DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the person running from the torched porsche was one of the Wint brothers, perhaps he had petrol in the bucket, and was actually running to torch the blue van next. Weren't they each located nearby?

I’m thinking the gas might dissolve a plastic bucket not made to hold gasoline.
I saw someone pour gas into a plastic container and it dissolved the bottom of the container and set a rug on fire in front of a fireplace that was in use. Oops. Was not me.

Maybe $$ and the hard drives, smashed up computer...

JMO

Was the box truck in the DW caravan a Budget rental?
TIA

I don't see any info about the box truck's origin, or if it was stolen:

"...Wint was a passenger [along with 3 women] in a white Chevy Cruze vehicle that left the hotel parking lot following a box truck. Authorities tailed the vehicles to Rhode Island Avenue in Northeast D.C. where they were able to block in the vehicles. Multiple people were taken into custody along with Wint.

A federal source tells FOX 5's Paul Wagner that Wint's brother was part of the group that was apprehended and he was in the box truck [with another male] where a large amount of cash was found. ..."
CAPTURED: Quadruple murder suspect Daron Wint arrested in Northeast DC

Since SS had multiple businesses at the Chantilly Road address where AIW is located, I assume SS had Security Company notify AIW HQ if fire or other problem at the house. Standard procedure for business people who travel frequently.
I assume whoever at AIW received the alarm called SS, JW and down the line.

JMO.
That makes sense. Good thinking. Thanks.

From earlier arrest news:

The ex-con who allegedly slaughtered a wealthy Washington family and their housekeeper fled to Brooklyn after the grisly murders — then took a costly ride back to the capital in a livery cab when he realized he’d become a wanted man.

Daron Dylon Wint, 34, was arrested Thursday night — eight days after he allegedly tortured and killed American Iron Works CEO Savvas Savopoulos, 46, his 47-year-old wife, Amy, their 10-year-old son, Philip, and their housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa, 57, on May 13, police said.

He’d been staying in his gal pal’s Canarsie apartment since Sunday — but wasn’t concerned about getting caught until he was named as a suspect Wednesday night, a law enforcement source said.

Wint was “shocked” by the warrant for his arrest, the source added. He called his parents in Maryland, then hopped in a livery cab, forking over hundreds of dollars to get back to DC, the source said.

His parents got in touch with authorities, telling them he’d been staying with the paramour in Brooklyn. Marshals in New York City went to his girlfriend’s Canarsie pad, but missed him by a few hours, the source said.

“We tracked him up to New York City and barely missed him [Wednesday] night,” Robert Fernandez, commander of the US Marshals Services’ Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force, said Friday morning, CNN reported.
https://nypost.com/2015/05/22/feds-barely-missed-dc-family-slaughter-suspect-in-brooklyn/

I’m thinking the gas might dissolve a plastic bucket not made to hold gasoline.
I saw someone pour gas into a plastic container and it dissolved the bottom of the container and set a rug on fire in front of a fireplace that was in use. Oops. Was not me.

Maybe $$ and the hard drives, smashed up computer...

JMO
Oh no!! Actually, I was thinking the bucket carried in video looked more like the one of those high density poly containers that could have handled gasoline transfer but not suitable for long term storage.

Oh no!! Actually, I was thinking the bucket carried in video looked more like the one of those high density poly containers that could have handled gasoline transfer but not suitable for long term storage.

Was it like an orange HD bucket? I can’t remember.

Maybe DW thought there was a big safe with big money in the house. No need for a driver.
But when there was no cash in the house, SS probably said he could get money delivered- you can call a courier service.
DW probably didn’t have a bank account. If he did, he could have deposited the $$, under 10k at a time, and wired $$ to the GF in NY. Coulda saved the cab ride money.

What was the box truck for???? Who caravans with a box truck? That is puzzling to me.

JMO
I had to go back to 2015 news reports and it seems that the box truck was used by DW brother and another male, but it also was used to carry most of the cash. DW was apprehended in a different vehicle that carried himself and 3 other women.

I had to go back to 2015 news reports and it seems that the box truck was used by DW brother and another male, but it also was used to carry most of the cash. DW was apprehended in a different vehicle that carried himself and 3 other women.

Yes, I remember now.
Amerit Truck Services- thanks for posting that @IDK .
It is really a mobile garage for fleet services.
Wonder what the GF in NY thought about 3 women in the Cruze with DW?
Were these women ever named?

JMO and thoughts.

If it was gasoline in the bucket... why not toss it in the burning car? If it was computer/security hard drive/s in the bucket... why not toss them into the burning car? And, if it was $$... why carry it in a bucket? No pockets on hoodie or in pants?? But, maybe he planned to "hide it" in a shrub or behind a dumpster in case caught?? That doesn't seem likely to me but... I dunno?

If it was gasoline in the bucket... why not toss it in the burning car? If it was computer/security hard drive/s in the bucket... why not toss them into the burning car? And, if it was $$... why carry it in a bucket? No pockets on hoodie or in pants?? But, maybe he planned to "hide it" in a shrub or behind a dumpster in case caught?? That doesn't seem likely to me but... I dunno?

