DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This WTOP article provides JW's timeline:
Assistant who dropped off $40K in cash testifies in trial of man charged with killing DC family | WTOP
September 17, 2018 7:22 pm
[...]
Wallace provided a timeline of events between May 13 and May 14 -
[...]
Wallace said he was working alongside Savvas Savopoulos at the businessman’s soon-to-open karate studio in Chantilly, Virginia, on May 13 and left for the day about 5 p.m. He was supposed to report the next day at the karate studio to get it ready for the grand opening a few days later.

At some point on the evening of May 13, however, Wallace said he got a voicemail from his boss, telling him there had been a change of plans and that he needed him to report to the American Iron Works office in Hyattsville, Maryland, the next morning to pick up a package.

In the voicemail, which was played in court, Savopoulos sounded friendly and upbeat and even seemed to make a joke about Wallace’s outdated voicemail greeting. Despite the friendly tone, prosecutors say the call was placed during the time when the family had been taken hostage by Wint.
[...]
Wallace said he then got a call from Savvas Savopoulos about 7 a.m. the following morning about delivering the package.

Wallace said he left that morning with American Iron Works’ chief financial officer, Ted Chase, to head to the bank. At the bank, Chase handed him the bundles of cash — $40,000 in all — and told him, “Guard this with your life,” Wallace said.

[...]
At 10:15 a.m. on May 14, Wallace received a text from Savopoulos telling him to put the package of money in the driver’s seat of a sports car that was parked in the family’s garage. He had told Wallace not to knock because he was on an important conference call.

Wallace put the cash in the car then sent a text to Savopoulos at 10:26 a.m., saying “pkg delivered,” he said.

I don't recall any previous mention about JW "running an ebay account" for SS.
Perhaps there was a nefarious contact regarding an ebay transaction. Not at all insinuating that JW did anything wrong; just that an unknown person could have been disgruntled about an ebay purchase. Speculation only.

Assistant who dropped off $40K in cash testifies in trial of man charged with killing DC family | WTOP
Wallace was hired by Savvas Savopoulos in March 2015 to run errands, drive members of the family to appointments and carry out other odd jobs, such as running an eBay account.
The ebay account is news to me! I wonder what the merchandise was/is.

This stuck out to me (from the link): 'Wallace said he was working alongside Savvas Savopoulos at the businessman’s soon-to-open karate studio in Chantilly, Virginia, on May 13 and left for the day about 5 p.m.'

Much was made about JW leaving the studio between 3-3:30 - which is time frame when the abductions started at the house. But he didn't leave during that time frame, according to his testimony. Instead he left at the end of the work day. Nothing about the 5pm departure time seems off to me at all. Reporting error? Rumors grew legs?

I am curious about who at American Iron Works knew about the fire so quickly. Anyone have info (or a memory) about that? How did the company know so fast?

jmo

It's been 3 years since this was discussed, but I recall that the sister worked for AIW as Controller. So that would make sense that SS phoned his sister about a cash withdrawal. It was also a way for SS to get more people involved to recognize a Red Flag.
This link is the best I could find currently with indication of SS's sister listed as Controller:
American Iron Works Incorporated

questionmark_mini.png
Who are the executives or contact person of American Iron Works Incorporated?
D[redacted] M[redacted] is the Controller of American Iron Works Incorporated.

Quoting my own post from last week.
Below is from a recent WTOP blog referencing "Savvas Savopoulos' sister -- who worked as the controller of American Iron Works"

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Ted Chase, the chief financial officer of American Iron Works, said he talked to both Savvas and Savvas' sister (who worked as the company's controller) about withdrawing $40,000 in cash and delivering it to his house.

What does the "auction" reference mean? Earlier on Monday, Savvas Savopoulos' sister -- who worked as the controller of American Iron Works -- testified she got a call from Savvas on May 13 about withdrawing anywhere from $35,000 to $50,000 from his account. She told jurors her brother frequently attended construction auctions and the amount of cash he was requesting was not all that unusual. It was unusual, however, that he requested it all in cash, Debra Ann Masser told jurors.

Quoting my own post from last week.
Below is from a recent WTOP blog referencing "Savvas Savopoulos' sister -- who worked as the controller of American Iron Works"

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Ted Chase, the chief financial officer of American Iron Works, said he talked to both Savvas and Savvas' sister (who worked as the company's controller) about withdrawing $40,000 in cash and delivering it to his house.

