DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was probable cause he'd be in jail. As for the grand jury sleuthing, they do not do that. Essentially, they do what the prosecutor wants them to do. And there's no reason to question the prosecutor in this case.

Correct me if I'm wrong (NOT all at once!!!) but once LE names someone as a suspect, they must "Mirandize" him/her. The suspect is no longer free to leave at any time and knows anything they say can be used against them in building LE's case. Until the person is named a suspect, he/she can leave at any time and are a "cooperating witness" or something. Anything they say can still be used in court, but the interviewee does not have to be notified of that fact until they are deemed a suspect by LE. Makes for a less adversarial relationship and seldom involves the interviewee bringing his lawyer along for company. More or less?

Sadly, there may actually be some people out there that could be convinced of this . Hopefully they will not be jurors on this case .

"Gutierrez, the family's housekeeper of 20 years, said an assistant was scheduled to drop off $40,000 in cash to the home Thursday to be used for the opening of a martial arts center in Chantilly, Va. Gutierrez claims she spoke with the unnamed assistant who confirmed the money was delivered Thursday morning to the $5 million mansion on Woodland Drive near the National Cathedral. Police have not commented on Gutierrez's claim, citing an ongoing investigation."

This quote comes from a May 20, 2015 Fox News report.

That is exactly the point! And why was it only $20K. Where was the other half?

It wasn't feet away IMO.
IMO if there was any link btwn JW and DW the police would have arrested JW. Apparently his story has checked out via independent sources. Tomorrow will be five weeks since the murder. JW was the first one investigated. IMO he's been determined to be only a witness and not involved

View attachment 76542

#tenuous
NO ONE who did not have the blood of victims on his/her shoe, DNA linking him/her to the room in which three of the murders took place, and who has not been identified on video at the site of the burning Porsche has been arrested. That only DW has been arrested so far could mean
1) All persons found in the convoy with DW have also been determined by LE not to be involved in any way with any part of the crime and like JW are witnesses --can we say that is TRUE?
2) For reasons to be disclosed at a later time, LE has not yet arrested anyone else they suspect to be involved in any part of this crime, but DW

I think #2 sounds right. DW's attorney alludes to a defense based on other people who did the crime setting up his client. DW could talk. LE has never distanced itself from their contention that more people were involved, yet despite much evidence collection and interviewing (more than we know about), only DW sits in jail. That fact does not mean JW "checks out."

More will be revealed.
LE has not cleared JW. They have not cleared the five arrested with Wint.
They have not made all the arrests they will make. Those arrests may or may not include JW.
JMO

"Gutierrez, the family's housekeeper of 20 years, said an assistant was scheduled to drop off $40,000 in cash to the home Thursday to be used for the opening of a martial arts center in Chantilly, Va. Gutierrez claims she spoke with the unnamed assistant who confirmed the money was delivered Thursday morning to the $5 million mansion on Woodland Drive near the National Cathedral. Police have not commented on Gutierrez's claim, citing an ongoing investigation."

Maybe the $40k was prize money for the Dojo competition winners. Why the flurry of calls Wednesday if this was pre-arranged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there was probable cause he'd be in jail. As for the grand jury sleuthing, they do not do that. Essentially, they do what the prosecutor wants them to do. And there's no reason to question the prosecutor in this case.
Not necessarily.

Not what I meant!

Oh. Shoot. Then maybe he just means JW. I do hope he names any others involved and they are brought to swift justice. (Although I fear it will not be swift at all.)

Two odd things showed in the spider web Google searches I do.

1. A YouTube video of a business robbery in the 4200 block of Connecticut Avenue last November. Red bag.

2. A wordpress blog with a very inflammatory with a very bad graphic by a student/guy who was in the news in south Georgia in April. I will not post here. Ugh to the guy and his hate- mongering.

Tonight I will mine JW. I do not think he is involved. I think he is on protective custody. JMO.

Also on May 20th, WaPo:

Gutierrez said that she knew nothing about the money that was dropped off May 14 and that she had never seen the assistant or anyone else drop off cash to the Savopoulos home in the 20 years she had worked there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...00af9e-ff07-11e4-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

BBM

So hard to know what actually happened!

Correct me if I'm wrong (NOT all at once!!!) but once LE names someone as a suspect, they must "Mirandize" him/her. The suspect is no longer free to leave at any time and knows anything they say can be used against them in building LE's case. Until the person is named a suspect, he/she can leave at any time and are a "cooperating witness" or something. Anything they say can still be used in court, but the interviewee does not have to be notified of that fact until they are deemed a suspect by LE. Makes for a less adversarial relationship and seldom involves the interviewee bringing his lawyer along for company. More or less?

Its not the public naming of a suspect that triggers Miranda warnings, its the arrest. Specifically, if they are in custody, meaning they aren't free to leave, you cannot question them without the warnings. If they are free to leave you don't need to give them the warnings. JW was not under arrest the day of the murders so they did not need to give him the warnings. he was free to leave, and presumably did eventually.

Maybe the $40k was prize money for the Dojo competition winners. Why the flurry of calls Wednesday if this was pre-arranged?

I think if it were worded this way, it wouldn't be a question: "Gutierrez claims she spoke with an unnamed assistant who confirmed that he made a scheduled drop off of $40,000 in cash to the home..."

This is correct.

Yeah, totally possible that the two families never crossed paths. However, I think it's important to note that two people can know each other, or know OF each other, without liking each other, having a lot in common or hanging out together. I know that's kind of obvious, but a crime seems like a biz transaction. You're looking for a willing partner with the right skill set, not necessarily a buddy.

JMO VERY important to note!

Its not the public naming of a suspect that triggers Miranda warnings, its the arrest. Specifically, if they are in custody, meaning they aren't free to leave, you cannot question them without the warnings. If they are free to leave you don't need to give them the warnings. JW was not under arrest the day of the murders so they did not need to give him the warnings. he was free to leave, and presumably did eventually.

Yes, but once LE deems someone a suspect, they must read him/her his/her rights. Even if they aren't arresting him/her. If they are later shown to have suspected the interviewee and not Mirandized him/her, the interview can be thrown out. After questioning the suspect, LE can release him/her if they don't have enough to charge him/her. Y/N?

This is what I've understood from Hanover's comments: he was asked if DW would try to reach a plea deal and he said "I don't know yet I haven't seen all the evidence." That is the correct answer though he shouldn't be blabbing at all. As for the idea that DW is taking the fall, I'm sure DW said that. He's thinking why am I the only one in jail? That does indicate possibly others were involved, no surprise, but its not really a defense. The bottom line is that Hanover has no idea what the defense will be. He hasn't reviewed the evidence. So anything he says is not particularly informative. Add to that his incredible inexperience.

Yeah, totally possible that the two families never crossed paths. However, I think it's important to note that two people can know each other, or know OF each other, without liking each other, having a lot in common or hanging out together. I know that's kind of obvious, but a crime seems like a biz transaction. You're looking for a willing partner with the right skill set, not necessarily a buddy.

I just don't see JW as the master mind behind a violent home invasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1