DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On another note, the savopoulos home is for sale for 3,250,000. I just read it on the internet .

We know that Daron Wint, was employed at American Iron Works from 2003-2005 before being fired.

We know that Wint's termination was not his last contact with the company:
- According to the AP, Wint was arrested outside the headquarters of American Iron Works in 2010. At the time of the incident, he was reportedly armed with a BB pistol and a machete. The weapons charges were reportedly dropped when Wint pleaded guilty to possessing an open container of alcohol.

Stratfor Global Intelligence VP of Tactical Analysis, Scott Stewart, writes:
"Based on my experience in dealing with angry and mentally disturbed former employees, it would seem very unusual for a person to suddenly develop an unhealthy focus on their former employer after a five-year period of no contact. It is even more unusual to target the company's CEO after 10 years with no other contact."

Stewart, who before joining Stratfor was the lead State Department investigator assigned the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and the follow-up New York City bomb plot, continues:

"Because of this, I believe it is highly likely that Wint was a known problem prior to the 2010 incident and had made threatening communications either prior to or after his termination — as well as likely between his firing and when he showed up at the corporate headquarters reportedly armed and intoxicated. It is also probable that he has had communication with American Iron Works, and perhaps even Savopoulos, since the 2010 incident."

Source:
https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/savopoulos-case-study-protective-intelligence

I share this because I agree with Stewart's analysis and would suggest that either there was ongoing threats between 2005-2010 and 2010-2015 that have not been revealed or Wint was aided by an individual with unique insights into Savvas.

He wasn't at the company when he was arrested. He was at a gas station not even that close to the office. Not sure AIW even knew about his arrest or that it had anything at all to do with AIW.

Maybe no one but Wint had an appetite given that they were engaging in a pretty serious crime?

But you'd think you'd have to be starving with zero food in the SS house in order to risk everything by ordering a pizza. Kind of risky and stupid if you ask me.

Hello all... I have not read but a few of the most recent pages here for this case, so I have no idea to what extent that the alarm triggered "At 5:56 p.m. May 13, the alarm company that monitored the Savopoulos family home received a “broken glass alert” for French doors that lead into the stately D.C. house. Authorities now believe that the alarm was triggered by a killer (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/man-charged-in-quadruple-killings-scheduled-to-appear-in-court-monday/2015/07/17/4731d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html)". I also have no idea if this is current info or if this has since been questioned or not, but I'm wondering if the alarm could have not been triggered by glass actually breaking, but by screaming. I have a 2 year old and he went through a phase when he thought it was hilarious to scream in the hallway where it could echo and also trigger our alarm system (just a 'chirp', not the siren/alarm sound for when the alarm itself has been triggered. Each trigger has it's own unique sound (doors open/closing have a sound, activate/deactivate alarm has sound, etc.). Just thought I would throw that out there into the discussion in case it had not been considered.

I agree -- I mentioned several threads ago that I think an "alert" is different from an alarm being triggered.

In my system, which I think is fairly typical, I have glass break detectors in certain parts of the house, including the sun room which is right off the kitchen. The glass break detectors work by detecting certain sound frequencies usually associated with glass... but they can be triggered by a dog barking at a certain pitch, or even a slamming cupboard in the kitchen. The only time that would trigger an alarm would be if I had the system set. Otherwise, the 'event' is logged but does not trigger the police or a call from the alarm company.

During the day I think most people don't set their alarms unless there is some reason to feel spooked. Even if the alarm is set, the alarm monitoring companies call to confirm that there really is a problem. It could be that during that time of the year when 5-6 PM is light out and family and staff are coming and going, Amy would not have had the alarm set. If it was set, there would first be a call from the monitoring company before police were sent. I have not seen any reports that there was a call, but even if there was one, we know Wint was forcing family members to say certain things to people with whom they came into contact on the phone. So, I agree... the glass break detector could have detected many different types of sounds -- a scream, a window broken, something broken in a struggle, the S family dogs barking -- and just because it was triggered, that does not mean that anyone outside the house would have known anything was wrong.

But you'd think you'd have to be starving with zero food in the SS house in order to risk everything by ordering a pizza. Kind of risky and stupid if you ask me.

