DE - Dominion Voting Systems vs. Fox News, $1.6B Defamation Trial for 2020 election lies, 17 Apr 2023 *Settled $787m* + add’l trials

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with this, is this a bench or jury trial? I presume it's going to be a bench one?

Edited to add: I really wish they'd bring back some form of the Fairness Doctrine. I know it's cable TV so I guess it wouldn't have affected them anyway. But if a channel claims to be offering news, they really should be held to a high standard with regard to accurate journalism. It feels like news journalism has given way to punditry, propaganda and spewing whatever will get them the most ratings. Money being chosen over truth. I know this is not unique to Fox News, but they certainly are the poster child for this kind of tabloid sensationalism that has NO BASIS in fact. They even claimed themselves in another court case they were an entertainment channel, not strictly news. Arghhh.

Last edited:
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with this, is this a bench or jury trial? I presume it's going to be a bench one?

Edited to add: I really wish they'd bring back some form of the Fairness Doctrine. I know it's cable TV so I guess it wouldn't have affected them anyway. But if a channel claims to be offering news, they really should be held to a high standard with regard to accurate journalism. It feels like news journalism has given way to punditry, propaganda and spewing whatever will get them the most ratings. Money being chosen over truth. I know this is not unique to Fox News, but they certainly are the poster child for this kind of tabloid sensationalism that has NO BASIS in fact. They even claimed themselves in another court case they were an entertainment channel, not strictly news. Arghhh.
I agree with all of your points. All major news media is biased in that they have an editorial stance that colors their view and reporting, but I don't think the other major news channels out-and-out lie like Fox "News" , errr Fox "entertainment" does. That's why they duck the "news" classification with the regulators.

Oh, it's a jury trial. Selection happened on Thursday/Friday. Trial expected to start on Monday.

While speaking on The Legal Breakdown podcast, Legal Analyst Glenn Kirschner was asked about the audio recording between the Fox News producer and the Trump campaign official. In the audio, the Trump campaign official said that the voting machines were looked at and there was no physical issue with them, according to the secretary of state's audit. It is unclear from the audio which secretary of state the campaign official is talking about.

Kirschner then responded, "For Fox, it's from bad to worse. It really does feel like with all of this evidence showing that Fox was not only reckless in its broadcasting, but it was just intentionally broadcasting false information. And there are any number of recorded conversations that support that conclusion."

Kirschner continued: "When you have Trump campaign officials admitting that they didn't have any evidence of fraud in the Georgia election as a result of the Dominion voting machines, we heard reporting that Jack Smith has expanded his probe into Donald Trump and Trump's criminal associates for the crime of wire fraud, and I think this recording plays into that."

While speaking on The Legal Breakdown podcast, Legal Analyst Glenn Kirschner was asked about the audio recording between the Fox News producer and the Trump campaign official. In the audio, the Trump campaign official said that the voting machines were looked at and there was no physical issue with them, according to the secretary of state's audit. It is unclear from the audio which secretary of state the campaign official is talking about.

Kirschner then responded, "For Fox, it's from bad to worse. It really does feel like with all of this evidence showing that Fox was not only reckless in its broadcasting, but it was just intentionally broadcasting false information. And there are any number of recorded conversations that support that conclusion."

Kirschner continued: "When you have Trump campaign officials admitting that they didn't have any evidence of fraud in the Georgia election as a result of the Dominion voting machines, we heard reporting that Jack Smith has expanded his probe into Donald Trump and Trump's criminal associates for the crime of wire fraud, and I think this recording plays into that."

BBM. I've been wondering the same thing. It will be interesting to find out just who Trump's "criminal associates" really are.

Maybe the trial has been pushed to Tuesday because something else is happening tomorrow?

This Fox blowhard said some nasty things earlier today about the Judge and promised more to come on his show later today but, oops!, no new show.

“I did all this research today for my Sunday show on Fox, so you’ll wanna see it,” he said. “Maybe I’m telling too much right now. Let’s wait, even though I know — I know the enemy media are hanging on my every syllable.”

However, on Fox News on Sunday there was no new episode of Life, Liberty & Levin, but instead the network re-aired a February episode featuring Victor Davis Hanson.

@brianstelter

Breaking via the @wsj: "Fox has made a late push to settle the dispute out of court, people familiar with the situation said Sunday

@eriqgardner

No Fox-Dominion settlement at this time, per source

I saw the BBC news this morning - saying the trial was pushed to Tuesday. Darn!!

And I noticed that the tweet says jury selection - I already have jury selection From 4/13/23 - and they have 12 jurors & 12 alternates in this case.

edited my post - my mistake - Final jury selection is supposed to start.... :)

Last edited:
BBM. I've been wondering the same thing. It will be interesting to find out just who Trump's "criminal associates" really are.

Maybe the trial has been pushed to Tuesday because something else is happening tomorrow?