I was going by JWs testimony about 40k not fitting in bank envelope...and if in hoodie pocket $$ could fall out if he had to really run...
Or maybe the bucket was part of his “costume” to look like a construction worker...White tshirt, dark jeans...

DW sure didn’t know how to set a fire. Thank goodness he was not a Boy Scout.
I know those ATF folks can find evidence in bad fires and explosions.

And that wallpaper guy deserves a medal. He went the extra mile.

JMO

From earlier arrest news:

The ex-con who allegedly slaughtered a wealthy Washington family and their housekeeper fled to Brooklyn after the grisly murders — then took a costly ride back to the capital in a livery cab when he realized he’d become a wanted man.

Daron Dylon Wint, 34, was arrested Thursday night — eight days after he allegedly tortured and killed American Iron Works CEO Savvas Savopoulos, 46, his 47-year-old wife, Amy, their 10-year-old son, Philip, and their housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa, 57, on May 13, police said.

He’d been staying in his gal pal’s Canarsie apartment since Sunday — but wasn’t concerned about getting caught until he was named as a suspect Wednesday night, a law enforcement source said.

Wint was “shocked” by the warrant for his arrest, the source added. He called his parents in Maryland, then hopped in a livery cab, forking over hundreds of dollars to get back to DC, the source said.

His parents got in touch with authorities, telling them he’d been staying with the paramour in Brooklyn. Marshals in New York City went to his girlfriend’s Canarsie pad, but missed him by a few hours, the source said.

“We tracked him up to New York City and barely missed him [Wednesday] night,” Robert Fernandez, commander of the US Marshals Services’ Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force, said Friday morning, CNN reported.
https://nypost.com/2015/05/22/feds-barely-missed-dc-family-slaughter-suspect-in-brooklyn/

This is one of the news articles that can't "source" the information about the taxi driver.

I'm still trying to verify the information about this taxi ride in the other news articles I posted earlier asking about this. There has been no verified source in any of these articles.

This may all come out in court. Perhaps if/when D.W.'s girlfriend testifies?

If she doesn't tell who drove D.W. back, then I doubt the person will come forward! I don't think a taxi was involved. I think that was a rumor.

Last edited:
2015 NBCNew York News video showing the police arriving at the home of D.W.'s girlfriend in Brooklyn to search the home and question the girlfriend.

The article mentions law enforcement sources.

"Law enforcement sources told NBC 4 New York Wint paid someone -- likely with some of the money he allegedly stole from the family he killed -- to drive him in a car back to Washington, D.C."

Video Shows Feds, NYPD Raid Home of Mansion Murder Suspect's Girlfriend

I was going by JWs testimony about 40k not fitting in bank envelope...and if in hoodie pocket $$ could fall out if he had to really run...
Or maybe the bucket was part of his “costume” to look like a construction worker...White tshirt, dark jeans...

DW sure didn’t know how to set a fire. Thank goodness he was not a Boy Scout.
I know those ATF folks can find evidence in bad fires and explosions.

And that wallpaper guy deserves a medal. He went the extra mile.

JMO

I agree! He knocked on the door to tell them about the smoke coming out and then called 911 immediately.

The carbon dioxide alarms would be going off as well as their smoke detectors. Whether there was a system hooked up to these alerts to notify outside people, I have no idea.

This too, may come out in the trial.

2015 NBCNew York News video showing the police arriving at the home of D.W.'s girlfriend in Brooklyn to search the home and question the girlfriend.

The article mentions law enforcement sources.

"Law enforcement sources told NBC 4 New York Wint paid someone -- likely with some of the money he allegedly stole from the family he killed -- to drive him in a car back to Washington, D.C."

Do we know how he got to NY? I don’t remember.
And why he leave his phone with her? Did he trade phones or get a new burner?

JMO

Do we know how he got to NY? I don’t remember.
And why he leave his phone with her? Did he trade phones or get a new burner?

JMO

"Wint took a bus to New York, possibly to Penn Station, though the girlfriend did not have information on his mode of transportation, law enforcement sources said. The sources said the girlfriend cooperated with investigators -- not fully, but "close enough."

Last edited:
I thought the reports said the white Chevrolet was a car with Maryland plates? In this article it shows Connecticut plates. I'm very confused.

https://www.washingtonian.com/wp-co...e-island-avenue-daron-wint-arrest-994x491.jpg

savopoulos-murders-rhode-island-avenue-daron-wint-arrest-994x491.jpg

It's quite uncommon for rental cars in Connecticut to bear Connecticut plates. Most of the big chain car rental companies usually have New Jersey plates.

Reactions: IDK
It's quite uncommon for rental cars in Connecticut to bear Connecticut plates. Most of the big chain car rental companies usually have New Jersey plates.

Maybe it was a one way rental.

A couple of times I left rentals with Georgia plates at Virginia airport and flew home. And I rented a car in Pittsburgh with a Texas plate.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member