I totally agree that it was risky and stupid, but I don't think it's necessarily the case that Wint ordered it in order to have a pizza party with the S family. If he was planning to share, it was probably with others. Otherwise maybe when Wint had Amy call, she just ordered the default that Dominos had on file for her family without worrying that she was wasting $5 on the extra pie given that her life was on the line.

Wint is stupid. He ranks right up there with the dumbest criminals ever. Wears rubber gloves at the crime scene, but then allows the family to order pizza and takes his gloves off to eat a couple of slices of pie leaving the crusts with his saliva.

I stand by Amy was thinking about Philip having not been able to eat since noon or maybe an afternoon snack. Wint happened to be hungry too and since he was allowing Savvas to make calls he allowed Amy to order pizza. Wint wanted pepperoni and the cheese pizza was for Philip. Philip, however, refused to eat any of the pizza after it was delivered and that angered Wint more. He probably hit/beat or cut the child for refusing to eat after Wint was sooo generous and nice and kind in allowing Amy to order the pizza for them. He probably called Philip a rich, ungrateful, snotty-nosed, spoiled brat when Philip refused to eat the pizza. Wint probably only ate a couple of slices, but he too wasn't as hungry after beating the child and perhaps Amy. Wint really might not even like pizza, but he was being "nice" because he knew all kids liked pizza. . . I don't think pizza would have been ordered at all if Amy or Savvas had not suggested it. Who really knows? Just my opinion.

Wint is stupid. He ranks right up there with the dumbest criminals ever. Wears rubber gloves at the crime scene, but then allows the family to order pizza and takes his gloves off to eat a couple of slices of pie leaving the crusts with his saliva.

I stand by Amy was thinking about Philip having not been able to eat since noon or maybe an afternoon snack. Wint happened to be hungry too and since he was allowing Savvas to make calls he allowed Amy to order pizza. Wint wanted pepperoni and the cheese pizza was for Philip. Philip, however, refused to eat any of the pizza after it was delivered and that angered Wint more. He probably hit/beat or cut the child for refusing to eat after Wint was sooo generous and nice and kind in allowing Amy to order the pizza for them. He probably called Philip a rich, ungrateful, snotty-nosed, spoiled brat when Philip refused to eat the pizza. Wint probably only ate a couple of slices, but he too wasn't as hungry after beating the child and perhaps Amy. Wint really might not even like pizza, but he was being "nice" because he knew all kids liked pizza. . . I don't think pizza would have been ordered at all if Amy or Savvas had not suggested it. Who really knows? Just my opinion.

I have trouble believing that Wint cared if anyone in the S family was hungry or that he'd unrestrain them in order to let them eat. JMO.

Didnt the the alarm "alert" or whatever occur at 6 pm ? This is around the time Savvas would have arrived home correct? The police still say no sign of forced entry, but has anyone confirmed that the French door window downstairs was indeed broken.
Could be that Savvas kicked out French door window hoping to trigger alarm if he was struggling with the perps. Just a thought.

Didnt the the alarm "alert" or whatever occur at 6 pm ? This is around the time Savvas would have arrived home correct? The police still say no sign of forced entry, but has anyone confirmed that the French door window downstairs was indeed broken.
Could be that Savvas kicked out French door window hoping to trigger alarm if he was struggling with the perps. Just a thought.

"At 5:56 p.m. May 13, the alarm company that monitored the Savopoulos family home received a “broken glass alert” for French doors that lead into the stately D.C. house. Authorities now believe that the alarm was triggered by a killer."

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29230638/search-warrants-cell-phones-stolen-savopoulos-murders

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...31d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

"At 5:56 p.m. May 13, the alarm company that monitored the Savopoulos family home received a “broken glass alert” for French doors that lead into the stately D.C. house. Authorities now believe that the alarm was triggered by a killer."

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29230638/search-warrants-cell-phones-stolen-savopoulos-murders

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...31d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

For what it's worth, whenever one of my glass break detectors is triggered, it shows in the logs as "glass break alert" on whatever window or door is monitored by the detector. That doesn't necessarily mean that glass has broken, as I mentioned above -- those can be triggered by many loud noises.