This Fox blowhard said some nasty things earlier today about the Judge and promised more to come on his show later today but, oops!, no new show.

“I did all this research today for my Sunday show on Fox, so you’ll wanna see it,” he said. “Maybe I’m telling too much right now. Let’s wait, even though I know — I know the enemy media are hanging on my every syllable.”

However, on Fox News on Sunday there was no new episode of Life, Liberty & Levin, but instead the network re-aired a February episode featuring Victor Davis Hanson.

Could Fox be wanting to settle out of court by granting Dominion the full amount that they are asking? It would prevent exposure in a trial that they may lose, and prevent Fox shares from bleeding to death.

Such an offer would put the trial on ice for a moment, would it not? What if Dominion says no to such an offer? Would they then be considered to be acting in bad faith if they continue the trial?

I would not be pleased with such a solution. I feel that Fox's malicious media reporting needs to be exposed. moo

Here is an interesting tidbit about the Dominion Co. which might explain why T is so determined to shut down this method of receiving votes.

The company is named after Canada’s 1920 Dominion Elections Act, which removed barriers to voting that had excluded women and voters of certain racial, religious or economic groups. Mr. Poulos’s business idea was to help people with disabilities, such as paralysis or blindness, cast their ballots as independently as possible while still leaving an auditable paper trail. Dominion incorporated accessible technology like audio readouts and large screens into election machines.

Is Trump’s keyboard stuck on all caps again?

Trump posted at 2:39 AM on Truth Social:

“IF FOX WOULD FINALLY ADMIT THAT THERE WAS LARGE SCALE CHEATING & IRREGULARITIES IN THE 2020 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, WHICH WOULD BE A GOOD THING FOR THEM, & FOR AMERICA, THE CASE AGAINST THEM, WHICH SHOULD NOT HAVE EXISTED AT ALL, WOULD BE GREATLY WEAKENED. BACK UP THOSE PATRIOTS AT FOX INSTEAD OF THROWING THEM UNDER THE BUS – & THEY ARE RIGHT! THERE IS SOOO MUCH PROOF, LIKE MASS BALLOT STUFFING CAUGHT ON GOVERNMENT CAMERAS, FBI COLLUDING WITH TWITTER & FACEBOOK, STATE LEGISLATURES NOT USED, ETC.”

The chair of the conservative media empire, Rupert Murdoch said that hosts including Mr Hannity, Maria Bartiromo, Lou Dobbs and Jeanine Pirro “endorsed at times this false notion of a stolen election”, claims that the former president and his allies continue to amplify as he seeks re-election to office in 2024.

“I would have liked us to be stronger in denouncing it in hindsight,” Mr Murdoch said in a sworn deposition, according to court documents.

In sworn questioning by lawyers for Dominion, Mr Murdoch was asked whether he believes “that the 2020 presidential election was free and fair.”

“Yes,” he replied. “The election was not stolen.”

In a 19 November 2020 email to an associate, Mr Murdoch wrote that Mr Trump’s “stupid and damaging” fraud claims made him “increasingly mad” and a “danger” as president.

“Apparently not sleeping and bouncing off walls! Don’t know about Melania, but kids no help,” Mr Murdoch wrote.

Court documents with uncovered emails and sworn depositions in the case have revealed Mr Murdoch providing Jared Kushner, Mr Trump’s son-in-law and a senior White House adviser, with what allegedly amounted to campaign advice, magnifying the network’s intially-reluctant alliance with the former president.

Mr Murdoch, the executive chairman of the Fox Corporation, admitted in a sworn deposition that he gave Mr Kushner a preview of a campaign advert from then-candidate Joe Biden’s campaign and appeared to offer him debate strategy to pass along to Mr Trump.

“Do you think it is appropriate for someone in your position to give a heads up to the opposing campaign about what the ad of the opposing campaign will show before it is public?” an attorney for voting machine company Dominion Voting Systems asked Mr Murdoch, according to court filings.

“I was trying to help Mr Kushner,” Mr Murdoch said. “He’s a friend of mine.”

I'd say that Dominion is more concerned about the damage caused to their reputation because of the lies on Fox News.

I think Dominion is certainly not just about the money.
If they take the money- then it is about the money- unless they get an apology to go with it. I hope they take Fox to trial though

@JayShams

The judge announced on Monday morning that he was the one who decided to delay the Dominion vs. Fox News trial's start from Monday to Tuesday. He said he instructed jurors to return tomorrow morning

Judge Eric M. Davis told jurors in the Dominion v. Fox trial not to read any media coverage of the case, he said

Judge Davis then held a brief sidebar conference with attorneys representing Fox and Dominion, with white noise playing over the court loudspeaker to obscure their conversation from the public.

(This is normal in sidebar conversations, btw, for people who haven't watched trials before.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77
Back