DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, LMAO...
Ok, I used to work with one of the businesses that was located and which is still currently at that same address. Let me tell you, it was a warehouse...a huge one and the original business either started renting out the and divided the huge warehouse into several spaces.
This is yet another out of the way and kind of rundown area. Can't even imagine a high end exclusive membership studio martial arts studio in that location...no less an international hedge fund. It puzzles me the places this man would drive these ridiculously expensive cars.

That is very curious.

BBM

Well, truth be told, they DID catch him. He was driving down the road with an entourage and cash money. I don't think he was heading for the police station. If he sincerely wanted to turn himself in, I am sure that Howard Johnson's had a phone available.

Also, I heard LE saying since they FIRST interviewed the girlfriend, that he said he was turning himself in. So they were not sitting on that explanation. Can you blame them for being proactive and pinging the killer's phones?

They do deserve to bask in some glory. Every single one of those officers was on total overtime---all onboard---until they caught this freak. And he is a psychopath, with nothing to lose, and a bag full of cash. They DESERVE any and all kudos for bringing him in safely. :cop:

Yes, I agree with the great praise for the police and the task force. I don't remember a major crime so well investigated, so quickly, with such outstanding results in identifying and then apprehending the killer.

All the same, if it turns out that Wint and his entourage claimed to be en route to turning him in, I think it's worth mentioning that when speaking to the press afterward. Because, otherwise, those other four adults should be in jail right now, IMO. So, which is it?

Interesting...
This is from his bio:
"As a teenager, he competed at the highest levels of athletics, which led him to playing Lacrosse at the University of Massachusetts."

Maybe he played club Lacrosse. He would not show on the school roster.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense! Then it is quite possible that DW entered the home before 3pm, when Vera was to leave. AS may have made her plans known to SS earlier in the day but DW may have had her call SS to get him home sooner.

Also, remember most of our information about who was supposed to do what when came from a source who has proven herself to be unreliable: NG.

Wanted to do a shout out :tyou: to a fellow poster... can't recall right now who that poster was :blush: ... but local WS'er who mentioned that the police report did not mention a WEDNESDAY siting of the Porsche. I finally found what you were referring to! :tyou: Please take a bow :goldcrown:

This is why so many minds are good at catching stuff as I had not recalled such!

Porsche was seen day before - reporting in MSM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html
The police documents also show what appears to be an unusual amount of activity last week around the victims’ Woodland Drive NW home. Neighbors reported seeing a man banging on the door of one home, an aggressive vacuum cleaner salesman at another house, reports of a prowler, and what a witness said could have been the Savopouloses’ blue Porsche speeding down the street the day before the deaths were discovered. ---------------

Police documents show there were reports of unusual activity in the neighborhood. Neighbors reported seeing a man banging on the door of one home. There was an aggressive vacuum cleaner salesman at another house and reports of a prowler.-----------------
A witness also reported seeing what could have been Savopoulos' blue Porsche speeding down the street the day before the deaths were discovered.-----------------

Also, remember most of our information about who was supposed to do what when came from a source who has proven herself to be unreliable: NG.

And a lot of it comes from W-1, who LE says lied to them.

Why was DW charged with SS murder specifically? If LE suspects he had help. how/why did they single out SS?

Also, it is beyond my comprehension how poorly this entire scenario was carried out. A measly $40,000 to take 4 lives and guarantee himself the rest of his life in prison. Talk about being the laughing stock in prison, DW will surely win that title!

My opinions only.

Maybe he played club Lacrosse. He would not show on the school roster.

If he went to UMass and played club lacrosse, why wouldn't he list UMass under education on his LinkedIn account? He only lists Anne Arundel Community College 2007-2010. I think another poster probably hit the nail on the head when she said he attended a summer camp there. He is being deliberately mis-leading on his bio. If I walked onto the field at Georgetown University and threw a baseball, I guess I could say I played baseball at GU...

