DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. But home buyers in that area would not agree. Because that peice of land is prime location for a house

But I'm sure the remaining daughters would have loved to turn it into a park if they didn't need the sale money.

So I agree
Zen

I guess it all depends on one's definition of "need" but I don't think they "needed" the money. I would imagine that they don't want to think about the house or the lot at all -- park, original structure, or new structure. Why not leave it to the new owner to decide once they've let go?

I keep returning to check on this case; it haunts me. I wish the trial could be moved up and the daughters/family could have justice ASAP.

I've been trying to follow this case but where can we see trial outcome?

Here's an update on the case. There's been a fresh court filing about evidence:
http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/257262434-story

From link

" In the new report, prosecutors list 14 itemsin which Wint was a "possible contributor" including a knife from basement of theSavopoulos’ home. The report also saysWint'sDNA cannotbe excluded from hairs found on a pieceof bedding and a hardhat."

Possible contributor due to degradation from the fire? ... And possibly his DNA cannot be excluded from hair because they did not have roots?

Checking back in -- still thinking of their families. I hate this wait for justice for them.

Takes so long to go to trial. Ironic isn't it that the Accused has SO many more rights than the Victims.

Takes so long to go to trial. Ironic isn't it that the Accused has SO many more rights than the Victims.

It may seem like that but the length of waiting time for a trial has to do more with the type of evidence involved, the new science involved with that evidence, the lack of resources to handle that evidence in a more timely manner and the busy schedule of courts and the parties involved in preparing for it. Just remember the defendant is sitting in a jail while he waits.

Actually, I think the length of the wait indicates the opposite. If you presume the accused is innocent until being proved guilty, a couple years is a long time to sit in jail and wait for a trial. Can you imagine if you were accused and even if found innocent at the end of the day, spent years in jail awaiting trial, while your career and finances and relationships went down the tubes? I don't think this guy is innocent, and I'm not losing any sleep over his incarceration, but I don't think the system is giving him more rights in this situation.

It may seem like that but the length of waiting time for a trial has to do more with the type of evidence involved, the new science involved with that evidence, the lack of resources to handle that evidence in a more timely manner and the busy schedule of courts and the parties involved in preparing for it. Just remember the defendant is sitting in a jail while he waits.

A man was just awarded $11M in MO for wrongful conviction and a coerced confession from his co-defendant witness testimony. It does happen.

Also the Holly Bobo trial finally starts tomorrow. She was raped and murdered in 2011 and suspects (3) arrested in 2014. Three and a half years of delays and continuances. That poor family.

JMO

"Prosecutors had prepared an overview of the forensic evidence, though. It states there is a possible DNA link between Wint and a knife found in the basement of the burned home.

The summary of the evidence collected and analyzed by D.C. police, FBI, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and other agencies also mentions a piece of duct tape recovered from the driveway, pieces of pizza crust and a hair sample found in a piece of bedding. It also states the evidence includes thousands of photographs."

I hope all of that DNA testing is solid. I don't think this guy should walk free ever again. :jail:

I just saw a preview of The Mansion Murders on Fox 5 with 2 of the most offensive women acting gleeful and giddy as if they were reporting the Oscars or a new scary Halloween movie. One of those women was Sarah Fraser who is the reporter on the series, the other woman was the host of the Fox 5 show.

I could see if they were acting this way about Jimmy Hoffa but, come on, this is recent and tragic and deserves a more mature and respectful approach than they gave it. Not the tacky sensational approach they had on offer. They were also bragging about how great they were as reporters in covering this story. Thoroughly disgusting.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

I just saw a preview of The Mansion Murders on Fox 5 with 2 of the most offensive women acting gleeful and giddy as if they were reporting the Oscars or a new scary Halloween movie. One of those women was Sarah Fraser who is the reporter on the series, the other woman was the host of the Fox 5 show.

I could see if they were acting this way about Jimmy Hoffa but, come on, this is recent and tragic and deserves a more mature and respectful approach than they gave it. Not the tacky sensational approach they had on offer. They were also bragging about how great they were as reporters in covering this story. Thoroughly disgusting.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

Ugh. Even calling it the 'mansion murders' is disgusting.

Ugh. Even calling it the 'mansion murders' is disgusting.

I agree, but the podcast is fascinating and brings up some issues I've wondered about all along...

I agree, but the podcast is fascinating and brings up some issues I've wondered about all along...
Agreed. It's not the greatest podcast ever, but I am really impressed by the innovation that Fox 5 DC is demonstrating simply by producing a podcast series about a local news story.

Today's media landscape is all about finding new ways to attain an audience; for a television newsroom to dedicate the resources to a project like this is awesome! I hope this podcast is very successful so other television newsrooms will follow this model as an effective way of doing long form journalism.

Checking back in hoping for some sort of update. For some reason, I had mid-October in my head for a court date. I need to go back and freshen up. I hope the daughters are doing well; the upcoming holiday season can be so hard with grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1