DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me be more explicit while trying to stay within the rules. JW probably believed that the money wasn't kosher. he was protecting his employer. Whether or not that was true is irrelevant, its what JW believed.

I think there's a reason they are going through the finances. As I said, money moved around. Cash was withdrawn for the dojo opening and no one raised an eyebrow. This may have been perfectly legitimate but LE wants to know who would have known about the availability of cash. It may have been that DW got lucky and walked in on a situation where money was available. Or maybe someone associated with the crime knew.

Why would JW care about protecting a man he knew to be dead when a quadruple murder investigation was at stake? I would think that covering for some kind of criminal activity would be pretty low on his list of priorities right then.

Here is the CNN story in print, updated at 4:30 pm, regarding the strangulation:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/10/politics/dc-mansion-fire-bloody-bat/

Even that updated story still had some incorrect things. For one, it says "Earlier this month, law enforcement officials arrested Darron Dellon Dennis Wint and charged him with first-degree murder in the case." This story was just posted today. Wint was arrested and charged May 21, not in the month of June. Do they have fact-checkers at CNN?

Let me be more explicit while trying to stay within the rules. JW probably believed that the money wasn't kosher. he was protecting his employer. Whether or not that was true is irrelevant, its what JW believed.

I think there's a reason they are going through the finances. As I said, money moved around. Cash was withdrawn for the dojo opening and no one raised an eyebrow. This may have been perfectly legitimate but LE wants to know who would have known about the availability of cash. It may have been that DW got lucky and walked in on a situation where money was available. Or maybe someone associated with the crime knew.

IMO we don't know that no one raised an eyebrow. They may have but SS, with his wife, son and housekeeper bound and threatened by a madman, spoke with those concerned and came up with a plausible story of why he needed cash on short notice.

it wasn't enough money. No way would anyone have done all this for $40,000. Perps thought they could get more. But it was the money SS could get his hands on.

OK...if that is your take on the situation. I happen not to hold the same opinion.

But none the less, I do think that is why JW originally told his lies. To protect his boss and what he thought might have been something hinky.

Unreal.. Wint should have been put away long ago. Three stabbings...that we know about! Plus beating a gf and threatening another with killing her and her infant cause he was "good with a knife"

Wint was convicted of third degree assault and served 89 days in prison for both attacks on Babcock.

“I don’t understand why they would only give him that little time for stabbing me," Babcock said.

After his release in 2007, Wint was sentenced to 10 months in jail for stabbing another man. When he completed his sentence, Wint returned to Maryland in 2008.

Outrageous, but just another stat. The list is appallingly long of those who committed violent offenses, leaving victims half-dead, or dead, kidnappings, rapes, attempted murders, and served little time or got the mandatory sentence only to come out again to commit the final atrocities, sometimes multiples. This is not new, not a result of a particular administration, or recent tolerance for violence. I could document, but what's the point?
We need a real and dramatic overhaul.
Our current system does not do enough to protect society and does plenty to clog courtrooms, flood prisons, disrupt families, encourage more criminality. In my state, eight years the max for rape. Don't get me started on the social/medical/ psychiatric problems corrections must now act as ware houses for.
Wint had shown that he was a serious and on-going threat to society. He should have had only once chance to commit a violent, brutal, completely unjustifiable crime. But what is ironic, had his victim died as a result of his offense, he eventually would have been on parole, and with such a disparity in resources allotted for the pre and post correction system, vs. imprisonment, he'd probably not have had adequate supervision to prevent the ultimate horror he was capable of.
JMO time-out.

I'm wondering if the grand jury was convened to decide if more charges can be brought against DW or if charges can be brought against others. My bet would be both.

JMO

I believe there is a possibility that the bank (and others) suspected the money as a ransom demand and loaded it with a "dye pack" inside on detectable by a special light or similar. Something changed the mindset after the money drop to stimulate it to a monster murder site. I just can't believe someone walked out of B of A with $40K in cash on demand and no red flags went off.

JMO's

it wasn't enough money. No way would anyone have done all this for $40,000. Perps thought they could get more. But it was the money SS could get his hands on.

I don't disagree with you since they knew the family had a lot more than $40k... but I just googled "hitman wife $10,000" and came up with an astonishing number of people willing to kill for that little money :scared::gasp:

Just a few choice samplings:

Husband allegedly paid hitman $10,000 to murder wife: court
www.brisbanetimes.com.au/.../husband-allegedly-paid-hitm...Brisbane Times
Sep 23, 2009 - A jealous husband offered a hitman $10000 to "savagely murder" his estranged wife for having an affair with a family friend, a court has heard.