Yes, certainly. And also in Maryland. However, his girlfriend in Brooklyn told investigators that he was going back to D.C. to turn himself in, and his actions since leaving her are consistent with that intent. He may have simply believed (or been told by his father) that he needed to turn himself into D.C. police, since D.C. police were in charge of investigating this crime in D.C.

I think the key to believing this story is that the girlfriend told investigators that his intention was to turn himself in, well before the cops finally caught up with him ... after he had already entered D.C. This was not a "cover story" concocted after the fact.

If this is in fact what happened, it's a shame that police have sat on this explanation since Thursday night, while basking in the glory of "catching" him.

The taxi could have taken him to any D.C. Police station. He would certainly not be in need of money orders, or an entourage, including a truck.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt, had he been at his Father's house, surrounded by the same friends.

But no, I don't believe a word of it.

If he went to UMass and played club lacrosse, why wouldn't he list UMass under education on his LinkedIn account? He only lists Anne Arundel Community College 2007-2010. I think another poster probably hit the nail on the head when she said he attended a summer camp there. He is being deliberately mis-leading on his bio. If I walked onto the field at Georgetown University and threw a baseball, I guess I could say I played baseball at GU...

Or maybe he transfered...

Yes, I agree with the great praise for the police and the task force. I don't remember a major crime so well investigated, so quickly, with such outstanding results in identifying and then apprehending the killer.

All the same, if it turns out that Wint and his entourage claimed to be en route to turning him in, I think it's worth mentioning that when speaking to the press afterward. Because, otherwise, those other four adults should be in jail right now, IMO. So, which is it?

There is a third possibility. They could have just 'said' they were turning him in, and planned to go party somewhere, and with no proof to the contrary, the others could not be arrested on the spot.

I hav a hard time believing he was seriously turning himself in. Why not call a lawyer and ask him to bring you in. Or just call the detectives and say where you are. They could have called 911 and said come to Howard Johnsons, room 334, I will be waiting, unarmed. OVER AND DONE.

Wanted to do a shout out :tyou: to a fellow poster... can't recall right now who that poster was :blush: ... but local WS'er who mentioned that the police report did not mention a WEDNESDAY siting of the Porsche. I finally found what you were referring to! :tyou: Please take a bow :goldcrown:

This is why so many minds are good at catching stuff as I had not recalled such!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

Man banging on the door must have been housekeeper's husband who came in looking for her.

Yes, certainly. And also in Maryland. However, his girlfriend in Brooklyn told investigators that he was going back to D.C. to turn himself in, and his actions since leaving her are consistent with that intent. He may have simply believed (or been told by his father) that he needed to turn himself into D.C. police, since D.C. police were in charge of investigating this crime in D.C.

I think the key to believing this story is that the girlfriend told investigators that his intention was to turn himself in, well before the cops finally caught up with him ... after he had already entered D.C. This was not a "cover story" concocted after the fact.

If this is in fact what happened, it's a shame that police have sat on this explanation since Thursday night, while basking in the glory of "catching" him.

If he was going to DC to turn himself in, why take a big truck with him?

Also, my son who is in LE , just explained to me why the Box Truck had to be stopped before it got anywhere near the police station. For all they know, there was a stash of Assault Rifles and bullet proof vests in the back. No way the station would want that truck to drive on up on them without being stopped first and everyone searched. That could have been really ugly if they had not checked first.

Daron had plenty of time to surrender.

There is a third possibility. They could have just 'said' they were turning him in, and planned to go party somewhere, and with no proof to the contrary, the others could not be arrested on the spot.

I hav a hard time believing he was seriously turning himself in. Why not call a lawyer and ask him to bring you in. Or just call the detectives and say where you are. They could have called 911 and said come to Howard Johnsons, room 334, I will be waiting, unarmed. OVER AND DONE.

Maybe he called the Spin Lawyer who said his life basically revolved around baking cookies for the Elderly and helping Nuns get across the street?