What does the "auction" reference mean? Earlier on Monday, Savvas Savopoulos' sister -- who worked as the controller of American Iron Works -- testified she got a call from Savvas on May 13 about withdrawing anywhere from $35,000 to $50,000 from his account. She told jurors her brother frequently attended construction auctions and the amount of cash he was requesting was not all that unusual. It was unusual, however, that he requested it all in cash, Debra Ann Masser told jurors.

Were those auctions done over ebay? I guess they could be. Maybe the ebay account JW helped with had to do with purchasing items for the business rather than selling items (as I first assumed).

jmo

This WTOP article provides JW's timeline:
[...]
Wallace provided a timeline of events between May 13 and May 14 -
[...]
Wallace said he was working alongside Savvas Savopoulos at the businessman’s soon-to-open karate studio in Chantilly, Virginia, on May 13 and left for the day about 5 p.m. He was supposed to report the next day at the karate studio to get it ready for the grand opening a few days later.

At some point on the evening of May 13, however, Wallace said he got a voicemail from his boss, telling him there had been a change of plans and that he needed him to report to the American Iron Works office in Hyattsville, Maryland, the next morning to pick up a package.

In the voicemail, which was played in court, Savopoulos sounded friendly and upbeat and even seemed to make a joke about Wallace’s outdated voicemail greeting. Despite the friendly tone, prosecutors say the call was placed during the time when the family had been taken hostage by Wint.
[...]
Wallace said he then got a call from Savvas Savopoulos about 7 a.m. the following morning about delivering the package.

Wallace said he left that morning with American Iron Works’ chief financial officer, Ted Chase, to head to the bank. At the bank, Chase handed him the bundles of cash — $40,000 in all — and told him, “Guard this with your life,” Wallace said.

[...]
At 10:15 a.m. on May 14, Wallace received a text from Savopoulos telling him to put the package of money in the driver’s seat of a sports car that was parked in the family’s garage. He had told Wallace not to knock because he was on an important conference call.

Wallace put the cash in the car then sent a text to Savopoulos at 10:26 a.m., saying “pkg delivered,” he said.

Thank you for the timeline.

It's nice to get the facts from trial testimony.

Reading how calm Savvas was throughout shows he wanted to believe if he remained calm they had a better chance of them all coming out alive. His courage and strength through the darkest time for all of them shows his true character. He really felt if he stayed calm when getting the demand money he would be able to reason the DW into letting them go.

Sadly..it didn't end like they all wanted. Imo the moment Wint invaded their home he knew then..no matter what they did trying to satisfy him..none of them would be coming out alive.

He really thought by setting the home afire there wouldn't be any evidence showing he was ever there. Thank goodness the arson plan wasnt as successful as he had planned.

I feel what he did to Philip had to be so heinous and brutal that he wanted to make sure to destroy his little body more than anything else to conceal what he had done to a terrified innocent defenseless 10 year old child.

He wanted those dark evil acts hidden more than anything else.

Imo

Sadly..it didn't end like they all wanted. Imo the moment Wint invaded their home he knew then..no matter what they did trying to satisfy him..none of them would be coming out alive.

Snipped by me.

I'm not sure. I think the violence might have happened at the end because the ransom money wasn't as much as Wint wanted. There is a delay between the time the money was dropped off in the morning and the time of the fire in the afternoon - and I wonder if there were some more demands for money that couldn't be met? I hesitate with that because I don't think we have evidence that SS was making more arrangements after the money drop....but why wait around in the house until the afternoon like Wint did? You'd think he'd get outta there asap once he had the cash.

I think MAYBE if Wint got what he wanted, he would have let them go. But I do concede that might be wishful thinking on my part.

jmo

Has anyone discovered verified information about a "taxi driver who "drove D.W. "back to D.C. from Brooklyn?

If there was a taxi driver, whether or not he was paid $1,000 in cash by Wint (also unverified), he would have been interviewed. His testimony as to Wint's demeanor in taxi and his conversation would be very important. If any of this is true.

News article listing the New York Daily News as their source:
Mansion murders suspect used cash for cab, says report
WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- The man accused of killing a D.C. family and taking $40,000 may have used some of that money to take a taxi cab from New York back to D.C., according to the New York Daily News.

D.C. mansion murder suspect Daron Wint hires cab from N.Y. to D.C. after visiting girlfriend
"WASHINGTON (WJLA) - Law enforcement officials told ABC7 news on Monday that D.C. mansion murder suspect Daron Wint hired a taxi to drive him back to D.C. from Brooklyn, N.Y. where he was said to be visiting a girlfriend."

