DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To mark the month since this tragedy, I went over there about two hours ago to lay some flowers on the front steps leading up to their garden, where the chainlink fence bars entry to their front walk. There were three dried-up long-stemmed roses lying there from apparently a while ago, nothing else. I didn't linger but I noticed small clear glass shards littering the steps where I lay the flowers. On the small lawn between the street and their house, under Philip's window, was a pile of debris that included a bunched-up Oriental carpet. The cushions on their patio near the striped awning were all stacked up neatly, as if someone had taken them up to protect them from the recent rainy weather. Heart-breaking.

The street was deserted. It was so quiet. Nobody driving past, nobody jogging by. And this is a weekend when many people who have days off are often at home. And it was a beautiful (albeit hot) day, when many people are more likely to go outside. This stillness drove home the point of how, during a weekday when most people are away from their homes, in a way it may have been shockingly easy, despite it being broad daylight (at the beginning and the apex of the crime), for DDW et al not to be noticed casing the joint (aside from not fitting in if anyone had been around to notice them), making their entrance, and leaving.

I am still wondering if there other calls SS placed on Thursday which have not been publicized. Was he trying to arrange for more cash? Did he collect Silver and Gold coins? I am guessing he did keep some cash in the safe. Probably not a huge amount but some. I am sure he had a home office as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To mark the month since this tragedy, I went over there about two hours ago to lay some flowers on the front steps leading up to their garden, where the chainlink fence bars entry to their front walk. There were three dried-up long-stemmed roses lying there from apparently a while ago, nothing else. I didn't linger but I noticed small clear glass shards littering the steps where I lay the flowers. On the small lawn between the street and their house, under Philip's window, was a pile of debris that included a bunched-up Oriental carpet. The cushions on their patio near the striped awning were all stacked up neatly, as if someone had taken them up to protect them from the recent rainy weather. Heart-breaking.

The street was deserted. It was so quiet. Nobody driving past, nobody jogging by. And this is a weekend when many people who have days off are often at home. And it was a beautiful (albeit hot) day, when many people are more likely to go outside. This stillness drove home the point of how, during a weekday when most people are away from their homes, in a way it may have been shockingly easy, despite it being broad daylight (at the beginning and the apex of the crime), for DDW et al not to be noticed casing the joint (aside from not fitting in if anyone had been around to notice them), making their entrance, and leaving.

Thank you sharing this. I feel sad there were only three flowers. After all, four were brutally murdered. Even the fund for VF has not reached its $25,000 goal. It is like she just disappeared.

Yes, sister talked to him on Thursday morning. It came out right away, so I don't think sister was confused as to when she talked to SS.
Right! The only reason I checked on the call day was that SS seemed so absolutely normal to someone who knew him so well after a night of terror. That fact goes to show his tremendous fortitude in the face of extreme pressure, and my questioning MY memory of reports was not meant to challenge a surviving family members' integrity! That on Thursday a.m. he could maintain an appearance of total normalcy with an intimate should help us understand why others, whether listening to a VM or speaking with him in person, despite a niggling question about a sentence or two, never had a clue as to the extent of his duress and did not raise the alarm.

20/20 reported his having heard "shuffling sounds." I think if your wife's employer calls personally to explain, you do not continue knocking, insist he come out of the house, or call police to report that you think Mr. Savopoulos's family and your wife are being held captive. It is usually in hindsight, going over the call later that one finds things "strange," but he saw nothing at the house that should have alerted him to just how strange.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends who lost their loved ones. I cannot even imagine what they are going through but hope they know that we share their heartbreak. Take gentle care of one another.

Kind thoughts and prayers also go out to the law enforcement personnel who are committed to helping in every way possible while searching for answers.

Does anyone on this thread read Spanish? I wonder what the newspapers in El Salvador are reporting.

I just can't see NG knowing DW but this is a good point
1) She got the message after the fact 2) In her own words, she does not know why but she focused on Vera calling her cell. Each try went to voicemail. 3) she might not have Mr. Figueroa's cell phone number and might know he works nights to a.m

AS thus far, LE has not claimed NG lied to them and she, unlike Wint, is not listed on any of their documents as a probable cause subject or as charged with this crime NG should be off-limits in discussing actual or possible suspects. As I read Mods' advisories, talking to the press, washing windows at the Dojo, being married to a victim, or cutting lawns in the neighborhood does not mean a person's actions or words should be subject to our grilling.

This is not based on my opinion, but on my reading of Mod advisory. If the "rules" have changed, mods, please let us know.

1) She got the message after the fact 2) she says she doesn't know why but when she got the AS text and SS VM in the morning, she focused on Vera and tried to get through to her several times but iirc cal went to voicemail. 3) she might not have Mr. Figueroa's cell phone number and she might know he worked all night 4) We do not know that NG LIED to LE, and she, unlike Wint, is not listed on any CD or SW 5) yeah, I know that does not mean LE is not looking at her, but the way I read Mod's advisory, NG should be off-limits in discussing actual or possible suspects.

Making points about the case is one thing--implying that NG or Mr. Figueroa or any other survivor, victim, or person we have no information lied to LE or is under their suspicion should be totally OFF LIMITS. At which point, it has been established that any of the parties who have spoken to the press, are related to victims, are company officials, house workers etc. have indeed lied about facts highly relevant to the perpetration of this crime or LE names them in a probably cause warrant, fine.