:thinking:

BBM. Why the truck? Why did he have his buddies buying money orders as stated in the charging documents? Why the $1,000 cab ride from NYC? Why not call the police and say, "I'd like to turn myself in, can you come get me?"

Is this when they saw a well groomed Black man driving it...on Wednesday? Was it before 6PM?

What is astounding to me in this case is how many calls Savvas made along with text...communicating with so many people yet not one picked up on the desperate signals and red flags he was waving that he was trying so hard to send.:( Imo, all of them were pleas for help he was trying to send the message of....please help........please realize that something very bad is happening to us but it fell on deft ears.:(

It wasn't until after they had been murdered that the parties admitted they felt something wasn't right. But in their defense I guess it is human nature to rationalize things away as being benign because no one really goes around thinking this could be happening to someone they know.

People need to rely on their gut instincts. That is why God gives us these instincts so that we can know when something is wrong.

IMO

Yes, this is so true.
If anyone wants to do a search of my posts, I posted about the Morse code SOS signal.

And you are right, trust your instincts.

I was gardening with my DH two days ago; all day long.
He stayed out to do the final cleanup and I went inside to the den to cool off and sit for a bit.
I heard his voice and got curious, wondering who he was speaking with.

Luckily, we live in a great neighborhood; and while outside we have people that stop by just to chit chat.
I got up and went to look out the window.
I presumed he was just having a friendly chat, but guess what?
He was talking with a complete stranger, someone I'd never seen.
We have been here for close to 20 years, I know "the usual's", so to speak.
He does not follow true crime and is naïve, I am a member here that makes me a lot more careful. One of the perks of this great board.
I watched out of the den window just long enough to get as detailed description as possible.
I considered calling out to DH, but I don't know if he would have heard me. The person left shortly after.

I called 911 and gave a decent description.
I kept telling dispatch that I felt kind of foolish.
Dispatch said no way, don't feel that way, we need more people to report. We want you to call.
LE came out and interviewed us and the neighbor to our left who has 2 small girls.
Our neighbor called as well. He reported that he saw this suspicious looking person in our neighborhood.

Turns out this person was asking my DH about our neighborhood, and kept most of the focus on how many small children were in our area.
He was driving an SUV with Nebraska plates.
We live in Upstate, NY.

We followed up with LE.
We were told that the situation was under investigation.
I did not press them any further. I did not want to interfere with an LE investigation.
They told us not to be surprised if we were questioned further.

I've taken up too much space already.
I've left out lots of details.

Not blaming the victims or anyone else, except for the criminals but, I wish that this family had some kind of safety signals.

The victims may not know it, but if one single life is saved; they did an immense service without even knowing so.

The taxi could have taken him to any D.C. Police station. He would certainly not be in need of money orders, or an entourage, including a truck.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt, had he been at his Father's house, surrounded by the same friends.

But no, I don't believe a word of it.

Here's another interesting detail: according to the "Supplement to the Arrest Warrant Affidavit," marshals found both "a large stack of what appeared to be $100 dollar bills" as well as money orders "in plain view" in the truck. Also apparently one of the women in the car claimed that one of the men in the truck had directed her "after the murders" to obtain money orders "to exceed $10,000" with some of the cash. The timeframe "after the murders" appears to suggest prior to that day (Thursday), and after the time of the murders (the prior Thursday).

I believe that the explanation is that Wint gave a large share of the money to one of the men in the truck, after the murders, and before heading to Brooklyn. This man and then the woman, at minimum, were then drawn into the crime as accessories after the fact (at minimum), even if they didn't know the origin of the cash. Therefore, the only way to "come clean" would be to round up everyone involved, along with the cash and the money orders, and deliver all these people and money to the police. Otherwise, these others might end up caught by police after Wint was apprehended and face their own separate charges.

This is, I believe, one reasonable explanation for the entourage and the money all being necessary (in their minds) to appear with Wint when he turned himself in. It's not the only explanation, but it fits the facts as we know them better than any other explanation I've read.

Charging document (p.14): http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/local/charging-papers-against-daron-wint/1558/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky