking outside as usual in a.m. to give impression nothing amiss.
I concede an on-the-spot observation might have indicated to perps that dogs not an issue, their behavior moot.
#2 is the usual thinking: an accomplice familiar with dogs tended to them.
OR dogs had access to a guardian without him or her being seen by outsiders. No duct tape, bindings, threatening "other" while guardian interacted though. Otherwise dogs could get agitated and bark loudly enough to be heard by passerby.
Or is it that the house is hedged, set back far enough, insulated well enough from outsiders that sound not an issue?

JMO Dogs drugged, dogs most laid back dogs ever, provisions made, prior knowledge of dogs, or perp/s know how to read and handle dogs in general , or perp/s so dog crazy would rather risk discovery than harm dogs in pre-emptive strike.

I tend to think NG, though mis-identified "Ginger" as vicious guarder, she was right that perps had to have prior knowledge through casing or through insider info. I think she meant that dogs are protective, would bark if they felt threatened or felt guardians were, and that they would react to strangers, invasion, the "unusual" in some way so as to draw attention unless perp/s had factored them in to the equation, knew how to deal with them, what time dogs out of earshot, out of the house, their day to day routine.

I don't know THESE dogs, but I do know dogs in general as a dog trainer and long-time kennel attendant and dog volunteer. Friendly dogs who approach anyone and everyone react to changes in routine, bark when left outside over night, scratch at doors when they expect to see guardians and don't, sense danger, hear glass breaking, see people carrying stuff in and out of a house and get curious...

JMO not drugged as kept to usual morning routine outdoors as attested to by lawn crew and neighbors IIRC.

True. He was last seen by the gf in white tennis shoes. But several days later he is arrested and a "shoe" has blood on it but no color or style given...

wonder if his gf noticed he had blood on his shoes? or if she noticed anything else that could have linked him to the crime? i remember reading that she didn't contact the police, that they tracked her down. makes me think she wasn't in too much of a hurry to turn him in even if she did suspect him...just speculating. this case is so disgustingly horrible. Everything about it.

Why Torch the Porsche?
Is it possible the perp(s)' plan A (re Porsche only) was to (?)* but while driving to stash it temporarily or to deliver it to buyer, the Porsche got damaged in a one-car accident? Then perp(s) decided car in that condition would not command the $ he/they anticipated or had already negotiated so said 'The heck w it; fire will burn up all the evd' and lit the match?
Or maybe pre-arranged buyer failed to show w $ at appt.
Does MSM have pix of post-fire Porsche? Can we see body damage, other than FD-effort caused damage?

Personally not sold on this ^ as accurate or even likely. Pure speculation, w no basis in fact. DK who w/h/bn involved, or who was driving. If accident involved a vehicle other than the Porsche, likely LE w/h/bn called then & there by other driver, imo.

* (?) could have been selling it on wheels to a chop shop; disassembling car themselves to sell for parts; forging VINs, titles, & registration to sell in US or abroad; driving it w chums and looking fly until stopped by LE; many other poss.

Not to beat a dead horse with dogs...

I entertain the following, which gives rise to my speculating about plans vs. no plans and perp identity : 1)provision to ensure dogs would not gain neighbors' attention was made 2) dogs attended to by someone known to the dogs (could be owner) 3) dog's circumstances such that no need to consider them a "threat" (i.e. that their behavior might draw a neighbor to investigate, call ACC, get the lawn crew poking about). Could be doggie door led to area apart from the action--utility or laundry room where food placed and then they sheltered inside as per usual and went back out in the a.m.
On the other hand, dogs were kept in back of house IIRC, and that back space could be such that dogs would not be seen or heard, a fact that would be obvious without need to case or to know (prior) their temperament and routine.

Still, IF #1 or #3 the case, implies prior knowledge or observation. JMO perps knew prior that no need to disable dogs. Perhaps benefit in dogs frolicking outside as usual in a.m. to give impression nothing amiss.
I concede an on-the-spot observation might have indicated to perps that dogs not an issue, their behavior moot.
#2 is the usual thinking: an accomplice familiar with dogs tended to them.
OR dogs had access to a guardian without him or her being seen by outsiders. No duct tape, bindings, threatening "other" while guardian interacted though. Otherwise dogs could get agitated and bark loudly enough to be heard by passerby.
Or is it that the house is hedged, set back far enough, insulated well enough from outsiders that sound not an issue?