Police say college instructor turned in accused hit man ...
archive.news10.net/.../Police-say-college-instructor-turned-in-accused-hit...
Mar 23, 2013 - SACRAMENTO, CA - A criminal justice student was arraigned Friday for the murder of a man whose wife allegedly offered him $10,000 for the ...

Sources: Officials believe suspect paid hitman $10,000 to ...
www.mercurynews.com/ci_8975978?source=rssSan Jose Mercury News
Apr 18, 2008 - Sources: Officials believe suspect paid hitman $10,000 to kill Los Gatos man ... He and Achilli had dated the same woman since the sale.

It would be pretty risky to use the credit cards of people who'd just been discovered murdered in the fire you'd just set IMO
The point I was making is that the level of rage, demonstrated by the various forms of torture, combined with the fact that US Currency (and Credit cards) was/were left at the murder scene; indicates to me that this was really a crime motivated by something more than getting all or half of the $40,000.

Just as an aside: Thieves do sell off stolen credit cards to unsuspecting other criminals...

He wouldn't have been paying the hitman but paying not to be hit.

I believe there is a possibility that the bank (and others) suspected the money as a ransom demand and loaded it with a "dye pack" inside on detectable by a special light or similar. Something changed the mindset after the money drop to stimulate it to a monster murder site. I just can't believe someone walked out of B of A with $40K in cash on demand and no red flags went off.

JMO's

If it was believed the money was for ransom, why didn't LE/FBI close in on the house before the fire was reported?

Every once in a while I have trouble loading the page -- I think because there is trouble loading one of the ads. On another note, one of the ads for a pet supply store had a picture that so uncannily resembled my shepard-mix pound puppy that I went over it marking by marking to satisfy myself that they hadn't come up with some clever and spooky way to access the photos on my computer and drop them into their ads.

omg, last night DH said the same thing about an ad with a picture that was doppleganger of our cat including markings. He was definitely spooked by it.

However, apparently some people feel $10k is enough money to take on the risk of killing someone.

That should have been a big red flag. Did they have checks written out and cashed or was the money just given. I can't believe no one had cops do a welfare check on the house. 40k cash to be left in car? Come on.

WHO knew it was to be left in car? The instructions were given by text for drop-off, iirc, to JW. Did he share that info. with the accountant? All the accountant might have known was that SS had instructed his personal assistant to deliver the requested cash to HIM and that it was for the dojo, as per SS communications. If SS had told accountant, look this cash is to be picked up by my assistant and he will deliver it to me as I need it for the dojo operations which I'm all about today, and that well-groomed, affable, personable, trusted assistant shows up at the bank to take the money to SS, why would red flags be raised? If SS trusted him as a personal assistant and driver, and he appeared a friend of the family, had a professional demeanor, went back with SS and PS to the race track, what's the red flag? JMO

True. Makes me wonder if it wasn't about the $40,000 at all and wasn't supposed to go on as long as it did. Maybe it started as a home invasion, jewelry, cash on hand, electronics, etc. then as an attempt to bargain for release, SS brought up the cash as opposed to DW knowing about the cash. Would explain why they came to the house with what seems to be unprepared. They didn't plan on staying there overnight. SS was stalling for more time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. If DDW was a hired hit man - and I am not discounting that theory at all!!!!! - he would be paid by the person who hired him.

I find it very unlikely that if he was hired, the person who hired him said "I can't pay you...but whatever you can get from the family is yours to keep!!"

That just makes zero sense.

I just can't believe someone walked out of B of A with $40K in cash on demand and no red flags went off.

JMO's

Snipped and BBM -
Me, neither! For business purposes especially, I would think you'd want/need a paper trail that could be more reliable than paying with cash and getting a receipt. Super hectic time trying to open a business two days from then and having all that cash could be problematic. I have a suspicious mind and if I was a bank employee, I'd be suspicious of anyone wanting that amount of cash in such a desperately short (to me) time. I could see a few hundred bucks for pizza or subs for everyone working together to get dojo ready.

If it was believed the money was for ransom, why didn't LE/FBI close in on the house before the fire was reported?

Exactly. If they went so far as to load it with a dye pack...why was the house set on fire 3 hours or so after the delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcee