DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/07/20/quadruple-murder-case-suspect-appears-in-court.htm

Ago had Owens concede that police found the registration to Savvas Savopoulos' red Mozler, which Owens' said cost as much as $300,000, in the driver's car along with the driver's passport and checkbook.
Later Owens testified that the driver regularly ran errands for Savvas Savopoulos, including bringing cars in for inspections and other repairs.

I have never been asked to produce my registration for an emissions test, inspection, oil change, car wash, vehicle repair, body work, or new tires. Never. Not once.

I have never been asked to produce my registration for an emissions test, inspection, oil change, car wash, vehicle repair, body work, or new tires. Never. Not once.

And SS got the emissions test done before JW started working for him. The rest can be done online, so no need at all for JW to have that registration. None. Zero. It would have made more sense if JW said SS gave it to him because he didn't need it anymore and knew JW would like to have it. (Which still doesn't make sense to me, but at least it would be based on "feelings" instead of "facts".)

He was never named a suspect, so he couldn't still be a suspect. I'm sure LE has investigated him thoroughly, and perhaps continues to investigate him. Just because the information they've found out hasn't been made public, doesn't mean they have found evidence that implicates him or eliminates him from involvement in this crime. I'm not assuming that anything they've learned has moved them toward or away from JW as involved, because LE has never changed what they're saying about him. They never said he was a suspect, even when they were searching his car and phone. After those searches, they still haven't said he is a suspect. I think they're keeping their options open. JMO

Correct. He had not been declared to be or not to be a suspect prior to the prelim. Except on July 20 Det. Owens said the driver is not a suspect in the case. In court. Under oath

And from when his phone pinged in VA after 1:30 pm to when he approached LE to say his car was inside the crime tape.

I still thinking leaving and coming back, "hours later" is weird behavior for someone who drove all the way to the scene and for someone who knew people in the house.

Correct. He had not been declared to be or not to be a suspect prior to the prelim. Except on July 20 Det. Owens said the driver is not a suspect in the case. In court. Under oath

He also said, in court, under oath, that he "didn't know" why JW had in his possession $20,000 before he was seen on video in the bank, getting the money, so I think it is fair to say that his answers to the questions were construed quite narrowly.

I'm glad you guys saw the Vimeo BRC with the green BMW - I assumed everyone had watched those videos and already knew the color of his car… so in case you didn't see this one, it's older - three years - but has JW in a neon green/yellow vest at 3:10. [video=vimeo;32557866]https://vimeo.com/32557866[/video]
I wonder if these are commonly used on race tracks and maybe that's why SS had some?

He also said, in court, under oath, that he "didn't know" why JW had in his possession $20,000 before he was seen on video in the bank, getting the money, so I think it is fair to say that his answers to the questions were construed quite narrowly.

He answered a defense question that he didn't know how a picture of the money could be texted at 9 am when the money was withdrawn at 9:40.
Later the prosecutor had him testify the true time of the pic was 9:57
The guy ain't a suspect. He's a witness.
JMO

http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/07/20/quadruple-murder-case-suspect-appears-in-court.htm

Ago had Owens concede that police found the registration to Savvas Savopoulos' red Mozler, which Owens' said cost as much as $300,000, in the driver's car along with the driver's passport and checkbook.
Later Owens testified that the driver regularly ran errands for Savvas Savopoulos, including bringing cars in for inspections and other repairs.

Thank you.

It would be good to know if SS had JW take the Mosler in for inspection and repairs. We know the emissions test was done before JW started working for SS, so JW wouldn't need to do that. (It passed the emissions test.) The registration can be done on line, so JW wouldn't need the registration for that. (We still don't know if SS had the registration renewed at that time and it just doesn't show up on the Carfax or if the car registration has not been renewed.) I find it hard to believe that SS would allow JW to drive the Mosler further than the door of an office building to a parking space if he wasn't with him and no repairs show up on the Carfax since JW started working for SS (not that there couldn't have been some that weren't recorded. SS had the door weather strip replaced in June 2012.) Even so, why would JW need the registration to drop off/pick up a car for repairs?

Owen's answer is pretty vague and general, so it doesn't explain to me why JW had the expired registration in his backpack.

I still thinking leaving and coming back, "hours later" is weird behavior for someone who drove all the way to the scene and for someone who knew people in the house.

ITA. I would expect him to find a detective right away to tell him/her what happened that morning. It seems like that's what the accountant and W2 may have done upon learning about the fire/murders. Did NG see him at the scene? Where did he go?

Thank you.

