DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From information provided thus far, JW definitely provided his name and the reason he was in the neighborhood.

I don't recall in the PH transcript where "it was very, very clear that JW returned to the scene and asked for his car PRIOR to him being taken to homicide".
Where is that in the transcript? TIA

On page 17, it reads to me that Owens corrected his answer on line 16.

To be clear, JW returned to his Car and asked to be allowed to drive it. There is no information on his whereabouts in or away from the neighborhood of the crime scene. He may have been one of the many people on the street discussing the events of the day.

I posted it upthread. It was discussed in the bench convo that Bach wanted to do ex parte. She did not want to divulge to Ago info about the unexecuted SW by putting Owens in the situation where he had to testify about if asked about the phones and whether records showed they were used to contact any numbers associated with Wint. The interesting thing is that they have not been located at any of the places associated with Wint or with his belongings. It "seemed" like one potential reason she wouldn't have wanted Ago to know is because the new SW was for a place associated with someone besides Wint, which could have given Ago ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO if they have not recovered those phones by now they never will. Even a half-wit perp would have certainly destroyed and trashed those phones by now.

I guess mush-mind could also explain the lying or forgetting or whatever it was that lead to the differing version of events that were given to metro police, but I still find that one of the most puzzling things about this case. Why not tell the truth? The events were just that morning/evening prior. It doesn't make sense.

JW might have told the truth. Who knows if he did or didn't tell the truth? Who knows what he told LE? Who heard his interview? Who knows the facts of the case relevant to what he told LE? LE could have gotten it wrong and/or mischaracterized questions and answers of their interview of JW. LE getting aspects wrong is not unheard of.

IMO if they have not recovered those phones by now they never will. Even a half-wit perp would have certainly destroyed and trashed those phones by now.

In that case maybe it just seemed like that's what they are searching for since we weren't privy to the whole conversation. Or they feel obligated to search for them even if there is no chance they still exist in anyplace where they could found.

JW might have told the truth. Who knows if he did or didn't tell the truth? Who knows what he told LE? Who heard his interview? Who knows the facts of the case relevant to what he told LE? LE could have gotten it wrong and/or mischaracterized questions and answers of their interview of JW. LE getting aspects wrong is not unheard of.

It's on video, so if the lead detective ever watches it, maybe he will be able to clear up that JW did not lie and was mischaracterized by the other detectives on his team, if that's the case, of course.

It's on video, so if the lead detective ever watches it, maybe he will be able to clear up that JW did not lie and was mischaracterized by the other detectives on his team, if that's the case, of course.

It might not be on video to watch; it could be audio to hear, per PH:

Q Detective, I want to turn your attention to a person identified in your affidavit as W-1. Did you speak to W-1directly?
A No.
Q Did you speak to -- I take it the metropolitan police have spoken to W-1?
A Yes.
Q And did you speak to the police officers or detectives who spoke to W-1?
A Yes.
Q Okay. And is your characterization of what W-1, um, told in the affidavit based on those conversations with the police or those detectives?
A Yes.
Q And was W-1's -- was any of W-1's interviews by MPD videotaped or recorded?
A Yeah.
Q Did you view those videotapes or listen to those recordings?
A No.

PH transcript, page 16 & 17
http://www.scribd.com/doc/272950986/D-Wint-Savopoulos-Preliminary-Hearing

Kasabian had an immunity deal with the State. JW has no deal iirc from prelim transcript
does not mean they don't have a deal or one is in the works. Again, just because someone is not charged with a crime does not mean they were not involved or were "small fish."
Over and over again some cling to the mantra that dw acted alone. Yet, le with much more knowledge of the case has always maintained that dw had help. I am not saying jw was involved but of all the potential people who are witnesses in this case he is the most likely.

I can only imagine the wealth of knowledge and the opportunities that JW could and would have enjoyed for working closely with SS in just one year. His getting that job would be like winning a lottery for JW IMO. I think upon JW finding the burning house, then the murdered victims inside and the fact that just hours before he delivered $40K to that house he started asking himself questions long before LE asked them.

No doubt his initial reaction would be to lessen any connection to the tragedy. After all he really was the first POI whether he liked it or not...simply by association.

JMO's

It might not be on video to watch; it could be audio to hear, per PH:

Q Detective, I want to turn your attention to a person identified in your affidavit as W-1. Did you speak to W-1directly?
A No.
Q Did you speak to -- I take it the metropolitan police have spoken to W-1?
A Yes.
Q And did you speak to the police officers or detectives who spoke to W-1?
A Yes.
Q Okay. And is your characterization of what W-1, um, told in the affidavit based on those conversations with the police or those detectives?
A Yes.
Q And was W-1's -- was any of W-1's interviews by MPD videotaped or recorded?
A Yeah.
Q Did you view those videotapes or listen to those recordings?
A No.