The mention of "auctions" makes me wonder.

As far as I know, individuals use Paypal account or something similar if it's a transaction over the internet (Ebay or otherwise).

I just can't see the need for actual cash.

As far as an auction that S.S. would actually attend, I still don't see cash. Usually cheques are accepted and credit cards.

Some smaller auctions might state they only accept cash.

But why would S.S. want to attend an auction when he was in the midst of working hard to get the dojo prepared for the following day?

Was this another subtle hint? Sadly, we will never know.

Last edited:
The mention of "auctions" makes me wonder.

As far as I know, individuals use Paypal account or something similar if it's a transaction over the internet (Ebay or otherwise).

I just can't see the need for actual cash.

As far as an auction that S.S. would actually attend, I still don't see cash. Usually cheques are accepted and credit cards.

Some smaller auctions might state they only accept cash.

But why would S.S. want to attend an auction when he was in the midst of working hard to get the dojo prepared for the following day?

Was this another subtle hint? Sadly, we will never know.
I can see how JW wouldn't ask questions of his boss and perhaps even the CFO wouldn't want to ask his boss about the cash request. It was a large amount, but not such a huge amount that it would indicate irregular practices that a CFO needed to be concerned for business (like hundreds of thousands, for example, might be questioned). I think the sister did say the cash was for "for machinery" and perhaps she didn't question that because it wasn't her area of the business...leave machinery details to her brother.

Perhaps that is what SS even told Wint - perhaps he said, "I can't get more than this at one time or regulations will be triggered and people will be alerted to stop the withdrawal."

Maybe he should've asked for $400,000 and alarms would have gone off with the people SS contacted. If he asked for that amount in a steady and jovial voice, THAT might have been a less subtle clue. ?

I'm making the guess that Wint wasn't knowledgeable about business and banking practices and perhaps thought rich people have cash laying around at their easy disposal.

jmo

Last edited:
Meagan Fitzgerald @MeganNBCDC:

2 employees of Australian Ambassador, who lives across from the Savopoulos house, testified that they saw a man fitting Daron Wint’s description, walking into garage of home just before fire.

Keith L. Alexander on Twitter
Crime/courts reporter for The Washington Post

Keith L. Alexander‏Verified account @keithlalexander
Jordan Wallace finished up his testimony in trial of man charged in quadruple slayings. “I have nothing to hide,” Wallace said as to why he cooperated with detectives. Daron Wint, the only man charged in the murders, says Wallace was part of plan in killing. Wallace denied such.
8:09 AM - 18 Sep 2018

Snipped by me.

I'm not sure. I think the violence might have happened at the end because the ransom money wasn't as much as Wint wanted. There is a delay between the time the money was dropped off in the morning and the time of the fire in the afternoon - and I wonder if there were some more demands for money that couldn't be met? I hesitate with that because I don't think we have evidence that SS was making more arrangements after the money drop....but why wait around in the house until the afternoon like Wint did? You'd think he'd get outta there asap once he had the cash.

I think MAYBE if Wint got what he wanted, he would have let them go. But I do concede that might be wishful thinking on my part.

jmo

I understand that thinking. One would think he would leave but that's thinking logically. There is nothing logical or normal about Wint.

I know I may have a different opinion about Wint than most. I firmly believe he is a stone cold sociopath. Many of them are known to hold grudges even decades long toting rage and hatred around thinking constantly about getting even.

Imo he targeted this family when he decided he was going to do a home invasion. This was the owner of the place he had been fired. Sociopaths places blame on others even though they are fully to blame themselves.

What better revenge than to make Savvas jump through hoops to get him thousands of dollars trying their best to appease the monster before them?

Imo he gloated over the power and control he now had over them all. He literally held their lives in his hands. Why leave when he could continue to torment them all? He would leave on his own time. Imo he relished terrorizing these victims and took his time ending it..

I do think through it all he tortured Philip. Even in another room they would know the child they loved with all of their hearts was going through hell. He used torturing Philip as a tool to make sure none of them dared have one thought about going up against him.

He was as cold and calculating as Chase Merritt when he brutally murdered the entire Mcstay..family. They are cut from the same cloth.

It takes a special kind of monster to do what he did to Philip. Imo I still firmly believe he relished every sadistic act he did against little Philip. It gave him great satisfaction to know this powerful and successful wealthy businessman and doting father was totally helpless to stop him. He probably ridiculed Savvas saying to him 'you're not such a big shot now are you?' Or something similarly degradimg.