JMO Dogs drugged, dogs most laid back dogs ever, provisions made, prior knowledge of dogs, or perp/s know how to read and handle dogs in general , or perp/s so dog crazy would rather risk discovery than harm dogs in pre-emptive strike.

I tend to think NG, though mis-identified "Ginger" as vicious guarder, she was right that perps had to have prior knowledge through casing or through insider info. I think she meant that dogs are protective, would bark if they felt threatened or felt guardians were, and that they would react to strangers, invasion, the "unusual" in some way so as to draw attention unless perp/s had factored them in to the equation, knew how to deal with them, what time dogs out of earshot, out of the house, their day to day routine.

I don't know THESE dogs, but I do know dogs in general as a dog trainer and long-time kennel attendant and dog volunteer. Friendly dogs who approach anyone and everyone react to changes in routine, bark when left outside over night, scratch at doors when they expect to see guardians and don't, sense danger, hear glass breaking, see people carrying stuff in and out of a house and get curious...

JMO not drugged as kept to usual morning routine outdoors as attested to by lawn crew and neighbors IIRC.

All a very thoughtful analysis. I think the perp(s) must have either cased the house or had insider knowledge and known about the dogs' demeanor/routine OR they just got incredibly lucky that the dogs were docile enough not to draw attention to them.

They were tortured because the torturer enjoyed it. I agree with you that there was absolutely no need for it since we all (I'm assuming, of course) agree that violence wasn't necessary beyond the initial physical restraint part. Once your victim is immobilized, they're at your mercy.

I believe Wint enjoyed the sadistic nature of a kidnapping. The intimidation, visceral fear, physical violence and ultimately the murders of four human beings. Yes, he'd found his niche and I believe he would have done it again if he hadn't been caught.

I don't know why, but I'm curious about his girlfriend. She couldn't have been ignorant of his lifestyle in general, but then to turn up with tens of thousands of dollars in cash? I'm making a blind judgment here in saying that she might be a piece of work, too. When do people turn into "accessories after the fact"? Is that charge at the discretion of the prosecutor's office depending on cooperation and testimony against the killer?
He was probably a charmer with women. His GF in Brooklyn may not have experienced his violent side. She cooperated fully with police during questioning. She may not have been aware of his being wanted, in fact she said when he saw it on TV is when he decided to return to DC. Prosecutors can and do use that potential charge to get cooperation from a witness.

"Originally Posted by Willow Knight Exactly. The perps would not want the dogs outside barking. Maybe they did drug the dogs. It wouldn't surprise me if they had easy access to drugs." bbm

Agreeing w above that drugging the dogs is a good possibility.

Respectfully w ~one hr actual time, ~$50, and a (borrowed?) dog, a vet visit c/h yielded Doggie Downers without any criminal activity. No need to slither into the criminal underworld.

He was probably a charmer with women. His GF in Brooklyn may not have experienced his violent side. She cooperated fully with police during questioning. She may not have been aware of his being wanted, in fact she said when he saw it on TV is when he decided to return to DC. Prosecutors can and do use that potential charge to get cooperation from a witness.
Oh gross he looks so deformed and we know his personality is disgusting. What kind of woman would be charmed by this?

Thank you!

More...

Now investigators say they have a new clue linking suspect Darron Dellon Dennis Wint to one of the victims: blood found on a shoe he was wearing when authorities arrested him.

Forensic analysis matched traces of blood on Wint's shoe to at least one of the murder victims, two law enforcement officials said. The officials would not specify which victim's blood was allegedly found on Wint's shoe.
Specifically related to "sources tell" reports, CNN's track record makes them one of the least accurate sources.

Would you be willing to give him life with a possibility of parole as a deal?
Absolutely. If convicted he's NEVER getting out. Charles Manson hours before the parole board regularly and he hasn't convinced them to let him out. If it would get his accomplices identified and charged I'd have no problem giving DW life with the possibility of parole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1