PH transcript, page 16 & 17
http://www.scribd.com/doc/272950986/D-Wint-Savopoulos-Preliminary-Hearing

Kind of odd that the "lead detective" would not have reviewed this. JMO

does not mean they don't have a deal or one is in the works. Again, just because someone is not charged with a crime does not mean they were not involved or were "small fish."
Over and over again some cling to the mantra that dw acted alone. Yet, le with much more knowledge of the case has always maintained that dw had help. I am not saying jw was involved but of all the potential people who are witnesses in this case he is the most likely.

I disagree. The fact that the asst. U.S. Atty said he had been vilified by the media indicates IMO that JW is in fact the least likely. More likely IMO are the convoy members.

The evidence that he identifies white comes from the Maryland Case Search. He did not identify as African American, but rather in the Caucasian category that is provided.

well, for LE purposes he is going to identify 'white.' Why wouldn't he?

I am thinking, for most likely, if I had to guess right now, I would put a check next to the guy who was dispersing cash and directions for money to be laundered. The SW, if we even ever find out who is associated with it, might be telling as to another person LE might have in their sights.

I can only imagine the wealth of knowledge and the opportunities that JW could and would have enjoyed for working closely with SS in just one year. His getting that job would be like winning a lottery for JW IMO. I think upon JW finding the burning house, then the murdered victims inside and the fact that just hours before he delivered $40K to that house he started asking himself questions long before LE asked them.

No doubt his initial reaction would be to lessen any connection to the tragedy. After all he really was the first POI whether he liked it or not...simply by association.

JMO's

I tend to agree. However, we do not know many details of his employment capacity with the S family. We do not know if he was a salaried employee of AIW or if this was an "under the table" arrangement. We do not know if it was full-time or part-time. We do not know if it was a permanent position or if it was just temporary. For all we know, Mr. S may have just figured that he could use an extra set of hands until the dojo opened. Until we have more details, I do not feel it is accurate to call this a "dream job".

Oh boy...
I simply said that any d.a. Has at times made deals with guilty people. You can infer all you want from what someone says to he media as to whether or not someone has been "cleared". As an aside, Susan Atkins was offered immunity in writing before the case went to trial, she turned it down and that's why Kasabian was offered the deal and it wasn't during prelim, so there.
Secondly, is the person that was distributing the money n the van been named a witness?

Kind of odd that the "lead detective" would not have reviewed this. JMO

I don't think so. The others are also detectives. He trusts what they tell him. Why listen to it himself when he has a zillion other more pressing concerns?

Oh boy...
I simply said that any d.a. Has at times made deals with guilty people. You can infer all you want from what someone says to the media as to whether or not someone has been "cleared". As an aside, Susan Atkins was offered immunity in writing before the case went to trial, she turned it down and that's why Kasabian was offered the deal and it wasn't during prelim, so there.
Secondly, is the person that was distributing the money n the van been named a witness?

To be clear, JW returned to his Car and asked to be allowed to drive it. There is no information on his whereabouts in or away from the neighborhood of the crime scene. He may have been one of the many people on the street discussing the events of the day.

Owens said he "returned", then corrected and said "went up to the scene near 3201". Maybe JW was there the whole time yet never talked to LE, and Owens chose to use vague (even slightly misleading) language for some reason. Owens never said JW "returned to the the car". On top of that, when Ago specifically asked Owens if JW returned to the area of 3201 and parked his car before the tape went up, Owens answered, "Well, at some point the tape was put up and his car was there." Seems like he would have just said yes.

ETA: For clarity, this almost made it seem like Owens was leaving it open that JW might not have returned to the scene from Chantilly and parked his car where tape would eventually go up, but that instead his car had already been there. No idea, just a weird add-on.

Oh boy...
I simply said that any d.a. Has at times made deals with guilty people. You can infer all you want from what someone says to the media as to whether or not someone has been "cleared". As an aside, Susan Atkins was offered immunity in writing before the case went to trial, she turned it down and that's why Kasabian was offered the deal and it wasn't during prelim, so there.

I don't think money guy has been named a witness that we know of.
I am curious about the strategy of all this. It seems like the prosecution wanted to wait until after the PH before executing this other SW. Would that be because they didn't want the defense to have more ammo during the PH? Would they wait to charge anyone else until after the PH? At this point, would the prosecution even be making deals with witnesses for testimony? That just has to happen before trial, right?

I don't think so. The others are also detectives. He trusts what they tell him. Why listen to it himself when he has a zillion other more pressing concerns?

I would think he would review it because they asserted that the young man who delivered the ransom money lied about his actions several times and he was representing that information into an official doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1