This is just my reading of Mod advisory. If the "rules" have changed, please let us know. That a person has chosen to speak to the press, appeared on 20/20, or washed windows at the Dojo should not make it open season on her/him.

And as I posted before, there is no way NG knew DW.

This was really nice of you. You are a kind soul and people notice. Sometimes it's just nice to hear that. :)

Does anyone on this thread read Spanish? I wonder what the newspapers in El Salvador are reporting.

Interesting. My Spanish is serviceable (husband is fluent and speaks it with our kids; alas, he can't help out on this because he is working this evening. Also, he finds discussing this case too distressing and prefers to wait until info emerges during trial.) After I get the kids fed and in bed, I will dig around and report back.

1) She got the message after the fact 2) she says she doesn't know why but when she got the AS text and SS VM in the morning, she focused on Vera and tried to get through to her several times but iirc cal went to voicemail. 3) she might not have Mr. Figueroa's cell phone number and she might know he worked all night 4) We do not know that NG LIED to LE, and she, unlike Wint, is not listed on any CD or SW 5) yeah, I know that does not mean LE is not looking at her, but the way I read Mod's advisory, NG should be off-limits in discussing actual or possible suspects.

Making points about the case is one thing--implying that NG or Mr. Figueroa or any other survivor, victim, or person we have no information lied to LE or is under their suspicion should be totally OFF LIMITS. At which point, it has been established that any of the parties who have spoken to the press, are related to victims, are company officials, house workers etc. have indeed lied about facts highly relevant to the perpetration of this crime or LE names them in a probably cause warrant, fine.

This is just my reading of Mod advisory. If the "rules" have changed, please let us know. That a person has chosen to speak to the press, appeared on 20/20, or washed windows at the Dojo should not make it open season on her/him.

I tend to agree. Speaking in a confusing way that can be misconstrued by a reporter, being misquoted, heck even lying outright to a reporter due to stress or wanting to be seen as a central figure in something that has rocked her world, isn't illegal. It's different than lying to LE, who will continue to probe in order to get the facts straight.

It appears that she cared very much for the family and her longtime friend.

I don't know what makes people more or less inclined to open up to the media after tragedy, but it seems like the inclination to share openly (although obviously she is holding some info back, likely on the request of LE) would point more to innocence than the opposite.

Regardless that anything is possible at this point, there has been nothing to show that LE thinks she is even slightly suspicious, let alone a suspect.

Emmavoberry didn't NG also send a text to AS?

RE: JW's BMW search warrant return. Note, there is no reference to the so called "red bag" or "red lined bag" as noted in the SW. Obs: Red lined bag is probably a bag with a red lining.

Just out of curiosity, do you think DW was the mastermind behind this crime? Or, possibly hired by someone who has not been mentioned in the reports.

Just out of curiosity, do you think DW was the mastermind behind this crime? Or, possibly hired by someone who has not been mentioned in the reports.
IMO DW was the perpetrator of a plan to extract revenge and at the same time rob his prior employer. He expected a far greater take than the $40K and was stumped when he couldn't extort more. He may have had help but I do not believe he was a hired hand. I think his brother who was with him when he was arrested is involved in this in more ways than has been revealed.

This is such a good question. American news has focused primarily on the Savpoulos's family story, one that could well be called "An American Tragedy" which started, and endured for some time, as an American dream realized with hard work by exemplary people who "gave back," bettered the lives of others through their company and their charity, and who succeeded not only on a material level, but as members of a community, as parents, friends, neighbors living life to the fullest and concerned with lives beyond their own. We are also riveted to this case because of a little boy, mature beyond his age, already excelling, on whom no amount of love, care, resources would ever be lost. He, like his parents, would have grown up to be kind, prosperous, giving, and successful on multiple fronts of human endeavor.
Another country, El Salvador, will be burying its native daughter, Veralicia Figueroa. In the photo the media has shown of her, she appears to embody joyfulness and good will. What her story means to her fellow El Salvadorians and how people in the country she planned to return to, and the family she planned to return to, are experiencing her death or celebrating her life--and what their thoughts might be on America at this time--maybe investigating that might be a way of honoring her.
I had a student, an adult, whose wife had died in a civil war raging his "developing" country in Latin America. He told me he had to send his son back there because American schools were so violent!
We do not know when Mrs. Figueroa's funeral is, if her husband will be able to travel back there, how her family in El Salvador is bearing up.
Unlike the majority of people in the Hispanic-speaking community in America (and other ethnic communities whose English language skills are often looked down upon), I am not bi-lingual. I There's always online translators, but a Spanish-speaking WS-er could perhaps let us know how widely the crime is covered in news there and alert us to any articles we might learn more about VF and family in.

Just an FYI, the whole episode from 20/20 is up on YouTube and commercial free about 40 minutes viewing time.

I think, idk, that he created that position for him.

I believe that is true. Created in the recent past. Have never been able to link this so have never mentioned it. I heard on the news that the family attorneys had never heard of him, nor his position. Take it for what it is worth. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1