Imo..Wint did all of this because he wanted to and he knew they were all unable to stop him. Typical behavior of sociopaths who murder innocent victims. They show no mercy because they possess none...Imo.

He knew he was going to murder them all. He certainly wasn't going to leave live witnesses to tell who he was and what all he had put them through.

Jmo

If DW is a sociopath, then I don't think he'd care about torturing young Philip and wanting "those dark evil acts hidden more than anything else". Why would DW care about any evil acts being hidden?
snip>
I feel what he did to Philip had to be so heinous and brutal that he wanted to make sure to destroy his little body more than anything else to conceal what he had done to a terrified innocent defenseless 10 year old child.
He wanted those dark evil acts hidden more than anything else.
Imo

snip>
It takes a special kind of monster to do what he did to Philip. Imo I still firmly believe he relished every sadistic act he did against little Philip.
[...]
Imo..Wint did all of this because he wanted to and he knew they were all unable to stop him. Typical behavior of sociopaths who murder innocent victims. They show no mercy because they possess none...Imo.

If DW is a sociopath, then I don't think he'd care about torturing young Philip and wanting "those dark evil acts hidden more than anything else". Why would DW care about any evil acts being hidden?

Most likely because he knew they would find his own DNA on or around the victim's body. They don't want to be caught.

Were those auctions done over ebay? I guess they could be. Maybe the ebay account JW helped with had to do with purchasing items for the business rather than selling items (as I first assumed).

jmo

It says SS attended construction equipment auctions- he could buy used scaffolding or welding equipment for AIW. You can do that in person or sometimes have rep bid for you if you are on the phone and not near the physical auction. Cash is accepted at the ones I have attended.

I ran my own ebay online store several years ago. All payments went thru ebay - cash payments were allowed thru the buyer’s PayPal account- as did any complaints/ disputes. There is a process for disputes.

SS could have sold car parts, martial arts equipment, almost anything. There is a list you items you cannot sell.

SS could have had JW sell PS old toys. Who knows?

JMO- MOO

It says SS attended construction equipment auctions- he could buy used scaffolding or welding equipment for AIW. You can do that in person or sometimes have rep bid for you if you are on the phone and not near the physical auction. Cash is accepted at the ones I have attended.

I ran my own ebay online store several years ago. All payments went thru ebay - cash payments were allowed thru the buyer’s PayPal account- as did any complaints/ disputes. There is a process for disputes.

SS could have sold car parts, martial arts equipment, almost anything. There is a list you items you cannot sell.

SS could have had JW sell PS old toys. Who knows?

JMO- MOO
You don't think the ebay account was simply for bidding and purchasing? Handling the ebay account was something JW was assigned to do.

I don't think the ebay account had anything to do with the cash request.

jmo

You don't think the ebay account was simply for bidding and purchasing? Handling the ebay account was something JW was assigned to do.

I don't think the ebay account had anything to do with the cash request.

jmo

From what I have read SS phoned and told his sister DM- AIW controller- he needed 35-50k for construction equipment auction. Call would have been Wed. night.
I think the ebay auction is unrelated; the ebay account was included in JW scope of work/responsibilities. JMO

I do not believe JW is involved with DW. SS was the golden goose who had given him a great golden opportunity.

Do you think DW demanded say 1M or 500k and SS told DW that would be impossible to get in cash on short notice due to today’s banking regulations?
Maybe DW thought SS had a safe with 2M in cash in the house?

If SS told DW that...hard to get large amounts of “cash money” in 30 minutes from a bank, telling DW the truth about banking and cash...he may have sealed the S family fate.
Did DW even have a bank account?

JMO-MOO

Melanie Alnwick‏Verified account @fox5melanie
Jordan Wallace back on stand today in #MansionMurders trial. Prosecution working to clarify his testimony from yesterday. Asked direct question if conspired with Wints or if he had anything to do with murder of his boss’ family. Answered “No.” @fox5dc

DnYqcQ7W4AA7c_3.jpg

DnYqcQ6XoAAR8e3.jpg

8:05 AM - 18 Sep 2018

Melanie Alnwick‏Verified account @fox5melanie
Jordan Wallace testified he deleted text of $40k cash to his girlfriend bc he didn’t want Savvas to find out & fire him. Said he went back & clarified misstatements to detectives before the 4 hour interview was over. Said he was “scared & confused, it was a lot” @fox5dc

8:08 AM - 18 Sep 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member