I wonder if Philip was aware that the alarm could be triggered by loud noises?

"The warrant says a shoe or boot print was found by investigators on an exterior French-style door of the Savopoulos' home and it suggests there was forced entry into the house. The door had a single broken window pane and was broken near the lock. Investigators are now searching for any shoe or boot with a similar tread pattern."

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/2249087-story

Was the broken glass also attributed to a firefighter?

You bring up a good point about being lazy and not having the code set during the day... my husband got so furious about that very issue (I work from home when not traveling for work, so I may leave my desk and go upstairs for a shower or to switch out laundry or something). I would have the sliding glass door open to let the breeze in, and be upstairs with no alarm on. Husband's solution: autoset. Certain access point of a home (front door, back door are common) will automatically set the code after the door has opened and then remained closed for 30, 60, or 90 seconds. It will then 'chirp' to announce the alarm was set from that location. Just a way for us forgetful folks to have additional security!

I agree -- I mentioned several threads ago that I think an "alert" is different from an alarm being triggered.

In my system, which I think is fairly typical, I have glass break detectors in certain parts of the house, including the sun room which is right off the kitchen. The glass break detectors work by detecting certain sound frequencies usually associated with glass... but they can be triggered by a dog barking at a certain pitch, or even a slamming cupboard in the kitchen. The only time that would trigger an alarm would be if I had the system set. Otherwise, the 'event' is logged but does not trigger the police or a call from the alarm company.

During the day I think most people don't set their alarms unless there is some reason to feel spooked. Even if the alarm is set, the alarm monitoring companies call to confirm that there really is a problem. It could be that during that time of the year when 5-6 PM is light out and family and staff are coming and going, Amy would not have had the alarm set. If it was set, there would first be a call from the monitoring company before police were sent. I have not seen any reports that there was a call, but even if there was one, we know Wint was forcing family members to say certain things to people with whom they came into contact on the phone. So, I agree... the glass break detector could have detected many different types of sounds -- a scream, a window broken, something broken in a struggle, the S family dogs barking -- and just because it was triggered, that does not mean that anyone outside the house would have known anything was wrong.

I wonder if Philip was aware that the alarm could be triggered by loud noises?

"The warrant says a shoe or boot print was found by investigators on an exterior French-style door of the Savopoulos' home and it suggests there was forced entry into the house. The door had a single broken window pane and was broken near the lock. Investigators are now searching for any shoe or boot with a similar tread pattern."

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/2249087-story

Was the broken glass also attributed to a firefighter?

Good question. The boot print was eventually matched to a fireman. Not sure about the glass but the prelim testimony seems to suggest the police think Wint began the crime at the time the glass break report was logged

P
Good question. The boot print was eventually matched to a fireman. Not sure about the glass but the prelim testimony seems to suggest the police think Wint began the crime at the time the glass break report was logged
If the crime began at or around 6 pm that would mean that Vera really was asked by Amy to spend the night as she was only scheduled to work until 3 pm according to Nellie anyway. Strange that she didn't call her husband herself to let him know about this between 3 and 6 pm isn't it?

I very much doubt Amy asked Vera to spend the night. She hasn't done it before, and there was no reason for her to start. NG hasn't been the most reliable or most consistent of witnesses, so who knows if there is any validity in the claim that Vera was planning on going home at 3 pm.

For what it's worth, whenever one of my glass break detectors is triggered, it shows in the logs as "glass break alert" on whatever window or door is monitored by the detector. That doesn't necessarily mean that glass has broken, as I mentioned above -- those can be triggered by many loud noises.

I am guessing security system wasn't "armed" so whatever alert was issued didn't trigger an alarm or security company calling asking if everything was fine.

I highly doubt that the home hadn't already been invaded by the time AS called SS at 5:30 asking SS to come home while he was in the final throes of trying to get his studio prepared for its opening, something Amy knew was important to him and was trying to help him complete in time (as evidenced by AS' VM to her housekeeper). Maybe something the was broken at around 6:00, but if LE still believes that the crime didn't start before that, I have to respectfully disagree.

I am guessing security system wasn't "armed" so whatever alert was issued didn't trigger an alarm or security company calling asking if everything was fine.

That was my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member