It would be good to know if SS had JW take the Mosler in for inspection and repairs. We know the emissions test was done before JW started working for SS, so JW wouldn't need to do that. (It passed the emissions test.) The registration can be done on line, so JW wouldn't need the registration for that. (We still don't know if SS had the registration renewed at that time and it just doesn't show up on the Carfax or if the car registration has not been renewed.) I find it hard to believe that SS would allow JW to drive the Mosler further than the door of an office building to a parking space if he wasn't with him and no repairs show up on the Carfax since JW started working for SS (not that there couldn't have been some that weren't recorded. SS had the door weather strip replaced in June 2012.) Even so, why would JW need the registration to drop off/pick up a car for repairs?

Owen's answer is pretty vague and general, so it doesn't explain to me why JW had the expired registration in his backpack.

You're welcome

IMO Det. Owens is an experienced investigator. I trust his word under oath. He's investigating a horrific multiple murder. I think he took it very seriously and has evidence to support his statements.
JMO

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/58000VEI/58000-06T.htm

I forget where the Mosler was registered (DC or MD), but the MD page does have registration listed as what to bring with for an emissions test. Not really defending JW here, just noticed it is in fact listed as something that could be needed- especially since it says test notice and/or reg card, maybe it would just be easier for him to have the reg than worry about getting the test notice? IDK

"What should I bring for the test?

You should bring your vehicle, the test notice, and/or your registration card, along with the test fee. You can pay your test fee by cash, MasterCard, VISA, American Express, check (made payable to VEIP), money order or traveler's check."

Where is this pool? Is it in that notorious apartment complex?

No. I tried valiantly to find that pool a long time ago, using Google Maps to look behind - let's just say - all sorts of people's apartment complexes, on streets like Maple Ave. Schools, too. It's definitely not from the 85th Ave apartments. Those are very rectangular. You'll notice the edge is curved. It looks like the back of an abandoned school or older office building, maybe an apartment. He shot another video, one of the earliest ones, skate boarding. It could be from that area somewhere which I think is up by where he lived with his…. where he lived.

Interesting you had the same thought!

You're welcome

IMO Det. Owens is an experienced investigator. I trust his word under oath. He's investigating a horrific multiple murder. I think he took it very seriously and has evidence to support his statements.
JMO

I agree. Just because LE suspects someone, doesn't mean they are "a suspect". In fact, I'm not sure calling someone a suspect vs. not a suspect makes any difference as far as an investigation is concerned. Isn't that designation really more for public consumption? Does it affect how the "suspect" is treated in interviews, etc.? (I think it would affect how a "suspect" would respond in interviews!)

I found this interesting, as I don't believe there is an actual legal definition of "suspect", unlike "defendant" or "perpetrator".

In the law enforcement jargon, a suspect is a known person accused or suspected of committing a crime. Police and reporters in the United States often use the word suspect as a jargon when referring to the perpetrator of the offense (perp in dated US slang). However in official definition, the perpetrator is the robber, assailant, counterfeiter, etc.—the person who actually committed the crime. The distinction between suspect and perpetrator recognizes that the suspect is not known to have committed the offense, while the perpetrator—who may not yet have been suspected of the crime, and is thus not necessarily a suspect—is the one who actually did. The suspect may be a different person from the perpetrator, or there may have been no actual crime, which would mean there is no perpetrator.[1]

A common error in police reports is a witness description of the suspect (as a witness generally describes a perpetrator, while a mug shot is of suspect). Frequently it is stated that police are looking for the suspect, when there is no suspect; the police could be looking for a suspect, but they are surely looking for the perpetrator, and very often it is impossible to tell from such a police report whether there is a suspect or not.

Possibly because of the misuse of suspect to mean perpetrator, police in the early 21st century began to use person of interest, possible suspect, and even possible person of interest, to mean suspect.

Under the judicial systems of the U.S., once a decision is approved to arrest a suspect, or bind him over for trial, either by a prosecutor issuing an information, a grand jury issuing a true bill or indictment, or a judge issuing an arrest warrant, the suspect can then be properly called a defendant, or the accused. Only after being convicted is the suspect properly called the perpetrator.

BBM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspect

More on legal definition of suspect.

Suspect Law & Legal Definition

In criminal law, a suspect is someone who is under suspicion, often formally announced as being under investigation by law enforcement officials. Probable cause for an arrest exists when the facts and circumstances within the arresting officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe that a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime.

Once a person is determined to be a prime suspect (the person believed most likely to have committed the crime), the police must be careful to give the "Miranda warnings," or or else any statements or admissions by the suspect may be excluded from evidence in trial. Once a suspect under arrest tell a law enforcement officer that he wants an attorney, all interrogation must cease, subject to certain exceptions.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/s/suspect/

It appears someone does not have to be mirandized until they are a "suspect". That seems like a good reason to hold off calling someone a suspect until all the evidence is in. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1